Tumblr blog verses WordPress blog

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

I recently created a Tumblr blog for articles that have been idled here. I move those hubs offsite.  I was using WordPress.

The reason I have switched to Tumblr is the ability to incorporate Google Ads via AdSense.  I am able to have one 250x250 ad (sizes can vary, your choice, as well as placement) in the prized upper right of the screen.  Plus, I am able to incorporate ads into individual articles.  They show at the bottom of the article and my choice is a small banner ad.

I do make earnings via Google Adsense with a recent $103.00 payout.

Now that I have a few unique posts there, I do feel I will start the process of having Google take down the URLs on the WordPress and then move the material to the Tumblr blog.

1. JimTxMiller profile image76
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While I prefer writing on the WordPress platform, I , too, recently moved my primary blogging to Blogger for the same reason, access to AdSense.

1. Arielqiao profile image59
        Arielqiaoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never knew that I can use Tumblr blog to earn money. My Tumblr account has been baaned. It said that I was too promotional because I submitted too much content that I published in Hubpages.

1. India Stone profile image61
          India Stoneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never knew you could be too promotional on Tumblr. That's a lousy thing to ban someone for.

2. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dale,

Hey I was just about to post a question on how to add adsense to my Tumblr blog. I already have an account for adsense but can't figure out how to put an add on there, and what is the limit for ads on tumblr. I assume one is for free?  Or do we have to purchase the domain first.

I have had a Tumblr and Adsense account for over a year, and I am starting to see Tumblr getting some traffic and good syncing with other sites.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In all honesty I can not remember, lol.  I do remember in order to do it, I did a Google search.  Sorry about that, it is just that I have been setting up various blogs to see how things work out on each and can not remember specifics.  Right now I am working on Blogger as others in this thread had told me things have changed there, and I do like that layout and the ease of adding ads to the page.

On Tumblr, you have to insert code into the html.  A pain, I assure you.  I display two ads there.  One on the side bar and one at the bottom of each article.  All involve  pasting code.

On Blogger I set it up once, simply by clicking once or twice, and presto, each blog will display an ad at the bottom and then I have the ad automatically inserted in the right side-bar.

1. profile image0

Ugh, I was afraid of that. It is a pain to add the code in the html. Usually adsense has a limit for ads on sites that are not run by them and that you do not own. Blogger is a breeze for setting up and arranging all sorts of ads there as it is run through Google. I don't know if you are aware but you can also sign up for various companies that are affiliates for Google. For example: since I mainly write about food I will get invited to put an ad for Nestle or other food related sites and get paid when someone clicks and goes through the motions for that ad.

Blogger has really allowed users to personalize their main blog page, you can put ads on either sides, or wherever you see fit. I just go around and see other popular blogger accounts and see how they set theirs up.

You can really get side tracked on trying to configure the best set up, but since is it a Google thang you do get indexed quick if the content is good and you post everyday.

Thanks so much for the info. I will have to research that for tumblr, coding is a real pain, but in the name of earning:)

Thanks for sharing the additional information about Blogger!  I will check into what you have suggested and be sure to browse other blogs on Blogger for other ideas. smile

Good luck on Tumblr!  I still have a blog there, but not sure just what I will do in that regards.

1. profile image0

Anytime Dale!  If you like designing and tweaking your own visual effects for your content, then you will have oodles of fun on Blogger. Tumblr is basically the same thing, but I am finding out you have to do your own coding, but they are starting to sync with certain freelance writing sites and that is great for me for any new job prospects.....Just make sure and Have Fun!!

I am having fun. smile  One of the things I did do, was go to GoDaddy and purchase a .org domain in my name for five bucks annually.  I have applied that domain to my Blogger blog at no charge, and Blogger continues to host the blog.  I do like that ability as well.

1. profile image0

Great, great idea Dale!  All the best, and put a link in your profile here if you can!

I do have the link under the little icon up there at the upper right, Also Follow Me On.... smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                  Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dale, I know you're experimenting to find the right place for your blog, but I just want to caution you about starting up too many.

Assuming most of your sites are broadly on the same topic - spirituality, Paganism, Wicca - then they have so much more potential if you bring them all together, and build a site which can become the go-to site for that subject. 

The old model - which was still the best option only a year ago - was to build several sites, each on a different aspect of your main topic, and cross-promote/cross-link them.  That's old hat now - Google has said it wants "authority sites" so its algorithm is likely to go more and more in that direction. 

I know you already had a couple of sites and I'm wondering what your objective is in starting more?   If you discipline yourself to concentrate on one or two sites, you'll build them much faster and it will pay off more in the end.

Having a blog with your own name is a good thing, but it's only of value if you use it to build your reputation as an author and start creating ebooks which you can promote on the site.  That's not as hard as you think, and I bet you have a lot of material you could use.  It's fine to reuse articles already published online - I have one which gathers together all the articles I've written on flamenco on various sites, for instance.  A good length is around 20,000 words.  Lissie has a blog on the subject:

http://lissowerbutts.com/

Thanks for sharing. smile

The WordPress blog is deleted and the Blogger takes the place.  I have imported the material off of WordPress into Blogger, and publish from that library of material on Blogger for right now.  The WordPress and all articles were submitted to Google for removal of URLs and cache in search.  I have checked and this has been done.

The other sites I have are not blogs...the one spiritual site is strictly Pagan related and educational.

Another site is a Pagan news site, that share articles from others....not a personal site of mine.

I also have a commercial site that is Pagan related for pagan items and that is not a blog.

The Tumbler blog is up but I will probably take that down as well.  So actually, I only have the one active blog, the Blogger blog.

I have been tweaking the Blogger blog all day today. The Google ads have been in place as well as an affiliate link to my domain provider.  Today I added an Amazon capsule to it. 

Then I went back and started tweaking all that I have published so far from my imported material from Wordpress.... Checking links, adding photos and videos, etc.

Actually I have no interest in more than one blog.  At one point I had let the blogging go and focused on HP and did well, however now that I have had 40 hubs idled here I needed to revamp and get a blog up and running and have transferred my idled material there.

eBooks have been considered and as I am an Amazon seller, I have a place to put them rather easily....however, somewhere I have lost some time....did days not used to have like 29 hours in them or something?  Or.....*gulps* could I actually be slowing down in my abilities, lol.

However....I, the Virgo that I am, am shocking myself.... I CAN NOT come up with a name for the blog... I mean Dale's Rants, Raves, Reviews and More simply is not going to make it, lol.  I need something spiffy, unique and sharp to pull those people in and make Google jump on it, lol.

It is not "just" pagan related, as I do blow off steam at times and share other things...So I can't go with just a pagan related name..... *scratches head*.... Wait!  I need to stop scratching the head!  I used to have hair up there before I started scratching! smile

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Thank you for the info, Dale. Could I ask you why you don't use Blogger? Does it limit you too much?

I have used Blogger in the past and still have two blogs there, just not updated.  I went from Blogger to WordPress and now to Tumblr.  It was a real problem, back in the day, trying to implement Google ads on Blogger when I was there. I hear it has changed for the better now.  Out of all three, I like the feel of WordPress much better than the other two, but no ads there.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. I had paid for a domain and had WordPress on that with ads. But I hadn't considered doing free Blogger or Tumblr.

I had contemplated the WordPress domain and using their software for a site.  It is used by many companies as well as individuals, but until I win the lottery, that one is on hold. smile  I do have sites up that I own that is hosted on Bravenet out of Canada.  We pay right at 100.00 year hosting for various sites/domains on the same account using websites built by my wife. smile

I will see how the Tumblr works out and maybe provide an update in six months or so.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I would never recommend the free version of Wordpress.com to anyone and I'm surprised you even considered it, since there is no way of ever monetizing it.  The ideal is to use Wordpress.org software on your own host.

It would be worth checking how much bandwidth you're using on your Bravenet hosting.   I have several sites on my Hostgator hosting. They're classified as sub-domains even though they each have their own domain name, so I don't pay any extra for hosting them.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't understand why you would need to 'win the lottery' to use Wordpress.org. For one domain it might cost you as little as $7 per month for hosting (through Hostagator) and probably not much more than $9 for a domain name for the year. Definitely no need for a lottery win to pay for this, and the Adsense revenue should more than cover the cost if you put enough effort into the content on the site.

A templete cost is what I was talking about.  Not hosting.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just use one of the hundreds of free templates, and then customize the colors and pictures.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Exactly what Psycheskinner said, there are hundreds of excellent free templates available.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/browse/popular/

Then you have to pay to have it on a server.  That is an average of an additional 100.00 a year.  Trust me, I have checked into it, lol.  I have websites I own and have them on servers and I know the costs involved with hosting your own domain.  I own eight domains.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Just to clarify, in your earlier post you said that it wasn't the hosting you were saying was expensive, it was the template, which was why both Psycheskinner and myself said about all the free templates available. It seems that your last post infers that it wasn't the cost of the template you were worried about after all, it was the cost of the hosting/server, which I said in a much earlier post here is only about $7 a month so didn't require a 'lottery win' to pay for it.  I confess I am now rather confused Dale. I have two websites, both using free Wordpress themes and both hosted on Hostgator (the Server).  When I said it only costs about $7 a month I was referring to Hostgator's fees (which I opted to pay for a two year period at the time). I don't pay anything else at all, and on the 'Baby Croc' package I am on I can host as many sites as I want and it won't cost me any extra. So apart from the approximately $9 each that I paid for my two domain names, in total I only pay about $84 a year for the hosting, and that is it (apart from the obvious costs for my personal Wi Fi internet access at home). Basically you could have all 8 of your websites on the Hostgator server for about $84 a year total and have no further fees to pay apart from domain name renewals.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

You're probably confused because so many internet "gurus" say you must buy the Genesis theme or the Thesis theme etc etc etc.  Some of the recommended themes are good, but if you can't afford them, it's not the end of the world.

I have always used free themes - there are thousands of them out there.   I have bought a few themes but in all but one case, regretted my purchase in the end. 

There is one very highly respected theme framework which is free:

http://themehybrid.com/

It is less well known, but the themes built on this framework are mentioned in the same breath as expensive themes like Genesis.

If you want support, you need to pay to join the club, but the support is so fantastic and extensive, it's worth doing.

Thanks Marisa.  I shall check into it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I can't say enough good things about them, frankly.  I am useless at coding, so the $29 for membership of their club is priceless to me.   If I want to change a font or tweak an aspect of the design, I just post on the club forum, and back comes the answer with the code written, ready for me to paste in.

2. jaymills profile image72
                  jaymillsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every theme that I use for Blogger is free. I use one called WPzine from http://btemplates.com it has one with slider and one without in the same file. Almost all wordpress themes have been adapted for blogger now so if you type in  free wordpress themes for blogger. you will have more choices than you can think of.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I'd stick with that, if I were you.   I got banned from Tumblr for linking too much to my other websites, even though I didn't think I'd overdone anything.  In fact, I assume that's why I got banned, but I don't really know - they just blocked my access and refused to explain.  It's always a risk, putting your blog on a platform you don't control.

2. molometer profile image80
        molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Blogger is much easier now, to place adsense and other ads. There have been some major improvements. You should give it another look Dale.

Do have one now. smile  I have been in the slow process of uploading my WordPress articles there.  I created a file for import, however some did not load properly.  Will take some time.  Then I need to do the Google Webmaster thing to remove the url and cache from Google, and then delete the posts as they become live on Blogger.

3. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Don't know whether it is just my perception Dale, but I associate Tumblr with teenagers blogging about One Direction and being a Belieber, so I never bother looking at any of them. I would go with blogger or use wordpress on your domain.

4. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

When I had the monetized WordPress, I had to pay very little each month for my domain (less than $10) on HostGator and I felt that they did a very good job, both in helping me sign up and in support while I was running the domain. I'm thinking about a different domain now. I want to have my own domain because I want to be able to name it according to its content, without Blogger or WordPress in the URL.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

For text I would suggest Blogger over Tumblr.  Tumblr is really more for pictures and very short texts.

Blogger now has Adsense fully integrated.

I may look at Blogger again before I put too much up on Tumblr. It sounds like it may well be worth a shot. smile thanks.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80

A new blog was born on Blogger this evening.  Have spent several hours simply getting it hooked up to Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics, Google Authorship and such... Amazing how much is needed along those lines. smile  So I now have three active blogs that I can track for a while and see what works best, the WordPress, the Tumblr as well as the Blogger.

I do have to agree, Blogger has changed a lot and Google ads are most simple....just click a radio button and presto they are live.

1. jaymills profile image72
        jaymillsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and there are all the same themes that you can use on wordpress made fpr blogger so you do not have ot use the blank themes that blogger offers.

6. jaymills profile image72
    jaymillsposted 11 years ago

Hello, I have used all of the above accept Wordpress.com to me it is pretty much useless. If you are a heavy blogger that really has alot of content and are trying to market products I would suggest getting your own domain and hosting and using Wordpress.org.

With the changes that blogger has made to it's formatting and the ability to easily add adsense to your blogs it has become a great free option. You also have the ability to grab free themes from many sites out there and load them into blogger giving your blog a better presentation and look.

I use Tumblr as a spot where I share my youtube videos and post just for the linking that I will get and maybe a little traffic.

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I see Marisa Wright and Pscycheskinner have posted some great info above. I'd like to wade in with the following:

On Hostgator I pay about $7 a month for unlimited bandwidth and domains. I currently have approximately 35 hosted Wordpress websites on that account. Then each domain costs me $9-$12/year. That works out to less than $1 per site per month, and even less as I add more sites.

Wordpress allows me to easily (and freely) integrate almost any affiliate or advertising program I want, plus SEO, responsive (works better on mobile) and heaps of other things. Some of my sites are eCommerce (shops), some are directories and some have forums. With the exception of very specific membership sites, nearly everything I use is free.

Tumblr is like a highschool blog - not a moneymaker. And free Wordpress doesn't allow advertising so it's a loss. Blogger is very limited in what you can do without serious tweaks.

Get a hosted Wordpress site. Trust me. Only way to go unless you plan to become a coder.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)