Which Topics Earn the Most?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (66 posts)
  1. page1articles profile image60
    page1articlesposted 11 years ago

Writers are offered many choices in how to place their artice into a topic here at hubpages. I am curious what the community thinks are the best paying topics to write about. For example, does a recipe topic have more earning potential than the gardening topic?

Obviously, some of this comes down to article quality, etc, but lets try to focus on just the topic as a topic.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some Topics earn more than others, but the highest earning ones (e.g. business and personal finance) often have the most competition (it's harder to break out and actually get traffic).

For this reason, we recommend writing about that which interests you most- or the things in which you have a lot of expertise. big_smile

page1articlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes, but imagine the challenge and knowledge one might gain by trying and improving....

2. VVanNess profile image76
        VVanNessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that's going to be a really hard question to answer. Off the top of my head, between those two specific topics, I think gardening is going to get more traffic than recipes.

I've discovered that different topics are going to be more popular at different times of the year, and even during different periods in the country's life and Hubbers' particular lives. For example, around Thanksgiving and Christmas, recipes, decorating and family are going to be extremely popular, whereas gardening, not so much.

You might consider writing articles that would interest those searching at this time. Being Springtime, gardening is a go!

This brings up a really good question about keyword... how often should they be refreshed? do they have a shelf-live?

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mostly the ones you can write about the best. 

Beyond that, though, the ones with higher paying keywords coupled with low competition; information that can be found in the keyword tool and google searches.

And no, I won't tell you which topics work the best for me; I don't particularly need additional competition.

Thanks wilderness... couldn't I just look at your profile and find that out? besides I am just trying to stimulate good conversation in the forums...

3. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years ago

I can tell you which topics earn the least, but I've cornered that market. I think I may have even depleted it.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image91
          Gcrhoads64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What!?! You wrote about goats and squash, too?

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, no... goats and zucchini. Surely squash made more of an impact?

Nope. It wasn't a "specialized" enough topic. wink

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
          FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. My advice to new Hubbers is "You wanna earn money on this site? Watch what I do, then do the exact opposite." smile

1. profile image0

Oh! I thought you said do *the same. No wonder!

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image77
            Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But who needs money when you have friends? :-)
            On second thought, I don't have much of either...

3. page1articles profile image60

hahaha yall are funny!!!!

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image77
        Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years ago

This is really good; Marcy breaks it down in numbers:

http://marcygoodfleisch.hubpages.com/hu … -this-site

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow - thanks for the kind comments and the attention here!

1. VVanNess profile image76

What an amazing Hub! You really nailed what Hubbers were going to be interested in. I noticed the LONG list of comments you received.

This is really going to help me choose a topic to write along with the rest of us. Your numbers and stats were an eye opener! Where did you get all of that info?

Marcy,
            I actually ran into this the other day and thought it was great; "thumbed it up"

3. page1articles profile image60

It is a very well written hub. I was sad that not one photograph had a citation....

5. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 11 years ago

I think technology does well,if you have the expertise. If you have solved an unusual computer issue, you may get a lot of traffic

1. wilderness profile image95

I did do that one - a known glitch in windows Vista that prevents hooking up to WIFI - and you're right; it has done reasonably well.

Unfortunately, Vista is going the way of the dodo bird. sad

Take heart, wilderness. With technology there will always be glitches. smile

Yeah, but that means you have to keep up with technology, and this old brain is just too worn and tired to do that.  Heck, we just got our first smart phone and haven't a clue how to actually use it beyond a simple telephone! big_smile

(Still proud of that phone, though - at least we look intelligent even if we struggle to turn it on)

There you go. A how to hub for smart phone newbies. I'm  still learning to use mine after 6 months.

Don't feel bad, my father only learned how to turn a computer on a couple of years ago and my mother still doesn't know. They both just got new phones too and the only way my mother actually makes any calls is when she "ass dials". :-)

My mom, 90, can't turn a computer on, either.  I try to keep up reasonably well with the tech I want and use, but the the rest of it - absolutely not.  For me, no interest = no knowledge.  I haven't a clue, for instance, how to use an ipod - they are of no interest to me.

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image77

Cat, 30, can't do much more than "Google" info and send/receive emails. What's an Ipod?
                    If it was just small advancements at a time I would attempt to keep up, but people are doing things that I don't even know exist and there's something new every day. Too overwhelming for me, I'll just stick to the simple life :-)

2. page1articles profile image60

How many of you do keyword research?

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image77

pfttt, I barely understand it.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How to get rid of specific viruses is another hot topic.

6. wayne barrett profile image73
        wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

I write about squashed goats and am doing just fine...I'm almost up to a dollar  =-O

1. profile image0

Oh sure *Squashed goats. Cause that's a niche. You ppl who write on popular subjects just to make money, make me sick!

2. Gcrhoads64 profile image91

Dangit, wayne, you made me look. smile

I saw a video once on youtube about fainting goats... they were funny...

1. profile image0

they are good.

2. Gcrhoads64 profile image91

i have that video on my goat hub, wink, wink.

1. profile image0

You know that hub was pulled. Too controversial.

3. profile image0
          summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What type of plant will a goat not eat?
          Nuclear Plant

7. Parallels profile image65
        Parallelsposted 11 years ago

Maybe I'm going too philosophical here, but you need to strike a balance between what sells and what you actually enjoy writing. You could write a bunch of hubs about HDTVs to try and get affiliate sales, but if you absolutely hated it, you wouldn't write the same quality as a topic you genuinely care about.

Not to mention, it's really a game of numbers. More hubs = more money, so write about something you at least have a mild interest in so it isn't torture. You won't burn out and will earn more in the long haul.

1. VVanNess profile image76

Absolutely! I even wrote about a topic I am extremely familiar with, which was weddings on a budget, and I quickly burned out and had to switch over to recipes, which I love.
          I'll then move on to gardening and home-making because I can't wait to get started. lol I plan on going back and writing another wedding article here and there because I have a specific request for them from certain followers, but in the meantime, I will write what I love.

2. page1articles profile image60

Parallels: you bring up interesting concpets for writers, but there are so many different types of writers that your answer gets a bit vague if I apply it to all writers. Copy Writers for example write articles that sell "something", though sometimes what they sell might just be an idea; whereas poets do something totally different....

8. rumanasaiyed profile image75
        rumanasaiyedposted 11 years ago

That's an interesting topic! I enjoyed reading it smile

9. John Jason Hosac profile image61
        John Jason Hosacposted 11 years ago

If you join other websites like http://www.webanswers.com/_Andlag/
        You can use your adsense account on there and not only monetize a bit but also track which topics earn you the most money. However little or much it may be depends on your activity on the site but you will quickly develop patterns to learn which topics either have the most click throughs or which topics have the higher cost per click. If nothing else it a good means of researching what you are asking about. People would be hard pressed to tell you the best categories to post in because that only provides more competition for them. Your best bet is to write hubs on what you like and know well.

An excellent answer John Jason Hosac!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I got a few good ideas for hubs at Webanswers. I didn't use there answers, but saw the questions and thought it would be a cool subject to write a hub about.

10. MountainManJake profile image66
        MountainManJakeposted 11 years ago

I feel like the topics that earn the most are the ones that are most up to date with pop culture.  Stuff that people are commonly searching for today.

That is probably a good analysis of it MountainManJake. Especially when we consider what the motivation is behind search engines... that is to help people find what they are looking for... and that would be swayed by popular culture.

11. Spongy0llama profile image81
        Spongy0llamaposted 11 years ago

I have noticed a surprisingly high yield for history and English lit essays I wrote in college and then made into hubs. I plan on writing more essays on commonly read high school and college literature in order to become self employed based purely on my university education.

I think these literature essay hubs do so well because students today are all over the internet researching for their school papers and essays. I have found the formula for the most effective title is Theme + Author Name + Work Title

For example: Honor in Shakespeare's Hamlet, or Existentialism in Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot

These are both hubs that I have written and they receive regular traffic. They don't do incredibly well, but the traffic is still regular, which is all that matters to me.

Spongy0llama: If I were to guess I would say most of the traffic to those topics is from Google?

1. Spongy0llama profile image81
            Spongy0llamaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they are. Is that not the goal?

that should be very much the goal for anyone working on adsense revenue... some topics do better within hubpages, and others do better on google... an important distinction.

12. profile image0
        Educateurselfposted 11 years ago

I agree with simone because I searched and found that most of the people's specially in today's everyone is searching personal finance topics like how to make money, tips to save money etc. And the second topic which is hot in hubpages is getting traffic to your hubbs.
        Hope this help.

Educateurself:  Do you think that will change as the economy improves?

13. SAM ELDER profile image56
        SAM ELDERposted 11 years ago

Finance topics

14. Louise Lately profile image61
        Louise Latelyposted 11 years ago

I believe that a lot of topics are seasonal but I've also noticed that controversial topics can get very popular - although I'm not sure how controversial you are allowed to be on hubpages - I have seen that many hubs about social injustices or hot discussion topics like eg euthenasia or similar get a high response (but maybe that response is mainly from the HP community...). Anyway good question.

15. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I've written a lot of gardening articles and the money just isn't there. I've even completed keyword research. There are just too many big sites out there. You might get some good Hubpage traffic, but that is about it.

There are just too many recipes out there too, unless you specialize in a certain type of cooking. Being an expert in a niche helps.

I agree with Randy. He said one time that writing is like the lottery. Sometimes I feel that way too.

Doing keyword research helps though and writing good content etc helps. I've noticed though that sometimes yours can be the best article and it still doesn't rank well on Google.

One of the things I learned this past summer about article writing is that writing quality is just not enough anymore... there is just too much great stuff out there, especially in topics with lots of competition.

16. Angela Fritsch profile image59
        Angela Fritschposted 11 years ago

Watch for breaking news or search on google adwords for keywords to see what people are looking for.  See what's trending on Twitter. Choose a topic and then write your post in the form of a list.  For example; "5 ways to make money blogging" or "10 ideas for summer fun".  See how that works for you. smile

News ideas are usually good, but they tend to have a very short lifespan.

17. profile image0
        khmohsinposted 11 years ago

In my opinion and for me study + certification related topics are the best to earn the most.

18. whatsonmind profile image59
        whatsonmindposted 11 years ago

It's not that a particular topic can give you more revenue, It depends on the users mood what they search for :-)

Happy mood they go for funny things
        Business mood they go on searching some tips
        Marketing mood they see the suggestions on Market

List goes on, I prefer to search for quotation's, funny stories etc

19. Maria Cecilia profile image83
        Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

I will just based it on my top 15 trending hubs,  my Top 1,2,3,6,12,13 and 15 are hubs about dining-in, so out of 15 trending hubs, 7 are about dining-in  at different places and restaurant, so I think readers always look for  best places to dine in and they usually found my page. My korean related hub also trends, travel hubs,  and pets related hubs too

local based informational content with value to the reader... awesome.

20. profile image0
        delleaposted 11 years ago

I would think that recipes and gardening would have fairly equal popularity.... if you use TV as a rule of thumb they have channels dedicated to both of those subjects. But I think what would help bring you more success is to write on topics that you know a lot about and enjoy, but that may also be quite popular. For example, write in recipes AND gardening if you like to do both.... don't limit yourself to one topic, as most normal people would write in several topic areas. I've only written a few hubs so far, some are in areas that I lack expertise in, but I went and did my research on those articles first to write some pretty decent hubs, and in the process I learned a lot more about those topics. I enjoy writing but I am limited by time and inspiration, Hubpages helps with the inspiration part if you read their forums and questions. But overall I would say that you shouldn't limit yourself to certain topics based on popularity... if you're a good writer and you know about a topic, writing good hubs in that topic might even get you more attention if it's a less popular topic... so don't focus on the numbers and popularity, focus on the quality of your hubs and you will surely get some attention!

21. Maria Cecilia profile image83
        Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

yeah I agree, write on things that interest you.... on things that you love the most.... obviously I love to eat and experience different food, tastes in a fine-dining restaurant and I want to record the memories but taking photos and shared them to hubpages, and I love to see how many restaurants I have visited and I just wished I did not gain weight each time i posted a hub about dining in LOL....   I also write about dogs, my favorite actress, the places that I have visited or any place in the my country that I think I should share...or at least promote. and you'll be happier to see those hubs trends....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)