Can Affiliate Marketers make truly sustainable income?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

I wonder how affiliates actually make money. If you sell Amazon books, HOW? Do you set up websites to sell others products? If so, do you all know html code to be a successful affiliate? How many products do you have to sell to make over $3,000 a month? Is your business eventually a "set-it-and-forget-it" venture? Are there any opinions on Ty Tribble's I Lead System? Tx, Dr. Mike

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's no such thing as a "set-it-and-forget-it" affiliate marketing business.  Anyone who tells you different is, quite literally, selling something.

I don't put stock in special programs that promise you secret tips or software to make you millions in your sleep, or MLM-type nonsense.  That stuff is all borderline (if not completely) unethical anyway.  Not that most people care much about that on the internet...

Write good content, place relevant ads/products on it.  Repeat.

DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

okay, i easily follow you, but have specific questions-i write a publication about dog training, and how would i get ads that benefit myself with regards to dog stuff? in other words, place relevant ads.....how do people do that specific item? tx in advance

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Affiliates do make money. It used to be possible right here on HubPages, by using the eBay and Amazon capsules.  You can't use the eBay capsules now unless you're already a member of the eBay affiliate program, and the Amazon program is under threat - so yes, you would have to create your own website these days.

If you use Wordpress, you don't need to know HTML to set up a basic site. 

It depends what level of commissions you're paid.  Some affiliate companies pay a bigger percentage than others.

I don't believe it would ever be completely set and forget.  For a start, there's a big learning curve.  Unless you sign up for a good course, it's very easy to stumble around for a year or two working out what you're supposed to be doing.  And there always seem to be things that need attention - new versions of software, Google changing its algorithm, merchants changing their TOS, etc. 

I've never heard of it.  The two most recommended courses are Market Samurai and Keyword Academy.  They'll teach you how to create a blog or website that will get readers, which is the most important thing.

wonderful info, that will help both myself and others-THANK YOU!

2. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36

affiliate companies? if you wish to remain anoymous with your sources, i certainly can appreciate that. can you name some that may not be yours or the top tier? i am curious what they would do with a "newbie". tx

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you set up your website and write some content, you shouldn't have any problems.  They don't ask to see a track record. 

I wrote a Hub called "How to Monetize Blogger" which is relevant to any blog.  Check out companies like ShareASale, Affiliate Future, Linkshare.

3. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36

okay, i will make another attempt to figure and use wordpress. i feel the headache already.......my non-computer brain is about to get shocked. who knows, maybe i will learn what a widget is and how to use it too, that would be awesome!

2. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

To be successful you need guaranteed organic traffic and multiple revenue programs and sites.

cool, i get that. any organic traffic recommendations? tx for the reply too!

1. lumberjack profile image66
        lumberjackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Write good content that people feel compelled to recommend to others.

would that be an affiliate with writing skills, or a writer who affiliates? probably a bit of both, good word lumberjack, tx.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

If amazon was your affiliate source and 3000.00 usd was your goal

You would need to sell about 37,500 in gross sales in that month. Whether that's 24 plasma tvs (reduced commish rate) or 800 video games is up to you

For a combination of aff programs these figures may be helpful

HTML is helpful but not necessary, but if someone is expecting to make an income online using websites learning at least html should be expected

no real, set and forget, but you can always try or cover obscure niches

1. carol3san profile image59
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe the only way anyone can make a decent amount of money is to work very hard at it day in and day out, and by having multiple affiliate programs.  It is not at all easy the way some people would like for you to believe, and definitely not a part time job if you want to make decent money from it.

thank you Carol-i love "hard work", i do not even own a TV so can work all the time except when i cook for the family. i would not however if i could not set it at some point and forget it and walk away.

thanks for the numbers break down-a language i can speak! good food for thought. you also remind me how big the video game market is too and that it dwarfs even the movie industry billions annually.

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I have tried affiliate programs for years..and think there way too much hype about the returns..

the basis of the question. when we "settle for less, we get it". we all have so very little sand in our hour glass of life, makes sense to settle for more

5. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Aren't you the guy who was trying to sell us some 'secret formula' that would make us thousands of dollars and saying that you could coach us to become amazingly financially successful a few weeks ago and telling us how much money you made?

If so, it just seems a bit strange to me why are you now asking for advice on affiliate marketing?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78867

1. wheelinallover profile image75
      wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno even people who know a lot can gain from listening to others. Everything anyone knows is learned either by hard knocks or from someone who has been in a certain situation. I am personally more apt to get involved with someone who asks questions than someone who doesn't.

There are very few who ask themselves a question and don't stop until they have found their own answer. Most people usually get bits and pieces of information here and there and put them together to form their own opinion or their answer to a question.

If I had not asked questions six months ago I would be broke and in debt up to my eyeballs with no hope for a future. The bet I became involved with turned things around for the corporation.

Taking bits and pieces of information and putting them together to create a cohesive whole, then constantly asking myself and others is this going to work answered the overall question. For that bet I imagine I asked at least a few thousand questions.

Now things are looking up and people are actually reading and listening to what I have to say. There is no way however I am through asking questions. No one knows everything me included, so I am always going to have questions about how to improve upon what I now have.

1. CMHypno profile image84
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I'm all for people asking questions - I ask questions all the time.

But it just strikes me as slightly ironic that our friend was trying to sell us information on making money just recently, and now is asking questions about how to make money.

It's just that there has been a long history of people on this site who pose as experts, say on SEO or getting website traffic, write hubs on the subject and then ask basic questions about the very subject that they have been writing about.

Ask questions, learn first and then write hubs and open forum posts telling other people how to do it. smile

i have zero problem with what some may consider "tough questions", you do not do what i did and be a wimp doing it. heck, i got slammed using my wife of 22 years, only marriage and kids photo whom have never known me to have to go to work and been a dad 24/7 their whole lives, so, because i made a ton "off line" doesn't mean i have made a penny on line-i also took 5 years off and did nothing but travel, play, cook, be with my wife and girls. they are older and i have decided to go back to work. because i love starting new, profitable businesses that insist on helping others profit, i never get "tired" of my work, in fact, i love it. i figure when i do figure this internet thing out, again, i can help many who wish it. thanks for the questions. if you wish to contact me directly, you can email me if you wish to discuss personal items? such as, you live within minutes of where my son lives. a successful entrpreneur in his own right working at Gieves&Hawkes. we are all successful in our own lives, making money is not synonomous with "success". it is the goal of any business however-you do not go into business to unprofitable. warren buffet the multi-billionaire still goes to work everyday. doing what you love, and getting paid for it? that is the ultimate. smile

6. adamsbell profile image55
    adamsbellposted 10 years ago

Affiliate marketing is one of the most versatile methods of online advertising in which advertisers / clients pay affiliates  only for results / performance, like a visitor making a purchase or filling out a form, rather than paying simply to reach a particular audience.The income of the affiliate marketer is depends on down-line, its not fixed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)