What if we never really change?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

You know how in jr. high everyone is figuring out who they are?

The bullies
    The comedians
    The control freaks
    The promiscuous
    The successful
    The failures
    The abused
    The passive... etc., etc.

It seems like, by the time we get to high school, we start figuring out ways to blend in a little, and some start realizing it may not be ok to hate on ppl different than themselves... but what if... by the time we're adults, we're still the same, we've just shoved it all down where no one can see? What if we stopped being bigots... on the outside? What if we stopped having sex with every person of the opposite sex, but only b/c we got married and had kids? What if we stopped trying to control what every one said and did around us, b/c we noticed it made us unpopular? What if we just learned to control how others saw us and we haven't really grown up at all?

Forums like these bring out so much of our old mentalities, don't you think? Do you feel like you've changed the things from your childhood that were negative or do you feel they're always kind of lurking under the surface somewhere?

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

This type of question would lead me to pickup a book based on Carl Jung's archetype theories.

It all depends on what mask you are/not wearing at the time.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

So you think we wear a mask most the time then?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there are different aspects of our "self" that we reveal under certain conditions.  There is always some level of restraint on what is displayed to others.  Denial of this causes much emotional turbulence to many.

1. profile image0

Which causes turbulence? Denial of the fact that we do indeed wear masks or denial of real self being exhibited?

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 10 years ago

I've reached a point in my life where, frankly, I couldn't give a flying *fig* about what people think of me. A long time ago I asked myself one question "Do you really like the people that you hope to impress?" and the answer was a resounding "no" So why would I want to be like someone who has not yet worked out this simple life equation? I think I've moved beyond that.

The forums do bring out the worst of me though, when I'm daft enough to indulge in politics or religion. Gobby, opinionated and like a dog with a bone. But I'm learning, I'll never influence the thoughts of another who completely disagrees with my perspective, and vice versa. Be comfortable with your own principles, because that's what really matters in the end.

1. profile image0

So my question, if you don't mind me asking... is did you see some of this in your personality of earlier years? Speaking out for what you believe... not caring what others thought as long as you were comfortable with you... that type of thing?

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

http://i.imgflip.com/1t1q8.jpg

1. profile image0

I can identify with that.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I decided I liked that one enough I put it on my blog; right after my Suck It Up, Buttercup. big_smile

Living and learning. I seem to have been having all sorts of insights this week. I strongly suspect it's because of the B-Complex vitamins I've been taking.

1. profile image0

lol. Progress is a good thing.

5. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 10 years ago

I think that the people we are at that age is basically an unrefined version of our true selves. At that time, we are learning the ropes, trying to figure out what is acceptable and expected in any given situation. We take cues from those around us though most of the time, we can't pick up on the more subtle ones. As we get older, we learn to pay more attention to the people around us and how our actions affect them and, ultimately, ourselves. We begin to understand that there are instances when we should suppress parts of ourselves-to fit in, to get by, to survive. But those basics-like the list you mentioned- those are always at our core and will find their way out somehow. I have heard that our personalities begin to form as early as three years old. It's hard to change something so ingrained within us.

1. profile image0

I think you're exactly right. I think that's why ppl are so incredibly fascinating. Where ever we go, we're in adult situations, yet we face them with the same personality we had as a child. We use experience we gain along the way to show us how to act and react in different situations, but the ppl we interact with now are really interacting with the child within us as we are theirs. Pressures seem to bring that child out... he can't always be suppressed when we are faced with issues that make us feel we're out of our depth.

6. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I know there are aspects of our personality that don't always show outwardly, but it's never felt to me like a mask.  I'd compare it, maybe, to the stuff being sold at a shopping mall - lots of different stuff for different purposes, but we can't see it all from one place or another on the outside.  I don't see it as "hiding" anything behind a mask.  I more see it as not having the opportunity (if that's the right word) or reason to bring it all out and show everyone we meet.

I pretty much feel like every bit the same person as I've been since I was two or three.  I have more knowledge now, and I grew past some of the silliness that kids do or think, out of either a wish to be more grown up, insecurity about not being one thing or another that they'd like to be, or else out of the lack of impulse control that very young kids can have when something "seems like a good idea at the time".   To me, it's always kind of felt like I started out with a "simple core" that had some kid-stuff foolishness around it, and as I matured over the years it was like one new layer after another was forming around that core.  So, at "eh-hem-ty" (cough cough) years old, I have a lot more substance, information, wisdom, happiness, and sadness than  I did as a child; but it also feels that as those layers have been formed around the core, the core, itself, has also grown with me.

I kind of like it when I see signs that I'm still the same person I was at three or ten or nineteen.   smile  It reminds me that, through a whole lot of things that have gone on in life, I'm still the same person.  In other words, I've managed to survive without being changed at the core.  (I've got my insecurities, but they're generally about more superficial stuff than that "core".)

1. profile image0

Yes, that sounds right. I don't believe we should wear masks either. Im sure ppl wish I would put on more of a facade, but it seems healthier to be who we are. However, what if who we are/have been isn't that healthy? Have you ever seen an old person that's as patient and kind and beautiful as can be... and you figure they've learned a whole lot in their long life to become the saint they've become... then you meet a rotten, mean old coot and realize, they just never learned those life lessons they needed to progress to where they should be by their age.
      I was just thinking about that kind of stuff while watching all of us engaged in conversations/relationships here. I read some ppls words and I can't help but think that as grown as they feel, they're using the same voice they've been using since they were two. Our opinions seem so right in our own ears cause they match the voice we already hear in our own head, but in reality, we all have room to grow and mature... every one of us. It's an amazing dynamic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)