Parent Licensing

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image64
    ThompsonPenposted 10 years ago

I've been thinking this for a while, and I know many of you will take this the wrong way, but if you think about it, it really does make sense.
    I think that parents should have to undergo a test and get a license in order to be a parent.
    The details of how to fund it, I'm not sure, but It might be worth it to pay for it as a show of dedication (though like college there could be funding programs for it). But I think that there should be a class one has to go through which DOES NOT TELL A PERSON HOW TO PARENT, but gives the tools needed to cope with situations which might arise. For example, anger management, tools for listening to a child and especially a teen.
    I think that a money management course should be part of it which teaches the parent to be how to handle their income and if possible put money away for college.
    I repeat, this wouldn't be a class saying "this is how to be a good parent", but instead ensures that the parent to be has the mental tools necessary to assess and deal with situations which might come up.
    Another thing this course might provide would be parenting help organizations - day cares from sliding scale/free to private day cares, thrift stores, child friendly locations, and so on. Though I suppose that information could be provided on a website.
    Therapists should be a part of it for parents to be that have been raped to help them decide if they are mentally and emotionally capable of keeping the child, which would also be followed by a class which focused on extreme cases in which a child might trigger PTSD, and provide coping mechanisms for the parents.

By KNOWING that as a potential parent to be that you have to go through this, I think people would be a) more careful about accidentally getting pregnant (rape excluded), b) provide the tools for success for a parent to be and c) would show the dedication a person/couple is willing to make to ensure a good environment.

Through this, there would hopefully be less abuse and neglect, it would bring parents to be together to meet other parents and help form community, and it would strengthen potential success as a society.

Now as to what would happen should a person fail and is already pregnant, _________(fill in the blank)_____________

1. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well I think they should be made freely available, I don't agree with compulsory however. In most countries such classes are freely available at community centers etc.

ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But if you want to drive a car, it is mandatory to take a test. To handle the public's food, you have to take a test. For something as important as raising a human being, shouldn't a mandatory class be a higher ranking? But yes, if somehow government funding could be an option, then certainly free (you know, just to contradict myself smile)

2. profile image51
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You think government should control parenting too?

I mean more than they already do?

Government cannot solve problems, they can only make them worse!

see my comment above.
        I have and know how to use a hammer, a screw driver, some nails, some screws, a plank of wood, wood glue, a band saw and so on. I learned these things in my shop class in middle school. Now, I know these things. Is any one making me put this knowledge to use? No. But it's helpful to have should I want it.
        I know how to drive, I went through driver's ed. and I took and passed the test. I have a driving license. But that doesn't mean I HAVE to have a car.
        These are tools that have been provided, and I can choose to use them or not. If I want to drive, I do HAVE to have my license. I think that providing courses which give the parents the tools they need to use them as they will isn't a bad thing.

1. profile image51
          Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To what length are you willing to go to prevent freedom?

You will meet resistance.

how is it preventing freedom? It's providing knowledge.

2. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 10 years ago

Why don't you mind your own business instead?

Well I thought that since the government muddles in peoples' lives as to whom they can marry and whether or not a person should be allowed to have an abortion, so why not do something to possibly enrich a family-to-be?

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ever heard of the expression: "two wrongs don't make a right"?

what are the down sides of this?

First of all, you're not going to implement something like this without opening the opportunity up for corruption - the shaping of parenting by special interests. Since it is free, it would be the most popular form of service, and will therefore be the most attractive to special interests. Potential influences are too numerous to mention.

Secondly, it sets a precedent. Just as you say: "Since the government meddles in people's lives anyway", it only takes some media manufactured 'problem' for the populace to demand the service become mandatory, which in turn decimates individual liberty and exacerbates the first problem

Third, every government penny spent is a penny wasted, by economic law.

Like I said, it wound't be a "how to parent" class, but more just how to deal with stress, anger management as well as budgeting. Giving tools to use. A parent can take it or leave it, but it would just be the opportunity to allow them to see how they can use these tools. There won't be follow up tests following the parent around seeing if they're following up.
              No precedence is going to be set based on that logic. It was me being a smart ass.
              By that economic law, then no pennies should be spent at all, which means no education, no military, no help for families, no fixed streets. So what is government money for then?

Since every government program ever implemented has been shaped by special interests in some way, the burden of proof is on you to prove that this system will be different. But let's imagine that the program is a service and is completely benign, and is not and never will be controlled by special interests - it is still a waste of money.

Here goes the economic law: you can only figure out the demand of a product through voluntary exchange. Since government is inherently involuntary, one cannot know whether the services it provides are economic and meet the demand. So in this case: if these 'tools' were in demand, charity programs and businesses would have popped up already. These, as they exist now, represent what the public demands relative to the state of the economy.

Yes, the economic law applied means that the market will do every conceivable task better for the public than the government.

3. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 10 years ago

Big Brother!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)