Dr. William Cosby on the Current Condition of the Inner City Black

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8267388.jpg
    Community
    Dr. William Cosby a/k/a Billy Cosby has stated that many in the underclass Black community are regressing instead of progressing.  Dr. Cosby has eloquently delineated the problem of Black victimology and entitlement in such communities.   Here is the link........
    http://youtu.be/kGqlrVmVULc

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Grace, I saw the video, now that we are aware of the problem, what solutions can you suggest to start to turn things around?

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

First, there must a massive reeducation and reach out to many parents in the inner city underclass communities.   We, as middle class and educated Blacks, must educate such parents that THEIR children come first and to stress the importance of education.   We must teach these parents to be more proactive regarding their children and in their schools.  Most teachers in inner city schools are not responsive and concerned about the children in such schools becauise the parents aren't.  Inner city parents have to become more participatory in the PTA meetings and demand better educational services for their children.  This, of course, is only the beginning.    There is massive work and revamping to do in inner city Black communities to raise the bar as far as education and achievement goes.

1. islandantoinette profile image60
          islandantoinetteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are regurgitating what the white middle class has espoused to you.  To say this and apply it to the REAL world is not realistic. As someone who has taught in the schools, is an RN worked for CPS (Child Protective Services as well as a Medical Social Worker)
          let me enlighten you.  You can NOT FORCE education on anyone who is not willing and wanting to learn! Point 1. This should be obvious by now to anyone who has hands on first hand knowledge of education!  Second again it sounds so idealistic that all parents "should" get involved in their childrens PTA meetings making sure children "do" their homework etc. The majority of black women who do work are working 2 and many even 3 jobs and barely get time to sleep themselves; but still have to go to a church or food bank and stand in line waiting to have enough food because her minimum wage jobs are still not enough. Priorities dictate survival
          over want to's. The "welfare moms" that people love to talk about, are not just on welfare. 99.9% of these single parent headed families are SO and I mean SO involved in the requirements
          of "services" to just get and maintain them in addition to all the CPS families that classes, meetings, court dates, medical appts. are ongoing 24/7 that are all mandatory! Oh how easy it is to talk when one has no idea of the 50 tricks that these services will force you to go through so you don't loose custody of your kids completely.  In addition to the right to work requirements to keep your welfare, yes you must also be looking actively for a job,even if none are available you take that card and get it signed by businesses or no check.  Thirdly crime as we all know is so prevalent in the inner cities that to even get to school or even stay SAFE and I mean ALIVE in your own home is a job in itself. 
          You think it is a joke when people say we have war zones in these areas? And the police say if they had to do it all over again YES they would go through that window and kill the sleeping 9 yr old on the sofa under the window to get the suspect in the house they  had knowledge of; but it's just "collateral damage"! Well not to the mother of that child.  I will be glad to bring up the URL for this recent article, as well as the two 20 yr olds who raped a teen and threw her off the top of an apt. building. 
          These are only "stories" you hear of in the paper, but they cannot even print the too numerous crimes that go on not only daily but hourly in these neighbourhoods. I could write a book.  IT is bleak and you will say "Well you have to start somewhere".  yes you do but make it realistic to the situation not some pipe dream created by a govt. whose only agenda is black genocide by their whole "system" from birth to grave.
          Look at the privatized penal system in America, do you think it is chance that they are making big money on this AND not only wanting to keep it going but building more and more prisons everyday?
          Educate yourself to the realities of the real world instead of espousing what you hear or "they" want you to say as a middle class black who has made it. I did too! But I also have worked in the realities of life as a person of colour based upon my education and professions in life.  So I hate to "burst your bubble" but talking and doing are two different things. 
          Read this book then tell me that Am has equality for blacks even in where they CAN choose to live! The whole housing market all over the US was CAREFULLY orchestrated by the AM. Govt to put and keep black people IN the areas they are! Racial Democracy and the Black Metropolis: Housing Policy in Postwar Chicago (2012) Preston H. Smith II (Author) (Note this is not just applicable to Chicago; but as the author shows in his book is all over the US in every city!) Also poignant reading applicable to this very topic is:
          THE PRICE OF INEQUALITY:  How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future (2012) by Joseph Stiglitz, a Nobel prize winning economist.   
          When a person is looking at eating that day or feeding their family no matter what the age even some children who are on their own to survive or the shelters refuse mothers who have teens, and the male teen is on his own then to fend for himself.  Where can he get a job as a teenager to support himself, get a place to live who is going to take care of him?  This is reality my dear! So many people do what they have to - to SURVIVE - sadly - crime.  These are social issues that have been plaguing Am. and other
          countries for years! Every country has their "black" population even if they are not black they are the put in the same position by Govts' the have's vs and have not's.   You can only be thankful that YOU are not one of them! I have said my peace.  I have lived in other countries where there is no social services net work. I have lived in Jamaica in a hut with no running water, electricity, not even an out house; washing in the river. I have had Malaria and dengue fever, with no medicine available.  This is not the
          Jamaica you see at Sandals resorts and amazingly even many Jamaicans have no idea how truly many many live in the country side of  Westmoreland. 
          I AM SAYING APPLY WHAT YOU SAY TO THE REAL WORLD!!!
          And to those who say isn't 17 times enough to discuss this topic? NO NO NO 100,000 times is not enough to talk about this topic as some people need to hear things over and over again TO KNOW this is what is happening in many many peoples lives even if is not your own!

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! An amazing post. Thank you.

2. Credence2 profile image78
            Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great post!

In the face of all this and from your point of view how do we address the problem. What is your solution?

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Aren't your current 17 threads on the same topic enough?

And to those who say isn't 17 times enough to discuss this topic? NO NO NO 100,000 times
      is not enough to talk about this topic as some people need to hear things over and over again
      TO KNOW this is what is happening in many many peoples lives even if is not your own!

3. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

There is a disappointing lack of "zip zop zoopity bop" in this thread.

Not any longer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)