This is absurd

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (145 posts)
  1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image79
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

I made one of the best hubs I've ever made, near 1100 word's, has 3 pictures, amazon capsules and it's well-written and it's not passing for quality. What else do I need?

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I notice you say amazon capsules - plural.  Try removing some of the capsules.  Only place one capsule if it's extremely relevant and do it on the side near the product you mention. Multiple amazon/ebay capsules will get you on quality too.

Also, make sure your images are high-quality and either your own or properly attributed.

1. janshares profile image92
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi ChristinS. What is the best way to attribute images: letting the url be visible or hyperlinking the url to "photpin" or "morgueFile" etc? I've read the directions in the learning center. I've seen it done so many different ways. I assume I'm doing it correctly but still confused.

How I do it is put your own caption beneath that says what the picture is
            Widget One or whatever. Use your own description, unless the photo license specifically states you have to use their title. If that's the case, then place their required title on the first line.

Beneath that , on the hub it will say "source" Here you place a link to the page/image itself and then title the hyperlink so it might say Source: Morguefile  but then the word Morguefile is linked to the original source. The exception would be if the photographer requires you to list them on any public work then your second line might say "John Doe courtesy of Morguefile" or something to that effect.

Okay, I've been doing it right. Unless I use my own image, I use public domain share-alike photos 99% of the time. Sometimes if a photographer's name is within the url, I'll put that on the top line, e.g, "Morguefile - Photo by Ann." Thank you very much, CristinS.

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image79
        PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I spread them out (3) and I used proper photo's, using them from freedigitalphotos and I cited them how I'm suppose to. I tried publishing again this morning it's 3 now still pending so we'll see how it goes.

2. janshares profile image92

PoeticPhilosophy, try adding a poll and a video.

There was a poll but I wasn't really feeling a video for this one.. thanks though

I used to be so anti-video, thought it sacrilegious to dare crowd out the message of the text with a bunch of visual media. I especially hated the idea of videos with poems. I have since added several videos to my poems and recipe hubs. Take a moment to rethink it and see how the right video may enhance your work rather than cheapen it. Or maybe not! It's a totally different way of thinking regarding online writing and presentation.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Remember what I said awhile back on another thread...?

I don't like that paradigm I think I have good English.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I like you. Therefore I shall remain oblique.

4. NotPC profile image56
      NotPCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quality?

Great quality.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did you try adding a simple poll or a video?

Yes I have a poll. Video I didn't really want one for this hub..

6. MarleneB profile image93
      MarleneBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. Today, I read a poorly written hub by a fairly new hubber. By any standards, the hub should not have been allowed to be published. The hub had poor grammar and punctuation. Some of the sentences were unfinished. I had a difficult time reading the hub. Then, I read from writers with excellent skills complain about their hubs being unpublished. I'm so confused.

7. Aneegma profile image70
      Aneegmaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You may want to add a video (preferably your own) and your word count should be above 1250. Basically if you add all the capsules when you're publishing your hub then its likely to be a high featured hub. Also always check for plagiarism before you publish. Sometimes you may write good article but if some of the content sounds similar or the same as other contents then your hub will be rejected.

8. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi PoeticPhilosophy, would you mind giving me a link to the Hub you're having trouble with? I'd be happy to take a look.

2. gmv profile image80
    gmvposted 10 years ago

Hubs can either sink or swim. Try adding more to it. A couple of paragraphs can help it get featured. I added one paragraph to a hub they wouldn't even let me publish and it became a featured hub.

Thanks gmv, I'll see how the submission goes this time.

3. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I can't wait to see it when it's finally featured. It will happen.

4. BigJulesMags profile image69
    BigJulesMagsposted 10 years ago

You know what buddy?  A lot of times I just hit resubmit after changing a word or two and the score flies up.  I think it has to do with the peer review/ hub hopping aspect.  Someone just might not like your topic and you might need a better draw.  Don't take it personally (although I know it's hard not to).  Some of the stuff I write is politically incorrect and controversial so at first view it won't get accepted, then it will be featured with a high score on second submission.  Usually a poll or quiz will do the trick for me if that doesn't work.

5. BigJulesMags profile image69

Also three pics is a little low for a hub this long.  A few more wouldn't hurt your cause.  They really seem to be hyping the multimedia recently.

Sidebar: So glad to see your number has risen, BigJulesMags. Not surprised. smile

1. BigJulesMags profile image69
        BigJulesMagsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Much appreciated!  I'm relatively addicted now.  I can't stop writing.  I hope you're having fun as well smile.

Thanks for your tips big_smile

6. PoeticPhilosophy profile image79

How absurd. Half a day of waiting and yet again Deemed as Not-quality. Guess I'll try putting a video even though I don't want to.

I am going to guess with everything you have added / done it is going to be a spelling and/or grammar related issue. That happens to all of us at times. I would suggest having someone proofread it for you to see if you are missing something.  Another trick can be to read your hub aloud (or any writing you do) to see if it "sounds" right. That can often clue you in to places where your wording may be a little off.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I really do not want this thread popping up again. I mean really. Try me.

Few grammer error's at the beginning of the hub. Like I said I like writing things in my own way I don't go by particular writing rules guess you have to though, they're changed now though I'll for sure get it published this time.

You were told... Last chance because...

Now. Say something.

1. 2uesday profile image65
          2uesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean as in 'interesting' ?

I mean as in flag the entire account. I wished you had not posted this as to my not responding. And I have still not done so.

2. ChristinS profile image38

It is important when writing hubs to follow proper spelling and grammar rules if you want them to be featured. Poor grammar and spelling bring the whole site down which is why HP is cracking down on that.  In your comment above for example "there changed" should be "they're" they are... not nitpicking, but showing you how some words that sound alike are very different smile - it can make all the difference in getting your work accepted.  I like you and want to see you succeed with your hubs, but you have to be willing to take constructive criticism if you really want help smile.  It's not personal.  Hope it makes it this time! If not and you are comfortable you can send it to me privately and I can go through it for you and send it back - perhaps it would help?

1. MarleneB profile image93
          MarleneBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ChristinS, I really admire you for being willing to take the time to help another hubber. I am a former editor and the one thing I help people realize is that it is difficult to edit our own work. It's because our brain knows what we meant by what we wrote, so sometimes it shows us what we meant instead of what we actually wrote. It happens to me, too. When self-editing, the best thing to do is to put the work aside for a day or two and then go back to edit it. Or, as you suggested, let someone else read it and edit it for you.

I shall call this 1 of 3 before HP discovers.

what exactly is the problem here paradigm if you don't want to see the thread unfollow it for heaven's sakes. We were trying to help someone out and you are allowed to do that on forums.

You are 2 of 3. Please don't make it 3.

Thanks Christin, you give amazing advice smile That paradigm dude got me all sketched hahaha... W/e.

Still here. Still your friend.

8. Bryan Mangan profile image61
    Bryan Manganposted 10 years ago

If you want your hubs to be accepted, USE PROPER GRAMMAR!  It's amazing how many times you forget to capitalize or use an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one or have awkward transitions or even blatant misspellings.  It seriously looks like you take quantity over quality, and that is the wrong way to go.

Yeah I guess I need to hire a editor eh hahaha.

1. gmv profile image80
        gmvposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Make that AN editor.

loool, don't start.

1. LLambie profile image75
            LLambieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Definitely worth reading up on the rules regarding apostrophe use. I spotted a lot of errors on your hubs for that.

9. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

In case you were feeling at all good about yourself today...

Do I really want to do a kill today? I guess so. Done.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quit it, I have no idea what you're talking about.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

Blank, blank, and done. Pri@ck me, sorry. Didn't want to.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

Man, I really do feel bad about this. Sucked into it, again sorry.

You got issues buddy, what 'exactly' did you flag me for. I did nothing against the rules so idk where ur heads at.

You are Engrish. But I still like you.

..? Ok then. Anyone want to tell me what I did against the rules on this site ??

You have broken no rules.

Would you like to play?

2. HollieT profile image82
            HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It isn't that you have broken any rules, at least, none that I'm aware of. However, and I'm not saying this to be mean, your grammar, spelling and punctuation need some serious work.

You write as if you're texting. Whilst you say that 'you like to write in your own way' this site has been heavily penalised for poor quality content, amongst other things, and, as such, the writers on this site who do write well and have put a lot of effort into their work, have lost earnings.

HP is attempting to improve the overall quality of content, which, after having read some of your hubs, is *probably* why your hub has not been featured. I'm not just talking about a few typos, we're all guilty of those, but you really do need to re-write them- or they'll no doubt be unfeatured at a later date.

I'll definitely go over them. This is my first time writing for a site, I started 2 months ago I wanted to get all my knowledge out there to help people for the better and post some poems.. Now this dude flagged me so idk what will happen.

1. HollieT profile image82

It's not personal. It's just that we've been having so many problems with Google penalties that we have to make sure that content is up to scratch. It's good that you want to go over them. Keep a dictionary and/or thesaurus with you when you re-write them- I'm not being patronising here, even seasoned writers will have one or both to hand. The more that you write, and re-read and correct, the more you'll learn and the better your writing will become.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Sadness. You are a god man that is being persecuted for English not being your first language. Not your fault. You are almost there. Do not quit. I really do like you.

Nah dude, you perfectly understand my writing but because your being so actual and looking for the rules your gonna play that part. Yeah if I cared about all the punctuation and presentation about my writing It would be just as good as yours. I could go over it all right now and probably make it better than you, so don't even play that game I'm just typing and trust you to use your common-sense. If we were in person you'd see, clearly I know English. So go deal with ur issues and stop postin here.

Resignation.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
                    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Poetic Guy.  Try Bubblews.  Less assholes, less rules.  More fun.

More money too.

3. ChristinS profile image38

People like paradigm are not helpful, he wants to feel superior by bullying people in a thread you started seeking help for a hub.  If you want help with it and if you will accept it, send it me via email and I'll help you edit and go through.  English as a second language is difficult.  Most people here on their high horses also screw it up.  The fact you are actually asking for help improving your hubs says a lot for you.  People can be constructive without being mean.  Real writers don't have to bully others into submission.  I'm sorry you got flagged, it was not called for.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

ChristinS wrote:

"People like paradigm are not helpful, he wants to feel superior by bullying people in a thread you started seeking help for a hub.  If you want help with it and if you will accept it, send it me via email and I'll help you edit and go through.  English as a second language is difficult.  Most people here on their high horses also screw it up.  The fact you are actually asking for help improving your hubs says a lot for you.  People can be constructive without being mean.  Real writers don't have to bully others into submission.  I'm sorry you got flagged, it was not called for."

You are so wrong. Visit my profile.

I have and what's your point? You come here to someone else's conversation pushing people around, counting down threatening to flag something that didn't break anyone's rules because you didn't want to see it.  I could care less what you say - it's how you are acting that creates the impression you send to others.

I for one am happy someone is seeking ways to improve. When you bully people on the forums, guess what? They stop seeking help and asking for suggestions - how does that help hubbers grow? 

When I started writing, I appreciated those with experience helping me - not piling on like some of the people in this thread have.  You're display here is shameful, your profile isn't going to fix that.

WOW! I'm not kidding. I retreat. Period.

1. Ella Quirk profile image83
          Ella Quirkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've been misunderstood here.I can see that much.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Perhaps he could try writing in clear English then.

1. Ella Quirk profile image83
              Ella Quirkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well that's true but then he wouldn't be paradigm.

It seems bizarre that he should criticize publicly another Hubber while starting endless god awful threads that are essentially garbage.

Mark, you say that about your own writing.

I'm out.  What was I thinking?  You get paid for this on Bubblews.

13. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

And this is why I don't do forums... ever. I don't know why I chose to visit here today.... sigh. I'm out.

14. PoeticPhilosophy profile image79

Well would you look at that. Just like I said, I noticed the few grammer errors I had and said it would be for sure published now XD. I just wanted to use my own words but I'm going to take everyones advice, edit my hubs to make top quality big_smile This motivated me thanks.

15. profile image0

And the curtain goes down.
    All the players go to sleep/start their day.
    End scene.

*applause*

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

But I shall not because I can do that.

1. profile image0

* can't

17. paradigmsearch profile image60

Actually, maybe I am a prick. Let us try that. OP is exempt, I shall visit elsewhere. I can do that.

1. profile image0

Don't feel bad. If you believe in God on the religious forum, you're like a child molester.

Trigger B$h. Try again.

1. profile image0

Shoot... Im totally lost again.
          Just trying to lighten the mood. Maybe if we just all let it go, the matter wont seem that important tomorrow.

Agreed.

18. HollieT profile image82
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

PP, this is not my only sub, I've been here a couple of years. Ok, your writing is brilliant and it's absurd that HP have not published your hub!

Ok obviously your all about what he's about so stay outta my business and mind ur own. No need for argumentation.

Then why are you arguing? You're the one resorting to personal insults. Take a chill pill.

Haha that's funny.

Alright I'm cool now. After getting flagged and hearing you say I had crap it got to me. Sorry for the rant haha but I'll try to improve thanks for all the advice everyone this went toooo out of proportion.

I didn't say it was crap, I said it needed work.

I am reasonably certain the poor thing is dead. We very seriously tried. And so it goes...

19. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Let's see if HP notice this.

I have rarely read such a load of pompous twaddle in my life.  Incoherent insults veiled as advice.
    Yes, lets see if the mods pick up on it.

Perhaps they will also move half a dozen other 'fun' threads to somewhere more appropriate.

This area is supposed to be for help and advice.  Occasionally even real information not some playground.  Perhaps it is time for another hilarious meme.

Agreeeee

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

You remind me of me.

20. Mavis Hazelton profile image62
    Mavis Hazeltonposted 10 years ago

Just keep going into it and slightly change it eg change a couple of words.  It will probably get featured soon

21. gmv profile image80
    gmvposted 10 years ago

Hubpages is trying to filter out the junk on it's site by directing all of the traffic to featured hubs.  I have 8 featured right now, but I'm working on many more.  If you have mistakes in your hubs or low quality images you can definitely expect for it to not be featured, because Hubpages wants their hubs to be mint.  We've been having trouble with low quality hubs and google is sending less people to us through their search engines and it is hurting the revenue of all hubbers.  A guy I talked to was making 20 bucks a day off of Hubpages and he is now making around 2 dollars a day.  Hubbers just need to work on making more quality hubs.  My goal now is to make nothing but featured hubs.  I only have a total of like 25 hubs, but from now on when I write a hub, I expect it to be featured.  If not I'm going to re-edit it so it will live up to the standards. I just hope HP can get out of this recession.  I would like to actually make money off of this site one day.

Wall of text. Not saying a bad thing. smile

22. BigJulesMags profile image69

You can have all your hubs featured, that doesn't mean they're being read.  I have hubs with scores in the 90s that only get 3 views a day.

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is the difference between meeting HubPages standards and pleasing Google Search's constantly evolving requirements and also being able to second guess what the online searchers want to read about.  I have n't a hope of achieving all of those, so I just write what I want and let the people who want to read me find me.  Some of the high earners left after the 'Big Bad Panda' rolled through here years ago.

23. BigJulesMags profile image69

It's going to take a little extra to get noticed.  Right now, I'm trying to analyze the situation and find out what it is...

BigJulesMags, when you find out will you let me in on the secret? smile

24. BigJulesMags profile image69

I read somewhere from some stat-head that his theory was when a hubber chooses a specific niche, like a blogger, google liked them better and they developed a more loyal following.  I looked at your hubs and you're a little like me in that you enjoy a wide array of subjects.  Unfortunately, I think that's what's kicking our tails in.

Tbh, my sub's doing ok at the moment, no doubt because it's a new sub. Mostly I write about conservation issues, but I've thrown in a bit of WW2- God knows why. lol

I don't really know the answers, some think a niche account is the way to go, and others disagree. Your sub could start to do well though, at any given time. Google's a strange beast. And it's only two weeks old, I've just noticed- so give it some time. You might be pleasantly surprised!

25. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm just dropping by to make amends. I had no idea what was going on here until I was clued elsewhere about it. I really did just want to help him. Check back on my history and it is readily apparent.

Your just a little troll eh. I've never understood the mindset of one, you do a countdown as a threat and because no-one listened to you, you flag me. Yeah clearly helping buddy that's just you doing your trolling. On top of it like a low dude you purposely thumbs down my work and try giving it the worst ratings you can get when it's excellent knowledge that could change someones life. SOOO pathetic, hubpages needs a block button so you can't even know I'm on here.

Wow. If there ever was a failure in communication, this is it. If you check back to my first posts, it is blatantly obvious that I was trying to help you as a friend. And you know what? I understand and still am. It's ok. I really do want you to prosper. Seriously, why wouldn't I? All is well if you wish it to be. It is up to you.

26. HollieT profile image82
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

And therein lies the problem. The content is excellent!

27. profile image0

Im still curious as to why you were talking about killing someone and it appeared as if you called me a b*tch... but I was hoping I had misinterpreted. lol

who are you talking to Beth

28. profile image0

ruh roh

29. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

On the plus side this apostrophe business has provided me with some inspiration - so thanks for that.

Its' al'l money.

I reckon, and call me what yo'u like - but the vast internet out there could not care less.

If your ambition is to write a Wiki page then I guess they might be important but for peeling potatoe's and selling toa'sters?

Come on.  Who are you all trying to kid?

1. profile image0

M"ark, please stop the bothering of others'es. were all fine with'out you"re input?

Im just spending a couple of moments while the dollars spin round at Bubblews. Gets tedious checking it constantly.

I don't think anyone over there cares much about the apostrophe.  Or Google. Call it a hunch.

1. profile image0

I haven't been back since the day I first signed up. Do you think I'm a millionaire yet?

Ya need to do the hard miles lady!

1. profile image0

Normally I would google that saying, but I think I can suss it out.

I think it's "hard yards" - so bit of a mistake.

Cue three hundred forum posts telling me what I can do with my latest hub.

30. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Why all the ang'st. Apostrophe's are so simple really!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This made me giggle. smile

1. profile image0

Someone should write a hub called "Appropriate Apostrophes"... and if it makes money, I want 50%.

31. kkingcrabb profile image73
    kkingcrabbposted 10 years ago

I have over 25 "featured" hubs and most of them have a 60 something hub score. I have hubs that are not featured yet have a higher score, this is confusing to me and I want to know how this is determined.

1. profile image0

Dice.

Is this a word association game? Can I play?

32. kaiyan717 profile image86
    kaiyan717posted 10 years ago

Just run it through a grammar check and you will be featured.  The most recent one, first paragraph suggestions.  Like there's no tomorrow is what you are trying  to say I think.  Last sentence of the same paragraph, your should be you're.  Stuff like that will get you flagged, although the comments to this should get you enough reads for a while.  Good luck with Hubpages and welcome.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)