EDGAR MITCHELL, ROSWELL, NASA, AND UFOs

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8300959.jpg
    Apollo 14 astronaut Dr Edgar Mitchell maintains that UFOs/aliens have visited the Earth and made contact with humans many times, but that each visit and contact was covered up by NASA and by the United States government (as well as by other governments). Mitchell claims that the aliens resemble our image of  fictional aliens (of "ET" fame); that the aliens possess technology far superior to our own; that the aliens are not hostile. Mitchell also claims that the Roswell UFO incident is real. Mitchell's claims have been denied by NASA.

What is your opinion of Mitchell's claims?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are so many things that are covered up by the powers that be.  It is presumed that if the truth was out, the masses of people would be alarmed as "they are not at the level of understanding" and "will become overly apprehensive and fearful."   There is more to this universe than meets the eye.  One must be astute enough to do research and read beyond the convention things presented by media.

1. profile image0
        mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you think that there will be---at least within the foreseeable future, any disclosure (however minimal) of some authentic alien contact (presuming, of course, that there has been something we can call contact) and considering the possibility that Mitchell is right?

The government is going to be ever more guarded regarding this.  It is their opinion that the "masses" are not ready or are incapable of such revelation.  In order to know about the UFOs and other visitations, one has to read books that are beyond the conventional purview.  Conventional publications will refuse to publish such books and other forms of media.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Definitely real. Acceptance is hypothetical at best by most individuals. Many encounter "alien" beings of sorts and varying of essence. Whether it is as we are conditioned to believe a designed imagery is of  no consequence of their presence having existence. Years ago they were called angels and accepted by one or more sects of people. Another inferred them to be gods and goddesses and too were accepted. If you see an angel today you are considered a greater lunatic than someone who saw an "alien" from outer space.

An interesting study if you like angelology is to create a time line of sightings over history while integrating sighting of "aliens" as a parallel time line. The expansive gap between both angel and UFO or Alien sightings from the first century until the late 19th century and an explosion of sightings in the early 1900's offers a bit of pondering.

Questions arise with growth of religions and reliance on the past as evidentiary for belief systems and acceptance of other forms of life as essence(s) or an essence(s). As history leads into the twentieth century when "Alien" forms and UFO sightings increased we discover science prevails as a present day evidence overriding past experiences as myth, religious, or unbelievable, so must be of God or gods and goddesses.

Does man need a new belief system of proof of another life?
      Does man need evidence life varies by planes of existence?
      Does man not needing revival of religion need a science based proof of other life forms?
      Does the conflict between science, spirituality, and religion have its base on belief systems of other life forms seeking their dominance of belief systems in their universes? Do they exercise those experiments upon here and us humans seeking evidence to exercise in a homeland, planet, solar system, or galaxy?
      Could that be an action of evangelizing other planets with new empirical evidence to support today's unaccepted, yet rational systems of belief?
      Is there a transcending transition on a galactic level we are just incapable of reasoning with our limited ability to rationalize the empirical evidence based on planetary experience and not an individual experience?
      Or, just because a few are able to do Calculus does not mean everyone can do Algebra. Can we not say that logic applies to acceptance of aliens as being simply another form of life as essence and defined as each individuals capacity of cognition allows?

I dun'no for sure, yet my vote is aliens as purely and simply another format of the form of essence do exist. I think it is determined by each individual's ability and capacity to accept rather than believe as so. Sometimes a nod of the head to what is real is greater than a bow to what is believed.

tim

1. profile image0

Thanks Tim for your thoughtful comments.

I agree that aliens exist, but I strongly doubt they've visited our planet---at least not physically. Do do wonder, however, if contact has been made in some other way.

1. tsmog profile image83

Good thought mbuggieh. Your studies with NASA and etc far exceed mine for sure. I stopped studying NASA around Apollo 11 when I was in my freshman year of high school. Said with a giggle girls kinda' caught my attention then. Seems family and elders thought focusing on school work and scouting offered more opportunities than space travel and girls both. Go figure.

Apollo 14 fell far to the wayside for me with mid-terms about that time of the year if I remember it being January of my Junior year. Girls were on the forefront still, yet the push for classes to better entrance to a college or university was prominent with mindsets. Then those rocks were much more important to my younger siblings by 4 or 8 years.

I do wonder of the moon trees and their existence today from the germinated seeds I just read about. Not sure what the significance would be for the seeds other than they were in a similar environment other than weightless for a bit and a byte and maybe G-force offering a variance of energy changes. Not sure. So, could we not say those seeds are alien since they are different or not, said with a giggle of jest.

That causes a pause as to how is an alien life form is defined anyway. I really do not know. I understand what a UFO is being simply "Unidentified Flying Object." Or, in others words "not of any classification as yet until determined or discerned at a later time." I can remember chasing after odd and funny aircraft when I lived in Palmdale, Calif on my motorcycle when we rode the near 40 miles to watch the runways at Edwards Air Force base. Boeing and other air craft manufacturers were located at Lancaster a neighboring city too. They flew test aircraft from Edwards.

I once had the privilege of seeing a real odd air craft with a very wide wing span. My friend Brian and I were traversing upward on a semi-steep hill on our motorcycles in the Mojave desert. Nearing the top we grew closer almost to side by side.

Then it passed over us encompassing the sky as we crested that hill climb. Like the sky just disappeared and all we saw were silver wings. Scary enough that we both dismounted and ducked thinking it was crashing, even though it was actually taking off from Edwards on the other side. From that experience I can only imagine what seeing a UFO could be like. Simply scary as cognitively there simply is not anything to compare it too if not an image in our own brains subconscious memory. Or, it would not compute, therefore must be a UFO or an alien . . .

tim

1. profile image0

Thanks Tim.

I agree UFO does not/should not mean instant alien presence. I've seen many "unidentified flying objects"---most of which turned out to be airplanes or birds.

As you note, living near an airbase one sees all sorts of "UFOs". I am always amused that those who insist that UFOs are aliens also insist that  all of  the strange craft that people see near airbases must be aliens because aliens are attracted to airbases. Kind of loopy and circular reasoning...wink

1. tsmog profile image83

I've been out and about so slow return. I agree. It is like even if there were, while not saying there isn't, alien technology there has only been theory as to the "how" or "how much" while focused attention is always on the "what, where, and when" as "why" becomes speculative.

Presumption A: Yes a spacecraft or two were discovered from crash sites. Could the simplicity of design be all that was gleaned. One may presume the technology of instrumentation would be unfathomable. No dictionaries you know what I mean.

That means some of those UFO may really have been a UFO to the common person, yet the specified and employed by those test sites like Edwards, Area 51, and who knows could mean something else. That object that flew by may have been a model XYZ-009632. One of the original three models constructed may have been modified becoming a 3rd generation with wings that automatically sweep back after mach 3.

No real difference than say a Pentium Smithfield vs. a Woodcrest vs. a Clovertown much less I-3 vs I-5 vs I-7.

Or, who is to say with technology as it is today with a computer and its architecture it has not advanced to the stage where a Holographic Projection can actually monitor wind resistance, structural changes, and etc with a real time projection that lasts only a moments or minutes. Then the switch is turned off and it simply disappears. No big thing they do it for magic tricks on TV all the time. Old technology one would say. Another UFO explained by the probable with the known possible.

Have fun imagining and wondering while pondering . . . one smile at a time . . .

tim

1. profile image0

Thanks Tim!

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not convinced, after all who says that there is intelligent life on earth? Compared to any advanced civilization capable of  interstellar space travel. we are at the stage of 'stone knives and bear skins. We might have well been bypassed by such a species as 'too primative'. In spite of all of our effort, there has never been any truly verified and documented cases.

Contrary to popular science fiction, I actually think that Earth and intelligent life thereon are not a common occurrences through out the universe. The chances of another advanced civilization coming into our neighborhood over the narrow period of time that we had the technological wherewithal to discover and recognize it for what is, is the equivalent of finding a needle in the haystack.

That fact becomes more apparent each day.  Intelligence is quite a rare occurrence on this planet. The average person has a herd consciousness and mentality.  Extremely sad to say the least.

1. profile image0

About the notion of a herd mentality---I must agree. And yes, very sad---especially in a culture that relentlessly claims non-conformity as its ideal.

2. Credence2 profile image78

If any truly advanced civilization visited us on this planet, I would be embarrassed.

2. profile image0

The chance of their being intelligent life in the universe and the chance of that intelligent life happening upon us are independent variables, and possibly, mutually-exclusive.

The Drake Equation (though it has no unique or final numerical value and is not a perfect equation) suggests a range of 1000 to 100,000 civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy alone.

The vastness of the universe coupled with the travel distances within just the Milky Way, however---and if the laws of physics are static throughout the universe, preclude travel, and therefore, contact and exchange in any meaningful and physical way.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Mbuggieh, After reading a litle about the 'Drake Equation', I remain unconvinced that many of the variables that go into the equation are not speculative. It is interesting to think about. But considering all the odds, for the forseeable future the odds are much higher that from our perspective that our earth and life upon it is unique. After we have sent probes to Mars, there is still yet to found any evidence of life, past or present, nor any trace of organic material. The estimated range of 1000-100,000 civilizations is so broad, it is hard to really use it as yardstick. Most interesting though.

And like you said, we just as well resign ourselves at our current level of technology to the probability that the chance of any such contact is next to none. With our limited life spans and "C" we are effectively boxed in.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Whether or not any alien stuff has happened, I think Mitchell is a bit of a fruit loop.

1. profile image0

Some things that trouble me a bit about Mitchell:

His his claim that  (while on returning to Earth on Apollo 14) he had an experience in which he became unaware of his physical body and became conscious only of his spirit self;

His efforts to engage in psychic communications from space with people on Earth;

His claims that a remote healer cured him of cancer;

His willingness to embrace common conspiracy theories.

Ah ha, sure.  I take Mitchell's claims his regarding the aftermentioned statements with a grain of salt.  He is exhibiting some schizoid tendencies.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

There is no possible doubt that Mitchell is correct, except for the small matter that some aliens are hostile, just as some humans are.  There are at least three definitive documentaries that plainly show this to be true and they are now readily available to anyone with a questioning mind.  Copies are available for around $10 apiece, to cover duplication costs.

Google "Men in Black" for more information, or even "ET" although it is limited in scope and does not show the government complicity and coverup.

1. profile image0

If Mitchell is accurate, then should we expect disclosure from the government any time soon?

A new book called AFTER DISCLOSURE by Dolan and Zabel considers the probably experiences of a post-disclosure America and post-disclosure world. In notes for the book, Edgar Mitchell says that disclosure is "inevitable".

I've been reading and watching just about everything that is available out there and I am just not sure.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suspect you'll get more accurate information in "Men in Black".  At the very least the aliens have been videotaped.

1. profile image0

Are you talking about "Men in Black" in terms of an actual documentary (and not the Hollywood film)?

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile  No.  The movie.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)