Michael Jackson Memorial Service-What did you think of it.

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Midnytefire profile image62
    Midnytefireposted 14 years ago

Thousands of people had the opportunity to attend the memorial service of Michael Jackson on July 7, 2009. Millions of people watched Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Brooke Shields, Usher, Michael's daughter Paris and many more pay tribute to the King of Pop.

Did you watch or attend the memorial? what did you think of it.

1. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very respectful and sad.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Although my husband is ill , he as well as several members of his family attended as they have known the Jacksons for years. It was a beautiful service, however I believe it is now time for the family and friends to grieve for the friend, father, son, cousin that they so loved. All of us love and will always love Michael but the media needs to step back and ask themselves, what if they were in the limelight how would they feel if someone was always yapping about them. I realize everyone wants to know Michael's business , however he was also very private so somethings should be left unsaid.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad the Jackson family were able to say goodbye like this, it will help them in this most difficult time.

1. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what Michael would have wanted as he loved his fans, so I believe they did the right thing. It was for Michael and it shows you the love that the Jacksons have for one another, I do have to say I am glad too.

3. secondreview profile image60
      secondreviewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was wonderful and sensitive and reminded us that this was his funeral day.   We had a real life pied piper with us for 50 years and now he's gone.

2. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I have better things to do than to idolize someone like him.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously you did not watch it, why post here?

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right, I didn't watch or listen because this whole thing is commercialized nonsense for making more money and attaining more stardom for those in attendance. There are real heroes out there who have earned recognition but have not received this type of publicity.   

What about the heroes that have fallen serving and protecting our countries?  What about the everyday people who help others with kindness?  Where is their coverage?

Midnytefireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You had taken the time to look at Michael Jackson in a different perspective and if you would have watched the memorial program you would have learned that Michael Jackson has made alot of contributions to the everyday heroes.

His song "Gone Too Soon" is about a young boy named Ryan who died of AIDs.  Michael dedicated this song to Ryan to express to the world the need for more research to cure this disease.

Michael also sang the song "Heal The World" to show the world the suffering that is taking place in other countries.  He created the Heal The World Foundation which is a charity organization to assist in improving the lives of these children.  He sang " We Are The World" in which 44 musicians sang with Michael Jackson to put out a charity single to raise funds for famine relief in Africa.

Michael visited terminally ill patients in hospitals, invites them to his shows.

Donated to many charities

Donated all the money he receives from his Pepsi commercial to the Burn Center for Children.

Has several scholarship funds

Makes terminally ill children's dreams come true before they die.

His song "Man in The Mirror" proceeds go to the Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times which is a camp for children who suffer from cancer.

I can go on and on....i will make a blog about all his work. 

Give the man a bit of credit.  You don't have a clue how many contributions Michael has made over his lifetime.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have seen a lot of coverage. Our news today began with the death of two Canadian soldiers. No one is ignoring them.

Most of the people appearing seemed genuinely touched and I would hate to be so cynical as to think it's always about money...

2. getpaidtopost profile image41
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean like him, as if he was some piece of shit on your shoe. What better things have you to do any how, O I yes you have to write crap like this I forgot, sorry.

3. laringo profile image61
      laringoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a very small thing to say.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm watching a replay right now. Brooke Shields brought me to tears, so did Jermaine singing Smile. I also saw a clip of Paris earlier that got me going. It was a tasteful tribute.

1. getpaidtopost profile image41
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG when Paris spoke, my heart broke, I feel so sorry for the kids. A world idle, a legend, a god in many respects has parted company, He will be deeply missed. however the legend of Michael Jackson will live on for ever.

2. Midnytefire profile image62

Yes, there were some quite emotional moments. Usher and the daughter brought me close to tears. Brooke did her best to keep her composure. She lost a good friend.

4. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I believe it was done very well and respectful of a man who was the ican for the music industry. Yes, I also saw the child speaking about her father which will indeed seal the custody case in the future for the Jackson family.......

5. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I was horrified when Paris got up there. I couldn't imagine any one of my kids at that age getting up in front of a church audience and talking about their recently dead Dad, never mind millions and millions of people. And she clearly was uncomfortable with it.

Brooke Shields brought me to tears. Paris got the Mommy hair up on the back of my neck.

6. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Since Michael Jackson's death hundreds of children have gathered at the gates of Neverland.

Police have said that they will let them out once they find a locksmith.

1. flread45 profile image60
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a whack

1. laringo profile image61
        laringoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being unkind and joking about life and death is an all time low.People who live in glass house should not cast stones. Say a prayer.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How unkind to make jokes about the dead?

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm Australian. We do that.

Look up chaser eulogy song at Youtube.

I think people quickly slap a coat of paint over the stuff they don't want to see.

Was no one else horrified when Michael Jackson got interviewed and spoke about sharing his bed with young boys?

There's no doubting his talent and showmanship. But that's not a good enough reason to put him on a pedestal and worship him.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Awwwwww...Beautiful and sad all at the same time !!

He was part of alot of our childhood through his music and dance.

I sniffed and cried my way through the afternoon.

What an tribute those kids were.( they sure looked healthy, and adjusted to me.

Havent the media made up alot of crap through the years though?

R.I.P Michael smile

8. laringo profile image61
    laringoposted 14 years ago

Michael's impact on the world was phenomenal. It was a beautiful memorial service for a man who contributed so much to this world for everyone. His legacy will live on and on despite the haters and doubters. God Bless his soul.May he rest in peace.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Amen

9. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

The whole circus represents a new low for humanity.

T.K you sure been to some strange circus's then?

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First there is the 'celebration' of a guy who was very likely a serial child molester, then there is the very worst of what the media (and the souless, mindless zombies who are their absolute unquestioning thralls) can do to whore out the dead guy's corpse for every second of 'entertainment' and air time they could possibly get and then some.

Likely?...The USA Constituion states..Innocent Until Proven Guilty..

I do agree that as usual the media will glutonise themselves over it ,part of the culture ( no I think its very wierd) to be obscessive over anyones death.

But Michael was a human being first ,and entertainer second.
          I never idolised him (everyone is not in the same boat) I loved his music , his performances made you smile that was the bottom line , his style and talents made many people, for many years feel great!!

10. Midnytefire profile image62

Guys, please don't give these negative people the power on this forum post. They want attention, please don't lose focus. Let them get their attention somewhere else.

What a fabulous tribute Michael received. Let him Rest in Peace.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should have added to the title thread: "...provided what you think is in line with my sentiments"

11. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I thought it was fitting and tasteful, full of beautiful words and performances. I wrote an article about it for the Examiner and am getting loads of pageviews, which just goes to show how much he was loved. EVERYONE is googling all-things MJ. Glad I got to watch it.

12. enderw1ggins profile image60
    enderw1gginsposted 14 years ago

I cried tons today

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL And what to joke about if not life and death? smile

14. Midnytefire profile image62

Thank you to all who actually READ and responded to the QUESTION in my post.

15. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

he's a whack, I AGREE, but the kids never asked for this.

16. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

Midnytefire: you are right, we shouldn't judge anyone, lest we be judged ourselves.I wasn't a fan, and I didn't like the things he did, but it doesn't excuse people tearing him down when everyone has faults. And, there are three little kids out there who will never here the end of what people thought of their dad, which will be forever damaging!!

17. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

It's all good...I guess.  It seems like a canonization of yet another super star icon figure, which I just have never understood.  Same deal with Princess Diana.  People almost hysterical.  ?

And, OK, fine.  But does the coverage have to be on CNN 24/7 with disregard to real news?  What's up with that, is the more important question.

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have read and seen so much hyped junk about this family for thirty years or more.
    Despite all the bulldust, a few things are true.
    The Jacksons are musical magic as a family.
    Michael Jackson is such a big star, his light will not go out.
    We have been given much wonderful music by Michael Jackson, and the lies and hate directed toward him probably won't stand in the daylight.

well said!

19. nikitasnow2 profile image61
    nikitasnow2posted 14 years ago

he was really loved

20. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

but I still would have put my foot down if he ever invited my son to visit his house.  Even if his music was good and he gave money to charities.

1. lashaemrey58 profile image59
      lashaemrey58posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was a scheme to get his money! After the first scandal why would you allow your child to go to his home? (if you felt that he was in fact a deviant towards children?)Money is the root of all evil!

21. N.Q profile image61
    N.Qposted 14 years ago

That was one of the most sad time of my life.. I had tears in my eyes.. The performances of the song "smile" and " I"ll be there" were very touching....But still I feel he is there with all of us.. LONG LIVE THE KING..

22. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I'm glad it was done in good taste. My eyes went watery when Paris spoke about her Dad. It was also nice that it was broadcast live all over the world.

23. lashaemrey58 profile image59
    lashaemrey58posted 14 years ago

First I want to say to those that are accusatorial, when we sit here thinking on his life we have no idea of what this man went trough, you criticize, you judge, and you have alot to say on all his so called negatives, you act as if you were there for all of his allegations! Let me state in a firm and loving way you would rather watch the news about someone being accused of molestation and believing it rather than thinking he's innocent until proven guilty, this to me is ludicrous, foul and inhumane! I know first hand what it feels like being accused of doing something I didn't do! I Hope it never happens to you, but of course you would want people to sympathize with you, because you deserve it! Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you!

That being said, the memorial showed us a very differnt side of the entertainer. It showed how human he really was! It showed the friend side, Father side, brother side, and son side! This put everything into perspective on the fact that he had a life outside of his fame and glory, the side we did not see!
    It showed us that outside of his accusations he kept pushing for the good of all Human Kind! He faught for the weak, and made things happen in a large scale! It helped us remember that we too can push beyond our limits and make this world a better place! The service was done in great taste and they remembered all the GOOD that MJJ has done! Not just as the greatest Etertainer, but a humanitarian, philanthropist and a family man!

24. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

We just watched the "Dangerous" Tour last night. It was 18 years ago, I believe in 1992. Michael did a great performance and seemed totally together at that time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)