God Bless America

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image52
    AnalogousMethodposted 10 years ago

What a great country. Let me tell you a story about a man and his wife.

This man worked hard for "the man" for a decade out of high school, and lost his job. His wife was working on her degree. He started looking for more work, but the economy was bad due to everybody and their dog setting it up for failure.

So, he took charge and started his own business, risking everything for the American Dream. After a year of working 80+ hours every week, he finally started to see success. Maybe now they will be able to afford those children they have talked about.

In 2014, he will be able to pay himself a respectable $80,000. Yay for the American Dream. It's only $19/hr, but that's not bad for what he built himself.
    But, of course, let's not forget about income taxes. $71,500. Yay for the American Dream.
    Oh yeah, state income taxes too. $66,750. Yay for the American Dream.
    Oops, forgot to pay self-employment tax. $55,400. Yay for the American Dream.
    Oh yeah, he has to buy his ACA insurance. $49,256. Yay for the American Dream. Ok, so he made $11/hr. Still good, right?
    Mortgage. $31,256.
    Property Tax. $29,256.
    Food: $23,000.
    Gas:  $19,000.
    Electricity: $17,000.
    Self-funded retirement account: $9,000.
    Car payment: $6,000
    Miscellaneous expenses: $4,000(Don't forget his health insurance deductible is $12,000)

Not much left for having kids, saving for college, dealing with emergencies, or anything else, is there? Not to mention tuition for his wife, books, or any other expense you could imagine.

America. Land of the free. Where a man who works over 4000 hours a year and creates an $80,000/year paycheck for himself can possibly looking at having $4,000 of actual disposable income. Where a man pays $25,000 in taxes and doesn't have enough left to be able to responsibly think about having kids. Where a man pays 30% of his income into taxes, and watches the government spend $6 billion on a broken website, or spend $150 million to study why lesbians are obese, or spends $250 billion on its inability to live within its means.

It's broken.

1. profile image0
      TMDHemsley17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well put, my friend.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely let's look at a better system.

Man is born... his parents can't afford to pay a doctor for the birth and so have to do it themselves, he is born breach, he dies.

Yay life before taxation was so much better.

OR maybe he is lucky and survives his birth and doesn't get sick then someone breaks into his home, he calls the police and... oh wait the police don't exist. Life was better before taxes.

Then he grows up (like my father) in household too poor to afford schooling so he never learns how to read... as a consequence his chances of having a job at all in the modern world are pretty slim.

Or maybe he gets lucky there too and get's married at which point an army takes all he has and rapes his wife because there is no army to protect him, life was better before taxation.

Or maybe the mining company a few kilometers away contaminates his water source so he goes to the court for a redress of grievances... wait courts don't exist either... So he just complains to the mine which sends a few heavies round to his house to beat him with pick handles. (Used to be common practice).

Or maybe he just dies at that job he has because there is no such thing as workplace safety and companies are more than happy to expose their employees to dangerous conditions or lock them in highly flammable buildings.

Or maybe he gets lucky there too but his house catches fire so he calls the fire service... which doesn't exist and comes to help him on the roads which also don't exist, life was better before taxation.

How people can be this blind is beyond me.

1. Josak profile image60

Oh and don't forget he is probably dead of or crippled by Polio since the Polio vaccine was developed by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis.

and if he gets cancer his survival chances are basically Zilch since Chemotherapy was created on British government funding.

Or actually probably of just a common infection since Penicillin was discovered and purposed in publicly funded universities.

Or Tuberculosis since streptomycin was developed in a public research facility.

etc. etc.

Hooray for no taxes.

2. profile image52
        AnalogousMethodposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Somebody missed the point, and went straight for the scarecrow.

How people can be so obtuse is beyond me. If I mention that it's ridiculous for the government to be spending money studying lesbian obesity when the taxpayers are struggling to survive, THEN OMG U WANT BABIES TO DIE!

If I mention that it's ridiculous for the government to spend $250 billion a year on nothing(interest), THEN OMG U DONT WANT POLICE SO THE WORLD WILL BURN.

1. Josak profile image60

No your diatribe was a rant about taxation as in you listed all taxes. If you list all taxes then all services provided by them are relevant.

Otherwise go back and change your diatribe.

Pretty simple really.

1. profile image52

I didn't say all taxes are wrong(they are, but I can concede a minarchist government). I simply stated the current situation, and I didn't list all taxation.

You seem to be of the mind that someone must accept all taxation or be against all taxation.

It wasn't diatribe, it was an illustration of how large our government has grown. Support it 100% if you want, but some of us don't want to see our money wasted so much.

1. Josak profile image60

"Oh yeah, state income taxes too. $66,750. Yay for the American Dream.
              Oops, forgot to pay self-employment tax. $55,400. Yay for the American Dream.
              Oh yeah, he has to buy his ACA insurance. $49,256. Yay for the American Dream.
              Property Tax. $29,256."

See you listed all these taxes, well guess where those taxes go? To the things I mentioned.

I don't agree with a lot of government spending, I think we spend way too much on the army for example but this seems to be where the public consensus lies so yeah.

1. profile image52

All I did was list how much money goes to each type of taxation. You're taking information out of that post that isn't there due to your bias.

If you had to give 100% of your income to taxation, would complaining about it mean you wanted no taxation?

2. Josak profile image60

As for Obese lesbians do you know what Fleming was studying when he discovered Penicillin? (probably the most life saving discovery in modern history) he was studying Staphylococcus a harmless bacteria found in dirt. By comparison the Lesbian obesity research is far more likely to be life saving.

Preliminary research indicates there is a connection between genes that lead to weight gain (through the thyroid gland) and the genes that cause female same sex orientation, it is possible there will be a correlation between the two in genome patterns allowing the study to isolate genes both correlating to general weight gain and/or same sex attraction, isolating these genes is important particularly in the first case as people with weight gain genes often require more specialized diet and medical treatment to correct hypothyroidism.

Long story short isolating genes that control the thyroid will allow doctors to predict ahead of time people who will have serious thyroid issues and thus prevent the myriad of problems caused by thyroid issues which affect tens of millions of Americans, basically the study might end up saving millions of lives and is potentially important to many people who are not gay, the study is not being done for the benefit of the LGBT community but for the benefit of people with genetic thyroid issues.

I know science isn't really you field... that's why actual medical researchers want this research done... because they actually understand what you don't have the education to understand.

1. profile image52

The role of government in research is an entire topic we could go on and on about. At best, it's a waste of time and resources. At worst, it's a huge waste of time and resources.

Yeah, you can discover great things accidentally, but you can also waste a lot of time and money studying crap.

Studying obesity isn't for the common good. Studying lesbian obesity is even less for the common good. Regardless, you are far too fixated on one example, while simultaneously ignoring the point that the example illustrates. You're attacking it from both sides, which doesn't make any sense.

Since I don't want to waste time arguing over medical research, let's focus on the example I posted that is 1600 times larger than that. $250 billion a year spent on interest, and that amount is getting ready to double.

Why should a self-employed guy making $80k have to pay so much in taxes that he can't even think about having kids, when the government is just throwing away hundreds of billions a year on interest?

1. Josak profile image60

You again posted about that research. It is for the common good to study thyroid issues, I am sorry you don't understand how the scientific process works but this is it and the greatest discoveries in modern history come from tax funded research.

First you posted a list of all the taxes this person is influenced by then didn't want to talk about all that pays for so then you noted another example now you don't want to talk about that either.

Then when I prove your next one valuable too you'll run from that also.

2. John Holden profile image61
              John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Without all that government money wasted on research  you would now be weeding your garden or painting the spare room because without government money wasted on research there would be no computers and therefore no internet.

1. profile image56
                Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's absolutely not true.  Al Gore invented the Internet.

1. John Holden profile image61
                  John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
                  Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And, as we all know, the internet is a series of tubes.

3. profile image56

I, too, agree that this is well put.

4. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
      Cody Hodge5posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Um....why would he be working as a sole proprietor?

If he just sets up a S corp he can deduct a lot of those expenses from his taxes and lower his tax rate too.......

And unless your talking about his business, why the hell is this guy spending $17,000 a year for electricity and $500 a month for a car?

$31,000 for a mortgage a YEAR? Where is this guy living?

This numbers are all outrageous to say the least

1. profile image52

Wow. Ok, here's a hint. Each number is lower than the previous number. It's a running total. So no, not $17,000 for electricity. $2,000 for electricity.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
          Cody Hodge5posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok, well....

Why is this guy still a sole proprietor?

Also, why doesn't his wife work?

Is it just easier to complain instead?

5. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, let's see, he has a nice home (a $1500/mo mortgage is pretty darn nice), a car, health insurance (man people don't), a retirement account (many people don't'), and a food budget that allows him to eat regularly and healthfully (many people don't).  So, I'd say, he's living the American Dream way better than most people.  Now, working 80 hours per week is not fun (at least I don't think so), but he's choosing to do so in order to have that $1500 mortgage.  I personally raised two children on $20,000 (in 1995) to $52,000 per year (what I was making when the last one graduated from high school).  Of course, I had a modest mortgage of $600/month and drove my vehicles long past when they were paid off.  So, pardon me if I'm not buying that he can't reasonably raise children on $80,000/year.  Also, he pays taxes so he can live in a safe neighborhood, drink clean water, drive on a safe and reliable transportation system, enjoy nature in local and national parks, trust that his money is safe at the bank, and on and on. 

My oh my, what a terrible life he has.  roll

1. Josak profile image60

+1

6. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are some things in dire need of fixing, yes.   Or just outright deletion.
      Like property taxes.
      Inheritance taxes.
      etc.

Not totally broken yet, no.
      But yeah it needs a lot of repair to get it working right.

2. bBerean profile image60
    bBereanposted 10 years ago

Perhaps if he would just give the government that last $4k, they could provide him with everything they feel he needs!

3. profile image52

Just curious Josak, do you think a man who risked everything to start his own business and pays himself $80,000 should pay $25,000 in income taxes, or more, or less?

1. Josak profile image60

I think he should be making more than 80 000, as it happens there is no correlation between disposable income and taxation, the highest disposable income in the world per capita is Norway, it has the second highest tax burden in the world.

And I think there should be assistance available to reduce his risk.

1. profile image52

Why should he be making more than $80,000, and how should that figure be changed?

Do you think he is paying enough, too much, or too little?

1. Josak profile image60

Better educations, more citizen investment, better small business assistance etc. etc.

1. profile image52

Ok, ideally.

How much should the average person be making, and how much should they be paying in taxes?

1. Josak profile image60

Without meaning to be condescending...

That question does not make much sense...

Ideally everyone makes a trillion bazillion dollars and no taxes are necessary since everyone has embraced solidarity and voluntarism and non one needs anything from others since they can afford everything themselves anyway.

Sorry, I really am not trying to be insulting...

1. profile image52

You say that this hypothetical man should be making more than $80,000. I'm just wondering how much more. If you think he should make more, then it sounds like you have an ideal in your mind. I'm guessing it would involve having mostly everyone(or everyone) earning roughly or exactly the same?

And I'm still trying to get you to tell me how much he should be paying in taxes.

1. Josak profile image60

As I said ideally everyone makes an unlimited amount of money. The way the question is phrased it's impossible to answer. As long as all basic needs are met there is no need for everyone to make the same amount of money or even similar amounts.

It's not a matter of how much tax he should be paying but how much is required to do what's necessary. If it were up to me the overall tax burden would drop be the way it's spent would be very different but it's just a personal opinion.

1. profile image52

So, ideally, scarcity just vanishes?

What about in the real world? He should make more, but pay less taxes, but taxes should be spent better?

Funny that you actually agree with me on the taxation issue, at least in principle, when you made such a fuss about it earlier.

2. profile image56

There's no correlation between income tax and disposable income?  Yeah right.  I make the correlation every paycheck.  I don't need data on Norway's system to know that I'm paying too much in tax.  Local, state, and federal taxes result in the government taking more of my money than I get to keep.  Here's a list of some of the taxes that may or may not apply to you.  Personally, I pay a lot of these taxes.

There's something wrong with a system that takes the majority of a worker's income and leaves the worker perpetually broke.

Accounts Receivable Tax
        Building Permit Tax
        Capital Gains Tax
        CDL license Tax
        Cigarette Tax
        Corporate Income Tax
        Court Fines (indirect taxes)
        Dog License Tax
        Federal Income Tax
        Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
        Fishing License Tax
        Food License Tax
        Fuel permit tax
        Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
        Health Insurance Tax (Obamacare)
        Hunting License Tax
        Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
        Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
        IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
        Liquor Tax
        Local Income Tax
        Luxury Tax
        Marriage License Tax
        Medicare Tax
        Property Tax
        Real Estate Tax
        Septic Permit Tax
        Service Charge Taxes
        Social Security Tax
        Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
        Sales Taxes
        Recreational Vehicle Tax
        Road Toll Booth Taxes
        School Tax
        State Income Tax
        State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
        Telephone federal excise tax
        Telephone federal universal service fee tax
        Telephone federal, state and
        Local surcharge taxes
        Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
        Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
        Telephone state and local tax
        Telephone usage charge tax
        Toll Bridge Taxes
        Toll Tunnel Taxes
        Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)
        Trailer Registration Tax
        Utility Taxes
        Vehicle License Registration Tax
        Vehicle Sales Tax
        Watercraft Registration Tax
        Well Permit Tax

Pretty soon, we'll start taxing taxes.  Can anybody add more taxes to the list?

1. Josak profile image60

No studying other systems would be too logical you would just prefer to rely on hyperbole and personal opinion rather than actual data.

1. profile image56

Is it a fact that our government takes more than half our money? Yes.  How is that personal opinion?  Do you want to debate that little fact?

You "use" data.  You rely on twisting facts, manipulating data, and constantly belittling America by "proving" that virtually every other country is superior.  You always have some long, bemoaning story about how another country is superior.  At what point do we consider that opinion? It gets old and tiresome. 

Let me be clear.  We pay too much in tax.  Any country that takes more than it leaves is taxing its citizens too much.  Sorry that's not progressive enough for you.  If a corporation treated its employees the same way our government treats its citizens, you'd be all over that corporation.  When our government does it, you'll spend hours trying to justify its actions.  Wrong is wrong, and frankly I don't care whether or not you consider this to be opinion.  I don't care whether or not you can provide volumes of pseudo reality in the form of studies and comparisons among countries.  Moral values can't be proven, and I believe it is immoral for a country to be as greedy as ours is. 

Let's redistribute some wealth from the government back into the hands of the people who earned the money in the first place!

1. Josak profile image60

Well we don't tax more than we leave so it's good to know you don't think we take too much smile

TO be precise we take 26.9%

So yes facts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … age_of_GDP

That is NOT an opinion. Oh and that figure is from the Heritage foundation so if anything it's less.

You guys just get so riled up over imaginary injustices.

1. profile image56

"You guys"

Do you even read what people write? 

I pay tax on everything I purchase, except food at the grocery store.  I pay federal tax, state tax, phone tax, auto tax, utility tax, land tax, air quality tax, social security tax, health insurance taxes, gas tax, and probably about a hundred more taxes.  Don't tell me what I do or don't pay in taxes.  The majority of my money goes to the local, state, or federal government.  I'm quite confident other people pay these taxes too.

"We" get riled up over imaginary injustices? Stop it, I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You and many other liberals are all about sanctimoniously correcting all of the injustices in the word by expanding government.  Josak, I didn't know you had it in you.  You're really hilarious! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

1. Josak profile image60

Exactly what I mean there is the anecdotal (incorrect) opinion and the complete rejection of the actual facts right in front of you.

You said:  "Any country that takes more than it leaves is taxing its citizens too much. "

You were wrong that America does:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … age_of_GDP
                  http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking
                  http://www.oecd.org/redirect/dataoecd/4 … 771900.xls
                  http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/taxation/t … d_20758510
                  http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts … opic2id=95

The actual burden is just over 25% According to international bodies, the heritage foundation, the OECD and Congress. Links above.

Which you then completely ignore to have another rant. As soon as a fact is presented the blinders come down and conservative fact ignore mode is engaged.

2. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gotta love it.  The discussion is about how much govt. takes from my paycheck and you provide a link that implies it is 24%.

Uncle Sam wants 15%, FICA wants 7.5% and the state wants 8%.  That's over 30% and we still need to add in that long list EA provided, plus the new $4,000 per year ACA "tax".

I'll think about that as I write the checks for my RV tax ($100), irrigation tax ($139) and real property ($1200).  Then I'll think some more when I gas up the car, call my wife on the phone and pick up a little Jack to console myself at the thought of the extra taxes.  24% my eye!

1. Josak profile image60

The conversation is about how much the government takes from the American paycheck... Not your individual paycheck.

As for that well the facts are already there. If you disagree with them I suggest you write a very angry letter to the OECD, Congress (which really we all should anyway), the UN, the World Bank and the Heritage foundation letting them know you will come fix their data collection for them.

It's also not 24%...

4. profile image52

Josak, why do you insist on being condescending and insulting?

If you want to insult someone's education, at least try to use proper grammar and spelling when you do.

I don't want to talk about the government's role in research in this thread, as it's a separate topic. Yes, it's connected to my original post, but that example is only a tiny part of the current topic.

If you want to discuss a mountain, there is no point in arguing over a rock.

1. Josak profile image60

I am not insulting your education I am noting a fact, you aren't a geneticist with a specialization in thyroid ism are you?

Neither am I.

People who actually do know what they are talking about and ARE decide what requires funding (like that Obese lesbians research). Crazy I know.

1. profile image52

Yeah, see, that's not what you said.

"Science isn't you field"
        "Don't have the education to understand"
        "don't understand how the scientific process works"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)