comment capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. joeyallen profile image78
    joeyallenposted 10 years ago

I published my first political hub and it was featured as all my hubs have been.

I cannot believe how ferocious one particular political hubber is because she disagrees with me.  This one person will not stop. I answered two of this lost soul's comments and received answers that were too intense and too misguided that I decided to delete any future comments by this aggressive person. In the meantime in two days I've received over 200 new readers , the most ever but I am forced to go in and delete her comments 30 or more times in less than two days. They are still coming in. This is truly a sick person and I feel like I'm being stalked. I thought I fixed the issue at the comment capsule but I still get emails from this idiot. Very unprofessional (and sad that she will not allow other opinions than hers). This is actually what my article is about. People who are so insecure they will stalk, scream and do whatever it takes if someone points something that hits a personal nerve
    Why does this happen and how can I prevent this in the future?
    I actually should be thankful because many of my hits are because of her vitriolic comments...but I would rather concentrate on conversing with sane people about these serious subjects and not some mixed up, lost, unhappy person in search of foolishness instead of logic. Oops, she's commented again while I write this. I don't want to be rude so what do I do? Help!

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would only observe that politics is one of the two most controversial and polarizing topics a writer can choose, the other being religion.
      Everyone has an opinion, and those opinions are usually cast in stone, yet all seem to carry on as if they can change someone else's mind.  It rarely happens.
      I'd take it with a grain of salt; delete the comments if you want, especially if they are rude or abusive, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.  By writing your article, and answering once or twice, there's really nothing more to be done but move on.

joeyallenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lizzy I'm doing exactly what you suggested and have learned to take it with a grain of salt.
        thanks again, Joey

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

On one of my hubs, there are guests who are incessantly leaving derogatory comments which I am deleting.  Two of them have the AUDACITY to return thrice to leave comments but to NO AVAIL.  Such trolls are miserable and THEY need to get a LIFE. 
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8629012_f248.jpg

2. Dan Zynski profile image77
    Dan Zynskiposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure of it's an option that needs to be switched on or off - but I have to approve or reject comments here on hP before they become visible to others.

Take the criticism in stride, find the approve/reject option to free yourself from moderating him/her - maybe write another article exploring what this person is going on about.

Your tone is um... well let's just say let people be people, and let your words do the talking.

Thanks. This my first time dealing with this.
      My tone went down to her level and I have learned my lesson.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I get like this about some things smile Particularly baby or mother rights. But politics I don't get, and I do know how to back down after I've made my point.

Maybe report her? And turn off comments?

4. profile image0
    Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years ago

If you come out swinging at someone, chances are they're going to swing back.  Plus your profile says you're from Texas, so it probably felt like a double-slap in the face to Conservatives that you're a Democrat.  Rick Perry himself could be on his way to your house with the Texas Air-National Guard (that President G.W. Bush may or may not have served with once upon a time), as we speak.

You might want to refrain from calling people out.  Inflammatory remarks and "Us vs. Them" thinking are what got us into this mess in the first place, imho.

(BTW - I assumed you were talking about this hub:  http://joeyallen.hubpages.com/hub/The-Ring-of-Truth)

Right...got you.
      There are many Democratic Texans.
      I am embarrassed by GW, Perry, and especially Cruz.
      These are some of the reasons I have started writing about politics which I have avoided because of the anger it might cause.
      But, now you can bet I'll write more and respond in a more mature way. Thanks everyone.

1. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I spent several years in San Antonio.  Great place and I miss it a lot!  One thing I don't miss, however, is Texas politics! I never did get a chance to see Austin, though, and I would have liked to. 

Keep on keepin' on, brother!

2. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

As you've already deduced from the many helpful comments to your post here, you can not expect to convince people to change their political beliefs through argument and distain. Present the facts and let people draw their own conclusions. If their conclusions do not mirror your own, well then, variety is the spice of life.

5. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

1. You should be abble to approve all comments.
    2. With anything that can have an opposing side , there will. Be ready for that.
    3. You talk about her unproffesional comments. Yet, your comments aren't exactly better.
    4. Even though you have people interested in your hub, your comments regarding someone else may come back on you.
    5. Take criticism with a grain of salt. Not everyone likes it. Don't get offended if they do.
    6. Use this as a learning tool on what people think about certain things.

6. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

Don't let her get free rent in your brain.   Delete the posts and eventually "it" will go away bored.

Hey Doodle
      You are right. The instant I stopped replying SS went away.
      Lesson learned.

7. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

I would say that deleting a hubber's comments while publishing your own retaliations is questionable. For one thing, it means readers can't form their own opinion on the debate. It makes it look like you are having a rant and not allowing the other person's viewpoint to be aired. For another, it may well put people off commenting. I certainly wouldn't comment if I though it would be deleted and slated.

I got it!
      I did give this person two very long responses before I realized no conversation was going to be possible with someone ignoring what I was saying and only ranting her "talking points"...so I told her I would not respond further...then the real ranting started.
      My mistake will not be repeated by me.

Lesson learned from all mentioned above and what you are repeating.
      Thanks...I got it.

2. JG11Bravo profile image72
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This topic is actually coming in handy for me too.   I ran into the same issue the other day and was wondering how best to handle it.  Thanks for posing the question.

Hi JG I went to your site a read a couple of articles and found them informative. You have such a pleasing, even tone I'm surprised to hear you had a ranter. Which hub were they responding to?
        How did you handle it?

8. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

Good man. You probably got more than you bargained for by asking this in the forum. We've all been on a learning curve writing online. I know I'm still learning. Some people don't, and it's their loss.

Say inner
      I'm stuck at mid 80's.
      What's your secret?

1. innerspin profile image87
        innerspinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a secret regarding hubberscore, joeyallen. It's HP that keep it secret smile There's nothing wrong with your own score.
        At one time, I answered questions quite a bit, and asked a few, commented in forums more. My commenter level on hubs reached seven but is now three since I'm not as active here. Hubberscore was 100 for a short time. The numbers make no difference to viewing figures, which count more.

My score has increased 3 since all this action and I'm am still learning.
          Thanx for your comments.

Well maybe it hasn't...I'm seeing the same number up above...

9. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

Actually, negative comments add spice to your article! The more controversies it generates, the better for getting more readership! If I were you, I will undelete her comments and allow all other visitors to see how some people are so insecure. You don't really have to answer or counter every one of her postings.

CV I never thought of that!
      There have been over 210 huts in 4 days which is over 23% more than I've ever gotten with 8 featured articles in two years!

Boy I'm in major learning mode!

10. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

I have had to report some commenters for spam or just outright rudeness, not too often has this happened and it has been some time since. If you fix your settings that all comments will have to be approved by you before they are submitted, then you will have the chance to read all comments first and either approve so everyone can see the comment, or you can hit the 'Deny' button and report her.

Hi Phyllis.
      Thanx!

11. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

I say leave some of the person's comments and you will have made your point about the crazy person. Nothing like exposing this night person to the sunlight.

12. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

I say leave some of the person's comments and you will have made your point about the crazy person. Nothing like exposing this night person to the sunlight.

I'll try that next time. Thanks Shyron

13. Fatiha profile image67
    Fatihaposted 10 years ago

Leave other commentators to deal with this person. I am sure many of your commentators would disagree with her comments. You just write "Appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by".

Fatiha
      Thanks so much did not occur to me to let other commentors  deal with it...
      I'll use your phrase, "Appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by."
      Good idea

14. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

The only other thing I can suggest is to turn off comments on that hub.  You can disable further comments in the edit mode, and it can be done on a per-hub basis.

This means no one else will be able to comment, either, but it will halt the abusive trolls.

15. artsandlearning profile image58
    artsandlearningposted 10 years ago

Well, I do agree that everyone has their own opinion, and those opinions are usually cast in stone. So I also accept deleting of comments if they are rude and abusive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)