Is your name written in the book of life?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Iamsam profile image60
    Iamsamposted 10 years ago

Is your name written in the book of life?

1. SwordofManticorE profile image68
      SwordofManticorEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is yours?

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, why do you ask?

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Where is this book of life? Is it imaginary?

4. laeixx profile image83
      laeixxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Probably not.. because unfortunately, the odds of ANY of us being in this "book" (if it were real) is slim to none.

Imagine all of the billions of people who've walked the Earth in the history of all time; take the years that humankind has been in existence (200,000+ years estimated), times that by at least a million - currently over 6 BILLION (to account for all of the people alive during any given era), then divide that number by the supposed 144,000 mere souls who will make it to heaven.

That leaves less than a .00001% chance that EVEN ONE person alive today will be written in this "book" you speak of. So sadly, it looks like the figures weigh against us all! Don't hold your breath.

Iamsamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Revelation 20:15 declares, “If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” The Book of Life is the set of names of those who will live with God forever in heaven. It is the roll of those who are saved. This Book of Life is also mentioned in Revelation 3:5; 20:12; and Philippians 4:3. The same book is also called the Lamb’s Book of Life because it contains the names of those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus (Revelation 13:8; 21:27).

How can you be sure your name is written in the Book of Life? Be sure you’re saved. Repent of sin and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior (Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5).  No true believer should doubt his eternal security in Christ (John 10:28-30).

The Great White Throne Judgment described in Revelation 20:11-15 is a judgment for unbelievers. That passage makes it clear that no one at that judgment has his name in the Book of Life (Revelation 20:12-14). Since their names are not in the Book of Life, their fate is sealed, their punishment is sure.

That is a lie. The book of revelations (the Unveiling) was written before the fall of Jerusalem, and those written in the book has nothing to do with mankind, it has everything to do with the lost sheep of Israel in Judea. The penalty for sin is death, not eternal torture. This doctrine you preach is a spiritual cancer that does not bring unbelievers to believe, it makes them want to continue unbelieving.

Let us wait and see...

Wish you all the best.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
              Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I bet you've got your fingers crossed.

1. profile image0
                Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do.  Nothing would be worse than standing before the Lord and hearing Him say, "Depart from me."  and then to be dragged by angels into the abyss...

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Think long and hard about that scenario.......doesn't it seem just a bit ridiculous to you?

5. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really hope mine is!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Sing along everybody!!!

"Oh I wonder wonder wonder, whoooooo...  who wrote the book of liiiiife..."

A woman was traveling along a mountain track, carrying her child in her arms, when the child, catching sight of a pretty flower, made such a spring out of its mother’s arms that it fell headlong down the mountain side, struck its head upon a rock, and died on the spot.

Now it is perfectly clear that the safety and sustenance of the child were to be found in its mother’s bosom, and not in those fascinating flowers which were the cause of its death. So acts the believer whose life is not a life of prayer. When he catches sight of the fleeting and fascinating pleasures of the world he forgets God's love and care which are far greater than those of the mother, and,  neglecting that spiritual milk which God provide for him, leaps out of God's arms and is lost.

The sustenance which the mother provides is so arranged that it cannot be obtained without some effort on the part of the infant. So also God's children whom God bear in God's bosom cannot obtain without seeking, the spiritual milk which is able to save their souls. And as the child does not need to be taught, but knows by instinct where and how to obtain its food, so those who are born of the Spirit know by a spiritual instinct, and not from worldly philosophy or wisdom, how to pray and to obtain from God, their spiritual Mother, the milk of eternal life.

1. mattmilamii profile image60
        mattmilamiiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear Iamsam,
        A beautiful illustration. It outlines the essence of the "Spiritual Walk." At least for those who indeed walk in the Spirit. It is a journey that must be taken with precaution as well as an obedient heart.

2. SwordofManticorE profile image68

What happens to those who you think are not written in the book of life?

In the same way as animals do not admit to their society those of their kind that have come under man’s influence, how can the saint and angels in heaven welcome those sinners who have lived in intimate relations with wicked men? This does not mean that saints and angels have no love for sinful men, but the holy atmosphere of heaven will itself be distasteful to such men. For clearly, when in this world sinners dislike the company of good men, how can they be happy in their company throughout eternity? To them a heaven of that sort would be as distasteful as hell itself.

Do not suppose that God or His people will turn sinners out of heaven and cast them into hell, for God who is Love, never cast anyone into hell, nor ever will do so. It is the foul life of the sinner that will bring him to hell. Long before the end of life brings heaven and hell near to us, there has been set up in every man’s heart, according to his good or evil nature, his own heaven or hell. Therefore whosoever longs to be saved from that eternal torment, let him truly repent of his sins and give his heart to Jesus, that by Jesus's presence with him and the Holy Spirit’s influence, he may become for ever a child of the kingdom of God.

After reading your last comment, I could only shake my head. Christendom in itself with all its thousands of denominations is like a great orchestra. Everyone plays an instrument that is unturned and playing their own music and wonder why when they are finished that the audience boos them instead of applauding them. It is no wonder most atheists mock the church. You may not want to welcome sinners in heaven, so I will do it with great Joy, because I too am a sinner and I will welcome each and everyone of them while you sulk in your mansion.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

Where do you get this stuff? Have you ever read the bible?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118535#post2507188

It looks like you forgot to change your forum id when posting the same thing on two different threads.

Seems as if the mother was at fault for walking along a dangerous mountain trail with a child in her arms, very irresponsible behavior. A court of law could easily convict her of first degree murder saying she did it deliberately.

4. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is your aim to convert people to your belief? If not, then what is your aim in telling this story? What are you trying to achieve by it?

Now last time we saw the commencement of Paul's testimony in verses 1 through 18. Let me just review that in content by reminding you that Agrippa said, "All right Paul. Speak. I want to hear what you have to say and we'll see if we can get some kind of accusation out of this whole mess." So Paul spoke. And what he did is this: without going into all the detail of the outline he did this: He said, "Agrippa and Bernice I was a Jew. I mean I was a zealous Jew and all the Jews know it. I was a super-zealous Jew. I was a Pharisee. I was so zealous that I went about doing all the things I could do contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And then," he says, "One day I was walking down the road to Damascus for the purpose of executing Christians and you know what happened a light brighter than the sun hit me," verse 13, "and everybody with me and we hit the ground," verse 14. "And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.' And I said, 'Who are you Lord?' And he said, 'Jesus whom you persecute.' And you know what happened Agrippa? Jesus said to me, 'Get up, get on your feet for I have appointed you a minister and a witness and I want you to tell the things that you have seen. I have delivered you from the Jews and from the Gentiles to send you back to them and here's your message,'" verse 18. "To open their eyes, turn them from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among them who are sanctified by faith that is in me." Now that's the commencement of his testimony.

He says, Agrippa, I'll tell you my story. I was literally transformed by Jesus. He is alive. I mean I wasn't out under a tree reading the Old Testament trying to discover the Messiah. I wasn't in a Bible study with a bunch of Christians who were reigning in on me, I wasn't seeking to do anything but persecute Jesus Christ and sovereignly out of heaven the living Christ who is not dead but alive from the dead zeroed in on me and spoke to me and blinded me and commissioned me to preach and told me what my message was. Little tough to argue with that.

Now he summarizes the transformation. What he wants Agrippa to know is he is not a rebel, he is not a traitor, he is not a studied antagonist of Judaism. He has been victimized by almighty God and a resurrected Messiah has transformed his life in an instant. Now that's sovereignty, sovereign act of God in conversion of the apostle Paul. I want you to notice something before we go any further in this. Notice in verse 18 you have a tremendous pattern for the approach of evangelism. One of the questions that somebody asks that we won't get time to answer tonight is where did the four spiritual laws come from? It's just a method of evangelism. Well there are a lot of different methods. Basically the right method of evangelism in its simple skeletal form could be taken right out of verse 18. First thing to do is conviction: open their eyes. The first thing you do when you lead somebody to Jesus Christ is show them what they really are, right? I mean you can't show a guy he needs to be changed unless he sees what he mess he is to start with. You got to strip him bare. You've got to strip away his securities. You got to take whatever he's hanging onto and pull it away. And so there must be opening their eyes. This is conviction, a recognition of sin and judgment.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 10 years ago

Try this little biblical search: go to Biblegateway, pick a version of your choice and search for the term 'Book of Life'. It only appears a handful of times and makes for interesting reading.

The bible tells you how to get your name blotted out (edit the book, and hey it's only Christians who do this), but NEVER EVER ONCE explicitly how to get your name written in. Christians all assume their names are written but the bible does not say that. The funny thing is King David (blood lusting murderer)  whined to God about his enemies asking him to blot out their names, but if they weren't Christians and presumably pagan philistines or idolatrous Saul allies, how come they had their names written in the Book of Life in the first place? It seems that everybody who ever lived must be in there unless God changed the rules when the church edited the bible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)