When was the last time you earned any money from an e-Bay Ad?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (63 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8547640_f520.jpg
    Is the current situation set to remain as it is - impressions, clicks,  no payment?

1. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nothing since the change took place in September. My understanding is that it is permanent. I have removed most of my eBay ad capsules.

sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janshares
        It would be nice to know from HubPages if this situation is set to stay.  There is no point in people applying for the program if they are not going to be earn anything from it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The change was not made by HubPages, it was made by eBay.  HubPages can't tell you whether it's permanent because it's not within their control.   eBay has changed its commission setup before and could easily change it again.

Part of the change is positive, part is negative.

The positive part is that you now get paid a percentage commission when someone purchases a product (previously you were paid on a weird system based on the "quality" of clicks). 

The negative part is that you get paid ONLY if the person buys within 24 hours, or (if it's an auction) bids within the first 24 hours. So if someone "watches" an auction then bids several days later, you get nothing even if they win the auction.

On my own sites, I've changed all my eBay capsules so they display "Buy It Now" products only, to avoid that situation.   My earnings on my own sites have actually gone up.  I wish they'd introduce the same ability on HubPages but I've suggested it several times without success.

Just to be clear, eBay has never paid for impressions, they did pay for clicks but now only pay commission on purchases.

Marisa Wright - 
            The Buy it Now option sounds like a good one - perhaps another subject which could be discussed at the next HubPages Staff Meeting on Thursday!  How about another attempt at it?  Persistence  might pay off !
            I did understand about clicks as I have previously been paid for clicks.  I phrased my question badly - as I understand it, impressions are visits rather than clicks - am I correct?
            You gave a really good explanation - thank you, I appreciate your input.

Sally

An impression is when someone views the page.  The HP Ads program pays on impressions.  Adsense pays a very small amount for impressions (it's mainly based on clicks).   eBay and Amazon pay nothing for impressions and nothing for clicks.

Thanks Marisa.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I havent seen anything in months either, so I am no longer adding ebay to my new capsules, and will delete them when I get around to it.
      It kind of makes me wonder about the staff at ebay. Are they stupid? They are going to end up like other great retailers like Wards.
      I guess they figure their fifteen minutes are over, and they are going to destroy what remains as quickly as possible.

Perhaps someone needs to take a fresh look at this - seems a shame - all that effort to become an affiliate - for what!

3. Barbara Kay profile image75
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've earned a few pennies and that is it since September. I've removed most of my eBay ads already. Why have them if you can't earn anything?

I started doing the same and then got bored but yesterday I decided to refresh many of the ads to see what would happen - lots more traffic but so far no sales!

4. Breatheeasy3 profile image63
      Breatheeasy3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sallybea.
         Good topic of discussion here. I think I have only used ebay once, if that, lol. My amazon capsules have never produced any sales for me either. To be honest, I had given up on them in the past several articles I've written. I mostly have concentrated on good content and impressions to produce some residual. Not much though, but do see potential with simply producing more articles. It's a numbers game it seems like to me.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The last time I earned anything from an eBay ad? Uh .... uhmmmm .... well .... gee ! I do not remember.

2. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

Yes I understand that the change is permanent.

Thanks DWriter.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

I had earnings in October and November.  Way smaller than what I used to see before the change, but it would seem there are still a few of my Hubs for which having eBay is still appropriate.

Could I ask whether the earnings were from click or impressions or did they result from a product being sold?

I know that I had nearly 800 impressions last month and a few clicks but no earnings from any of the clicks  - for months.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can ask, but according the the TOS here, for me to discuss specifics of clicks or impressions would be a violation.  I'm not feeling up to testing just how lenient or strict the Powers-That-Be are in these matters.

relache - oops - was not aware of that - my apologies.

Sally

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I don't have e-bay, so I wouldn't know, but, I was under the impression that it works pretty much the same as Amazon, which I do have.
    For that, clicks and impressions count for nothing--the visitor has to actually buy something from your ad to earn you anything.  For me, that has never worked.  I've "sold" nothing from any Amazon capsule, so I'm not even going to apply for e-bay.
    Besides, since I used to have a presence on e-bay, and may someday return, that might be considered a conflict of interest....

DzyMsLizzy,
      I have made money on both - not much - pennies from clicks on e-Bay and also a few sales on Amazon - nothing on e-Bay since they made the changes.
      It is re-assuring to see that one person so far has made a fairly substantial amount from one sale eBay.  I might continue for a bit longer to see what happens.
      I spent a lot of time today altering my ads today - they look great aligned right with the color behind them and I can now see that I have lots of little red arrows on my pages today.
      Thanks for the comment.  I appreciate your input.
      Saly

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome--though I know my lack of experience was of  no help to your question. 
        I've had Amazon affiliate in place for over a year and a half, and have yet to reach their payout threshold.  I don't think it's worthwhile at all.
        I write about travel, society, how-to's, and such--I don't write hubs selling or touting products, and I doubt I ever will.  My Amazon capsules tend to be for books: "more information" on the topic of the Hub, or, rarely, a tool related to a how-to article.
        I debate whether there is even any point to keeping the affiliate account active.

DzyMsLizzy
          Funny how when you join HubPages one tends to focus on getting an AdSense account because without it, you can't earn anything.  Once you get that, you begin focusing on Amazon and e-Bay Ads in the hope that they too might bring in an income.  How sad is that!

I hope you've also got the HP Ads program active?

Yes I have - it is the only thing which seems to be working.  Thanks Marisa.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
              DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do, as well, though I'm not earning much.  It is exceedingly rare that I will earn as much as a single dollar in one day.  I only reach payout threshold about 3 times a year.  :-( 
              My conclusion is that I just don't seem to be interested in writing things to tout products.  I write what I want, and that doesn't draw many readers who will click ads.  Oh, well.  I never expected to get rich here, anyway.

DzyMsLizzy - we can live in hope!
                I was hoping I would reach the dollar a day before the end of my first year! 
                The best laid plans don't always go to plan!
                I tend to agree with you, if you don't enjoy what you are writing, there is little point in it at all. 
                Honestly, I hoped it might be possible to earn a little more.

Sally

2. Solaras profile image95
            Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am earning about $20.00 per month from Amazon. I selected my products carefully at first, and earned nothing. 

When I let Amazon choose products for me, I do much better.  I sell strange things that have nothing to do with my articles: hiking boots, sponge refills... fine, I will take the money lol.

Solarias
              Do you mean you a keywords when you do your selection?

I was told that you had to choose items which were based around a Hub.  If you use keywords - Amazon and e-Bay sometimes add something which i completely unrelated and I just move on until I find the right product!  If you could describe your method, it would be useful, thanks.

Sally

The advantage of using keywords is that if that particular product goes out of stock, you're not left with a blank space.  So using keywords can be good. The trick is to use several words, and use negative words if need be (put a minus sign in front of the word).

To fine-tune your keywords, try doing a search on eBay or Amazon.   Type in your keywords and see what comes up.   Then keep refining the search until you get just the products you want.

For instance say I want to display pointe shoes. I type in "pointe shoes", but I find I get souvenir pointe shoes as well as new ones.  I try "new pointe shoes" but that cuts out too many, because most listings don't include the word "new" in their title. 

So instead, I try searching for "pointe shoes -souvenir".  That does the trick by excluding all the souvenir shoes.

I have been using several words at a time to find exactly what I want.  It does seem to work quite well.   I will try out the minus sign - I learned something new,
                  Thanks Marisa.

Just remember NOT to leave a space between the minus sign and the word you want to avoid.  I often forget, and then wonder why it's not working!

5. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I made over $20 on a single eBay sale a few days ago. It was a product not listed on the hub the sale came from, so I am assuming click-throughs leave a cookie same as Amazon? It was less than 6 days ago, so I suppose it might yet disappear...

IzzyM
      Great, I am glad to hear it as I did not want to take all the E-Bay Ads off until I knew if it were possible to make any money these days.   I appreciate your very positive feedback.
      Thanks so much
      Sally

6. Grant's World profile image81
    Grant's Worldposted 10 years ago

I have made zilch in the last few months from ebay sad

Grant's World

You and many more - sad but true - hope things improve over time.

Sally

1. Grant's World profile image81
        Grant's Worldposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have many hubs that are good for ebay sales anymore. I moved them to a different site.
        I always thought promoting products would be a great thing to do but I can't usually come up with enough to say when I really don't have hands on experience with the product. Have to learn how to be more of a salesman ha ha.

Grant's World
          I never thought I would write a Product Hub as such but you probably have one in there somewhere - just think of your hobbies - body building or fishing perhaps!

7. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

No-one could have been more surprised than me at getting that sale! I have never earned more than a few cents on eBay, and this was only my second sale since the change. The rate seems to be much higher than Amazon where I normally do quite well.

IzzyM - I am delighted for you.  Here's hoping for your next sale!

Sally

8. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 10 years ago

I have never earned anything with e-bay but I'm not surprised. None of my Hubs are product-related or buyer friendly. That's something to consider. I mean if none of your Hubs are about something you might purchase off E-Bay then there's little point in trying...

Theophanes,

Many of my own hubs can be related to products so I shall continue trying.  to promote them.  Every now and then one strikes lucky!

Thank you for your comment.

Sally

9. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Nothing ever.

I am astonished - nothing in 20 months!

10. hardlymoving profile image91
    hardlymovingposted 10 years ago

I made a few dollars per month at best or pennies per day.  This was when Hubpages were evaluating Editor's Choice articles which seems to be going on for months.  One by one, articles I wrote years ago were being selected and my article visits and ad revenue was going up in both Hubpages and Amazon;  meanwhile nothing was happening with Ebay.  So I decided to delete all my Ebay ads and leave all my Amazon ads alone.  Then out of nowhere ... bam ... over $80 in one month!  However, I decided not to re-post any Ebay ads.  The Hubpages and Amazon ad revenue, over the last few months,  is good enough for me.

hardlymoving - that is really interesting, I might find myself revisiting my Hubs again and deleting the e-Bay ones.  $80 dollars in one month!   Some of us can just dream!

11. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Usually a few pennies per month, but I have never posted many eBay ads.  I did get a couple of dollars one day a few weeks ago. These things are just little surprises. I did hear recently where someone got a monetary boost from someone who bought a truck on eBay.--- not related to the hub, so some people get lucky.

Rochelle Frank - sounds like it could have been a good monetary boost - a high value item - less chance of a sale but a real boost if it actually happens.  I tried that yesterday with an Aga Stove.  Dream on!

12. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

I get a few bucks per month. I nearly always add in eBay capsules, as my state won't allow Amazon affiliates. I'm glad for the extra money.

Victoria Lynn - I would do the same if I were in your position - at least we have a choice.

13. SpaceShanty profile image93
    SpaceShantyposted 10 years ago

Today!  I had two sales yesterday!

Great,

I am delighted to hear it.  I am so glad I did not remove all my e-Bay Ads now.
      Good for you.

Sally

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
        SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be honest it was the first sale in a long time, probably because we are getting close to the holiday season.  I don't yet fully understand how it works yet, I had about four eBay sales a few months ago but didn't seem to receieve anything for it.  I always find, as with Squidoo, the products I sell are never related to the article!

Funny, I had to smile because I had an Amazon purchase today but this one was related to the Product.

14. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

Sadly I haven't earned a dime from eBay since May...and my hubs get hundreds of views..sigh

Same here Stacie - I have tried going back to my Hubs and making some changes in the last few days, by adding new titles etc.,   I have had a lot more views and clicks.    I need someone to explain to  me how to put Buy It Now items onto my Hubs which are US based.    I think that Buy It Now Items might work better than Auction Items.  Perhaps I will have to check out some older Hubs or pose the question in a forum to see if someone can tell me how to do it.
      Thanks
      Sally

It can't be done.   I do it on my own sites and I have asked HubPages to consider allowing that ability, but they won't.

I wonder why not - what could the reason be.  Did they give a reason?

No, they've never given that feedback.  Obviously it would require some work on their part to code the change, so perhaps it's too difficult.

15. CaptainJoeySweet profile image59
    CaptainJoeySweetposted 10 years ago

Marisa and Sallybea,
    I just wanted to thank you both for this in-depth info. As a newbie to HP I have found myself spending more time wading through all the ins and outs of the payment process, and less time writing content. Threads like this have helped bring a little more clarity to how things work here. Happy Holidays!!
    Joey

CaptainJoeySweet
      Welcome to HubPages - glad our discussion was able to make things a little clearer for you.
      Happy Holidays to you too.

Sally

16. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

Breatheeasy

With Christmas just around the corner, I decided to edit my Amazon and e-Bay Ads.  There could not be a better time because people are buying things online now for Christmas.  I have seen increased traffic and had one small sale.  I think it is well worth the effort as the Hubs look better and I have seen a lot more little red arrows on my accounts page. 

Sally

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)