What do you make of the HP stats?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I was updating my HP review hub and saw the vast difference in published hubs and published users compared to 2012. See below:-

Hubpages stats as of September 6th, 2012, there were:

1,158,727 - PUBLISHED HUBS
        147,603 - PUBLISHED USERS
        160,623 - QUESTIONS
        566,918 - ANSWERS
        2,183,226 - FORUM POST
        21 - STAFF MEMBERS

HubPages by the Numbers as of February 17th, 2014, there are:

884,880 Published Hubs
        67,838 Published Users
        173,817 Questions
        715,497 Answers
        2,534,657 Forum Posts
        and 18 Staff Members

Is this good or bad? Does this have anything to do with the QAP or are people just fed up and leaving for some reason? I am more concerned about the reduction in membership than hubs. I know some really crappy hubs were removed. Why did so many people leave? More than 50%!

1. Cre8tor profile image93
      Cre8torposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see that it's a microwave society. People like the quick interaction of the forums and Q&A but don't want to take the time to produce quality content.

Unless I'm misunderstanding much of what I read, Google is cracking down on low end content. If what HP is doing is emphasizing quality to strengthen it's reputation on the net and insure its' longevity, I'm okay with it. I think many who left were expecting a Bubblews type site and when they found out it wasn't and that HP actually wants GOOD content, they split. Sometimes to grow or strengthen a reputation, sacrifices need to be made. Again, perhaps I'm way off with my assessment but looking around the net, more people want to write about their morning coffee than anything with value. I've said it before when concerns like this arise, I can't imagine HP is trying to sabotage itself with a QAP...I think it's trying to weed out poor content and increase its' quality membership. (quality over quantity is a good thing I believe) Not to say everyone who left was a poor writer but you know as well as I, you can't succeed here without effort and that's something that sadly, many don't want to give...effort.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But a lot of our excellent writers left. Hubpages did change their policy about not featuring hubs for long time established writers here, but it was too late for some of them. Maybe some writers just moved on to other careers though.

I myself will stay here. It is still the best writer site on the web.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A lot of writers removed hubs that became unfeatured. I had 218 hubs myself and now have only have 179 left. It just made more sense to place them on my own websites if they weren't showing up in Google.

I don't recommend doing it. Even though these hubs weren't featured, they still got traffic. My earnings went down after I did it.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a natural attrition in engagement with HubPages.  It's not uncommon for people to sign up, publish a few hubs and then get bored, get a job, start publishing somewhere else, or whatever.   Over the course of years many such accounts will accumulate.

But, we want Hubbers that are active, successful, and that stand behind their content.  So, in 2012 we began the process of unpublishing the hubs of authors that have not logged in to their account for more than a year if they do not either log in or click a link in a warning email that we send. That process is the primary cause of the declines you see there in both published hubs and published users from 2012 to now.  The good news is what we've dealt with most of the accumulated backlog and we are nearing equilibrium.  Hopefully, in 2014 we'll actually see those numbers start to rise again.

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul. As I said, I was more concerned about the reduced membership more so than hubs since I know a lot of spam/low quality and plagiarized content have been removed.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Those statistics show publisher users, which means Hubbers with at least 1 published Hub.  If we unpublish all of someone's hubs because they were inactive or they were spam or whatever, then they no longer count toward that total.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
        LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since we are in the subject of stats, I have noticed some of my Analytics views go from hundreds to less than half (280 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon, and these are not real numbers just used for example)  in the same day. It is as if there was an error. Is this normal and not something to be concerned with?

1. RonHawk profile image62
          RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you been tracking the source of the hits to see if you can establish a pattern for where they are coming from?  For instance, if you're getting hits from Europe or Asia, obviously the hit rate would be lower during their nights, contributing to the difference between morning/afternoon hits.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Yes that's normal.  Traffic across all hubs peaks around 10am pacific time at a level that's about 30% above the median and about 60% above the trough which occurs at about 2am pacific time.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
            LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to be more specific. The views are from the previous day. When I look at the previous days views they appear as over a certain amount and when I look at them again  a few hours later they have come down to less than half.

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

I'm inclined to think it has to do with the clean up, stopping and tossing out of spam and low-quality content, etc. No way for me to know that, but that's what seems reasonable. It seems logical that if you have quality on a user-generated content site it's going to reduce quantity of both users and content. QAP will keep the quality at that level or make it better. From what I can tell, it's working. HP is doing better, in terms of traffic and the search engine.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 10 years ago

It doesn't say users. It says published users. There are thousands of people with just one hub and that hub may not be featured. Such people wouldn't show as published users.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sure they would.  An unfeatured hub is available for reading just as much as a featured one.  It isn't being found by google, but it is published just as surely as any other.

4. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

'Published Hubs' does not mean featured Hubs.  Right now, there are only 362,472 featured Hubs on the site and another 125,528 pages indexed by Google from the HP Blog, Forum and Questions.

5. raymondphilippe profile image88
    raymondphilippeposted 10 years ago

These are interesting observations. The number of published hubs per person have risen. That may suggest that the remaining writers are doing more on hubpages. I guess many of the hubs that are no longer here where there primarily for link building purposes.

6. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

Startling!  That's what I think of it.  Published Users and Hubs really started declining rapidly when writers were upset about Hubs being idled.  I thought it would have leveled off by now.  I wonder when the downdraft will end?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As I posted above, there are 362,472 featured Hubs on the site out of 884,880 published Hubs.  (On October 14, 2013, there were 366,146 featured Hubs.) If you go back to September, 2012, that's when the change was made to not make all Hubs available to search engines (NoIndex). Shortly before that, the switch to subdomains was made.

Other changes at HP since 2012 include the QAP process, 'Boot Camp' for new Hubbers, and a minimum Hubber Score of 85 to have followed links to other websites.  (You could also add to that a much lower CPM today for the HP Ad Program compared to two years ago.) Naturally, the number of published users has diminished and that was probably part of the plan when the changes were made.

7. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 10 years ago

Still sort of on topic. I'm just wondering what is the requirement or advice on how to get your hubs ranked higher on the 'featured' hubs search pages. I have 86 hubs all featured, but most are not within the first 5 or 6 pages of the hub search even in their particular catagory. Three are even 'editors' choice. My only problem is that I noticed a lot of those ahead of mine have maybe 1 or 2 followers and no comments, whereas I have 158 followers and most hubs have at least 40 comments. This is obviously not a requirement, just interested to know what is?

The hubs on those pages are ranked based on popularity. In other words those hubs are hot!

1. ilikegames profile image62
        ilikegamesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this answer, I've been wondering the exact same thing because I saw one of mine was on one of these featured pages.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Do you mean the order in which they are listed on the Topic Pages? http://hubpages.com/topics/all/1

If so, I don't have a clue.  It's not based on number of visits or number of recent visits because my Hubs are not shown in that order on the Topic Pages. I do know that a brand new Hub will appear temporarily on the first page of a Topic subcategory.

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yes I did mean the topics page Writer Fox. Thanks.

I hope an HP employee will answer this.  Perhaps you should start a new thread on the Forum so it will be discussed.

2. Cardisa profile image88

Jodah, let me make myself a little clearer and hope you understand. I don't know if you were here when hubs were categorized where people could filter the best scored hubs, the hottest and the newest. What HP did was remove that from the front end. The hubs you now see displayed on the categories pages are the hubs which gain the most traffic within the site within a 24 hour period.  These are hubs which are popular or hot within the HP community.

You may have a hub which gets lots of Google traffic and not show up on that page, yet, a hub with a lot of HP visitors will show up there. It has nothing to do with the amount of comments made on the hub.

In addition, every time the system updates, the list also updates. You may a see a hub that is two years old show up there as well as a newly published hub. If you happened to have a hub that shows up there, take a look at your stats.
          The last hub I had show up there was the hub on making money for Christmas, which got about 300 views in two days. After the third or fourth day when the views dwindled it went to second, then third page, then it eventually  disappeared. Most of these views were from within the community. Every time I have a hub show up there it's the same thing, a spike in my HP readers.

8. RonHawk profile image62
    RonHawkposted 10 years ago

I was producing about 2 hubs a week 2 years ago and I was having fun in the process.  As I started tweaking them to increase traffic HP started to flag them.  In just about each case after I spoke to the moderator and explained things (and made modifications) they released the hubs but as time went on I realized it was just too much effort to get anything out.  It was certainly dampening creativity.  Eventually it got to be too much.  I wonder how many writers lost their motivation that way and left.  I realize all sites want to have high quality but if they leave the job of overseeing things to automation it'll backfire in the long run.

9. kerlund74 profile image78
    kerlund74posted 10 years ago

I have just been here for a bit more than a week now. I don't have so much to come up with in this matter. But I do like the Quality-check, I do believe it will give a better content quality. Reading should be a pleasure:) Trying to get my first hub featured I had to try and reedit two times. After proofreading and some grammar fix I made it. I have not much clue about kewwords and SEO, my travel there has just began... But I do love to write.

1. Jodah profile image92

Well done kerlund74. Getting your first hub published is a great first step. Enjoy your writing experience here. I agree, reading should be a pleasure. I don't study SEO's or keywords at all, so I suppose that explains why my hubs aren't higher on the search page. If what makes a hub hot is what attracts the most Google searches and is based on 'keywords' rather than quality it all makes sense. Don't get me wrong some of those highly featured hubs are great, but some of the topics leave me scratching my head.

1. kerlund74 profile image78
        kerlund74posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My goal is first of all to write, share and read others interesting hubs. I think (maybe I'm naive) that writing just for Google maybe not allways makes the readers happy.

10. younghopes profile image67
    younghopesposted 10 years ago

To me Hubpages is the best site to write for, i enjoy writing here though featured-unfeatured hubs does annoy me sometimes. However in comparison to wizzley and seekyt (where too i write) i found it to be the best

1. Jodah profile image92

I agree younghopes. Hub Pages is the best writing site I have come across and I write what pleases me not to please Google.

11. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

"I write so that I might know myself "......Browning? , Tennison ?,  Its a good thing I don't write to eat ,  but hell  ya , Hubs seems to be taking an unwanted dive in connectivity  ,especially between  hubber to hubber !  I'm a poet so I can't expect to be treated like a real writer ! I know that !  So I have decided to start being a real writer ....."My next Hub ?  How to open a can of soup "with flare " on a regular basis !........watch my score climb folks , I'm agonna be a big wheel !

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes a horseback, I know where you are coming from as I'm chiefly a poet as well. I have started branching out into articles (usually with a poem contained within) and a few short stories to try to improve my worth. I did notice that hubs like "how to make the worlds best onion soup" are the popular way to go, so looking forward to reading your "how to open a can of soup" hub...just throw a poem in there and I'll be happy...lol.

Poetry Hubs can do very well here so long as you use good SEO like you should use on any Hub.  My poetry Hubs have received over 42,000 views in the past 30 days and I only have a few of them. 

Use the subject matter of your poetry as the title of the Hub and use the keyword phrase you are targeting in the commentary.  If you do this, searchers who are looking for poetry on a particular subject or with a specific theme will find your work through search engines.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks for that good advice Writer Fox.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)