Children eatting habits today .

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ErikJuarez profile image61
    ErikJuarezposted 10 years ago

Is it me or are children eatting habits today.Worst then ten years ago. I thinks so when kids love to go to McDonald's and Burger King then feed a nice home cooked meal. Maybe it just cause now a day parent's are to busy to cook. I'm looking forward to everyone opinion on this subject.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Whatever is easy and tasty. I still cook macrobiotic ally. I cook every single day. I still set the table with plate, fork, knife and spoon and sit down to eat. I am very old school. I have heard and have witnessed that mothers, since most work, pick up fast-food dinners after work and get what the children will willingly eat. The family eats while watching TV or wherever they are when mom comes home, handing out her catch of the day. Sometimes they are made to sit down at the table, but not as a unified gathering, as some of the children will be off in their rooms with tummy aches.  Recently, I babysat for a family where 2 out of 3 of the kids were routinely taking Tums.
      At Home:   
      What are they eating? Food sprayed with pesticides, processed until there is no nutrients whats-so-ever and who knows what done to the burger paddies. They eat sugar like it is going out of style in the form of candy, (which is stashed everywhere throughout the house; in drawers, cupboards, corners,) vitamin drenched gummies and processed bakery goods from Von's or Ralph's which are loaded with preservatives, bromides, and... have you ever read what all is in those cakes/cookies? They eat sugar-coated cereal and milk every morning. The kids have free range in the kitchen and graze consuming whenever and whatever they want and if their favorite cheese balls or cereal is not in the cupboard, heaven help the family!

At school: They eat pizza which looks miserable to me. They drink chocolate milk packaged in plastic baggies; mostly they are thrown or dropped/ wasted, anyway. They eat chicken nuggets coated in fried who knows what. They eat white flour rolls, cookies, and sandwiches with nitrated Baloney and yellow chemical squares of so-called cheese. These students can be observed to be either too skinny or too fat.

If you look at old pictures of baby boomers of the 1950's, anyone can see they (we) were beautifully proportioned smiling creatures of good fun and humor. Kids today are skittish, demanding, insolent and grouchy.
      Our diets have changed drastically and so has humanity.

Boy, do I hope I am exaggerating. I would LIKE to be corrected and given a word lashing.
      PLEASE!

2. raymondphilippe profile image88
      raymondphilippeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most (fast) food is manipulated to taste good. (SugAr,salt and fat). It isn't necessarily healthy. Stimulate children to eat healthy home made meals. It might be one of the most important things you can do for a childs wellbeing in the long term.

2. Cash Krysztof profile image61
    Cash Krysztofposted 10 years ago

The problem isn't with children's eating habits, it's with parents' feeding habits. A five year old does not choose what they have for dinner, as much as they might like to think they do - that's all up to the parents or other adult in charge. It's perpetuated by available school meals, but parents have the option to send their kids with packed lunches if they don't approve of what's available in the cafeteria.
    There seems to be, these days, an idea that there isn't enough 'time' to eat healthy home cooked meals because parents are working longer hours. You can whip up a meal that's balanced, tasty and nutritious in 15-30 minutes with a bit of know how. TV chef Jamie Oliver has done TV shows based on exactly that concept
    There's also an idea that children are either in charge or that they need to be satisfied. Parents have become afraid to tell their children 'no' or have taken to bribing them with sweet treats to get them to co-operate, feel better about something or put their best into things.
    We need to stop looking at children and saying "Look how bad their eating patterns are" and start looking at parents to say "Look how badly they're feeding their children."

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  It is sickening what some well educated, professional parents feed their children.  There is simply no excuse.  Don't blame the schools and teachers for your child's poor performance and behavior if you continue to feed them overly processed, starchy, sugary food stuff and 'juice' bags and think you're feeding your child.  Children need nutritious foods, not empty calories.

Yes. But instead they are given Ritalin or Adder all.

2. kerlund74 profile image79
      kerlund74posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. And i can see that it also take some time driving to the fast food place... I cook all days and it takes, yes about 20 min. And we enjoy sitting at the dinner table chatting about our day. This is so much worth it.

3. cecileportilla profile image70
    cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

Well said Cash Krysztof.  If parents say "no" then kids will be forced to eat the nutritious meals that their parents prepare. Many nutritious meals can be prepared at home in minutes. There are a lot of quick recipes right here on hub pages.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I had a saying in my house when my kids were young:
    "You have two choices for dinner:  take it or leave it."  If they chose the second option, they got nothing.
    Guess what?  They never chose the second option--they ate what was served.

By the time they were in high school, if they asked, "What's for dinner?" I'd sometimes reply with, "What are you cooking?"

Parents need to stop kowtowing to kids and be the parents!  It is up to the parents to teach nutrition and proper eating habits, and enforce same.  If the parents are too lazy and opt for fast food and convenience foods, then that's their own fault, not the kids'.
    Being busy/harried is no real excuse.  There are plenty of nutritious dishes that can be made ahead and frozen, if desired, for much healthier, home-made "TV dinner" type quick meals.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 !

Reaon for hope!
        PS Tylenol (acetamycin) stops the production of glutathion within the liver which contributes to a healthy brain/nervous system.

5. kerlund74 profile image79
    kerlund74posted 10 years ago

I of course meant that I cook every day, not all day...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)