Convention of States to amend the U.S. Constitution

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image53
    tbHistorianposted 10 years ago

The Georgia state legislature passed a measure calling for a Convention of States to amend the U.S. Constitution.  This would establish a Continental Congress composed of citizens that would work to achieve solidarity for amendments to the Constitution to restore the power to the people.  While some naysayers whine about this, the founding fathers knew that this would be necessary to limit the power of any branch of the federal government.  Georgia is the first, but hopefully not the last to recognize the dangerous path the nation is currently running.  As a loving patriot, I support the efforts of the Georgia legislature.  I have requested an audience with my state representatives to seek their support for such an effort.  How many do you believe will assist in this honorable effort?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, a measure "calling" for anything at all is nothing more than grandstanding. 

Ask your legislature to set a date, design amendments for discussion, contact other states and request their presence, etc.  DO something, in other words, other than call for someone else to do all the work.

1. profile image53
        tbHistorianposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have already penned amendments for discussion.
        We have already taken positive action.
        We will continue to take positive action.
        While you are in the grandstands, we will be marching on Washington.
        http://operationamericanspring.org/

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
          Quilligrapherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi again, TB. Your passion and dedication is admirable. I followed your link to Operation American Spring. It was very informative.

If I may make a few impartial observations, I notice you are planning to march on Washington spurred on by doctrines like those of “Operation American Spring”  (OAS) and Mark Meckler, co-founder and former member of the Tea Party Patriots. Mr. Meckler, you may recall, narrowly avoided felony-level gun charges in New York City a few years ago. {1}

Similarly, OAS documents include phrases like “Washington, D.C. in the cross-hairs” and “Go full-bore.” Combined with “Those in power will not hesitate to use force against unarmed, peaceful patriots exercising their constitutional rights. Patriots may be killed, wounded, incarcerated,” I can understand your fervor.

But, the OAS documents also include, “One million or more of the assembled 10 million must be prepared to stay in D.C. as long as it takes to see Obama, Biden, Reid, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, and Attorney General Holder removed from office.”

The problems I see in that objective involve the following facts:
          1) Reid, McConnell, Boehner, and Pelosi have all been duly elected by their party’s constituencies in their home states and they have a legal and Constitutional right to serves in their respective offices. Furthermore, the re-election of those same individuals can be prevented by the state party machinery that facilitated their nominations without the need for a camp out in Washington. These are the same state party machines, by the way, which will appoint delegates to your proposed convention. Your dreams that “the Citizens Congress will be very much in tune with the nation's needs,” might well be no more than just that.
          2)  Obama and Biden, legally elected TWICE, will leave office together with AG Holder in January 2017 without anyone having to march on Washington. 

“Those with the principles of a West, Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Lee, DeMint, Paul, Gov Walker, Sessions, Gowdy, Jordan, should comprise a tribunal and assume positions of authority to convene investigations, recommend appropriate charges against politicians and government employees.”

I gather it is your intention, TB, to completely ignore the principles of those millions of American patriots who happen to disagree with the principles of patriots West, Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Lee, DeMint, Paul, Gov Walker, Sessions, Gowdy, and Jordan. Seems like a plan to replace “tyranny” with non-elected tribunals and other assumptions of authority, just another form of “tyranny.”

“We see no reasonable, hopeful sign that indicates there are honorable, loyal, mature, critical thinking, experienced people in government that understands the chaos about to rain down on America, nor do they care… we must begin the second American Revolution”

There were 2.7 million employees on the payroll of the US government last fall, the lowest number recorded since 1966. The retired Colonel, however, claims none of them are honorable, loyal, mature, critical thinking, experienced people who are aware of current events or who care about their country. Besides the extraordinarily egotistical dimension of his statements, he is consumed by an expressed desire to re-live the “first” American Revolution in his own life time including his admitted death wish: “I will fall to my death standing if necessary.” {2}

I sincerely hope you enjoy your trip to Washington, TB. Be sure to take an extra pair of socks and a boxed lunch. smile For a former US Army Colonel, he certainly does not do much in the way of planning.

[i] “One million or more of the assembled 10 million must be prepared to stay in D.C. as long as it takes… There is not much time and the only planning necessary is to select a starting date, which we have done, and then show up in Washington, D.C. on that date, and plan to stay for the duration.” I hope you and your Tea Party leaders have worked out how to feed 10 million ravenous marchers and the million devoted souls who will “plan to stay for the duration.”

On second thought, I do not think one boxed lunch will be enough. lol

Good luck to you.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
          {1} http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/24/exclu … -patriots/
          {2} http://operationamericanspring.org/

1. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh my! Oil and water, sense and passion...
            "... and never the twain shall meet." (RK)

GA

2. profile image53

A plan executed by patriots is much better than the tyranny being orchestrated by the traitors in office.
            By the way,
            Under Article I, Section 5, clause 2, of the Constitution, a Member of Congress may be removed from office before the normal expiration of his or her constitutional term by an “expulsion” from the Senate (if a Senator) or from the House of Representatives (if a Representative) upon a formal
            vote on a resolution agreed to by two-thirds of the Members of that body present and voting.
            While there are no specific grounds for an expulsion expressed in the Constitution, expulsion actions in both the House and the Senate have generally concerned cases of perceived disloyalty to the United States, or the conviction of a criminal statutory offense which involved abuse of
            one’s official position.
            Patriotic citizens must demand that these actions be taken.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72

Hi TB. Thank you for the civics lesson. I am back, however, to learn more about your objectives.

“A plan executed by patriots is much better than the tyranny being orchestrated by the traitors in office.”

Your post speaks of “patriots” with a plan to remove traitors in public office who are orchestrating tyranny. You even reference Article 1, Section 5 of the Constitution which I imagine is part of the plan to expel those sitting members of Congress with whom you disagree. If, in fact, the ultimate plan is to expel members of congress for voting for a law that offends the Constitution, then someone should advise those 10 million marchers to retreat before they get to Washington.

"Patriotic citizens must demand that these actions be taken."

I am a patriotic citizen and I have no idea what actions you mean. I do know that passing a bill that violates the Constitution is NOT an act of treason. Leading the country in a political, economic, or social direction contrary to the will of a minority is NOT an act of treason. Spending and borrowing money in accordance with congressional rules is NOT an act of treason.

Members of Congress can not be unseated because of the manner in which they performed the duties of their office. Of the total of 20, only 3 officials have ever been removed from Congress under Article 1 for criminal activity. The other 17 were Southerners expelled for supporting the Confederacy following secession. Article 1, Section 5 can not be used to remove Senators and Representatives for their ideology.

“We have already penned amendments for discussion.”

Wonderful news! Where are they? Let us read the penned amendments ready for discussion. In particular, share with us the draft of the proposed amendment limiting the power of the federal government. Today, the US is the leading economic and military power in the world. Let’s discuss in this forum the amendment that will trim the powers of the federal government without weakening its leverage and influence in the world. 

Even a cheerleader for the Georgia State Legislature has to produce facts and evidence when making accusations of treason and tyranny. So far, you have not. Please show us.

Thank you, TB. Looking forward to seeing more details.

2. wilderness profile image96

You do know that "marching on Washington" does not accomplish any amendments being voted in by the people?

Just grandstanding, like I said.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

Wouldn't this massive effort accomplish your goals if it were directed at voter education and consolidation of the power of the votes of like minded people? Quill mentioned your link talked about 10 million like-minded souls - that is one hellava voting block.

We already have the most powerful tool needed for the task you want to achieve - the vote!

Isn't any other method of change just another group saying "we know better than you?"

Why wouldn't you choose the power of facts and circumstances to accomplish what you want if what you want is what the rest of us would want if only we were more aware - as you are?

GA

1. profile image53

We are a grass roots team and have begun a journey to restore the nation.
            We are executing many procedures and positive practices to achieve this objective.
            While others simply continue to rant about the problems, we take action to fix them.
            We are not just another group saying "we know better than you?"
            We are patriots that correctly support the Constitution that provides for your freedoms.
            The USA was not built to defend a tyrant but to provide life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the citizen.
            God Bless the USA.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72

Good evening, TB. I hope you are doing well at the moment.

I am a loving patriot as well but I presume to caution you to check your facts and to examine the history of this topic.

Georgia is not the first to recognize this path for proposing amendments to the Constitution. In fact, Georgia has petitioned for a Constitutional Convention under Article V nine times in the past. Furthermore, 48 other states have also filed at least one resolution with Congress calling for a constitutional convention. {1} Congress has received about 400 such petition since the Constitution was adopted in 1787.  Not one has ever succeeded.

The Georgia measure attempts to restrict the convention to topics limiting the power of the federal government and establishing term limits for federal officials.

It is important to note that an Article V Convention has never been necessary to amend our Constitution in the past. Nor does the constitution contain rules or guidelines to prevent a “runaway” convention.   

I trust you will be intimately familiar with the inherent risks before you go knocking on the doors of your state legislators. You could begin with “Wisconsin Moving to Advance ALEC Constitutional Convention Scheme.” {2}.

Meanwhile, I wish you good luck with your lobbying in the state capital.
      {1} http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 … 51027.html
      {2} http://www.prwatch.org/news/2014/02/123 … -recession

1. profile image53

Thanks for history lesson.  However, I am not working on history, but on current events.  Adults will accurately proceed with the Constitutional Convention when rallying the patriots.  Before any formal action is finalized, specific wording for the amendments and articles must be in place.  This will ensure that we do not create further chaos in the aftermath.  Limiting the power of the federal government and setting term limits represent a foundational position from Georgia. This is a great start and will provide a catalyst for others that can be mitigated through delegates from all participating states.  When operating in a civil fashion, the Citizens Congress will be very much in tune with the nation's needs.  We should all start now in a positive fashion so that we can eliminate the negatives that you have identified.  Positive action will be our goal, restoration of the nation will be our objective.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A link showing what you say it true would be a good start.

4. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There have been many such movements. Unfortunately the forming of a Third Continental Congress to redress many issues is a horrible nightmare for the governing scumbags in Washington and one to be avoided at all costs for them. They are in charge my man and they wish to keep us distracted with the "moral" and culturally sensitive issues that have always divided this country so they can stay in charge. "We" don't get it and therefore it remains the same.

This is a work in process by Dessie Andrews, who is a legal researcher.

DECLARATION OF THE THE THIRD CONTINENTAL CONGRESS, December 1, 2003

The unanimous Declaration of Independence of the fifty united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one nation of Sovereigns to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men and women are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.  That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness, Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.  Such has been the patient sufferance of Government.  The history of the present regime and all those regimes leading up to this time, from the very foundation and grant of the limited delegation of authority in the contract known as the United States Constitution is a history of repeated injuries and usurpation, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States and their People.  To prove this, let Facts be submitted to an august body of advisors to Congress.

A government functions as a corporation.  Inasmuch as every government is an artificial person, an abstraction, and a creature of the mind only, a government can interface only with other artificial persons.  The imaginary—having neither actuality nor substance – is foreclosed from creating and attaining parity with the tangible.  The legal manifestation of this is that no government, as well as any law, agency, aspect, court, etc., can concern itself with anything other than corporate artificial persons and the contracts between them.

A corporation, to remain in business, must abide by its corporate charter and can assume no more power than those granted it by its creators.   The present corporation, the “government” of the United States, or United States of America, has long ago burst its corporate bonds and assumed control of its Grantors.  This can no longer be tolerated and  must end.  The trustees of this sacred trust have run amok.

They have laid war and emergency powers over this land in order to create chaos and subject the People to military rule.

They have divested the People of their freeholds in order to steal their electoral rights in exchange for voting franchises.  The Reconstruction Acts.

They have systematically and with great patience stolen the birthright of every American and state Citizen and replaced it with a yoke of duties and obligations to the created creature.

They have codified the Law and overlaid it with codes and statutes.  The Revised Statutes of  the United States in 1878.

They have not enacted law, as Constitutionally mandated, since 1879, but rather, have initiated “public policy”.

They have created a “government” outside the Charter and pretend to fill the offices which have remained vacant since 1871.  In so doing, they ended the separation of powers guaranteed to the People, ending any responsibilities assumed under the mantle of the office of officer and became one body of employees.   The Civil Service Act of 1883.

They have legislated away the Peoples’ Circuit courts.  The Judiciary Act of 1911.

They have created a central bank in defiance of the Framer’s express wishes and orders.  Federal Reserve Act of 1913

They have abolished the several States and State Citizens with the passage of the 17th Amendment in 1913.

They have given the substance of every state Citizen to a private corporation, the Federal Reserve,  with the Glass-Steagal Act of 1933.

They have stolen the assets, energy, property and futures of every state Citizen and pledged them to foreign corporations.

They have openly declared the People to be enemies of the State.

They have initiated policies in violation of the takings clause in their Corporate charter, in order to fund social programs and redistribute wealth.

They have undermined the educational process in the several States and created a slave force with the uneducated.

They have snatched the children from their natural parents through the use of  the doctrine of parens patriae.

They, by their charter, being confined to the ten mile square area known as Washington DC,  have created agencies to justify their intrusion upon and into the several States

They have eliminated the People’s courts and a duly elected Congress and left the People with no redress of grievances.

They have instituted Roman civil law on the land under the guise of Corporate courts.

They have implemented a Bar Association to still the voice of the People in their Corporate courts.

They have tricked the People into invisible contracts with guile and deceit and without full disclosure, into exchanging their Sovereign standing for that of a Corporate employee status.

They hold the People in slavery with their presumptions, their courts and their police powers.

They have waged war and committed unspeakable atrocities in my name on innocent peoples and nations, without declaring war.

They have obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing to Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers, instead they sit in administrative, corporate courts.

They have made Judges dependent on their will alone, for the tenure of their offices and the amount and payment of their salaries.

The have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of employees, masquerading as Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

They have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the consent of the legislatures, by declaring constant and chronic emergencies.

They have affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil powers.
      They have combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving their Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation.

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us.

For protecting them, by a mock Trial or investigation, from punishment for any Murders or other atrocities they should commit on the Inhabitants of the several States.

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent..

For depriving us of the benefits of Trial by Jury.

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments.

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

They have abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of their Protection and waging War against us.

They have brought the law of the seas onto the land, bringing with it its system of taxes, fines and penalties, thus destroying the lives of our people.

They are, at this time, transporting large Armies to complete the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty and perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy of the leaders of a civilized nation.

They have bankrupted the United States corporation too many times to count, have initiated Reorganization after Reorganization, each time being more onerous to the People and each time divesting them of more rights and replacing them with government issued privileges and benefits.

They have created worthless military scrip, removed all backing of substance of any currency and forced the People to trade with worthless scrip and credit, thereby stealing the substance of the People and eroding their worth with inflation.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms.  Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.  A Government Pretender whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the holder of the sacred trust of a free people.

The actors conspiring under color of law to undermine the integrity and substance of the People, have accomplished these acts by counterfeiting the Seals of States and Offices, to deceive the People.

For these reasons and more, I, one of the descendants of the declarers of the Declaration of Independence of 1776 do solemnly Publish and Declare, That the People of the several States are, and of Right ought to be, FREE AND INDEPENDENT PEOPLE OF THE SEVERAL STATES; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the corporate United States of America, that they no longer have a republican, representative form of government.  That the employees of the United States of America long ago exceeded their trust which was granted to them by the People with limited delegation of powers.  That, as Creators of the Corporation known as the United States of America, we hereby disband and dissolve the corporate charter which was granted in trust.

That I, the undersigned, was endowed with unalienable rights from my Creator.  That I rely on the Protection of divine Providence, and with this compact, pledge to my fellow men and women my Life, my Fortune and my sacred Honor.

1. psycheskinner profile image84

They might consider rewriting that so a broader group of people could sign up to it.  e.g.

"Nature’s God ... endowed with unalienable rights from my Creator. "

Atheists are also Americans

"A government functions as a corporation."

Disagree strongly in every equating government directly with industry. The different is ethics. The difference is I trust the leaders of commerce far far far less than even politicians. Making government into a business would make it worse--I mean, who had to bail who out of the recession?

"They have openly declared the People to be enemies of the State."

Um, what? Where? This is bonkers.

"They have snatched the children from their natural parents through the use of  the doctrine of parens patriae."

WTF. You think someone physically or sexually a busing a child should get to keep that child.  I disagree very strongly with such a hideous notion. Parens patriae may be sometimes misused but is a vital and ethical concept that saves lives. I support it vehemently.

"They have eliminated the People’s courts and a duly elected Congress and left the People with no redress of grievances."

The courts still exist

"They have made Judges dependent on their will alone, for the tenure of their offices and the amount and payment of their salaries."

As opposed to making it an unpaid position or funded by private interests?

"The have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of employees, masquerading as Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance."

LOL. Doing frivolous things like inspect meat for adulteration or investigating aircraft accidents?

"They have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the consent of the legislatures, by declaring constant and chronic emergencies."

As opposed to not having an army and just assuming nothing bad will ever happen.

"They have affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil powers."

Of course the military is separate from civil powers.  Any person who wishes it otherwise is profoundly ignorant of what a real police state is.

"For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us."

As opposed to putting them on orbiting space stations?  These troops are our own people, not the enemy.

FFS.

1. rhamson profile image71

You speak directly to the hazards of letting our rights be reviewed by those that may not have the best of intentions or unknown results. Cool heads would have to prevail in such a scenario but who is to decide who the individuals should be with current legislators in office? Such a congress would need delegates unaffiliated to avoid wrangling over rhetoric and special interest. Quite a sticky situation.

1. psycheskinner profile image84

I believe in reforming the system we have.  Better electoral boundaries, better control of campaign financing, maybe even a partially proportional system as determined by referendum.

Not wild plans to give politicians direct control of the army to avoid a police state (which is a baffling plan if you ask me).

I don't even think the system is in question because theoretically the system has a means to correct itself as laid out in the Constitution. We have the means to directly replace those we feel are either incompetent, corrupt, lazy or just in it for themselves. "WE!" have failed the system. We have become complacent and lazy in effecting our duty as caretakers of the country. We have lost our perspective in wanting for ourselves what others provide. The "ME!" generations have taken over and are greedily scooping up everything they think is due them for whatever reasons. I am not talking about the welfare and poor but the taxpayers that cheat or the corporations that sell out or the people who decide to game the system whatever way they can. Also in the mix are the rest of us who want our agenda and only our agenda served without any compromise.

I am reminded of a close friend who got a dog and loved the dog dearly but when the dog became hard to handle as it got older with many bad habits created by the owner, he sent the dog to obedience school. The trainers required the owners to go to the same class to learn how to train the dog and maintain his training. The owner said he did not have the time and wanted to leave it up to the professionals. The dog came back well behaved but soon returned to its' old habits. The owner blamed it on the trainers. Remind you of something similar?

1. GA Anderson profile image89

Although I refuse to give up my position as Curmudgeon, I might be willing to share. I agree that it is WE that have failed - not the system. The dog owner analogy is a good one.

GA

May I add that the biggest problem isn't tax cheating consumers, but the man in the street demanding someone else pay for his wants and needs, the man in the street that then hires the politician to accomplish that.  THAT's the biggest problem of all; we have become a nation of entitlements, always wanting someone else to cover the cost of our desires.

"For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.”  Robert Heinlein

We have discovered that we can vote ourselves "bread and circuses" and will do so until the system collapses.

So if 10% of the federal budget was eliminated (which is what welfare consists of) we would be on our way to changing the way we help ourselves and those individuals would straighten up and become useful contributing members of society? Let me clue you in on a few things. Many of those that are in prison and serving life sentences are products of our welfare system. If the poor were cut off what percentage of those do you think would go to prison?

Here are some statistics you should mull over and fill in some of the blanks as to who really lives on the taxpayers teat.   http://statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Nearly half a trillion goes to the defense department. Do you think there might be a little waste there? If you would cut the defense budget by 10% you could more than pay for the poor.

Food Stamps roughly cost this. http://www.statisticbrain.com/food-stamp-statistics/  Is it too much to feed those that need it without the little we could gain back from the overspending?

Less than half of those unemployed are collecting Unemployment Insurance. What do you think those who can't find a job are doing? http://www.statisticbrain.com/?s=unemployment

By the way the IRS estimates that about three trillion has been lost to tax evasion since 2001. Maybe if there were a few more "honest taxpayers" there might be a little more input from the "right" side of the tracks. http://www.cheatingculture.com/tax-evasion/

This post has gone way off track and maybe we could discuss a few things about how we can better represent those of us who do care about getting it back on track and not demonizing those less fortunate.

I liked this one the best:
          "They have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the consent of the [state} legislatures, by declaring constant and chronic emergencies."

And every time a new base is opened or an old one closed the political infighting on who gets to have a military base in their state nearly brings down the country.  Yet they are all "without consent". big_smile

2. GA Anderson profile image89

And what has happened with this since 2003?

Although it has the appearance of an impressive piece of writing, as Psycheskinner pointed out, there are quite a few pieces of very strident rhetoric that seem to diminish the sensible parts.

Has Ms.(?) Andrews followed up on on this declaration?

GA

My reason for posting this was to show what could happen if a Continental Congress was convened in the current greedy and non compromising state as is expressed by our Congress. Are all of her ideas good? Maybe not but are we (Congress) capable in this current political atmosphere of slander, dirty tricks and lies able to bring about something that is devoid of selfish intent and purely for the good of the country? Just look at the diversity of opinion driven by true passion on these very Hub Pages. Could we as a writers blog come up with something that would contribute to change with the purity it demands? I don't know if it is possible in this current day. 

As to what has happened to this proposal I don't know but there have been many like it and all have never gotten off the floor as too many minds differ on their content and expressed intent. Just Google Third Continental Congress and many pages come up for you to look at.

5. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
      wba108@yahoo.composted 10 years agoin reply to this

I looked into invoking article 5 convention and it has a mixed reaction. It seems there are respected experts of both sides of this issue.

Some believe that it won't even get the full support of the political right and Tea Party because of the fear that the liberals may take control of the convention to undo our remaining Constitutional liberties.

Other respected legal experts feel that a one time convention may be doable  and that the agenda can be limited. They also feel that a convention may be necessary to take our country back from an out of control political class who soon corrupts anyone who enters it.

I'm leaning toward the 2nd option if its the right time to try it.

1. profile image53

The initiation for the convention must include the specific reason to engage it.   While this is the easy part, the difficult part starts when the states begin to assemble the rules of order for the convention.  For example, specific periods should be identified for discussion, submission of proposed changes, popular voting, and final presentation.  During the first Convention held by the founding fathers, disagreement required them to disburse and reconvene after meeting with their state citizens.  For us, this would seem a long drawn out effort due to our current technology support.  However, the process of discussion and modification would still be achieved so that a proper amendment would be addressed during final voting and enactment.  For the citizen, this would provide the best republic action since the Constitution was written, approved, and signed.  In fact, one suggestion previously made, was to actually record the names of all the approving citizens so that the signatures carried a stamp of approval at the grass-roots level.  Compromise will be required to achieve such action.  But it can be accomplished if the citizens operate at an adult level.

2. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

If we can't change the government, states HAVE to secede from its tentacles. People will regain control on a smaller scale.
    If our country favors the partition/dismantlement of other countries why not ours? Russia's states seceded from their federal governments and gained independence, why not us?

Who says we can't change the government? Is it too hard or are our priorities on other things that we don't have the time or inclination? Maybe it is not important enough for most of the electorate to care. Either way we are a union and we already consecrated that over a hundred and fifty years ago. Rather than give up would it not make more sense to actually get involved in a representative government? You see people here being argumentative but given a good choice would it not reason that they would make a responsible decision? I don't think a separated country would have much of a chance as the economies are so interwoven and dependent on each other.

1. maxoxam41 profile image63
        maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is the only solution, why not? What does the people need to protest? More shrinking of their rights, of their freedom, when enough is enough? When will it be too late? When we will be like Ukraine? Are you sure that it's not too late yet? So far, our experience is more insidious. The government is already infringing everything my ancestors fought for. At least, in Ukraine, it happened from an exterior and foreign force that is to say us.
        John Perkins, Naomi Klein, Michael Ruppert, Snowden... said enough about the people that govern us. When I refer to government it doesn't mean Obama, it only refers to the lobbies, the money behind it. That same money that doesn't discriminate a child or a Syrian soldier (fighting for his land) to be killed, that same money that erects dictatorship like the Muslim Brotherhood or the THUGS at the head of current Ukraine, is it what they plan for my future? Because if it is, I cannot accept it. I have nieces and nephews.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

tbHistorian wrote:
    1."The USA was not built to defend a tyrant but to provide life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the citizen.
    God Bless the USA."
    2."Limiting the power of the federal government and setting term limits represent a foundational position from Georgia. This is a great start and will provide a catalyst for others that can be mitigated through delegates from all participating states.  When operating in a civil fashion, the Citizens Congress will be very much in tune with the nation's needs.  We should all start now in a positive fashion so that we can eliminate the negatives that you have identified.  Positive action will be our goal, restoration of the nation will be our objective."
    Thanks, tbHistorian.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)