Why should it matter if you're gay or straight?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. aprilplenzick profile image60
    aprilplenzickposted 9 years ago

Lately, people have been getting more hate for being gay/lesbian than usual. In my opinion everyone is equal on the inside. You can't really help who you like. When you fall in love, you can't really just tell yourself to stop. Why is it so crazy if you like the same sex? I myself, female, like men, but I have plenty friends who are homosexuals. It makes no difference to me. They're still human and they're just like you inside, except their attracted to their own sex. I just want to know why it's such a big deal, especially now. I just think we have other things in life to worry about than who is dating the same/opposite sex.

1. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, according to polls, more Americans are becoming accepting of Gays, which is a good thing. But to answer your question, the reason some hate talk still occurs is because people fear what they don't know. Also, such people have been wrongly indoctrinated. The fact is, scientists have already figured out that the brains of Gays are "wired" differently. This difference occurs in the womb when the brain is being formed. This phenonemon cannot be changed, nor should it. Everyone deserves to love whomever they love, as long as they are being monogamous. No single percentage of the human population should be told they are not allowed to love or build a life with someone just because they are of the same sex. That is just plain wrong and selfish.
      As a Christian, I don't have a problem telling my fellow Christians that they need to get their facts straight. That being said, the prejudice extends to others people as well. Look at Putin, for example. No one would mistake him for a Christian, yet he has enacted laws against gays. I digress, but you get my drift. Haters come in all shapes, sizes, religions and non-religions.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

aprilplenzick, I have to disagree with your statement: "Lately, people have been getting more hate for being gay/lesbian than usual." The reality is the country is becoming more and more accepting of gays and lesbians. It's also not uncommon to see gay and lesbian couples adopt children.

The "marriage equality" laws are gaining steam across the nation. Pro athletes are coming out, Ellen DeGeneres, Elton John, Robin Roberts from Good Morning America and countless others have made it known they are gay. In fact in today's climate it is more likely that if someone speaks out against the gay and lesbian community they're likely to be attacked for their views.

No matter what era we live in there will always be forms of discrimination but 2014 is a far cry from the beliefs people had in 1914, the 40s, 50s, 60s-90s. Even the president of U.S. is in favor of the "Marriage Equality Act". I can't imagine any other time in history where the leader of the free world has openly expressed his support for equality for the gay community.

1. aprilplenzick profile image60
        aprilplenzickposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe I worded that wrong. I'm a high school student, so to me, it is being hated on more because it's more drama. I just think everyone is equal and I just want to know why people really are against it.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
          dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's been said: "Perception is reality"
          In other words it's human nature for us to look at what is going on in (our own circle) and proclaim that's the way things are worldwide!

A lot of things that take place in high school have a lot to do with immaturity. When I was in school there were (two distinct worlds). One was the "teen world" and the other was the "adult world". Most of the time teens did not share what was going on in their world with their parents. We acted as if two teens dating was the equivalent of marriage. We really did consider ourselves to be "grown". However the reality is once you are truly an adult and start to view things beyond your limited circle and personal day to day interactions you'll be able to have much better perspective.

Having said that there are some adults who never mature enough to take a world view on anything. If their boyfriend/girlfriend cheats on them then all men or women are no good! That's another sign of immaturity when a person wants to take "gender shortcuts" or put a group in a "box" based upon limited exposure and personal history. Maturity and wisdom leads us to get to know people on an "individual" basis as well as learning to see the forest despite the trees in front of us.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
            gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It really does not and/or SHOULD NOT matter as to whether a person is straight, gay, or bisexual.  Each human is made and oriented differently.  Evolved people realize  and act upon this.  ALL are ONE under the UNIVERSAL GOD.  No one should be discriminated against because of sexual orientation.

2. aprilplenzick profile image60
    aprilplenzickposted 9 years ago

They're **

3. retrojoe profile image68
    retrojoeposted 9 years ago

Dear aprilplenzick,

I'm a 59 year old gay man who has lived long enough to be able to say that I never thought I would be around to see marriage equality a reality or men and women serving openly as gays or lesbians in the military (I was secretly a gay member of the US Army for three years in the mid '70s).  When I wrote to my father 30 years ago that I had joined the local gay band in San Francisco, which was actually the first one in this country at the time, I learned from my mother (who had found the letter) that my father had suffered greatly from the knowledge and was at least temporarily disabled from it and that she hoped that my "..lifestyle changes soon."  I didn't mean to hurt them but, since they were from a small town and that they believed nothing could be more disgraceful, what I shared with them tore at their very being.

Understandably, my father is conservative and more religious than the average man.  Although a brother and I became alter boys, I chose to abandon the church before leaving home to serve my country (thinking that the experience might somehow change me).  After having several gay experiences with fellow soldiers, I soon realized that that was not likely and decided not to make the service my career.  After leaving the Army, I fled home again for San Francisco, where I lived for more than three decades.

It took many years, but I eventually outgrew most of my paranoia (an effect of my military experience) in relation to being gay.  I am also very happy to see how much of the world has changed since then.  I even have a gay nephew in Boston who married his male companion.  Unfortunately, many people long to turn back the clock and live in simpler, or less accepting times, to be blind to the truth that you (like most young people today), not having been directly affected by the crippling past, understand as just fair or good common sense.

Some people can never become enlightened and accepting of the differences in their fellow human beings because they choose to refuse to do so and remain in their narrow belief structure.  Most such types will actually feel that they are the enlightened ones and that gays and lesbians, rather than human beings, are disciples of the devil who wish to destroy the family and this country.  Unknowingly, many of these so called good Christians who usually also wrap themselves in the flag, are being supported and guided by preachers who are really wolves in sheep's clothing and politicians who are more like snake oil salesmen than servants of this country's citizens.

What these simpler types see as learned judgement relates to the precept that similar is good and to be embraced and different is bad and to be shunned, run out of town, or ruin their lives.  Although in the New Testament it is advised that one love thy neighbor, even if they be your enemy, most people influenced by religious views prefer to turn to the good old days of the old testament where it is best to hate or destroy your enemies.

And, like the Nazi's in Germany in the '30s when economic times were very tough, evil doers will use such hard times to scapegoat people who are different and blame them for their woes.    It is time for people to wake up and not be lead down a path of hatred, ignorance, and alienation.  During tough times we should all be trying to just get along and find and appreciate what unites us instead of focusing on the differences as something meant to divide us.  "United we stand, divided we fall" should be everyone's motto, rather than feeling that "only people like me should be free".

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

It's such a big deal because people like to have a group of people to complain about. People like to judge what is different from themselves. When talking bad about people it makes them feel good about themselves. It's sad that such a large group of people are being impacted but the reality is we ALL judge someone.

5. profile image56
    xclusiveayposted 9 years ago

Guys, i think being a gay doesn't really make sense, am sorry but come to think of it, why God created a man and a woman?

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go pray about it to your imaginary sky daddy. Homosexuality exists in over 400 animal species.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

love makes good sense, if the bible dose not like, lump it.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that people cherry pick the Bible for verses that suit them. If they actually read it from cover to cover, they're outlook would be different. Chances are they'd become atheist or at least agnostic.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75

I feel sorry for atheist that spend that much more time reading that stuff than the religiously impaired do.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
          gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Wingert, you are correct in your premise.  Most people accept what they feel THE MOST COMFORTABLE WITH and THE LEAST THREATENED as far as religion and the bible goes. People become quite nonplussed when their sacred cows are unearthed for what they REALLY are.

6. Bobby Holland profile image61
    Bobby Hollandposted 9 years ago

Honestly, I think the problem isn't so much with what is considered right or wrong, just what people want to complain and hate about. Its like racism, and sexism. people kept on with both until something new came along to replace it. give it time and people will hate on something else. The gay community is exactly what it says it is, a community. they have as much right as anyone to live and I for one will just sit back and watch all of the people eat their words when they find something else to hate. if we really want to hate on something lets all just hate on our corrupt government and politicians. what they do actually does affect us.

Smart kid,
      Instead hating them, lets love them to death

Hate only works for them, in the long run.

1. Bobby Holland profile image61
        Bobby Hollandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

just let them live their lives, they have just as much reason to live and be happy as any of us. they don't bleed any differently, nor do they feel less pain. if we don't agree with what they do, its only our opinion. there's no reason for anyone to suffer due to our opinion unless it directly affects us.

We have two Super Powers
          1. USA Military, Prison, Religion and Police complex
          2. Global Public Opinion.
          The way to change the game is when 80% of the consciousness of the people agree to change it. Government and Corporation don;t change it for the better.

The People have always been the true leaders throughout worldwide human history. We are already being of service communicating on the internet.

7. Teri Jourdan profile image75
    Teri Jourdanposted 9 years ago

It matters because those who identify as anything other than heterosexual or binary are not afforded the same rights.

Sexual orientation defines a part of who we are. In the lesbian community, there's a persona attached to sexual orientation - we call it the butch/femme continuum.

So while sexual orientation may not be the same as gender identity, there are parallels to be drawn...

And it's not just solely about equality. No one has to 'come out' to their parents if they're heterosexual. No one has to deal with a societal stigma that is heterosexuality. This doesn't mean that homosexuality is an atrocity or unnatural, just that it has this stigma, much like the idea that any mental illness automatically means you're crazy and unable to properly function in society.

You got my vote that gays are as normal as heteros.
      Now it will take 80% of the consciousness of the people around the world, to turn 80 countries into making Gay sex or love legal.

1. Teri Jourdan profile image75
        Teri Jourdanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not out to change the entire world. I'd much rather handle it in 'chunks', starting with my own community.

Though I've often wondered what good is it if I can marry my significant other, but still be fired from a job or denied housing for being a lesbian...

Perhaps our focus is too deeply rooted in marriage equality. Perhaps our fight should shift to the other fundamental aspects of life, something that others may be able to be more accepting of.

In the states that have passed same-sex marriage, they already had laws in place regarding discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Just a thought...

Think globally, act locally is a good start. After this civil right is conquer, pot will be the next gay marriage. Then we can convert prison cells into college dorms.

Each step at a time, look how long it took us to get over raciest , slavery and mix race marriage.
          It's ReefFer MaDnesSSs!!!!, I tell you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)