Make $50 per month from Hubpages Adprogram

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. madscientist12 profile image92
    madscientist12posted 10 years ago

Does anyone have a good idea of how many hubs I would need in order to make at least $50 a month through the Hubpages Ad program? 100? 200? Anyone achieved this monetary amount per month yet?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, many of us have reached that payout, and higher.  It does not hinge on the number of hubs (although that is very helpful), it is based on the number of views per month.  Also, the type of content you write can make a difference. If you figure at least $3-$4 per 1,000 views (some make more than that; some less), then it would take 15,500 or more views per month (hard to be exact, since at that point, it gets down to decimals).  Good luck!!   And yes, keep writing good content!

madscientist12posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, this helps to put things into perspective!

2. Susana S profile image95
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As Marcy says, income through HP ads is totally traffic related. You could have one hub that earns that much in a month or you could have 100 hubs that bring you nowhere near it.

Many people here go for volume of pages and hope they get lucky with one or two, but I've seen that strategy fail far more often than succeed. They could be the best written hubs in the world and still earn close to nothing if they get little or no traffic (which is why I say that writing ability is only 10% of the mix when it comes to earning online through content).

Another thing that many people fail to do is check out their competition (the other pages on the 1st page of the search results for their hubs target phrase) and it's so important if you don't want to waste your time writing stuff hardly anyone's ever going to see. If you do a quick search for "biography stephen hawking" you should be able to see that the pages already listed are all very thorough and are also on very high authority websites in that niche. So the chances of your hub on that topic getting on the 1st page of the search results are extremely remote (if not impossible), so search engine traffic is going to be minimal at best and at worst, non-existent. This particular topic doesn't really fit with a social media kind of audience either, so I don't think that you'll get much in the way of that kind of traffic. So basically no traffic = no earnings.

That may sound harsh (I don't mean it to) but that's the way of the internet.

To earn money with your content on this kind of website you need to find topics, niches or keyphrases that have good search volume (or rising interest) but weak competition.

What is a good number of views for a hub? For example, if my hub gets 50 views a day is that good? bad? average?

1. Susana S profile image95

50 views per day for one hub is not bad at all. That should earn you $3 - $4 per month through HP ads taking into account the 60/40 impression split with HP. Now if you could write 100 hubs that all got 50 views a day that would be wonderful wouldn't it? smile

It's a shame it doesn't ever work out that way!

It's also worth being aware of how different types of hubs can earn vastly different sums of money. If our example hub was a hub with a product focus rather than an info focus, 50 views per day could easily earn well over $50 per month through Amazon if the page converted well.

2. yougotme profile image91
            yougotmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I made a hub regarding an Earnings Analysis Tool I developed to estimate how much hubs you need to write in order to hit the monthly earnings target based on your current standing. Hopefully, that will give you a clearer picture of how many views you need to attain to earn your targeted monthly earnings. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can tell you it won't.   Whatever assumptions you've made, they're flawed.  There's too much variation.

I know someone who used to make $1,000 a month with less than 15 Hubs.  I also know someone with over 400 Hubs who makes barely $100 a month. 

Income varies according to popularity of the topic, use of keywords, time of year, amount of promotion done, backlinks, age etc etc.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

I have hubs that get 2 views a week and thousands of views a week. They certainly don't earn the same. 

In fact I have another account with about the same number of hubs... It makes about 1% of what this one does.

3. prospectboy profile image88
        prospectboyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm no expert of anything, but I think quality of hubs is more important than the quantity. I have 111 published hubs, and I only earn around 55 cents per day on here. I have several hubs that do well with little promotion, but the majority I have to promote if I plan on increasing my views and earnings.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If they were all like my top earner, about 10.  If they were all like my bottom earners.... around 5000.

1. lady rain profile image93
          lady rainposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Mine, too big_smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quality not quantity.   Fifty top quality Hubs should be enough.   The "Flagship Hub" model is a good one - the program closed a long time ago, but the format definitely works.  This Hub by Lissie suggests a process to create one and more importantly, includes links to examples of how they should look:

http://lissie.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-W … agship-Hub

Once you've written your fifty Hubs and got them Featured, stop writing.  Go away and learn how to promote them effectively.   Spend at least as much time promoting them as you did writing them.

We used to have a Sixty Day Challenge here and it worked much better than the current 30 Day Challenge - though it was more tedious to complete.  The format was:  write 30 Hubs in 30 days, then spend 30 days creating backlinks and promoting those Hubs.

The other ingredient is time.   It takes time to persuade Google to rank your Hubs well enough to attract visitors. You won't make any money while your audience is other members of HubPages.  It can take several months to build up to a point where your Hubs are earning, and they can take up to three years to reach their full potential.

2. profile image0
      delleaposted 10 years ago

My best guess would be about 250 hubs, considering my own current earnings.

3. Michael Tully profile image61
      Michael Tullyposted 10 years ago

Hi Danielle -- all I can relate is my own experience, for what it's worth. At the moment I have 67 hubs published, and will probably close out the month of May with $5 in ad program earnings. So if you extrapolate that, I'd need close to 700 hubs to make $50 per month. But, as they say, "your mileage may vary."

I'm currently at 48 hubs and have about $6 for this month, but I also just got approved for adsense the middle of last month so I'm hoping that the numbers continue to go up!

4. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 10 years ago

Hi, Danielle. There are a lot of people who have reached $200 or more each month. As for how many it takes, there is no set number. Some people make it in more and some in less. It really depends upon how much work you put in to this, your niche, how you network and promote your work.

You have 46 hubs written in two months. That is pretty good. I would go back and tweak them. Find out what the successful hubbers are doing and test different things out. While you are tweaking, keep publishing more hub. Google likes consistency.

After you do some tweaking, promote the hubs you have. Get yourself some not Google traffic and you will see things improve across the board. If I might ask, (in Google Analytics) are you getting a lot of mobile visitors?

I'm not sure, to be honest I haven't checked analytics since I signed up for it (I know, such a slacker, lol). But I'll check that out.

5. NMLady profile image75
      NMLadyposted 10 years ago

If I did this for money, I would STARVE.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

As Marcy stated above, it doesn't matter how many hubs you have... what matters is the traffic you obtain to those hubs.  Concentrate your efforts on generating traffic... easier said than done... because this is not a blog where you build a readership.  Your topics need to be highly searched with relatively low competition.  Use Google's Keyword tool to find search terms for the topics you want to write about then search those exact terms on Google to see how many competing pages there are.

Once you find and write on a specific topic then you need to get social.  Get active on Tumblr, Google +, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook Groups and Fan Pages (not your personal FB page).  Comment on at least 10 hubs per day and be genuine.  Also find at least 10 blogs related to the topics you write on and comment there as well. Don't drop links in those comments or ask for anyone to come read your take on an issue.  On most blogs there will be a space to leave your contact information.  In the name you can use your name or keyword, website which is usually optional, place the url to your hub, and of course your email address.  But don't forget to leave a genuine comment and if possible use the bloggers name in the comment.

Be consistent.  Give it a try for 90 days, 5 days a week, and then determine how to adjust.  Keep writing hubs but not to just turn out content.  Make them stellar hubs on topics that people will be searching for years.

1. Susana S profile image95

Think our posts must have crossed Richard as both contain much of the same advice!

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL yes, I noticed that too just after I submitted it...

2. madscientist12 profile image92

great advice, thanks!

7. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 10 years ago

I've had varied success.... in November 2011 I made about US$360 in one month .... but traffic's died down since then.  It's annoying as you'd like to think you can "build on" what you've got - so writing more hubs should result in more income, but it doesn't work like that.

The main issue is that you are not in control of the machine that's making the money .......

If I'd been able to take the success of Nov 2011 and build on it I'd have been comfortably smug by now.... but it all crashed and burned smile

8. paiva25 profile image80
      paiva25posted 10 years ago

It doesn't matter on the number of hubs. I got about 22 hubs, though only 3-4 gets stable daily views.
      Got my adsense account last week and I've already crossed 8$.
      In short, you need to write on what your well versed at and give the people what they want.

9. AmbitiousMarketer profile image59
      AmbitiousMarketerposted 10 years ago

I thought it would be a good idea if you had other goals in mind as well as earning the money. So for me its improving website traffic and page rank as well as seeing what works and what doesn't in creating a useful and interesting article.

If lets say I saw 10 click throughs from one of my hubs and 2 of those visitors engaged with my site then that would give me a better idea on why that hub was more interesting and relevant than its similar hub. This would motivate me as I'd learn something from experience and experience is my ultimate goal.

10. lady rain profile image93
      lady rainposted 10 years ago

I get regular payout with less than 100 hubs. If I earn at least $1.66 a day, I know I'll get a payout for that month. I pay more attention to writing quality hubs because they get good traffic from search engines. About 90% of my traffic views are from outside Hubpages. Most Hubpages followers (including myself) read the hubs only once, so I usually don't get traffic from Hubpages a day or two after publishing.

11. indian cooking profile image63
      indian cookingposted 10 years ago

My daily earnings average between $1 and $2 and I have less than 100 hubs. I was making a payout regularly for the past more than 6 months. But this month, my traffic has gone down to 70% of my normal traffic and I am short of $12 to make a payout this month.

12. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

Whether you make a payout or not depends more on the popularity (in terms of viewers, engagement, social media sharing and search engine traffic to be precise) of your Hubs. Quality or Numbers have nothing much to do with it.

13. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Well if quality means "good earning material designed to be Google-friendly web content" and more means "multiple of those" I would say that has everything to to do with it.  This is a money-paying web content site after all.

14. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I have less than 80 hubs and make quite a bit more than that per month. However some of my hubs get between 500-1500 visits a day - so it really is about traffic.

You can have 1000 hubs which make you cents, or one hub which makes you hundreds.

15. LensMan999 profile image58
      LensMan999posted 10 years ago

I have 200 hubs and 400 hits /traffic per day but my earnings are very less . Can any one tell  me about average number of hubs and avg monthly traffic need to reach the my target, 50$ per month .Is our hubber score is related to our daily earnings?

1. paiva25 profile image80
        paiva25posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's no avg number of Hubs as even with two Hubs you can reach the 50$ threshold, what you need is an approximate 600-800 daily views I guess.
        Your hubber score only helps in making your links do-follow which helps in page ranking and that makes quite a difference. It also helps your hubs to stay published longer by giving them a longer grace period.

16. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years ago

I figured out a way to make $50 an hour with my hubpages account. I simply follow these easy steps. It is fool proof and works just about every time.

1) I choose a subject that a wide range of people would find interesting.
      2) I write the most profound and thought provoking article I can manage (based on my limited education and vocabulary, making sure mathematics is not in any way involved).
      3) I edit and reedit until the piece is nearly perfect and pleasing to every readers palette.
      4) I put on a tube top and high heels and stand on the corner down town and offer to read it to anyone who will pay me $50.

Without fail the literary folk come out of the woodwork, I would say, almost anxious to jump on this offer. Most of these encounters have even turned romantic so I would say it's really a win/win.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do something similar...

Except people pay me 50 take off the tube top, put on a sweatshirt and go home.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

pfft. lol

17. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

i am way down from you guys, with 110 hubs for  3 years, only a handful of hubs are doing well. Mostly with 0 views. I get around 135 views per day for all the hubs. pretty sad case, isn't it? Earning around $12-15 per month. Guess i need to revamp my old hubs

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that sounds amazing. You're a paid writer. I think that's something to be proud of.

18. CatherineGiordano profile image78
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have a better understanding now.  I'm probably choosing the wrong topics, but more likely, there is just too much competition on my topics. For now, I'm just writing on topics that interest me.  When those are exhausted,  I'll do the research to find niche topics.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I keep hearing that people are making money via adsense, but after 2 1/2 years I have yet to make payout there.  It always dribbles in a cent or a few cents per day.

However, since I started using Amazon, I've been able to make payout and more for the past three months.

I do not know why, and I do not know why my daily views have tripled either.  Don't have a clue and don't expect this good fortune to last.

I'm just glad I'm finally making some money after all this time and that people are actually reading my hubs!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only people making money from Adsense are people who aren't enrolled in the HP Ads program.  Once you've signed up for HP Ads, there is only one Adsense ad on your Hub and it's right at the end where no one will see it, so it's only going to earn pennies if that.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
            LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa. If I can make money through HP Ads, are you saying I could make much more money if I opted out of it? I quite like the ease of just letting hp take care of that side of things. How much more complicated is it if you place ads yourself?

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
              Beth Eaglescliffeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi LTM
              It is no more complicated. You don't actually place the ads yourself with either scheme.

If you go to 'My account' and then 'Earnings' and then 'Settings' you will see two sections. The first is HP Earnings Programs which includes HP ad program, HP eBay program and HP Amazon program. The second section is External Affiliate program which is Google Adsense. You can opt-in or out of each program by simply clicking the button next to each of them and then entering the info they ask for.

I have opted in to all four progams.
              Marisa is right about the poor earning potential of the one ad that is on each hub for the Google adSense program. I only get a few pennies a month from it compared to the many dollars I earn from the HP AdSense program.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
                LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Beth. I've just been and checked my settings. I also have all of them activated. The reason why I chose that option in the first place was because of the diagram here ... http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/maki … y-HubPages showing the increased number of ads on the page. It seemed to me when I was new that it gave the best option of making money.

Like you, I actually do make money through hp ads. I'm wondering how many people have compared the difference in earnings when they change from adsense only to hp ads, or reverse. I know I'm happier linked with hp for amazon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)