When Was The Last Time You Used The Google Keyword Tool (Planner)?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 9 years ago

I think my last try was over a year ago. I honestly have never had success with it EVER, even with third party tools, bar ONE title about three years back.

If you're freaked out by it, don't stress. You don't HAVE to do keyword research to get good traffic.

Personally my two go-tos right now are:

1. Google suggest. Gives you longtail keywords AND you know people are actually searching those things.
    2. Checking competition. If none of the first page results really match, it's usually a winner.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've had very little success with Google's Keyword Planner, probably last time I used it was a month ago, more or less. I have had success with a keyword tool that you have to pay for, but at the time I used it, it was being offered for free with limited amount of keywords. At any rate, I never used that one for this account, but did use it for another account and my traffic was double the amount of this account with only maybe 1/5 of the content. So, my conclusion is you have to pay for a keyword tool if you're going to get one that works. At the moment can't afford that. So, I certainly appreciate your suggestions.

2. tony55 profile image86
      tony55posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't let keywords rule my life, before I did but now I just write from the heart.

1. Eliane Poungoum profile image60
        Eliane Poungoumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good decision I think.

3. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use Google Keyword Planner as a normal part of my process. I use it to gauge how much interest there is in the subject I'm contemplating writing about. I also use it in shaping the exact wording of my titles. One place it's really been helpful is in my posts on Writedge. They ask for tags that are at least two words long. Keyword Planner usually gives me lots of relevant tags for my subject.

All that being said, I have no idea how effective my use of Keyword Planner is in actually driving traffic.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

This is a relief to hear, WryLilt. I haven't used a keyword tool since Google revised/upgraded it. I never took the time to open an account and understand how to use it. I will make note of your suggestions.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I've never used it to choose subjects.   My logic is - everyone else is doing the same thing and getting exactly the same results, so if I write on those topics I'll soon get lost in the crowd.

On the few occasions I've tried to write on those subjects, I've never done well.  I've done much better writing based on my own areas of expertise.   I have used the keyword tool to work out the keywords for those areas, but not for a long time.

4. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

Just today, I changed a title after consulting it.

5. Margaret Schindel profile image95
    Margaret Schindelposted 9 years ago

Search Engine Land has a nice article on using Google Suggest for this purpose.
    http://www.searchenginejournal.com/begi … seo/73269/

6. WriterJanis2 profile image77
    WriterJanis2posted 9 years ago

I used it yesterday. I still find it to come in quite handy.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I tried using it last week but ended up ignoring it in the end.

7. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 9 years ago

I agree you don't have to use these tools. I try to think about the kind of language people are most likely to use in searches, and often like you Sallybea I will do a couple of searches to check out the competition if I'm not sure whether it will be worth my time writing on a subject, but that's about it.

8. isaacasante profile image82
    isaacasanteposted 9 years ago

I used it last week before writing my internet review... Actually, I already had my topic in mind and knew how I was going to go about it, for the most part. But I used the Keyword Tool just to check the popularity of my targeted keywords. The results were okay anyway, so I went ahead and wrote my evergreen hub.

I used it (I think last year) for my most popular article which currently gets around 400 views a day, and it really paid off, considering that tool really helped me create my title and enhance my subject. I know content is king, and I always try to write awesome content, but mini help from credible sources and tools won't hurt. My two cents.

9. Hamshi profile image67
    Hamshiposted 9 years ago

I use it 9/10 times when I want to write a new hub or any articles online.

Google suggestion tool is useful for giving ideas on what people search for, but not when it comes to finding out how many local and global searches those keywords get every month.

Keyword planner helps break down everything into detail and helps me find just the right type of keywords I want to go for. I love many things about it and some of them are:

-The option to target different locations/cities.
    -To include/exclude words-helps find the most relevant keywords related to your chosen topic.
    -CPC option-You can set it to a certain amount so it shows you keywords with CPC above or below that amount.
    -Monthly searches option: Helps you find keywords above or below the number you set it to. For e.g. if you set it to <1000, it will show you keywords with under 1000 monthly searches.

I agree that Google suggestion tool is useful but the keyword planner is also something really worth experimenting with.

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a difficult time using it, so used free Jaaxy for awhile. Now my free time is up, so google suggest may be a good choice. Any other ideas? Someone who is successful with keyword planner might consider writing a new hub to help us.

10. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

I have never been able to figure it out myself.

11. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

I haven't used Google keywords helper in about a year; never liked it. I 've had some small increases using the Google suggest lately  .wink

12. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 9 years ago

The Google Keyword Tool was actually very helpful when it worked.  It could help you select a much more effective title that will gain more traffic from Google Views.  But, as I understand it, Google no longer provides this information for free, so it's a moot point.  Now you have to pay Google or some other 3rd party for keyword info.  If anyone knows a free way to get reliable keyword search data, please share.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google Keyword Planner is free. The Keyword tool doesn't exist any more.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
        Rock_njposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Writer Fox and LindaSmith1.  That is a relief.  Unlike some others that have posted, I have found it to be quite useful.  It is surprising how many more searches are done on specific long tail keywords versus others.  What seems like a great title for a Hub, could be the wrong one to chose, if you want to get the most search engine traffic possible.  It's a rather easy step to find a title that people are searching for, and pays off in the long run with a higher number of organic search views.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Just sign up for an AdWords account.  It's free and you don't have to actually buy ads.  Then, you'll find the Keyword Planner on the top menu bar of your account page.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Rock_nj:  No, you don't have to pay.  There is some stupid message that appears which leads you to believe that, but it is not true.   You simply need a Google adwords account.

14. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 9 years ago

I tried it a couple of times but found that most of the keywords were already in my Hubs and stopped bothering about it. people still find my Hubs without it.

15. Eliane Poungoum profile image60
    Eliane Poungoumposted 9 years ago

Adwords is amazing. I've used it before. A little confusing for a newbie like me, but the support team was always there to help. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call Google Adwords free support at 8552900341. Hope this helps

16. gina1209 profile image71
    gina1209posted 9 years ago

I use the Google Keyword Planner all the time. I generally use it to get broad ideas of what to write about. Then, when I have some topics, I do more in-depth research using Market Samurai. This helps me check for keyword traffic and SEO competition.

I'm new to HubPages so I'm excited to see how this level of keyword research will affect my Hub traffic.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you're going to do very well. Especially if you're using Market Samurai. I've never used it but I've read good reviews on it. And I used a free version of a paid keyword tool and I couldn't believe the results; for a different HP account than this one I'm using. Within a couple months I was getting loads of traffic, totally doubled what I usually get on this account and with 1/5 the articles. I've had a little bit of success just with Keyword Planner but it doesn't compare to that paid keyword tool.

17. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Sorry to go off topic...but....BRAVO, wrylit...Congratulations on your Hubbie Award.  It is certainly well-deserved.  Celebrate!

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ditto! And congratulations to all other award winning authors, too.

I just tried the Google Keyword Planner and I was informed to update my browser. Recently, when I upgraded to Google Chrome so many things didn't work anymore that I went back to Internet Explorer. I really miss the old Keyword Tool which I used to use frequently.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Peg Cole   Chrome can be a pain, but I put up with it and finally got it to work, except that it won't work the sharing buttons. Good luck with Internet Explorer which also has its problems.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
          PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brakel2, I'm noticing on Pinterest that they keep reminding me that my browser is out of date. No joke, kiddo. Chrome was a royal pain and I begged my techie husband to change my laptop back. I'm clinging to IE until I can no longer function.
          smile

18. Sara2901 profile image61
    Sara2901posted 9 years ago

I made some lenses based on results from Google search only and they did very well. Google sometimes displays "searches related to..." at the bottom of the screen. I use these longtail KWs in my writing as well. These could be used as module headings in your article.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)