Self-Published Children's Book Authors

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

I was thinking about doing this, but my husband said there is no need because we have Amazon.  Here's my idea:  I thought of offering anyone who has self-published a children's book a free listing on my website (it deals with language... heaven and hubpages forbid I should actually give the link - ugh).  I was thinking that I could set up a system where I would ask for a specific size of picture (probably a nice tile size) with a blurb of a certain word count and a little about the author. The writer could link to the place they wish to sell their book or to any article they've written on hubpages or elsewhere about the book. 

Why would I do this?  1) There is no easy way to promote self-published books and if someone had a site like this, I myself would like it.  2) I think it would enhance my website because it is a website that is visited for our language games and other language resources 3) People like to support causes and I think self-publishing is a great concept to support 4) If you have a book on Amazon, there is no way to make your book stand out among the millions and 5) On a selfish note, if an author has a book on my website than he or she might tell friends and family and that would drive traffic to my website.

So who is right - my husband who thinks it isn't needed or me?  Is this just another crazy idea or might it be useful.  If you're a writer and/or artist of a self-published children's book would such a place be useful to you?  Please don't be shy about the negatives you see in this concept, OR if I'm missing some great self-publishing promotional avenue that's already in place and vibrant.

Thanks, Billie

1. TolovajWordsmith profile image90
      TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe in long term, although the type of traffic won't always be the best possible (and who can say his/her traffic is perfect), this is a win-win situation. As a site-owner myself I only see a problem with time - even if everything from authors comes on the silver plate, you'll still need some time to set posts/pages etc. And if you decide for some kind of automation, spammers will eat your site alive.

In short: good idea, always great to see generous people, but it is up to you, if you could handle the technicalities.

2. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 9 years ago

I self publish YA science fantasy books so can see why it would be beneficial to me, as all publicity and links are good.

But although adding these books and links to your website might bring you more traffic, is it the type of traffic you want? The type of readers who will then go on and use the resources you provide?

If publicising self-published children's books is an interest of yours, would it be better to set up another site and monetise it with ads and Amazon links?

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

C,  I think that's a great point.  That's exactly what Laura Pepper Wu says in her ebook, "77 Ways to Find Readers for Your Self-Published Book." (You want other readers not writers).  I don't think I can afford to monetize on Amazon though. 
      The other reason for my interest in doing this is because my website is related to language learning and I do get a lot of schoools coming there.  I just think it would add nice content for my visitors.  If I have several other people from here who would like to do this, I think I'll give it a try by just "whipping" up a page and maybe having like 10 tiles of books.  I like to be up-front with my visitors and would say something to the effect that the books below have been self-published by my fellow writers who also write on hubpages - something like that. I really don't know if it would be of benefit to anyone, but I could try.  You can email me at leftpawedpuppy@gmail.com if yo want to take a look at my website and see if it would be suitable.  I'm in the process of transferring everything from my old website to the new interface which also functions as a mobile app.  Just let me know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)