Amazon Capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 9 years ago

How many Amazon capsules are allowed per how many words? I don't care personally, I never made much on Amazon. But on a few of the lenses that came over, they are almost all Amazon capsules, with maybe 200 words. I tried to tell one person in a nice way that it was an interesting topic, but that she should check her word count, as I thought she had too many capsules. She was nice, but didn't seem to get the message, and said it was one of her first lenses. This is going to be an issue, perhaps it should be elaborated on more.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's 50 words per Amazon product.  But, the products have to be relevant to the content on the Hub and the Hub has to be about more than selling products. 

So many of the ones I've seen transferred from Squidoo are just as you describe.  I think four months is way too long to have articles like that featured on HP and hope it doesn't backfire on the HP site.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"In order to maintain a standard of high quality, HubPages requires that every Hub contain 50 words per Amazon or eBay product, e.g., if you have three related Amazon products in your Hub, you need 150 original words. Hubs that fall below this threshold will be moderated and need to be updated before they can be republished." http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … te-account

Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jayne,
        The hub I saw had about 200 words like I said, and about 12 Amazon capsules. The descriptions of the Amazon items looked to be more words than the "hub", I didn't bother to count the words.

It's just I can recall having carpal tunnel flare ups because we had to have one Amazon capsule per hub at one point, unless it was a hub about multiple people or one that was conducive to adding more than one. I had to change over 100 hubs, it was a nightmare.

2. justom profile image58
    justomposted 9 years ago

I'm so happy that I just don't have time or care about any of this. Just stopped by to say hi Jean, hope all's well with you and your family :-)   Peace!!

Hi justom,
      It's good to see you. I hope you and your son are still making all that great artwork. Have you been to Maine lately?

My husband passed on suddenly in January, so I'm doing better, but it was quite a shock. I'm glad my son still lives here. And I was lucky to be loved for 34 yrs. of marriage and 5 yrs. of dating. I'll get there.

1. justom profile image58
        justomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh my God Jean, I'm so sorry to hear that. It is good you have your son there with you. Seems like in the last year I've been seeing more people go suddenly just out of the blue. My good friend Daren's sister is in bad shape now. 35 years old and her organs are shutting down and her brain is swollen and the Dr.'s have no idea what's even causing it. I'm glad you're doing better. Haven't been to Maine in a couple of years. I had  plans to move there but they're on hold again. We are doing an art show tomorrow and now we do some steampunk jewelry too so we'll see how it goes. Either way it's good to get out around people for a change. I get more lame by the day about that but I do have a couple of thousand photos of hummingbirds from over the summer so I did have some fun :-) Take care and I'll keep in better touch.   Peace, now more than ever!        Tom

Thanks Tom,
          I try to attract hummingbirds, but NJ has seen a big rise in bears in the last years, and sadly there have been sanctioned bear hunts. We can't put out bird seeds, and have to build secure garbage boxes to keep them out. They are beautiful to watch though, but the numbers are down.

A few years ago, I came home from a walk, and at the top of my deck steps, a bear was curled up and sleeping like a dog by our grill! We sure saw a lot of interesting things, they are very graceful for their sizes.

Yes, I never expected to lose my husband so soon, I am slowly trying to rebuild my life. It's been a hard road, but I'm still here and am slowly moving forward. That's all we can do, right? I'm sorry about your friend. It's all part of getting older I guess. Someone was trying to get my son to invest in something where you could get your money at 59 1/2, and it only made him upset, since his Dad was 58. He'll be OK too, he's keeping busy and has good friends.

1. justom profile image58
            justomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good for both of you Jean, I'll check back with you more often. take care.      Tom

3. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox: As soon as the transferred Squidoo lens is put in edit, that now hub no longer has the grace period.  They are subject to QAP

4. LindaSmith1 profile image62

When you see that Jean report it as overly promotional. Then a human takes a look at it.

I'm only trying to help.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image62

The problem is that this is not Squidoo.  The word count in descriptions are not counted and would be considered to be fluff, low quality, if they were counted.  The best thing to do is to write hub.  Then add capsules for word count which is shown at top while you are writing hub, on the right.

6. Mira Fang profile image61
    Mira Fangposted 9 years ago

Jean, I appreciate you bringing this up. As a reader, there is nothing more frustrating than having to sift through overly promotional pieces. Thank you.

Mira,
      You are very welcome. My intention was not to be critical, that one hub just seemed very, very over promotional and I know that won't be allowed down the road. I realize there will be time to fix them, but if newbies understand they are using too many Amazon capsules at the start, they will save a lot of editing time later on. Best Wishes.

7. Cheeky Kid profile image96
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

It's probably a lens from squidoo that migrated here. Don't put pressure that much on the person because those who migrated are still on the process of fixing their hubs here. They'll iron them out eventually. big_smile

8. Mira Fang profile image61
    Mira Fangposted 9 years ago

It was not my intention to pressure. The information in this thread is relevant to myself as well considering I recently joined hubpages.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image62

On another thread, Paul Edmonson said that descriptions count towards word count. I think we will see more of the one initial paragraph and the rest Amazon capsules with descriptions just like Squidoo.  However, that counter on Hub while working on it, does not count what is in the description box.

I've been seeing Amazon product descriptions longer than the hub paragraphs. I wouldn't care, but it was so hard to spend days taking Amazon capsules off all our own hubs. I know the new people deserve time to fix their work. But it would be easier on them if they didn't write two paragraphs and put a dozen products on it at the beginning, a lot of their work would already be done. Why mess up a decent hub so badly right from the start?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jean, you may remember that you didn't have to take all those Amazon capsules off your Hubs - you never had too many in the beginning.  When the rule was changed, it was changed to one product per Amazon capsule, NOT one capsule per Hub. It's such a pity that you (and some others) had that misunderstanding as you did a lot of work for nothing! 

As for the long descriptions, if you want to explain why you recommend a product then inside the capsules is the way to do it.  It still counts towards your word count, and it looks neater than having a paragraph of explanation then trying to make sure the Amazon capsule lines up next to it - which is going to get messed up anyway, if someone looks at your Hub on a mobile or tablet.

Thanks as usual, Marisa. I did misunderstand it then, and took so many capsules off, even though few of my hubs were promotional anyway. I had hubs that covered several celebrities, so wanted to put capsules for each person. That was allowed, since my word count is usually fine. But I didn't know the words in the description of the product counted. I may have done better with Amazon if I explained my products more. It's hard to find products in my niche, and I may take the capsules off completely.

10. LindaSmith1 profile image62

It is definitely going to get interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)