What kind of Communication is this?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69
    KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years ago

Please review the automatically generated warning below before you publish this Hub. Please click on the warning to learn more.

WARNING: Advertising has been disabled on this Hub based on automatic content filters

This Hub is not published, only you can see it.

OK....this is what I found along with the little money with a line through it icon.  Huh????  How can they say this is inappropriate before it's even published?  Content filters for a draft?  OK...so what is adult content?

I looked and there are several articles with the subject matter, all with ads.  OK, so maybe the word Breast isn't good, as in Breast Cancer.  Nope, those are published also.

Photos?  Nope I asked in advance to several people and got generic, family friendly images, plus a filter can't do more than see if it's properly licensed on the page anyway.

So, does this happen often and what am I supposed to do.  Oh, and to be very clear I wrote to the email address given to see if this subject, and the images I wanted to use was OK before I even started.  I never heard back from them!

1. sockii profile image71
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Try removing and then re-adding capsules one at a time to see if the warning goes away. If so then you know it's a particular word or phrase in that capsule that is tripping the filter and you can narrow it down from there.

I had it happen on one hub I was working on...it wasn't that the subject matter itself was inappropriate but only a single word.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you click on warnings that appear additional information is always provided that explains it further.  For that particular warning, this is the additional information:

"All hubs are automatically reviewed for content that may be indicative of a HubPages Terms of Use or a Google AdSense Policy Violation. Although your content may not fit into any of these categories, the emphasis of some sensitive subject matter in a Hub may trigger this warning. To learn more, please read the FAQ entry Why were ads disabled on my hub?"

I'm pretty sure I know which Hub you are referring to, frequent use of words like "erect" and "nipple" and "breast" are the problem there.  It's just barely on the edge of where the filter trips, so once it's done it may have cleared itself.  If it hasn't, just contact us from the link at the bottom here once it's published and ads will be re-enabled manually:

http://hubpages.com/help-answer/alert/disabled/

2. SusannaDuffy profile image80
    SusannaDuffyposted 9 years ago

Check all your links

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69
      KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Susanna....the article isn't even done.  The only links on it at this point are 3 to Flickr.

1. TonyPayne profile image78
        TonyPayneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hate that term "automatic content filters", reeks of the chaos that ensued at Squidoo with these.
        Hopefully you can get a manual review of the hub and someone can tell you what the filters don't like about it.
        Unfortunately filters are not human, and so it could be the innocent (in this case) use of the word "breast". It's really frustrating I know, and the rules/filters here are different to those on Squidoo.
        Hopefully though they work better than those on Squidoo and are more consistent.

3. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

It happened with my hub too, due to an automated content, title or URL filter. I published the hub and the restriction was lifted after manual filter. But then again the the restriction was imposed and ads were disabled. I left it and, it is giving me views. You can place it in a group, and add amazon and eBay capsules.

4. LisaMarieGabriel profile image87
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years ago

I had the very same problem with my page on The Owl and the Pussycat. I think the filters felt the need to protect the site from ads targeting the word pussy. Very odd!

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago
  6. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

Kathy, what sockii has mentioned is a good suggestion. Although, it would surely help if the content could be highlighted to indicate it is hit by the automated filter. For me, the word "sexy" seemed to do it on my Corset Dress hub that I ended up deleting and moving. Although corsets, for the most part are sexy, I don't think that word is encouraged from my experience.

Can't wait to hear what you find conclusively on this matter!

1. Lionrhod profile image79
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One would think that the word "sexy" would be something clothing/makeup etc advertisers would WANT to target. *sigh*

7. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69

Wow Paul,,,,,

I didn't even remember using those words, but yes, the word erect is in there to describe a procedure, and nipple too.  Unbelievable. 
    So, what I have learned is that the filters here see/find words as we write them?

Thank you for the reply, and as you can tell, I did write and ask if this subject matter was appropriate.  I also read the stuff you said but couldn't figure out what adult content I had?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes they do, Kathy, and if you think about it, it's a good idea.   Wouldn't it be worse to put all the effort into completing a Hub, then finding it can't be published?   Far better to find out before you've done all that work. 

Yes, HubPages applies the Adsense rules strictly, and some believe they go over the top.  However, they do it for good reason - without Adsense, the site couldn't earn an income and therefore couldn't survive.  I used to grumble about it too - then Wizzley.com lost their Adsense account because Adsense didn't like an image - ONE image! - uploaded by a member.  Luckily they were able to get reinstated on appeal, but the site was unable to earn income for several weeks and it was a scarey time.  So while I may still grumble occasionally, I have to respect HubPages' right to play it safe on this.

I know it's annoying not to be able to publish Hubs on serious health issues because of a few words which could be deemed "naughty" - but it's not as if HubPages is the only place you can write, after all.

Also, if you don't have your Adsense account yet, be aware that your application won't be approved if you have an "adult content" Hub on your account when you apply, even if the ads aren't enabled on it.  So wait to publish that one until you get approved.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But it isn't 'adult content'. Did you see Paul Deeds' reply above? http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125047#post2640497 If ads have been manually re-enabled, surely it's an indication for Google that the content is NOT adult, and is in keeping with Google's regulations--something HubPages is very, very careful about. In spite of this, Adsense would still reject an application because of 'adult content'? Adsense would refuse the applicant, because they'd automatically misinterpret words like 'nipple', 'breast' and 'erect' in the applicant's content? But even then, whatever or whoever vets the application would surely pick up the fact that ads are allowed, which indicates that the words are not being used in an 'adult' context. Or isn't the vetting system sophisticated enough to put two and two together? I'm surprised Paul Deeds didn't mention this, because it's very important.

2. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69
        KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am all for rules, I just didn't know this is how it worked here.  Now I do.

As for adsense, I have had it for years and nothing I have ever written was censored; maybe because my subject matter didn't need it.  This particular piece was on a health procedure I never heard of, and figured I couldn't possibly be the only one looking for it.  I checked to see if the it was on HP, it was, but I wasn't sure about the images, so asked.. 

A friend  runs Goody Guides (another writing site) and she told me the images weren't appropriate for adsense, so I never even put them on there.  Seemed strange to me that anyone could think this was adult content, but hey, it is what it is, so I found safe ones. 

Anyway...long story short, most people are OK with something if they know about it.  This I didn't know about, and now I do smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many other people have made the same comment, that they see Adsense on other sites on subjects which HubPages won't allow.   Which is why they complain that HubPages is too strict.   I think that's a fair comment, but at the same time, I can understand why HP does it.

If you see other Hubs already published on a topic, that doesn't mean it's OK. 

First check whether they're showing ads:  if not, then HubPages has done a manual review, and decided it's worthy of publication but not to risk showing Adsense on it - which means the Hub will earn nothing.  So if you want to write it as a public service rather than to earn money, you can ask for a manual review. 

The other possibility is that the Hub has slipped under the radar - they do.   QAP was introduced only recently and HubPages did say they would be working through the backlog of previously published Hubs.   We don't know how far they've got, but every now and then you'll see someone post on these forums to say, "I've had this Hub published for two years and it was never a problem, how come it's been unpublished for inappropriate content?"   It's because the automated filters didn't pick it up, and a human moderator has only just gotten around to it.

8. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

You know Kathy, it is rather helpful that we have a filter on us as we write. I wonder if there is such a thing available for those of us who might want to compose our content off-screen? That would be helpful. Glad that you got the answer from Paul. It is much appreciated to have interactions from HQ staff to help guide us as newbies.

9. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69

@Marisa, 
    LOL....of course you're right, and I do understand.  I didn't mean that just cuz I had something forever that it was good.  I meant I censor myself, and the subjects I have written about weren't ones that violated any TOS, adsense, or weren't safe for the proverbial child we have to keep in mind for "family safe."

Paul stated the issue, I am good with that and will check the page over before hitting publish.

10. justholidays profile image68
    justholidaysposted 9 years ago

I've had such an experience with my pin up costume Hub and a few hours after sending a mail to admin Adsense ads were reinstated.

However in case you edit such a Hub, it might once again be flagged by the same filter for the same motive.

Luckily HP's staff is proactive and productive big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)