Amazon Descriptions

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone! Is there a way to put descriptions (other than a title) in Amazon capsules? I've seen a few around on hubs and don't have the foggiest how to do it. Would love to learn how....

1. Camille Harris profile image87
      Camille Harrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yup!

You should click "Choose a specific product" and then click the "Add description" link. Hope this helps!!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11835044.jpg

Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMG how silly do I feel? I didn't see it because I always pick keywords rather than specific product. Thanks for that, will be using it!

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel silly, I didn't know either Suzanne. I saw that most squids had been doing it, but I had no idea. But do you have to know the Amazon URL or ISBN for a product? Do you have to actually visit Amazon to find a product so you can include that?

1. Susan Zutautas profile image80
            Susan Zutautasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jodah,
            If you go to Amazon and click on the product you want in your hub just copy the URL and use it for your ASIN spot.

1. Jodah profile image92

Ok thanks Susan and Glenn. Thanks.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You need to use the ISBN or ASIN number to indicate a specific product. Then you can include your own description for that product.

Yep, tried and tested. Just get the ASIN and it works!

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

Products are referenced with ASIN numbers. Books have ISBN numbers.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
                  DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe there is an exception on books.  If I am not mistaken, I think I saw that e-books have an AISN number instead of an ISBN number.

It's not an exemption. Printed books have ISBN numbers. But you are right about Kindle books, they have ASIN numbers.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image77
            CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your question.  I did not know about the description link either.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you're not doing that already, you're probably doing it wrong anyway!

Amazon products never sell unless they're very, very specific to the subject of your Hub, so you should always be visiting Amazon to suss out the absolute best you can find before you create a capsule.

2. lisavollrath profile image94
          lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm right there with you. I never noticed that description link before. I've been adding an extra text capsule below my Amazon products, to describe them. Off to edit a few hubs...

3. Shades-of-truth profile image81
          Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree, don't feel silly. It took me really looking over the capsule to figure it out. We had a lot to learn in a very short time!

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Suzanne,
      I click on "Add Keyword(s)" and type in description of item.

Hi, yes I saw that, but you have to choose Specific Product and not Keywords to have the option.

Examiner-1, You can't add a description if you use keywords. Descriptions apply to specific products. Keywords are too nonspecific. That's why there is no description field when using keywords.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

They have helped me. Say I choose Keywords in a Hub I wrote on 'wild birds', any kind of book shows up, say a hardware book. So when I type 'Wild Birds' in Description wild bird books then shows up when I Preview Amazon Result.

What you need to do is choose Amazon capsule, then specific product. Copy and paste an ASIN or IBSN number into this field by visiting Amazon, scrolling down the page to where you can get the ASIN or IBSN number (usually on the left, below the product description). Then back in Hubpages, click on the right hand side description box within the Amazon capsule and add in your own description to make it more interesting. Then click preview Amazon results and done.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Thank you Suzanne.

2. Maffew James profile image94
              Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't actually need to copy the product number. The ASIN number is part of the URL, and if you paste the complete URL into the 'specific product' field, it will strip out everything except the ASIN and produce the item for you.

OHhhhhhh...now THAT's a trick I did not know, and will be very helpful, as I've been having trouble with my mouse, and getting things to highlight so I can copy them.

Examiner-1,

You are confusing using a description as your keywords vs. typing a description that displays in your hub. 

More importantly, if you use keywords to select a product, you never know what product appears. It may be one thing when you look at it, and another day it's something else that doesn't quite match your hub's subject matter. If that happens, Google may consider your hub to be spam (* see link below).  The latest rules consider a hub to be spam if it contains affiliate products that don't closely relate to the subject.

* EDIT: I added this link about Google's spam guidelines.
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125232#post2643452

I have  never used that.  I may be considered something of a minor control-freak, but I want to select what products to feature with my articles.  neutral wink

Good for you! That's the safer way anyway, because it's consistent.

2. profile image0
    bobtyndallposted 9 years ago

Suzanne, you have to choose a specific item at Amazon. Go to Amazon and find what you want. Copy the url of the item and in the Amazon capsule, click pick a specific item. The space for the url comes up and at the end of it the is a description link. Click that and it shows below the url. You can enter your own description or copy the description from the Amazon item. Keep in mind the Amazon description counts towards your 50 word count when it applies to how many amazon capsules you can have.

No!!! You are misguiding innocent people. Don't copy the description from Amazon. You'll get dinged for plagiarism.  Write your own in your own words.

3. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Thank you to all for your very useful information!

I would often use keyword related Amazon selection, as sometimes products come and go and it could be irriating going back to check on them and update. But I will keep in mind that Google thinks they may potentially be spam.

It's also interesting how the description counts in the 50 word limit for products, and that you can paste the URL instead of ASIN to get the product.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I used to use keyword selection too - to the point where I'd find a product I liked, then tweak my keywords so that particular product would appear.   Like you, I felt that was the best way to ensure the capsule wouldn't wind up empty!

I'm now a convert to the ASIN number, because I do like the look of the new full-width Amazon capsule with the description inside it.  Still a bit worried about the potential of the product disappearing but I do try to pick products that have been around for a while.

It definitely looks better with a description - it's a pity we can't have a description on the keyword ones.

I'll tell you why.  You write a description for specific items. But when you use keywords, you never know what is you get. It can change when you're not watching. If you were able to write a description for keywords and another item you don't expect gets shown, the reader will be totally confused. Is that what you want?

Hi Glenn, I beg to differ. If I put "delica beads" into the keywords box, it doesn't matter whether people get a book about it or a packet of beads. I would write something along the lines of "Delica beads are hard to find, yet they are fantastic in all sorts of beading projects. Their uniform appearance makes them particularly good for peyote and brick stitch".

I think it would be most applicable...

I think what Glenn is saying is that description wouldn't be enough to persuade the reader to click - it's too general.   If you really want to make a sale, you need to convince the reader of the value of that particular item before they click.

Thank you Marisa. You said that well.

Rather than arguing with you, see what Paul Edmondson says about this.
              http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125232

Yep, thanks for the read. But you started the "argument", I merely expressed an opinion and you jumped down my throat over it. But thanks for your input anyway and thank you to Marisa for clarifying. No hard feelings.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm jumping down your throat. But just to keep the record straight, you started this thread. I'm simply answering your question with respect to how Google handles it. My only desire is to help avoid being tagged as a spammer under Google's latest algorithm by using general keywords that end up displaying unrelated products. Using any affiliate advertising is becoming very tricky lately and we all have to be careful. No hard feelings. Have a good weekend, I'm signing off now, it's late.

Have a good sleep!

Thank you for your response. Although, I do have to point out that starting a thread and starting an argument are two completely different things.

As a fellow hubber, I appreciate your advice and your time!

2. Jodah profile image92

I have never noticed the Amazon items I have searched for using keywords 'change'. Even ads I have had on hubs for over a year. eBay items searched by keyword however change all the time, after an item is purchased. This may not be the case, but I have never noticed it happen on my hubs.

It all depends how you use keywords.  In the example Suzanna gave, she used a general search "delica beads" and didn't limit it to a particular category, hence she might get a book about the beads or the beads themselves.   I'd be more likely to limit that by category, and in that case it wouldn't change.

1. Jodah profile image92

Ok thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)