What Do You Look For First?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

When you log into HP for the first time in a day, what do you look for first? Stats, comments, other posts, what?

I look at the comments next to my userpic so that if I am able I can reply to that first. Then I look at the most recent notifications. After that I switch over to HP email.

1. lisavanvorst profile image63
      lisavanvorstposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I look to see if there are any new comments. Then I look at new hubs. I rarely look at my earnings because I really haven't made money on this site. I enjoy writing new hubs and reading others. When I first registered for this site I was unemployed and writing to keep my sanity from boredom. I also needed extra money. I really haven't seen any. In fact I don't even put e-bay or amazon capsules in my hubs anymore because to me it is hard to sell an item that way. I never have no matter what I posted and I usual would post an item relevant to my writing, still no sales.

2. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I look first for the comments, and then replies on Questions and Forums I follow.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I look at my stats first, which, as things presently stand, isn't a good start.

Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From what I'm reading in the forums, etc. The stats might not be the first thing to check as they're pretty depressing.

3. lawrence01 profile image65
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

Either the stats or who might have made a comment on a Hub I'm interested in.

4. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image63
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

I always look first for my traffic, then to find if there is any comments to reply.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Obviously traffic - except it is currently pointless to do so.

Notifications, forums.  That's about it.

6. pateluday profile image52
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

I look for my accounts and see how my hubs are doing. I also keep tab on comments and reply immediately.

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

It's interesting that so many people look at stats first. 

It's a bad habit to get into and I encourage everyone to avoid it!   It will make your HubPages journey so much more enjoyable if you do.

Looking at your stats every day is totally pointless, like weighing yourself every day when you're dieting.  One day's stats tell you nothing about how your Hubs are doing!    Just like daily weighing, checking every day just means you'll stress unnecessarily about minor ups and downs.

Everything you do on HubPages has a delayed effect - publish a new Hub, or improve an old one, and Google will probably not react immediately.  It can take weeks before the effect of a change is known.  So it's trends in reader numbers over weeks and months you're interested in, day by day is meaningless.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point, Marisa. I have my computer set to go right into my feed, and, although I am not as active on the forums as you are, I do try to read most of them and learn a lot by doing so. It is a lot better use of time than reading those stats every day!

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image63
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I love to follow these great tips since I have that bad habit of just no daily checking but hourly checking!  I mean at a gap of three or five hours gap.  Now my daily traffic has gone to the worst level from a  healthy count of nearly 1000 hits.  It is disappoint to note the present level has come even below 200.  So I will leave my practice of daily check and instead my study the weekly report.  In fact even the comparison of that weekly report too is disappointing as the tendency is in such a negative way. I need your advice on these traffic fall, if you don't mind.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course I look at my stats page daily. I'm taken there automatically after clicking 'My Account'. I want to check for broken links, 'featured' and 'not featured' status, messages from HubPages that appear at the top of the stats page etc. etc. And I find the numbers interesting, even if daily changes tell me nothing for the long term. From there, I go to my earnings.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fair point.  When I saw people mentioning "stats", I immediately thought of traffic!    Of course it's a good idea to check for broken links and Featured/unFeatured status, though I'd still say it's not essential to do it on a daily basis.  As for earnings - I never look at them.  I'll know how much I've earned when I get paid, no point in fretting about them any other time.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
          Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't look either if they caused me to fret.

4. lawrence01 profile image65
      lawrence01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Marisa. I'll keep it in mind

8. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 9 years ago

When I am expecting a new hub to be featured, I look at my account page first. Then I will check other hubbers, and reply to comments.

9. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 9 years ago

Stats, but they are broken so often I find them unreliable at best.

I know I know, use Google stats.  But I don't trust those either and they are much harder to read.

My stats are great, I just don't get paid enough for them for whatever reason.

10. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

Every morning after my cup of coffee, I search for newly published Hubs within the last 24 hrs. If I find one of interest to me, I click on the Author's profile first to view his previous work. If all his Hubs are generally on the same topic, I will read it.

11. Kalafina profile image66
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

Depends on the day. Sometimes earnings, sometimes stats, on productive days hubs which I really need to finish. Although I usually just keep the site up on my Nook Color HD+ which for some reason makes me refresh my profile before anything updated can be seen...so if it is an e-reader day then my profile.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Since the sign-in page is HubPages, I check for Comments. Next I check Hub statistics for errors, broken links, etc. Then I go through morning email and I check HubPages for new Hubs etc.. That usually takes up time until lunch.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Of course mostly these days I have been checking the forums to see if my ban has been lifted.

And do you know what!!!!!!!!!

I wrote a hub about it.

That isn't self-publicising by the way.  Some of the most frequent posters on this forum regularly refer to Hubs they have written.

Let's see how the moderators apply the rules shall we?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're allowed to refer people to a Hub, you're just not allowed to LINK to it. 

You are allowed to link to someone else's Hub, too, like this
        http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/Banne … the-Forums

3. mio cid profile image59
      mio cidposted 9 years ago

where is the hp email in al these years i've never seen it

When you set your notification settings you'll receive an email for notifications you opt to receive. Click string:

My Account on the drop down under your username at the top right of the page => Profile Tab => Email settings => you'll be asked to answer one of your security questions => select your preferences for email

Interesting. It's my employment that's the source of my boredom.

4. Shorebirdie profile image74
      Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

I look at the notifications and the feeds, first, then my stats.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not look at my stats, I check for errors, etc.

5. pateluday profile image52
      pateludayposted 9 years ago

Another important aspect is improvement. Looking at the hubs and working upon them frequently to improve the write ups. This is more time consuming but rewarding.

6. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years ago

I look at stats first, specifically the 1 Day column to check traffic. Then I look for violations, then I check to see if everything is still featured.

7. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years ago

Same as you Arachnea...first comments on my own hubs, then notifications, then emails from Hub Pages. After that a quick perusal to see if views on any of my hubs has gone up or down.

I find that following the same routine when I first open up HP helps me to stay on top of things better. This works for a lot of things actually.

That Nook Color HD+ is a sweet device. I love mine for streaming movies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did a bit of a rough tally for interest's sake. Interesting what everyone thinks is most important first. The i's are replacing tick marks.

TALLY:

1st:

comments needing replies: iiiii
        stats: iiiii ii
        traffic: ii
        one's own hubs: ii
        feed: ii
        other hubbers' hubs: ii
        earnings: i
        profile: i
        forums: i
        notifications: i
        acct: i
        hubber score: i

2nd:

notifications: iii
        comments on other hubs: i
        comments needing replies: ii
        other hubbers' hubs: ii
        stats: iii
        earnings: i
        feed: i
        acct: i
        questions: i

3rd:

email from HP: ii
        forums: ii
        comments needing replies: ii
        stats: i
        errors: i
        one's own hubs: i
        explore: i

8. Tobi Ayeni profile image60
      Tobi Ayeniposted 9 years ago

definitely stats> notifications> explore then whatever comes next

9. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I like to check my feed to see what new stuff all my followed writers have put out. It keeps me learning ad often triggers ideas of my own. I then check my stats up and downs. I do sometimes check earnings, but these are not reliable so I try not to.

I check for comments and E mails to reply to, i like to respond the day after they were sent at the latest. I know checking stats is dangerous, but I do compare HP to Google to see how they vary.

I have noticed that I earn a little from HP on Adsense directly but much more here. Why is this? is that advertising split 60% and 40% too? If so why is most of the earning from HP placed ads? Do Google favor HP as they are a larger entity?

10. Glenda Motsavage profile image70
      Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

I go immediately to my Profile page to check my Hubber score.  I don't know why.  I'm getting the impression it doesn't mean a whole lot!

11. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Comments, stats, errors in whatever order HP makes them notable fist, though comments are definitely my first go-to if any appear. Then the HUGE pile of notifications. (Gotta find the way to trim that, but now while I'm in learning mode I'm following a lot of forum issues!)

Then I move on to ignoring any of the above for a few hours while I work on my hubs.

12. Solaras profile image97
      Solarasposted 9 years ago

Earnings, Stats then Notifications

13. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

First I see if I have any comments to answer, then it varies.   Might check my feed, or might go and update a lens to a hub.   Or I might go to the forums or see what hubs sound interesting.   
      One thing for sure, there's always plenty to do.  :-)

14. profile image0
      IslamWashiaposted 9 years ago

I first look at the unanswered questions

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)