My first hub got a very low score, how should I improve it?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Lissa Clason profile image93
    Lissa Clasonposted 9 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm new to HubPages, and I just published my first hub, a free verse poem. I got a HubScore of 54 on it, so I'm worried that it isn't good enough and needs to be improved somehow. Is my writing quality not good enough? Should there be more capsules on the page, or should I put in an explanation of the poem? Or is it just that I don't have much traffic yet? Also, how well does creative writing do on HubPages, in general? Please let me know what I can do to improve my hub.

http://lissaclason.hubpages.com/hub/Grains-A-Poem

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lissa and welcome to HP. When I first started writing hubs, it seems they scored at least in the mid-70s when they were first published. I don't know what has changed, but it now seems that all of my recently published hubs (those within the past month) have started off with scores in the 50s, but they've gone up fairly quickly. I'd suggest giving the hub at least a week before deciding to make any changes. If the score doesn't increase by then, perhaps you could add a couple of pictures or something.

2. dhimanreena profile image63
      dhimanreenaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Lissa, don't fret. Last week, I wrote a very informative 3000+ words hub by using images, videos and other capsules. But to my dismay, when I checked my hubscore it was only 54. I was shattered because it was the first time I wrote over 3000 words and I was expecting it to reach over 85 hubscore. The most sad part was that it reduced my hubberscore also. I did not make any edits to it and after 1 week, I noticed a sudden rise in my hubscore. I am happy to share that 'this' hub has now topped my list as it got highest hubscore. So, the morale of the story is have some patience and wait for a weak. I am sure you will notice a change in your hubscore.

2. Lissa Clason profile image93
    Lissa Clasonposted 9 years ago

Alright, I'll wait for a bit and see what happens. Good to know that a lot of them start out in the 50s, I was worried because I've seen a lot in the 80s and 90s and thought 50 was extremely low as a result.

3. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Hubscores are not a writing grade. They are the result of a mysterious algorithm that looks at many aspects of the article. Often, hubscores increase as the hub gets older. My hubscores seem to increase with more traffic, and when people share it on social media, vote it up and backlink to it. The scores are always moving in one direction or another. When I write a hub quickly, all at once, it starts out with a very low score. If I write an article slowly, addind a paragraph here and there over time, when I finally publish it, it will have a higher score.

Scores are basically meaningless when it comes to earnings and readership.  You can have a very successful article with a low score.

Scores seem to be causing more and more confusion and stress lately as so many seem to think they are tied to a writer's skill. While that might have a little to do with it, over all, the scores are made up of many little things, such as traffic, their ability to inspire comments, how often readers share them or rate them up, the uniqueness of the subject matter, length, grammar and spelling, the rating that the human moderator gave it, and much more.

What is your goal as a writer here? Is it to make money? Disseminate information? Make a name for yourself as a poet? Make online friends? Learn how to write for the net? Have a place where friends and family can log in and read your stuff? Create an online portfolio? Whatever your goals are, focus on those and not the silly Hubscore. HP should dump those dumb scores or make them more meaningful.

4. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 9 years ago

Welcome Lissa, you can increase your Hub scores (and readability) by cutting the text into more text capsules and use a catching title for every capsule. Furthermore the more boxes are ticked in the edit mode, the higher your Hub score. Long pieces of text is no guarantee for a high score.
    Keep your audience interested by using photo's, many text capsules, intermezzo's (little text capsules on the right, make them blue or grey), polls, video's. Your Hub gets more embossed when you vary with capsules.

Oh yes, I just read your article about diamonds. Very interesting, but I always get lost in texts that are not cut into paragraphs. It makes it much more readable.

Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)