Advice to Newbies!! Don't publish on the weekend!!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

If you are relatively new here and wish your new hubs to be read when first published, then don't publish on or near the weekend.  There is a possibility they will never be seen on the "latest hubs" pages. 
    This isn't very important if you have been here awhile and have followers who see when you publish on the feed or are notified by email or other prompts, but when you are new it's difficult to simply get someone to look at your hubs.

For example, I published a hub on Sunday and it never showed up on the latest hubs at all, as far as I know.  This morning the latest hubs were 3 DAYS OLD!  Yep everyone who published a hub this weekend and didn't hit the cutoff did not get a chance, or very much if any, to have their hubs checked out by the readers. 

It's now back to what passes as normal but, I never saw any new ones till just a while ago.  I suppose some hubs never made it or are so far back in the pack they'll never see the light of day.  So keep this in mind and don't publish on the weekend if you wish your hubs to be looked over and rated in a timely manner.  Merely trying to help avoid some grief for the new guys! smile   

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy I know you're smarter than that, so I'm assuming you're having a dig at the newbies.

1. Internal views aren't worth much if you're here for money. Doesn't matter when you publish if you want views from search engines - they can take at least a few weeks to arrive anyway.

2. This is a temporary glitch (as pointed out by staff in the other thread) and isn't what normally happens. In fact there are probably more hubbers browsing on weekends than on other day.

*Sits back and watches how many people fall for your post.*

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Wry Lit, I do know that.  But newbies don't.  Perhaps you don't remember when you first started writing, but I've only been writing for a short time and still recall how anxious I was for some feedback.  I still appreciate it too!  And often new writers don't look at it like you do as mostly for getting better links for the money, so merely getting feedback is important to some of us.

And even though the latest hub thing may be merely a glitch, you and I both know when the glitches are more likely to happen.  No, it isn't particularly important for me to see my hub on this particular feature.  But it is for some.  smile

1. brakel2 profile image74
          brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been sorry for posting on the weekend, and I never do it anymore. Many people are busy on the weekend, and do not go to Hubpages. Thank you for pointing this out to the new hubbers. I am sure they appreciate your taking the time to write your post.

2. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip, i am oldbie here, four years old writer but hardly write, interact most of the time

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

This is a great tip, RG.  For some reason, I tend to do this-- even though I am not new.

I think your suggestion might be especially valuable to new hubbers who might find their weekends to be the 'freest' time they have, and they are anxious to get things up. 

A new hub by a new hubber may have a better chance of a glance in the weekday feeds.

3. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 12 years ago

I am a new hubber. I posted two hubs over the weekend and waited to see them in the latest tab. And you are so right, it is important for me because I still have very few (3) followers, so this is my chance to get them seen and receive feedback or comments. I will take your advice and not publish on the weekend- Thanks.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now you have 6 followers...lol.... Welcome to HubPages........cool

1. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the Welcome LuisEGonzalez and Randy! I've enjoyed the community of writers at hubpages.  I look forward to growing as a writer. Thanks again for the encouragement. Randy is so right - as a "newbie" I am "anxious" for some feedback.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for making my point for me, summerberrie, I used to wait impatiently for mine to show up too!  Welcome to HP!  Watch out for snakes, and snarks too!  smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

summerberrie, I'm following you now too. It looks like your hubs will be interesting.

1. profile image0

Whoo,Hoo! Yea, thanks! It might appear I am as clever as Randy!

3. kittyjj profile image68
      kittyjjposted 12 years ago

I am also new and still finding my way around here.  Thank you Randy for sharing this tip.  smile

4. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Welcome to Summerberrie, Kitty, and any other new Hubbers!

Pretty observant, Randy Godwin. With a little luck, you may have the weekend all to yourself.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the welcome Website Examner and hi kittyj

If you guys are that clever here then ...I’m doomed. I think I might have lost all my followers anyway-I just hit the share button by an accident. Also I published a hub on Limerick which my husband said was corny. Oh, well. I’m doomed regardless of Randy’s cleverness.

5. Billy6507 profile image60
      Billy6507posted 12 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I am a newbie

6. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

I have always tried to publish on Fridays for this reason.  Weekend traffic is usually slow, I thought that if I published on Friday my hub would be indexed by the search engines by Monday when search engine traffic increases.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I have more free time on the weekend to read hubs and write. I usually hit publish when the hub is done, and lately that has been on a Sunday. I don't check latest hubs to see if my hub is there. I figure my followers that want to read it will, but my focus is out there ---------> 

Are the people who are here all day during the week working??
      I would be more inclined to read a new hub on a weekend or in the evening.

8. Marion Elodie profile image61
      Marion Elodieposted 12 years ago

I have published only one hub so far and didn't really have time to do much more, but I'll try and remember it next time I post something. Weekend or not, I don't have any follower so far so that won't change much I think smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Followers will be notified regardless of when you publish. The issue was with "latest hubs," visible to everyone on the site.

1. Marion Elodie profile image61
          Marion Elodieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right. My comment looks a bit confused and confusing, but I got it now.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No problem. Things can get a bit confusing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)