What's the world coming too....the end.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

I went to see the new X Men Movie, I grew up with and was a huge fan of the franchise. I got 2/3 of the way through the movie and at the big climax where Wolverine meet his brother Wolverine says "I cut you G** D*** head off" I was taking aback. It seems so unnecessary and rude I had to leave. Why is it that God is the only name used as a swear word, Have you ever anyone say "blank blank Allah" or "blank blank Buddha" No! Why? Is God hated so much? What happened to respecting other peoples faiths I guess that means every faith, but Christianity. I may not be a Muslim or a Buddhist, but I'd never curse their God, never.

1. workathomemom profile image59
      workathomemomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you for pointing this out.  One of the ten commandments states: "You shall not use or repeat the name of the LORD your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." - Amplified Bible

"You shall not utter the name of Yahweh your God to misuse it, Yahweh will not leave unpunished the man who utters his name to misuse it." - The Jerusalem Bible

It's not necessary to add anything else.

1. Frank4YAHWEH profile image61
        Frank4YAHWEHposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's the world coming to? Look where it has already been!

Actually 'God' is not a name but a mere title that can refer to any deity, and Allah included.

The tanslator's chose to follow the tradition of the Jews in substituting our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name for inferior names/titles such as Adonai, Elohim, etc., and in time with the Hebrew word Ha Shem that simply means 'The Name'. The four Hebrew characters that spell our Heavenly Father and Cretaor's Name is commonly refered to by the Greek word tetragrammaton which means 'four letter word or name'. Is it not ironic how our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name became a "four-lettered-word" of ill repute?

"You shall not utter the name of Yahweh your God to misuse it, Yahweh will not leave unpunished the man who utters his name to misuse it." - The Jerusalem Bible

The Jews believe it is wrong to "utter" our Heavenly Father and Creator's Name. The Catholic Church has decided just lately to nor longer use His Name in hymn and or even "utter" it. The Jerusalem Bible as quoted above is in fact a Catholic publication and translation.

If we examine this verse in the Hebrew text that the King James Bible was translated from, we would not find "The LORD" or any word that carries such a meaning. What is actually there is the Heavenly Father's true Name, "Yahweh". I believe it is important to consider whether or not this tradition is something the Heavenly Father would desire us to follow.

Let's take a moment and look at the Webster's dictionary definition of the word "vain":

vain 1. Having no real substance, value, or importance; empty; void; worthless; unsatisfying. ``Thy vain excuse.'' ... 2. Destitute of forge or efficacy; effecting no purpose; fruitless; ineffectual; as, vain toil; a vain attempt. ...

Considering the meaning of the word 'vain', what greater way to bring Yahweh's Name to emptiness,  worthlessness, and having no real substance, value or purpose than to remove His name altogether from Scripture and substitute it with a title of our own choosing?

Those who have chosen to practice this are doing just that. This practice is so widespread and so complete that few people even know the Heavenly Father has a personal Name. Yahweh chose to place His name in scripture nearly 7,000 times. And each one of those 7,000 times it is replaced with a title (such as "The LORD") in 99% of all translations. In fact, in most translations the third commandment (as written) is a transgression of itself! Why? Because the third commandment forbids bringing His name to nothing, yet most translations do just that.

To further demonstrate this point, let's look at the Hebrew word that is translated "vain" in this verse.

Deuteronomy 5:11 (KJV) Thou shalt not take the name of Yahweh thy Almighty One in vain <7723>: for Yahweh will not hold [him] guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

The number after the word "vain" in this passage refers to Strong's word #7723 in the Hebrew Lexicon. This same Hebrew word (#7723 'Shav') can also be found in another commandment just a few verses later. But in this instance, it is translated differently:
        Deuteronomy 5:20 (KJV) Neither shalt thou bear false <7723> witness against thy neighbour.

Here we have the same Hebrew word <7723> translated "false." Might this shed light on the third commandment as well? We know that to say that the Name of the Heavenly Father is "The LORD" is actually a false statement. Most translations are full of false statements. For instance, the King James Version reads:
        Isaiah 42:8 - I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. 

The above is not a true statement. His name is not "the LORD". His name is Yahweh. "The LORD" is not a translation of the original, it is a substitution of the original. The translators did not translate, they purposely substituted the true name of the Heavenly Father for something else so that they could follow their tradition. It should instead read:

Isaiah 42:8 (RNKJV) I am Yahweh: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. 

So if we want to keep the ten commandments, we should never replace Yahweh's Name with a false name or title of our own choosing. Doing so would be breaking the third commandment. This is not the only way to break the third commandment, but we can see that it is certainly one way of doing so. We are not supposed to add or take away from the scriptures. But in doing this, man has chosen to both add and take away. 
        Yahweh considered it important enough to include something about His name in the Ten Commandments. He considered it important enough to include a warning that we would not be held "guiltless" if we choose to break it. Therefore, in spite of what others may think, let's keep His commandments by restoring what Yahweh placed there originally. Let's set aside vain tradition and walk in the original truth of Yahweh... just as He inspired it.

1. Make  Money profile image66
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Tetragrammaton is actually YHWH.  So how would you pronounce that?

To pronounce YHWH by adding vowels to make Yahweh, Jahweh, Yehovah or Jehovah are all incorrect.  Because the Jews have believed it is wrong to utter our Heavenly Father's name we have actually lost the correct pronunciation of His name.

This is a quote from the wikipedia on Yahweh

This web site explains why there will be No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses in the future.  Here's a quote from it.

As far as I am concerned the Vatican is again being to 'ecumenical'.

As a Catholic I like the name Yahweh because that is what I grew up recognizing the name of God the Father to be.  I very much like the hymn "Yahweh, I know you are near."  But I can not be certain that Yahweh is the correct pronunciation.       

Rev 14:3 says "And they sung as it were a new canticle, before the throne, and before the four living creatures, and the ancients; and no man could say the canticle, but those hundred forty-four thousand, who were purchased from the earth."

It is possible that "no man could say the canticle" except for the 144,000 because God the Father's correct name has been lost to history.  What do you think?

The Bible says we are to be one body in Christ so I am serious when I ask you what you think?

2. lxxy profile image60
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very simple. Christianity is one of the most popular religions in the world. So they're going to say your God's name and use it in vain. You can close your ears, you can whine about it, but all you must really do is try and ignore it.

Many may find it offensive, many may not care. And it's a movie targeted at a specific demographic which is used to curse words.

2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I was watching a show yesterday and the girl said "A$$" and they bleeped out the "hole" part. That was backwards.

1. Colebabie profile image59
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's because ass isn't a curse word, but @$$hole is. It's seen that way by most networks.
      My favorite curse is son of a b#$*#! I don't mean disrespect to anyone's mother, it's just fun to say. As far as using God to curse, it's just something that has been done before, saying God damn it! Is like telling God to damn whatever has just happened. It doesn't offend me, but I suppose it could offend some. I

3. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

I guess if God had never damned anything, then "God damned" would not have any badness associated with it, and therefore wouldn't be a swear word.

Jenny

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too funny, Jenny, and so true! God did damn a whole lotta stuff now, didn't she?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Just a word...Buddhists do not consider Buddha to be a God.

And whatever...it's different names for the same thing...they all worship to the same God...

G**Damn is a common expletive in the West.

5. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

All I'm gonna say is , Spiderpam, if you're gonna bail a theatre everytime you hear a curse word. You'll sure be bailing out of a lot of good movies.

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a very good point, but it is a shame there is so much bad language, it is often unecessary, and even people that do curse a lot find it over the top sometimes......

2. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some swear words are really just words I try my best to avoid saying them, but it's the blasphemy where I have draw the line.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
        Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What exactly is blasphmy?  Seriously, what is it and what does it do and to whom?

6. Curious Traveller profile image69
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

I appreciate your point and never condone blasphemy but I am a great believer that words are simply words. People's capacity to be "hurt" by words is what has led to all this politically correct nonsense that is poisoning the planet with its "thought police," essentially fascist outlook on life.

Two old sayings spring immediately to mind:

"Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."

"Say what you mean and mean what you say."

Or, if you prefer me to sing...(!?)

"It's only words, and words are all I have..."

smile

7. curiozities profile image61
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

Spiderpam, as curious traveller notes, it's political correctness run amok.  It's not okay to make fun of anybody, unless they're Christian (and to a lesser degree these days, Jewish). Not that I condone making fun of other people but it should be equal for everybody.  Either it should be okay to make fun of everybody, or not okay to make fun of anyone. 

Oh, and I applaud you standing up for what you believe in and leaving the theater.

8. lbtrader profile image60
    lbtraderposted 14 years ago

The only king you say?

What about this one. Someone told me the F word is an acronym for

Fornication under consent of the king.

Which kind of makes sense if you believe in the powers of the old kings such as was presented in Braveheart with Mel Gibson.

It's when the kings court comes a calling for Wallace's to be bride and he tries to interrupt the coitus and she gets killed that the #$$$ hits the fan.

So more than one king is the object of curses.

You are simply struck with a mild case of tunnel vision perhaps..

just my opinion

9. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

It is by words that every being works when he works by faith, God said let there be light and there was light, Joshua spoke and the great lights in heaven stood still, Elija commanded and the heavens were closed for three years and there was no rain for that space. all this was done by faith, and works by words, which by its mightiest works have been and will be performed.
    Words are sacred and must be spoken with care and much constraint by the spirit.

A line in the apocrapha states on the seriousness of harsh words; the stroke of the whip maketh marks in the flesh, but the stroke of the tongue breaketh bones.

1. workathomemom profile image59
      workathomemomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well stated words of wisdom.

10. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The Spanish have the curse to end all curses:
    "me cago en la leche de la puta que te date la luz"
    And it doesn't mention god at all!

11. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

I looked up the word Blaspemy and it was interesting to note that it's use was in the 13th century.  It is saying something against a ruler of sorts--so in that light Jesus could have been the ne who blasphemied against the Roman Rule--therefore they had every right to kill him like they did.  Now being that this was only done from the 13th century onwards--who and what was that purpose--and the Bible was written long before this word was devised.
    Think people!  How does the Tower of Bable fit into this and also differnet languages have different meanings for the same words.

12. Miss Pink profile image60
    Miss Pinkposted 14 years ago

I agree with you spiderpam but maybe you took it too seriously. I'm sure the makers didn't intend to hurt someone's feelings. It's just a terminology, albeit an insensitive one.

13. Miss Pink profile image60
    Miss Pinkposted 14 years ago

And yeah, with all the stuff that is going on in the world nowadays, I think it IS coming to an end. Sigh.

14. Lady Guinevere profile image67

What if it isn't the end?  What are you going to do then?

15. Lady Guinevere profile image67

God has other names.  Which one would you be using in Vain, his real name or just the general name of "GOD"?

16. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The end of the world was probably predicted the first time as soon as homo sapiens began to speak.
    Every loony religion has been predicting the end ever since.
    How many times can the date be reset before even the believers in a skye fairy get sceptical!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)