Your help is needed asap

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

I just learned that the DEA has changed the classification of Hydrocodone that is, for various reasons, making it almost impossible to get.  Although the intent for doing this was to save lives, the result is that bona fide patients who need this drug to alleviate serious pain caused by ongoing health problems cannot get it.  If you live in the US I urge you to do some research on this subject and then write to your legislators to see if there is not some way they can lessen the devastating impact of the new laws.  What they have done is to make an attempt to stop the bad guys from abusing this medication at the expense of keeping the good guys who really need it from obtaining it.  I know, because I was given a script for it and cannot find one pharmacy in my local area that has it in stock!   I do not need this med all the time, but like to keep some on hand for break through pain.  However, I have friends who do need it every single day for problems such as cancer, post surgical pain, fibromyalgia, advanced stage arthritis and other serious illnesses.  Please...do this.  If your congressmen and senators get enough phone calls, emails and letters the pressure will force them to reconsider the harm they are causing to many innocent people.  You may not be one of them today, but you are only one accident or illness away from becoming one.  Search the issue by typing "DEA Hydrocodone" into Google's search engine and find the DEA's rulings and how they refused to listen to doctors, patients and others and passed this law anyhow.  Thanks.

2. Samantha Sinclair profile image54
    Samantha Sinclairposted 9 years ago

I have dealt with a few pain meds being no longer available due to people abusing them. It sucks. At this rate, by the time I'm 60, all pain meds will be prohibited.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

There is some hope that this shortage is at least partly because product was pulled for re-labeling, but it will get back in the supply chain.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you do the research you will see that companies are purposely limiting supplies for various reasons.  Right now I have a scrip and not one pharmacy in my local area has one.  Furthermore, to get one, I have to keep going back again and again to see if they do, and then I might only be able to get a partial amount.  When this happens, the scrip is dead and you have to see a doctor to get another one...and most doctors will not write another one  because amounts are limited to 30 caps per scrip and you can only get 5 scrips per year.  Some pharmacies have set ratios and tell you that if you do not purchase 120 pills of some other med, they will not fill the Hydrocodone even if they do have it!  And try to get a pharmacy you have never dealt with to fill it...like if you are out of town and get sick, etc!

The government has set up a horrible quagmire and the only way to get things to change is for people to contact their federal legislators. If enough people complain, they will make changes.  If not, they will not.  The DEA has set such tight rules that people who really need these medications will not always be able to get them.

If you have ever suffered severe pain, you understand.  If not, you will find explanations and wish for changes...but if it is YOU or your parents, grandparents, siblings and other loved ones, you will change your mind in a hurry.  With this post I am trying to get the word out with the hopes that people will respond asap.

The irony is that the abusers are now bypassing Hydrocodone and switching their addictions to Heroine, which is cheaper and easier for them to get on the black market...so if the Feds think this law is going to cut down on the abuses, they are sorely mistaken.

It is a very scary situation and people are suffering and dying as a result.  Please help me get the word out and please follow through with those contacts.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Part of the problem is caused by physicians.  I worked for one who handed prescriptions for amounts that would kill a horse, like candy. He was 85 years-old. He had a little side business going.  Patients got scripts, sold pills, he got a cut.  They made their drug deals using his office phone.  Drug stores stopped carrying them because people stopped robbing the stores for the money, they were robbing them for the drugs.

I am well aware of the types of things that caused this law to go into effect, but the government should not throw the baby out with the bath water!  They are punishing those suffering in the name of catching people like the one you wrote about.  Surely there is a better way to deal with this situation!

5. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

We had so many "pill mills" in Florida for a while.  People would travel here to get pills, then resell them in their towns.  After several people died from overdosing, a few doctors were prosecuted for giving the pills out, and a couple are now jailed.
    I understand the problem you mention.  I have a daughter who has fibromyalgia  (sp), and relies on medication for pain relief.

Florida just voted down a new law that would allow medical marijuana to be sold.  I was surprised at that.

mary615:  the reason that law was voted down is that it was poorly written and had too many loopholes that would have promoted criminal use of Marijuana.  Hopefully they will make appropriate changes and get it passed.  I also live in Florida and because so many elderly live here, they will be the ones who suffer the most if something is not done about this.

6. littlething profile image96
    littlethingposted 9 years ago

This is a shame. Some people do need these drugs, esp. for post surgical pain If you want, you can make this into a petition on Change.org. I don't know if it costs anything (I don't think it does, but I'm not sure.) but a lot of people have been successful using that site. That way, you can get a lot more coverage, and a lot more people signing and writing!

Thanks...I'll check that out.  However, I feel the only way to get a change is to really hit the politicians hard with complaints on a one to one basis...petitions are too easy and internet petitions can be fraudulent.  Many politicians are not happy about this, either, so it should not be too hard to get some of them to take further action.

7. My Bell profile image95
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

As someone that use to be in horrific chronic pain (Trigeminal Neuralgia - known as the worst pain known to "man" and the "suicide disease"), I strongly disagree with the DEAs classification. Very heavy doses of anti-convulsants controlled most of my pain most of the time but I had horrible breakthrough pain and I had to sometimes take Hydrocodone just to get through the day. It didn't eliminate the pain but it helped. I used it sparingly because, honestly, the drug scared me but I don't know what I would have done with out it. I had brain surgery a year ago that did fix the problem so I'm no longer in pain or on any medicine but I have the deepest empathy for anyone in pain as I've walked in their shoes. It affects every aspect of your life and you need an arsenal of "band aids" or solutions, including Hydrocodone, to get you through the hour, day, week, month or even minutes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)