Live Chat

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

I think it would be nice for Hub Pages to have a Live Chat feature on our site for hub writers to get direct assistance when they are really frustrated, confused, or stuck. At least one other writing site that I  know of has it, and it's really nice. It's amazing what a little timely morale support can do!

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all!

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like an interesting idea.  I know I have a couple of friends on Facebook from HP but I have never had the courage yet to chat to them, or even type to them on that forum.  I might do it though here if the subject matter were related to writing, such as this.  Perhaps a suggestion for new features!
      Best wishes to you to Marie.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That does sound good Marie but what is to stop certain users from calling the 'Live Chat help' for the wrong reasons. This may be a little far out as an example, but such as people who call 911 about barking dogs being pests. They are tying up the phone lines for those who actually need it for important issues.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes, i would like to have a live chat forum too, chat anything under the sun

4. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People complain we don't even have decent moderation coverage.  How is this Live Chat going to be staffed when the company seems to have capped itself at 15 employees who take days to respond to huge problems already?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

The computer could do it with filters.

1. relache profile image72

If computer filters can't moderate these static forums, they can't moderate situations and abuses in live chat.

Perhaps they could separate the comments/chats to certain staff members to lighten the load on each member.

1. relache profile image72

There are 15 staff members (only some are the moderators) and over 83,000 site users.

5. Stove And Home profile image93
      Stove And Homeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To the original poster, this is not meant as a snarky reply to you, just what I think the idea would result in.

A live chat here might be nice in an ideal world, but I doubt the HP staff really wants to deal with thousands of people inundating them for things they the writers could probably find out by poring over the guidelines already listed on this site.

Like, "How come I am not approved for AdSense," or "Why are my hubs not published?" (meanwhile they can't write an English sentence to save their life).

2. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

I must say I did wonder if the idea of live chat would be between writers rather than from hub staff members.  The idea perhaps that followers or people you follow you might be able to help each other could work.  They would be visible much like they are on facebook or skype.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't see the point.  The staff is too small and overworked to handle a life chat on their end, and we already help one another in the forums as well as through private emails.  I have never felt like I did not get enough advice and help here and do not think a live chat would make any real difference.  The staff has always responded to tech questions I have had, and I feel they will continue to do so.

2. relache profile image72

And how do you have this live chat between followers, and then moderate all the arguments, abuses and misuses that come with a live chat system?  Do those of you advocating for live chat actually comprehend what that entails?

Having live chat would be one of the lowest-value-added moves this site could take at this time.  I think resources are better allocated towards features and functions that truly improve traffic and/or earnings across the entire site.

3. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't like that idea at all, unless there's a way to opt out of being visible.  If I'm here writing, or participating on Q&A or something, perhaps I don't want just anyone who follows me knowing when I'm on and being able to message me.  Is that just me? I know I tend towards being a bit antisocial lol smile - but I think that a lot of people might have pause with that, simply because we don't get to choose who follows us and you never know.  I think it could open the doors to abuse.

They could place 'opt out' in Profile as usual.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I would prefer not to have a chat function between Hubbers. That is, it's fine if other people have that option, but I would disable mine.  I don't want people to know exactly when I am on the site, and I don't want to be interrupted when I am busy reading or writing a hub.

It would be nice to have a chat function with the team, but that would mean they would have to schedule the time to be available when someone happens to have a question.  The work I do here isn't urgent, so I have no problems waiting for a response from an email.

What if they put in an option in the profile to opt in or out?

2. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have to say that after some thought I agree with Millionaire Tips, sometimes it can be difficult enough to find time to finish what you are doing online without interruptions.

4. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

Thank all of you for responding. The type of chat I had in mind was not the kind that's on Face Book. The actual chat I saw was on Book Country, where peers review each others eBooks; however, writers don't chat with each other when doing this. The live chat was directly connected to a staff member, who only answered if available. My situation was a technical one because I couldn't submit a lengthy review I had just finished. I was fortunate to get a staffer on chat, and that person offered a helpful suggestion that I hadn't tried (I had lost an entire review on a previous occasion). She  alleviated the frustration and fear I was feeling. I really appreciated the support.

There are kinds of writers at Hub Pages. I just thought if someone were available during those times of stress that a writer would feel better supported and more apt to stay.

Personally, I can't imagine someone truly wanting help and getting abusive toward a staffer. If that happened, of course, the staffer would simply end the chat.

Overworked? No matter how much work there is, basically only one thing gets done at a time. Stress management is an art.

So, anyway, it was an idea. I realize that most ideas posed to the Hub Pages team and owner do not become implemented.

Having exhausted my explanation, I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a glorious, fruitful New Year!

That is different Marie but are there not live chats on the sites which the eBooks came from? If there are, then why add another one at this end? If this was done then having the staff only answer when available is a great idea. Maybe it is useful in some way. When the staff reads this, they will decide whether they want to use your idea in some way.
      Merry Christmas and Happy New years!

1. Marie Flint profile image72
        Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Examiner, for this comment and well wishes.

I  know I would personally feel a little more connected here with Live Chat, but I may very well find a new way of connecting to Hub Pages in 2015. ~~~

Maybe it will be a New Years present for you, you never know!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)