Q&A Section of HP Needs Updating!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

Whenever I look at the Q&A "explore answers" section, I see questions that are still there after five years or more. Sometimes the questions are extremely stagnant and inactive.
    I think it would be a good idea to auto delete questions that are over a year old on an ongoing basis just to keep this section of HP fresh.
    Any other ideas about this section?
    Thanks,
    Lela

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that, too, Lela - I think it's set up to find related topics in the system, and some an ancient.  I realize that means some readers might click on them and add to their time on the site, but it can also be off-putting to see something that old.

Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I never go to the forums though as we can't earn anything from them and they seem to be some kind of battleground.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think a year is too short of a time.  It might be a good idea to delete questions that have not been commented on in several years.

Yes! They should certainly delete those questions with no answers at all. Personally, I think they should delete questions that are 'spammy' too. A lot of non-english speakers try to post questions in the Q&A too.
        And when someone's account here goes inactive, they should delete everything by that person.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

if you look at unanswered section, wow, long list i must say

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Those would be easy to delete.  If people aren't interested in answering them, they aren't worth staying on the site.

4. KU37 profile image66
      KU37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

One other consideration is that some of the old material could be considered offensive to some small minority of readers.  I don't think that is a naive consideration in light of recent events.  Many traditional media are now taking a closer look at the way they edit the news, partly out of "political correctness", whatever that might mean, but also out of concern for the safety of their employees.  Unfortunately, that is the new reality in terms of being responsible in public speaking.  If HubPages were to remove old questions from Q&A as you suggested, that would also be a small way of showing some concern for the safety of their employees.  Also, I think if they were planning on deleting a question, they should first make an attempt to notify the asker in advance, so the asker can update the question to avoid the potential loss of AdSense income.

The revenue from AdSense in the Q&A section is minimal compared to the Hub section. HP is really about Hubs more than anything else. It HP totally eliminated the Q&A section, it would hardly be noticeable to the writers here in terms of revenue.

1. KU37 profile image66

Speaking for myself, I'm not concerned with revenue.  But paradigmsearch voiced an objection based on that.  The distinction I'm concerned with is un-moderated speech vs. moderated speech.  I think the person asking a question in Q&A can upload an image, I don't know if others are able to.  If nobody is moderating Q&A, is HubPages counting on users to report a potentially offensive or dangerous image?

Yes, I do believe that HP doesn't allocate a staff person to moderate the Q&A section, although that may change.
            And anyone can upload any photo they want to to Q&A at any time. You may also upload photos in the forums here. There is a small camera icon on the lower right of the text section. Click on it to upload photos.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12123778_f248.jpg

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

This is the same problem as exists in the forums, except it's worse in the forums because really out-dated writing or account management advice comes up, and literally the site is giving new users the worst possible advice.

Maybe they should have a section marked 'old content' and move stuff there. It would still be searchable, but inactive for new postings.

1. Dressage Husband profile image68
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree they definitely need to move the old stuff to some kind of archive that is labelled as such. Otherwise it is counting as junk and devaluing the current content.

2. KU37 profile image66

Is there some way to "protect" content (I'm thinking of 'old content', but it could be any content) from being altered or removed without notifying the original Hubber?  Here is where I'm coming from:  I would prefer there to be some kind of community discussion before HubPages decided to remove any "old" content for political reasons.  I'm imagining HP going back and censoring old content to suit new stricter norms of free speech or new interpretations of their guidelines.

3. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I think they should be deleted after a year. When I was new, I was answering some of them until  I realized they were asked years ago.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Leave my old Questions alone!!! Some of those puppies get organic views daily and every once in awhile a present from AdSense shows up. smile

LOL! They must be very good questions then!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to use them for hub ideas. smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some questions are evergreen.  And some questions still apply to people who are still using old technology, etc. 

There are questions that should be deleted because they are outdated, and the information is no longer accurate, but deleting them by date won't work.

5. Austinstar profile image84

Well, since HP doesn't have the staff to moderated the Q&A, they sort of depend on us to do it, But I think it can be done automatically by date and anything that is over five years old is considered ancient in the online world, so that could be a reasonable cutoff.
    If the originator of the question is still making money from it (ie - still gets views and answers), they should update the question before it is deleted. The Q&A should be fresh and constantly updated.
    Maybe change the stellar questions into hubs that last forever?

6. Austinstar profile image84

I have just deleted all of my Q&A that were over four years old. I think we need to clean up our own hubs and questions and not wait for or depend on HP to do it. This is our account after all.
    We already delete old hubs, broken links and stuff like that, so I'm assuming that we need to maintain all of our work here!

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

What is the speed of dark?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Yep, I'd of posted it as a Question, but I've already ascertained it would never get any organic traffic. Oh, well.

Did you write a hub on that one? I read somewhere that dark doesn't actually exist. Too much space between lights I think.
      But don't we all want to solve the physics of the universe?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)