The advancing crown fire on HubPages.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

All HP staff are between a rock and a hard place right now it seems, and trying to climb out of a disastrous event and save the site. 

Everyone loses when offenses start operating and putting out little ground fires takes precious time away from the advancing crown fire.  We need plenty of fire retardant and working together. 

Devastating events are devastating and each person has their own view and the closer to home it comes, the more easily offended.  Its hard to move on from how awful it is on a personal basis to see the possibility of a common good. 

Even the best author or editor may make errors or be perceived to. 
    It seems like life and death online and HP is going for life. 
    HP may make some errors along the way and some more folks may leave.   

All is not yet lost and hopefully those who disagree with decisions made will be able to recoup their perceived losses without personal attacks. Its hard though not to take things personally.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great commentary, colorfulone. I've been feeling this ugly fire for the last couple days with all that's going on (HubPro, ECs, etc) and it's not good for the writer atmosphere. I hope it burns out soon without too many more casualties. But it wrong stuff happens, it needs to be exposed and addressed. Whew! Rough times for our little community, huh? Peace.

2. lollyj lm profile image59
    lollyj lmposted 9 years ago

I'm in the dark about the problems you mentioned, colorfulone, but I hope they get resolved without too much difficulty.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

The personal attacks made on a Hub Staff member yesterday sickened me. HubPages is a good site. The Staff here have always acted in good faith.

1. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I think it's fine to offer constructive criticism and that this criticism was very necessary in the case in question. I don't think that the HP staff member should have been attacked, though.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch - I agree with you that having names named was an unfortunate thing, and I also agree that HP has always acted in good faith (from what I know).  The thread probably needed to happen, though, because the manner in which at least that one hub was edited should be examined. Is that really the way the site intended for the HubPro program to operate?  Are there other extremely modified hubs on the site now?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

<retracted>

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did wonder, when all of that was going on, whether this discussion was basically the result of one incident and the misunderstanding of one editor in terms of what was required.  I cannot speak to what is happening with HubPro because I do no participate in it, but if this whole thing is the result of what I just said, I think we need to tone things down a bit.  Clearly, more training is needed in some areas, but this is no reason to rip an entire program, that was set up to help people, to shreds.

1. Susana S profile image92
          Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more!

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Thank you, colorfulone for this thread and your message. It is very difficult for a lot of folks right now as well as the staff. Yet, if we all pull together I strongly feel we can put out these fires and go forward with renewed confidence and motivation to make HubPages a superior writing site.

Even if I disagree on some points, it is encouraging to see Paul Edmonds so involved in threads and communicating with those who have so many concerns. He strongly supports HubPro, yet is open to concerns and suggestions. I truly admire him for that.

And I admire hubbers who are able to express those concerns directly to Paul in mature and positive ways.

5. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Am glad you posted this. It is always helpful to think of how we can all get out of whatever fire there is rather than escalating it. I think it is part of a healthy community discussion to have some airing out.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Face it, wrong is wrong is wrong.  What was done to that hub, we all know about, was wrong, beyond wrong.  The HP procedures were apparently never followed.  The total rewrite of that hub, has been completed and has continued to be locked for weeks.

If people can be hired as editors without the credentials,  then I suggest those who want to do the flag waving, start sending a me next, me next,, I can't wait to have unqualified people destroy my work. 

We had flag wavers, happy dancers, at Squidoo too, but they got tossed along with everyone else.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I haven't read thoroughly the threads/hubs referred to, just browsed enough of both to see what was discussed.  I think valid points can be made without dragging people through the trenches. 

I hope that the future edits will be done according to the stated policy. 
    While I understand not spending valuable time on editing hubs that don't receive a lot of traffic, I hope that very careful consideration and current SEO knowledge is implemented while editing a high traffic hub.  Only after the author consents and agrees with the final edit should it be published.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on this, Rebekah Elle - especially your last sentence here.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I think it is a pretty small issue on the scale of all of Hubpages and all the people who write here.

9. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I guess that I missed all the excitement. smile I think we are all just trying to get by and it is indeed a trying time on the Internet at the moment. Things always settle down after a bit so I don't worry too much. Best just to keep plodding along doing whatever it is that you feel is best. If you panic and get too crazy it really does not help any situation out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)