Requesting advice on research based writing..

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. AVailuu profile image74
    AVailuuposted 9 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers!

I only have 10 minutes to write this request.

My hubs get very little traffic, and that's never bothered me because I know that my topics are for a selective audience.

I would love some feedback on my writing style so that I can reach a larger audience. My goal is to inform, not to bore!

Thank you!

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To get traffic on the Internet your are going to have to learn a little about search engine optimization.

There are some things in this post which might help you, especially in creating Titles and Summaries:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128946#post2711393

2. profile image0
      Sherry Thornburgposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I looked at one of your hubs and saw what others mentioned about citations. Hubs tend to follow web media formating rather than scientific formating, which you may have seen in science journals and are using for your style. 

Web media formating tend to use hyperlinks instead of citations and bibliographies. 

Example:

There are links between the rapid increase of antibiotic resistant bacteria and the misuse and abuse of antibiotics, allowing mutated strains to survive and reproduce.

Examples of the (overexposure of antibiotics) include:

Highlight the words I put in parenthesis and make a hyperlink to your source article.

Web media writers do this to keep the flow of reading easier for readers. Otherwise, some people will trip on the citations.  Hyperlinks let the reader choose if they want to see more in depth information.  I use them quite a bit in my articles to direct readers to business websites and professional sources. 

Also, my writing teachers over and over stated that journalist articles should always be written on a 6th grade level.  I grossed and fought about that.  How are you supposed to write an scientific article if the the proper names won't be familiar to a 6th grader?  I never got a clear answer, but that's the rule, so work with it and write for simplicity and clarity as much as you can. 

Sherry

AVailuuposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the advice Sherry, but a lot of the information I use isn't web based.  I can only hyperlink a couple of my references.

I do agree with simplifying the context, especially in a specialized field. Often times these specialities speak their own language.Unfortunately, I've become so familiar with academic writing that I have a difficult time with adapting my papers to the needs of a general audience.

Thank you for taking your time to analyze and review my work!

Ashley

1. profile image0
          Sherry Thornburgposted 9 years agoin reply to this

check around on academic search engines. Many scientific research papers, review studies and journal articles are being posted on the web.  This is a link to an article listing several. You might be surprised to find yours this way.

emergingedtech.com/2013/12/top-11-trusted-and-free-search-engines-for-scientific-and-academic-research/

Sherry

Thank you!I'll probably stick with text based sources for the most part, but I never shun free resources! I changed my format from APA to something a little more internet friendly (a numbering system), hopefully that helps.

1. flycatcherrr profile image67
              flycatcherrrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good call, to go with the numbered footnotes.

2. RonElFran profile image95
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

I found your hub informative and well written. But I almost didn't read beyond the first sentence because I stumbled over your citations (ASMacademy, 2014). My first reaction was that this is an academic paper written for people who have a more in-depth interest in the subject than I have. If not for your request for feedback, I would have stopped reading right there.

I offer this as just my personal reaction. Actually, once I read your content, I appreciated the fact that you demonstrated that you had sources for your statements. So, there is certainly nothing wrong with providing source citations. But at the same time, there will probably be other readers who, like myself, will think "this isn't written for me" when they encounter the citations.

I think one reason for my reaction is that the first citation was placed at the very beginning of the article. I hit it before you had a chance to get me intrigued with the info you wanted to share. Maybe the answer is to be sure to have a more in-depth introduction that gets the reader hooked before you hit them with your source citations.

Thank you Ron, for spending your time to analyze my work and offer such thoughtful and insightful feedback! I hadn't considered how distracting the citations may be to causal readers. Perhaps if I change my format from APA to something  more inconspicuous, readers will feel more comfortable and relatable to the information in my hubs.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Hi AVailuu,
    One way to approach hubs with technical content is to write with students in mind; present the information as it might be useful to college students studying for exams or trying to solve homework problems, problem/solution formats.  A lot of the audience is people still in school.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

In text citing with superscripts might be less intrusive to those who just want the info and are less interested in the sources.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)