Can the power of God be considered magic?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (309 posts)
  1. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Nope!
    Whilst searching my mind frantically for the right piece to publish, I am a fly on a lot of walls here.
    When the idea of God being responsible for magic came up, I thought it'd be a good time to jump in.
    When I came to post, I realized I've been missing out. Gotta adjust my filter, I guess.
    However, the power of God is true/truth.
    Magic is a lie; a slick deception; slight of hand; the complete opposite of truth.
    Summary:  The power of God/true force. Magic/tricks...

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No magic. God obviously just uses his innate poofing ability. It's very scientific, and follows a logical, self-consistent set of rules.

Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

He made the poofing rules popular. The world must take it to another level.
        Poofing is everywhere! Have you watched the Disney channel or Nickelodeon lately??? Darn near EVERY show has a "fake" poofer. So muchwwitchcraft being pumped into our LITTLE babies' brains with a cute little ditty to boot.
        No God... just poofing all over the place! I feel sad for our next-generation.

Luckily, I don't watch TV.

Smart... Don't start.

2. Michael-Milec profile image62
    Michael-Milecposted 9 years ago

Not at all. The creator of the universe has unlimited power of His word clear and meaningful .

Super poofing word power?

Super duper!!!  wink

2. profile image53
      mickyb1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is the truth.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

His word is magic.

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 9 years ago

I say the Power Puff girls puffed everything into existence. It is self-evident.

I think my daughter could possibly agree with you for a few moments. wink

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

"The power of God/true force."
    How does this power manifest as far as you can determine, Cgenaea?

5. Cgenaea profile image60

Well, I believe the power manifests in many ways. My every breath is attributable to an awesome power that I cannot understand. Automated for more than forty years; as much beating as my body has taken??? No batteries anywhere? Simply blows my mind. It's unequivocally God, to me. And that's just one... I could go on, and on, and on, etc., etc.

I see you only answer the easy questions

6. Cgenaea profile image60

Did I miss something?

I asked you if you would obey God if he told you to do something you thought was immoral.

7. Cgenaea profile image60

Oh, I did miss something. But we've had this conversation before. And I'm positive you will have a problem with the completeness of my answer and/or your inability to "corner" the Lord once I completely answer your question for the umpteenth time, but I'll try another time. (This aint biblical mountain slaying days no more. smile ) Lord did away with that stuff in the bible days. He wrote it down so we don't look like fools following the wrong junk. When he comes to question, I believe he'll play the very utterance of our denial right into our ears. We'll know that he heard our heart.
    If the Lord told me to do something that was immoral in MY eyes... I'd always run the other way. smile
    That is NOT my father's voice. He don't do that stuff no more. smile A person who claims the Lord made them harm an individual, is a liar. Plain and simple. People prefer the lie. But he lets us govern our own selves if we wont to...

Ok, maybe I did ask you before. But I have my reasons, I don't ask people these things for fun.

Thank you for answering.

8. Cgenaea profile image60

No problem. I like conversation.

Good. Because I'm having a rough night. Lot's of 11:11. Ideas of reference. Things have too much meaning that isn't there.

9. Cgenaea profile image60

I see...

Sorry. It happens. I just take more meds.

I always seem to get religious though, that's how I know.

Just flew right over my head again... smile I have no idea what you're getting religious about, what made it happen, or why it calls for meds... but hey! That's your business.
        Any more questions, I'm here.

Well, if God talks to me, I have to assume I'm going psychotic. Because God doesn't talk to people, right?

10. Cgenaea profile image60

He does. But others do too. You must try the spirit to see if it is of God. God's voice is evident in scripture.

So what do I do? Just open to a random page and see what it says?

11. Cgenaea profile image60

Heck no! smile please don't EVER do that. Jesus is the perfect representation of God. Learn of him... once you get to understand who he was/is, it is much easier to KNOW his voice.

I'm a music buff. And i am totally enamored by the lyrics of Stevie Wonder. I feel that not many, reach his level of beautifully stringing unusual words and practically using metaphor. I KNOW he did not write. 50 cent's In Da Club... just NOT Stevie's voice.
    Wanna hear God... listen to Jesus.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I agree, Cgenaea. On a certain level, you just open your mind, heart and soul by being open to the greater reality that exists beyond the senses.
    Its called tuning inward to heaven within. The kingdom of God is within. It's what we are. Jesus is there too. And all the saints of all religions. We are all one in essence, after-all.
    TWISI

I try to see it like the bible sees it. Inside of the flesh of man, there's filth. It is God, asked/invited in, that makes the difference. The acknowledgement that Jesus is the only way to the father. Many of us, don't believe that. Our story sounds better... Listen,  "We are all God's children. " sounds a bit sweeter than the truth that many more of us are not...

Our outlooks are 180...
        and that is okay.
        We do agree that God is reality, not magical in the way of trickery.

13. Cgenaea profile image60

I'm glad we agree somewhere. It makes for harmony as we converse. But 180 seems well ever say different things.
    I believe the bible, how else can I come to know Jesus? If we believe that part, and do not believe the rest, we could be accused of cherry-picking. Or even worse, lukewarm.  So, I am not "okay" with scriptural err.
    If you ever see that I am scripturally astray, please let me know.
    Jesus was a man with emotions. He got angry when his own house molested the scriptural instructions.

"molested" is a pretty grim word. Not really appropriate in my opinion. Whose scriptural instructions were being ignored? What were they?

"And all the saints of all religions. We are all one in essence, after-all."

"No man shall come unto the father, but by me." -Jesus

Does sound 180. Not all religions call upon the name of Jesus as the savior.
        I hate that molest is inappropriate. Maybe twist is less offensive?
        I don't mean to offend. The scripture is too important to not get right.
        TWISI... life or death.
        Jesus said one thing... I'd rather not be caught saying different. He sent a whole spirit to remind us of what he said. He said with his mouth that not all are his. We cannot say they are.
        Respectfully and with the best intentions, I give TWISI. What Jesus said, trumps everyone else. He knows the whole picture and we only see through a glass darkly. We don't know why he said follow me. But we do know that there's only room enough for one spirit in heaven.
        So, all who call on (which forces belief and total trust/faith in, then forcing total backing of what he said) Jesus, will be...
        His people say what he said.

What is the most important message you would like to impart to us as far as "reality" ?

Good question. May take quite a bit of thought.
            I'll get back to you.

14. Lucid Psyche profile image59
    Lucid Psycheposted 9 years ago

Magic, within the context of this discussion, could be said to consist of the universe beginning to exist for no reason, without a cause, and from nothing. This is the position atheists have had to take since cosmic background radiation from  "the Big Bang" proved that the universe BEGAN to exist. Atheists strongly advocated for an eternal universe (and some still do!) because they understood that if the universe began it had to have a sufficient cause. That cause being greater than the universe itself can reasonably defined as God ... a cause must always be greater that the effect it produces.
    Magic, to my thinking would be if the universe began to exist without a cause.

Must be a ton of "cognitive dissonance" by now, for they who prefer magic. wink
      Give me God's power instead, any day...

1. Lucid Psyche profile image59
        Lucid Psycheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, well said.
        smile

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"a cause must always be greater that the effect it produces."

Uh huh.  And a few atoms being banged together is "greater" than the rearrangement of the entire city (and countryside) of Hiroshima. 

Or watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_feWtkSucvE where a 14" drill bit caused actions beyond belief, and the Atlantic ocean flowed uphill for two days while 11 barges, loaded with tractor trailers, disappeared down the drill hole. (worth a watch just for entertainment - it's pretty neat).

In fact of matter, causes are generally less than the results.

I think you might need to review some fundamentals. You can be certain that a cause is always of a higher order of energy and information than the effect it produces.

1. wilderness profile image95

So?  Did you watch the video?  And sorry, but a few small chemical explosions are NOT in the same category as a nuke going off.  Unless you want to define the cause as Pearl Harbor rather than the setting charges used?

If the Principle of Causality is invalidated then philosophy and science, both of which necessarily are based on cause and effect are invalidated. There would be no rational method by which to assess the nature of reality or existence. The Law of Cause and Effect states that every material effect must have an adequate antecedent or simultaneous cause.  You still need to work on your fundamentals if you think that an effect can be greater than it's own cause.

3. janesix profile image59

The jury is still out on what was there before the big bang. There isn't enough evidence to decide what was going on. That's why there are multiple theories.

The jury (established science) has returned with a verdict that the universe began to exist and thus was caused. Since no natural realm (time, space, matter) existed we know that the cause was space less, timeless, and immaterial and sufficient to the existence of the universe. Those theories you mention are speculative and in no way detract from what is known from established science and correctly applied logic.  In fact in the case of multiple universes the need for an even greater cause is brought to the fore. Indeed, I believe that we probably exist in a multiverse (speculation) and if such is the case my awe of it's creator / cause is magnified even more.
        If atheists advocate for logic and science it should not be unreasonable to expect them to abide by discovery made under the auspices of naturalistic investigation. To my thinking this demonstrates that for committed atheists ideology comes first.

"The jury (established science) has returned with a verdict that the universe began to exist and thus was caused"

No it hasn't. There are other theories that are just as valid, with evidence to back them up.

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/sir- … -big-bang/

Tossed to and fro by every new development? Or, standing firmly on a solid foundation??? I'll take B please... and they soon must follow.

And when your belief has evidence to prove it's false? Then what do you do?

I haven't thought about that. Faith believes without seeing. I honestly don't feel like there IS an alternative.
                Make no mistake about it... they've come up with plenty of evidence to prove my belief false... but I don't believe it. wink

That's ok. Everyone has beliefs. Even if they don't admit it.

Scientists defend their beliefs tooth and nail. Why do you think progress is always so slow?

Ask the chicken with no head; better yet, a rat on his wheel... it's hard to get somewhere when you ditch the map and just start walking. Takes much longer...
                    The bible makes some serious scientific statements during a time when the world was thought to be stationary and flat... I'm downright impressed.

2. Lucid Psyche profile image59

"No it hasn't. There are other theories that are just as valid, with evidence to back them up ..."

I'm talking about established fact versus speculation. The "Big Bang" is an established scientific fact. The multiverse hypothesis doesn't rise to the scientific criteria of being a theory ... and for practical reasons for the purposes of this discussion it doesn't matter anyway.
            If you introduce an infinity of time in a physical system(s) you have to deal with entropy. Total entropy would have already been reached with an infinite past even if you posit a multiverse that spawns universes. An ultimate physical beginning is still a logical necessity.

The Big Bang is not an established fact.

And I mentioned nothing about multiverses.

"The Big Bang is not an established fact."
                Yes, the Big Bang IS established science.

"And I mentioned nothing about multiverses."
                Multiverses usually come up in this type of conversation. Atheists being the undying ideologues they are, are desperate to escape the facts and being familiar with their ploys caused me to anticipate. Apologies.

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-universe-b … scale.html

The Big Crunch is a plausible scientific theory. Which is more evidence towards a collapsing-expanding-collapsing universe.

The thing is, even the Big Bang is only a theory. Not an established "fact" as you are insisting. We have more than one theory, based on the same set of facts. The more facts we get (and we're getting more all the time) the easier it will be to narrow down what actually is going on, and what happened 14 billion years ago. As of yet, we can only see 300,000 years after the event. So there is plenty of speculation on every side as to what happened then.

2. profile image53

The big bang is only a theory, it can't be proved. We will all know the truth eventually.

2. janesix profile image59

"To my thinking this demonstrates that for committed atheists ideology comes first"

For some, yes.

Just like for some (if not most) theists, ideology comes first.

"For some, yes.

Just like for some (if not most) theists, ideology comes first"

True. That's why I base my beliefs on science and correctly applied logic.

2. Cgenaea profile image60

Sounds like magic to ME wink
        On the other hand, I KNOW what caused MY bang.
        Lol..

Only if you think the universe came from "nothing", which I don't believe is the case.

As long as there IS a scientific theory that there was something before the big bang (like Penrose' rebounding universe theory), then I can safely believe it is more likely to be true.

Even those who believe that there was one beginning, like Krauss, he still doesn't think there was absolutely nothing before.

Who's report will you believe next??? They're getting more and more convincing these days. I bet the best theory yet, will come from a man still in his father's drawers. smile
            We're getting "wiser" and "WISER" ya know...

"We're getting "wiser" and "WISER" ya know..."

According to an article I read recently, atheism is on the decrease worldwide. Perhaps we are getting wiser and wiser overall. Nice thought.
              Great thread btw.
              smile

Thanks! smile
                We grow in knowledge. But knowledge of what??? A lie, no matter HOW intricate and well-proven, is still a lie.
                I really believe what the bible says.

What lie?

Please don't tell me you think scientifically proven facts are lies. I would like to specifically which ones you are talking about. Please please please tell me I'm just making a silly assumption about what you believe.

There is not enough evidence of God is a straight-up lie. As we've seen here, Science unfounded, is still given some weight. Have you noticed? They say, "Well, we haven't worked out all the kinks on evolution, but that is the BEST thing we've got, next to sliced bread..." I say, God has not given us all his secrets. (That's biblical too) and I STILL believe he out-trumps sliced bread. wink
                    Oh to be kept by Him... amazing stuff!

Again. If you introduce an infinity of time in a physical system(s) you have to deal with entropy. Total entropy would have already been reached with an infinite past even if you posit a multiverse that spawns universes. An ultimate physical beginning is still a logical necessity.

"Even those who believe that there was one beginning, like Krauss, he still doesn't think there was absolutely nothing before."

There obviously had to be a cause (not nothing). Krauss just can't accept the obvious conclusion of the nature of that cause on purely ideological grounds.

1. wilderness profile image95

It's always so easy to make such statements as there had to be a beginning when the statement is supported by nothing but opinion.  If, for instance, the recurring Big Bang theory is correct, an infinity of time is a definite possibility and entropy is "reset" every time the BB occurs. 

The result is that is what is "obvious" to one is not obvious at all to another, and evidence beyond merely saying it is obvious is badly needed to support such statements.

"It's always so easy to make such statements as there had to be a beginning when the statement is supported by nothing but opinion.  If, for instance, the recurring Big Bang theory is correct, an infinity of time is a definite possibility and entropy is "reset" every time the BB occurs."

What makes it easy for me to say that there was a beginning is that it is established science. Argue with established science if you like but there are 5 lines of evidence you might want to consider.
                The Second Law of Thermodynamics. The universe cannot be eternal because if it were we would have reached complete entropy by now.
                The universe is expanding from the initial explosion of the Big Bang.
                Cosmic background radiation detected by Penzias and Wilson.
                Galaxy seeds ... ripples that show that the "explosion" of the universe was precisely tweaked to cause just enough matter to congregate to allow galaxy formation, but not enough to cause the universe to collapse back on itself.
                GTR demands an absolute beginning for time, space and matter.

As for the cosmic rebound hypothesis in case you haven't heard it's fallen out of favor as far as actual science is concerned. To begin with there's no evidence to support the possibility of an infinite number of Big Bangs. Also there's not enough matter in the universe to pull everything back together to start the cycle over. Also contradicts the Second Law of Theremodynamics in that it falsely assumes that no energy would be lost in each contraction and explosion. That's probably what you were trying for when you glibly said that "entropy is reset". Blue sky speculation and bad science.

3. profile image53

There was never nothing, it only seems that way. Like a thought you can't see it but it is there. There are things in the universe we can't see such as consciousness.

3. profile image53

Consciousness is what there was before anything else. This is a must to create anything. Nothing was created without a thought.

Where was consciousness before there were brains to think? Floating around somewhere in the air?

I volunteer for that study!!! Call me when you start . I'd LOVE to see what we can come up with. Where WAS consciousness before brains??? Good question.
            Where do we start??? Uh... the ooey gooey center of the big ball of fire???  Lemme get my ruler???
            Gimme a 24hr notice, I may need to find the metal one...

Unfortunately you can't have that study, as consciousness can't be separated from the brain. You can try this out for yourself, but I don't recommend it.

So! The world thunk up itself with no brain involved???
                Sounds plausible I guess. Brains from nothing. Where are my gooey-stuffs, and butane spray... I just gotta see this...

Brains evolve through evolution. Consciousness and thinking is a result (and emergent from) brains. Think about it. Plants don't have brains. In all likelihood, they don't think or have a consciousness. Amoebas don't have brains, and we don't observe them doing anything that would be a result of consciousness and thinking(they don't appear to make choices, they just react to chemical and physical forces).

So people who react to the world in a haphazard anything goes type fashion evolved from plants???

2. profile image53

brains are materialistic like most things on earth they work because the soul or consciousness makes contact when or before we are born. i understand that for some people this would be hard to consider. A brain can't work without consciousness but consciousness works without a brain.

How?

1. profile image53

There are invisible things in the universe, things we can't see but we know they are there. Can you actually see a thought? thought not.

I agree, but I don't think consciousness is one of those things.

1. profile image53

Why not? It was and is responsible for all the Universes.

3. Lucid Psyche profile image59

"Where was consciousness before there were brains to think? Floating around somewhere in the air?"

There was no air for consciousness to float in. No matter, no space, no time ... and yet the universe began to exist. Something with the requisite energy and intelligence to cause the cosmological constants to be fined tuned to incredible precision. That's enough evidence to at least question the assumption that consciousness requires a brain since no brains (matter) would exist without a preexisting consciousness to begin the physical universe.

"since no brains (matter) would exist without a preexisting consciousness to begin the physical universe."

An assumption with zero evidence to back it up.

The simple fact that your "consciousness" disappears under general anesthetic should show you that it requires a brain for consciousness.

But when you sleep, you have dreams. But people would think you was unconscious. Yes???

Sleeping is a state of different brain wave activity. I wouldn't consider it "unconscious" like when you are under anesthetic. Just a different state of consciousness. Actually, there are several states of sleep.

smile speculation is an oozing of what our heart screams, right?
                    So the people who watched their surgery under anesthetic were...??? At one stage of sleep!!! Boy, you DO think of everything! wink
                    no convincing you...

"An assumption with zero evidence to back it up.

Not an assumption. Established scientific fact. The universe began (Big Bang) no natural order existed (time, space, matter). There was nothing natural to begin the universe thus it had to have (by definition) a supernatural cause. The precision with which the universe exploded into being is extremely persuasive evidence that the cosmological constants were fine tuned by a super-intellect.

The simple fact that your "consciousness" disappears under general anesthetic should show you that it requires a brain for consciousness."

Not at all. It only shows that the medium through which consciousness operates physically has been affected. NDE's now prove that the mind can operate independently of the physical brain.

"Not an assumption. Established scientific fact. The universe began (Big Bang) no natural order existed (time, space, matter). There was nothing natural to begin the universe thus it had to have (by definition) a supernatural cause. The precision with which the universe exploded into being is extremely persuasive evidence that the cosmological constants were fine tuned by a super-intellect."

>>NOT an established fact.

"Not at all. It only shows that the medium through which consciousness operates physically has been affected. NDE's now prove that the mind can operate independently of the physical brain.

>>NDE's "prove" nothing.

100% pure assumptions.

>>NOT an established fact.

Yes, as a matter of fact the Big Bang is accepted and has 5 lines of evidence that support it. The precision of the cosmological constants is also a fact ... atheists are forced by their sacrosanct ideology to simply accept them as a given. Taken together they annihilate the obsolete ideology of atheism. The scientists that discovered the Big Bang were well aware of the implications. Most people don't have the background in logic and science to understand how devastating scientific proof of longstanding philosophical arguments is to atheism. That's why for instance that Richard Dawkins is frightened to debate William Lane Craig. He witnessed the spectacle of Christopher Hitchens making a fool of himself.

"Not at all. It only shows that the medium through which consciousness operates physically has been affected. NDE's now prove that the mind can operate independently of the physical brain.

>>NDE's "prove" nothing.

100% pure assumptions.

Dr. Jeffrey Long and others have taken that non-argument away. You should do some research.

That was SO pretty!!! smile

15. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Maybe God is just a trickster. And the universe is a product of magic. big_smile

No way... wink

3. profile image53

It is magic to ordinary people. All in a days work for the Gods.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

The universe was just an accident waiting to happen. lol

1. profile image53

No such thing as an accident. Everything that happens is for a purpose.

17. Cgenaea profile image60

This conversation has passed my IQ... but I'll be waiting... the MINUTE somebody says something regular, I'm all over it. wink

Never sell yourself short. You strike me as being very perceptive. I believe that you value truth. Truth is accessible to anyone who desires it.
      smile

I'm short. wink truth is... I'm HORRIBLE in Science. Never have I been graded higher than C there...sometimes I think the Lord has kept it from me for some reason. He allowed me to accel in every orher subject.
        I do value truth (glad someone noticed lol) so my quest is to tell it. So that's what I'm gonna do. Even if I must only tell myself. smile

My sister is (literally) a genius with a 160 IQ, and says "I don't believe in science". She likes to make fun of her dumber sister(me) all the time about it.

Welcome to the club!!! Want a drink??? wink

18. mishpat profile image60
    mishpatposted 9 years ago

We have to be very careful with "facts" and who presents them.  We already know that "scientific fact" is not fact in deed, by "sciences" own definition.  "Scientific fact" is akin to circumstantial evidence in a criminal trial but closer to a "mere preponderance of evidence" in a civil trial.  In neither situation is there an identifiable fact.  Assumption is scientific fact.  It needs only unspecified varying degrees required proofs to be recognized as "fact."

19. Cgenaea profile image60

I think it sad but intended that Scientific guess is given more credence than the power of God/bible.
    Science does not have to answer ALL questions before we give it our varying degrees of attention. But we expect that and more from God. No wonder he said, "no sign will be given except the sign of Jonas"
    We've given our faith to Science. Then we mock him with what we have decided that we "know" already.
    I don't think he finds it amusing. Our faith/what we rely upon is important to him.

God could EASILY make it clear that he exists. He could easily make it clear which God exactly, he is.

Why obfuscate and mess around?

It's like a child "auditing" her parent. Remember all those things that you just could not understand then??? Mom didn't ever say, have some coffee, we'll discuss all my "grown-up" business with you... because she knew that even if she told you, you'd not be mature enough to understand, even if you knew.
        If He is the creator... He created ALL that we think we know... which means He KNOWS, and wants you to trust that He knows... or don't.
        He does prove himself all the time to me... wink But he doesn't tell everything. There must be a purpose for His obscurity. I trust anyway...

A God who WANTS to be believed in, like yours does, sure makes it difficult to reasonably do that.

There are billions who believe in other Gods, for no other reason than they were born in a certain geographical location.

His main purpose is love. Not followers. He has MANY followers and when we count all generations, mathematically, he may possibly have all he needs to fill the new earth. Love draws them in... I personally, wouldn't want a bunch of friends who I had to constantly prove myself to, or else!!! I want people who love me for me. Not because I convinced them to.
            Get it??? He's gonna fill up the world with his friends.

Something you made up because it's something you want to believe. Where does it say that in the Bible?

Which part? My whole discourse here in this subject is biblical. I get my ideas about God/Jesus from there.
                Where does it say that his main purpose is love not followers? It doesn't say that verbatim, but he does say biblically that those who are not for him, are against him. They will perish (though he hates the idea, his word is true and will happen as he said) so people are not the main idea. He said MORE of them will die, than live.
                Do you see how i came to my conclusion based upon what the bible says???.

No, I only see wishful thinking.

As expected.

You probably go by what "feels right" to you. Wishful thinking.

Of course, some people's "spiritual discernment" consists of waiting for three coincidence to happen in order to confirm(like Cat said).

Try the spirit to see if it is of God. (Bible)
                    We all have wishes... but only truth is of any importance. If you find a lie in me... call it. I'm humble enough to explain my err and say sorry...

2. profile image53

There isn't just one God.

I agree, there are thousands of God myths.

It is clear that God exists if one views the evidence without a preexisting bias. Our ability to reason is God given ... why should we not be expected to use it?

There is not enough evidence that God exists. What little evidence there MIGHT be a God can be possibly explained by other things. Until then, you have a long way to Go to proving it.

There is no way of proving God. We have what we're getting until we see Him lighting up cloud formations.
            A wicked and perverse generation will be/is seeking after a sign.
            (Jesus said that.) But we won't be getting one. "There will be no sign given unto it" (or something like that)  people are not panting deer anymore. They're interrogating bullies who won't believe no matter WHAT sign he displays. It's a thing of faith. Jesus was smart. He knew that only those who believe will believe.
            Remember one of his first "fantastic feats" was sending a snake to convince that dude.
            Would you believe that, using trickery, some men tried to mock God by conjuring up 2 snakes. Yes the snakes got dead, but a few witnessed that occasion; and STILL did not believe?
            He don't turn tricks no more. Lol
            He learned early that people who love us will love us if we have nothing to give them but ourselves. Proving it all the time can get to be a hassle.

See?????

2. Jomine Jose profile image72
          Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is this "god" that you say exist?

3. Cgenaea profile image60

"It is clear that God exists if one views the evidence without a preexisting bias."

Empty cup wink

20. Cgenaea profile image60

And please remember, He gave us scripture... He must think it good enough for the little faith that He asks of us.

That would be a LOT of faith.

A little faith is all he asks. The bible fully expresses all we need to know to have just a little.  He can work with a little faith. It grows exponentially.

21. Cgenaea profile image60

The only measure of the spirit of God, is the spirit of God.
    Do not read a Dawson or Darwin book to find out about the spirit of God. Please!!!

22. Cgenaea profile image60

And see all the conditions placed on God???who are we to tell him that/how he must prove himself?
    My children simply may not ask that of me.

Avoiding the question of subjectivity.

What is the exact method of determining the "spirit"?

Well I don't know... (sarcasm alert)
        How do you get to know spirits? How would you get to know mine?????????? I do have one. So do you...

Still avoiding a direct answer, I see.

You won't admit it's a subjective "feeling", as I know that's all it is.

Jesus says different. Now which one of you have I chosen to follow to the father he spoke of???
            I avoid nothing. I have no reason to. My answers have satisfied me. No problem if you need more.
            I remember what I did when I needed more.I ran to Jesus. The biblical one. He told me all about himself in scripture. He didn't tell me all the "whys" but humility is helpful in realizing that all cannot be known now. The bible emphasizes patience and faith.
            My thing is, we've got awl the patience in the world for Darwin'n'em. We don't wanna wait for God. And I think it will cost some of us big...

Disapointing that you are lying to yourself.

Ditto...
                But one day, you'll see it first-hand. I don't know about you,  but I don't think I'll be disappointed then...

I don't want to live in a world oblivious to facts. That seems a bit silly to me.

Then you'll suffer in this new Scientific age...

23. Cgenaea profile image60

I already know how stuff works.
    I figured that since you felt silly living in a world devoid of fact you may not like the uncertainty of that world their stuff flip-flops like flounder out of water but hey; to each his own..

Uncertainty doesn't bother me.

That may well be one of the reasons people HAVE to believe in Gods. They can't stand uncertainty. Thanks for bringing that up, things make more sense to me now.

Uncertainty doesn't bother me.

I just cannot believe in a God who is oozing with uncertainty.

I think one of us is, without doubt, uncertain. But it's not me...

Of course I'm uncertain. Who doesn't love a mystery?

The difference is, I can study and learn about the universe, and even devise tests to see if I'm right. A religionist has to wait to find out until they are dead to find out if they're right.

What you are failing to realize, is that you have seen scientific study that confirm the existence of God. We just give more credence to what our hearts scream... yea  or  nay...
            I too am a scholar. Books are great!!!!!!
            I hate that they seem to be disappearing. I'll ever buy as many as I can.
            The difference is... we read with different spirits... (don't make it a liquor joke im already laighing wink )

No, I haven't seen evidence that confirms the existence of God. Just that points in that direction. Not compelling enough for me. I'm about 50/50. Which is rare for an agnostic. Most agnostics see almost(or no) evidence for god.

Sounds lukewarm to me...
                It's not something that you must take either way. He HATES fence-riding though. They seem to try getting the benefit w/o membership; from my human perspective.
                It's like an acknowledgement that there actually could be NOTHING to you, as in, you're phoney; but if you do this flip, ill think about being your friend... got any friends like that???
                We probably looked at the same "God-study" and walked away with something TOTALLY different.  What matters is how you feel about what you've heard.
                (My missing s typo earlier bothered me for a second, but I knew you knew what I meant. I like the subject of grammar. I know it so well, that I manipulate and push the envelope on speech all the time.) Most people here, know that about me. I've left a spectrum of different impressions though. When I quote, I probably don't need quotations. You know my voice... we've talked for years. One would probably have a problem duplicating genaea here. You know my voice... I've been speaking to you for years now. You basically know what I'm gon say. And you know just about how I'm gon say it. wink
                Yeah I missed some keys... bit you know...
                You don't see enough evidence. And I think that bothers you. I've been speaking to you for years too...

No, it doesn't bother me that I don't see enough evidence for God.

I'm actually happy about it. I don't want there to be a God. Any God would have had to create the spider wasp. I don't want to run into the guy who would deliberately create something like that. You ever see nature? It's a madhouse of kill or be killed out there. Who with a good moral sense would create that? I hope he doesn't exist.

24. Cgenaea profile image60

And it shows.
    I'm sorry for the err in judgment.
    Oh boy.... he DID create a whole lot of ugly scary looking stuff. The sound of "spider wasp" gives me the flux. Gotta go see it. Be right back.

It's also possible God isn't omnipotent, and couldn't create the universe outside of certain constraints (laws of physics). Perhaps it could be worse, in other words, and this was the best he could do.

25. Cgenaea profile image60

Yeah... that spider thingy is horrible. If he created that... I don't wanna see hell.

26. Cgenaea profile image60

It's official!!! wink we're different.

I don't like your God. He's cruel.

27. Cgenaea profile image60

You do not see the big picture.
    And non-existent beings cannot be cruel. smile

What is the "big picture"?

28. Cgenaea profile image60

Jesus was the total picture of God. He was not a ferocious man...
    The OT God was protecting the purity of his people. This is one thing that makes me feel that love/good is more important than people.
    The problems of today are our fault. Love is missing. But there is also reason that evil is allowed now, love. He desires that no one perishes. He wants all of His. They all may not be born yet. They may not all have changed their minds yet. I don't know for sure why... but i can speculate, based upon all he said in scripture. I don't need to know EVERYTHING. I really don't think it possible.
    Jesus was God in spirit. He wants us to be God too. Jesus shows us how.
    We don't have to say yes.

Yeah right. It's because of humans bringing evil into the world that God decided to create spider wasps. Makes sense to me.

I really did lol. smile
        God is not complicated. Evil makes it difficult to comprehend good.
        Who are we to say that the ugly ass bug should not be? We don't know why... we have very little info available once you look at it.
        Mishpat just put some stuff on my mind. We really are vulnerable. We cannot know some stuff.

Yes, very little information. That's why we keep looking. Instead of making up goddunit stories to satifsy us.

I like goddunit it's a very likely explanation.And I feel it to be much better than the made-up "everthing just went boom for some reason and all particles fell in perfect line all by themselves." What has satisfied is the fact that we think God can be deleted altogether. I dont wanna live in that world. The bible made up the goddunit stories, one day after the well-thought-out boom;  and they satisfy my curiosity just fine. wink

Then you have to explain how God came to exist. So you're back to the same place everyone else starts form. Adding on a God is just adding on another, unessesary level of complexity.

I say the universe can exist on it's own. You say God can exist on it's own. It's basically the same thing. Except that you're adding on another, supernatural world where anything at all can happen, without rules or order, where your omnipotent God can do whatever He likes.

Yesssssss, My Lady!!! smile we are ALL stuck at the same point!!!
                God was "added" before anything. He will tell me how, one day.
                The (edit) natural has rules and order. Our mathematicians account for the perfection. I think wink
                And God (not the atmosphere) can do whatever... the atmosphere is a well-oiled machine that runs all by itself because it was perfectly laid out to work according to certain rules such as, "You stay put, water, this is your boundary,  lessen I give the ok to split." wink The heart... my God, is a machine that I will NEVER understand.  It acts according to its rules for many many years. Why... nutrition? Heck no!!! smile to me... it took some carefully planned strategies to give me a "battery" that lasts 42 years already and still going strong, after all I've been through. And it happened to millions. I cannot utter "good work Universe! " I just don't think I owe creation (especially accidental) any credit. That seems ludicrous to me...
                Supernatural is how I account for

Please tell me the supernatural rules and show me the order. I'm waiting. I really do have all day, so take your time.

There are no supernatural rules that I know of. Sorry, I did not make that clear. God is supernatural. He runs it however he feels. The natural has order beyond compare. My skin sheds daily, and I still have some!!! It happens to everyone. smile perfection...  our bodies adjust to atmosphere. It's amazing to me. Hot climates produced brown people. That sun is an amazing creation all by itself! Again, amazing. And it has rules. It stays relatively put. wink Bears know when to go to sleep... and stay sleep! Lol... once we learn our rules, we're virtually unstoppable. Different people have different rules.  Isn't that something? I've been reading about blood-type diets. My blood type doesn't process wheat well. I had no idea when my hands and feet broke out in a layer of multicolored blisters for more than 10 years. I wore gloves for two of those years. Once I was miraculously given my cure via a 3 day fast, I was amazed that something as supposedly healthy actually poisons my system. Recently I saw that that was written somewhere... uh... I forgot my point... oh!!! Order... the Lord knew when I was born, what my rules were, and whoever came up with the bloid-type diet. It took me many years to figure. Actually miraculously. One doctor gave me a syphilis diagnosis. Since I knew that that couldn't be right the second opinion gave me steroid grease... NOT ONE of them said, "what are you eating"???  Could've saved me a whole lotta embarrassment. But God, in due time tapped my shoulder after fasting. "These are your rules, genaea, fix it" now I only have croissants in cases of energency. wink then I only get one blister. Lol... gotta obey the rules...

29. mishpat profile image60

Ever wonder what spiders, flys, mosquitoes, fleas, etc. did before the fall of man?  Ever wonder what lions ate before the Flood?  Ever wonder what was happening before God made the Earth?  Ever wonder why we don't have and can't find answers to these things.  Proverb 25:2.  Say, we might be able to use this verse to show that science has a place, but not the answers.

No, I don't wonder those things, because I don't believe in fairy tales.

1. mishpat profile image60
        mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hhhmmm.  Evolution.  Hhhmm.  Aliens.  Aahhmm. Big Bang.  Your right, lets not consider fairy tales.

I don't "believe" in aliens. I don't "believe" in the Big Bang. I do think that evolution occurred and is still occurring, although not through random mutation and natural selection as the driving force.

No aliens or big bang; but, yet occurring evolution...? That explanation is least plausible to me... but I won't call it ignorance, naivety, or wishful thinking.  I'll just buy a baby monkey and see what extra improvement (or deficit, depending on what day it is) he was able to come up with???  Maybe not... wink

It's about looking at the evidence, and deciding what is the most likely explanation. Why did God feel the need to make it LOOK like things evolved from one organism into another? Why did He create a genetic code to show the exact relationships of one organism to another, and to show how we can retrace their evolutionary path? Does God like playing games?

At the very least, God USED evolution to get from less complex organisms to another, and as a means for adaptation to the environment.

Is you believing in God, or no??? wink
                I doubt he had an inkling of concern about what things would look like to us... he said be...  and it was good! Kinda like having kids, we do not think out what "their ideas" about our home or socioeconomic status will be before we lay down... we just do it... and tell them what the rules are when they join OUR households. Yes???
                God made animals first. Them seven days could be seven thousand years for all we know for sure, (it was precisely stated what one day was though) but man came AFTER elephants. It is, of course, logical to imagine we came from them because of it. But I think that God just saved the best for last, like the bible (that gave me all the other info I believe) says...

I would think it's a bit more logical to assume we came from a type of animal that we look the most like. A primate of some sort. And what do you know? We are the most closely related to the chimpanzee, which we can tell by comparing dna. Good thing God created dna, so we could check our logical assumptions.

One maker gives more credence to sameness. Remember Stevie Wonder? He has a sound. He has a way with lyrics that not many can copy. Smokey, having written for many artists, has a sound.  No matter who sings his songs, you hear his flavor. Same artist... God was smart. And we've figured out how to pinpoint his acids but we have no idea about the "animator". What makes my dna act different from yours? What makes my thoughts so much different? Why do I cry when you laugh, and laugh when you cry??? Why do I believe in God, wholeheartedly, and you don't? Why do I see a God-study and rejoice; while you see the same study and throw out duck lips with a sucking sound and a lil eye-roll???
                    And why the hell do monkeys throw their feces??? I'm glad "evolution" knew at what point to stop with the dumb stuff... wink

I was beat to it and I'm still laughing. wink

What happened before the first man wiggled out of the swamp for no reason at all???

What happened before the first man appeared???
        How did all the different species of everthing that is alive come about? What was the first order of business? Were there any meetings?

Of course no "first man" wiggled out of the swamp. I doubt you think that's what evolutionists say happened. I know you're a little smarter than that.

30. Slarty O'Brian profile image82
    Slarty O'Brianposted 9 years ago

Yeah. It's kind of a no brainer. wink

31. janesix profile image59

Why am I up at three in the morning?

Omg!!! I am always asking myself that question!!! I was up with you this morning. Usually am too... I don't know how I missed this post last/this morning, but would have loved to keep you company. smile
      I'm unemployed (for the most part) but that is far from the reason I'm up so late. I've been a night-shiner since I was 4. I am the only 5 yr old who knew that tv used to go off and come back up with the flag. smile I often wonder why. But I have found them to be really productive hours of writing.

32. mishpat profile image60

Gravity?  Anyone know what gravity is, other than a word?  How does it work?  Is it the "magic" of God?  Is it the power of God? 

Does an omnipotent Being need magic?  Would He use as a standard that which He calls an abomination?

Nobody knows what gravity really is, or how it works. But attributing something like that to God simply because we don't know yet is a complete cop out.

It's actually just believing what the bible says...
        Bible said God made everything. I'm including gravity. And how the heck did the bible know about the world's "spindle"??? What could have given that knowledge then???

Oops! smile not spindle... gimme a sec.
        Choking on my toes. Gotta get it straight.

Spindle? What are you talking about? I must have missed that one.

Sorry, my friend. My brain stayed home on that one. Please disregard.

Don't be.  A spindle and a pillar, especially in this case, can be the same.

Except the Earth doesn't have a "pillar".

1 Samuel 2:8.  The same word for singular and plural, depending on context.

He raises the poor from the dust
                        and lifts the needy from the ash heap;
                    he seats them with princes
                        and has them inherit a throne of honor.

“For the foundations of the earth are the Lord’s;
                        on them he has set the world.

That's all I got.

Still don't see what that has to do with the Earth itself. The Earth doesn't have "foundations" OR "pillars".

smile
                Reminded even when you dont know it.
                I love this life of victory!!!

2. profile image53

Gravity is what keeps your feet on the ground. It is one of those things you can't see but you know it is there.

Gravity can be measured. It interacts with objects. We know it's basic rules. Consciousness is only in your head, doesn't interact with the outside world, can't be measured. The two can't be compared at all. Consciousness isn't out there, interacting with the environment, floating around in the air.

It's another thing that cant be seen, but you know it's there.  Conscious is spirit. How can we say it's not? My conscience cannot be seen or measured (thank God) but I know I'm conscious; even when it doesn't appear so to others. The thing that differentiates yo' brain activity from my brain activity.

Yet we can detect brain activity, always INSIDE the brain. Never have we detected brain activity outside, or interacting with the environment in any way. It's all in your head....

1. profile image53

You can detect brain activity but you can't detect the mind which is the conscious part of your being. (the mind).

That I have to agree with.

It's not about the brain activities outside your head. It's all about inside. You are correct, for once. wink how you process is you uniquely. That is where you find spirit.

"Spirit" is meaningless if you can't explain it. It's just a made up thing.

I just explained it... remember?

No you didn't. Where does the spirit reside? What mechanism does God use to place the spirit inside people?

You know you are conscious but do you know what is "Consciousness"?

Spirit, the fancy way that men came up with to keep from sayn spirit all the time sos it don sound so spooooooky... wink

1. Jomine Jose profile image72

Just like they came up with nonsense "spirit"?

Just like they came up with the nonsense "spirit"?

3. profile image53

Quite right.

2. profile image53

Consciousness is floating around. it is everywhere.

2. mishpat profile image60

Can you explain how it works?  No one else seems to be able to.  Just telling "what it does" is like saying an engine make a car move.  That does not explain the engine.

33. mishpat profile image60

Just a few more items which hopefully will generate even more well thought out responses

... one God ... James 2:19
    ... two covenants ... Galatians 4:24
    ... third heaven ... 2 Corinthians 12:2
    ... four corners of the earth ... isaiah 11:12
    ... fifth rib ... 2 Samuel 2:23
    ... six years ... Leviticus 25:3
    ... seventh day ... God ... rested ... Genesis 2:2

Who will give pepsi to god who gets tired by seven days of work?

Thank you for assisting in making my point.

Always willing to help.

Jesus was there. Maybe he had the cooler.

1. profile image53

Jesus was not there at the birth of the universe.

I can see that...
            But what about Jesus saying that he's going back from whence he came? Didn't he say that? Seems I remember something like that...
            Without him (at least in spirit or conceived already in the heart of God) was nothing made???
            Let's talk it out when you have time. smile

That will make him a lunatic.

You heard him say?

You know this from scripture?

No he was not there then, he was born later as an illegitimate child.

Jomine Jose, in the corner! wink
            You know... well, maybe you don't.

34. Cgenaea profile image60

So these people UNDER anesthetic infuence watching their surgery were sleep??? Sounds like youre saying one or the other at first... and then we "flip"... and I'm too old. smile
    Are we both asleep??? I feel like I'm dreaming.  Am I dreaming???

No, people under anesthetic are not asleep. They are unconscious. People who see themselves having surgery have active imaginations, or their anesthetic wasn't working.

In no way evidence of conscious outer-body...
        Noted!!! So, you've rejected "my" evidence.  And proof that spirit exists.
        What other trick shall I perform (unsuccessfully) for you???
        I got some bubble gum!!!

Show me studies that prove out of body experiences. This shouldn't be too hard, as I know there have been some studies on this.

You're turn to Google.

Bubble gum's more fun... gimmie a bubble gum trick!!! I was champion bubble-gum-bubble blower back home!!!
            Can you climb in my box???

Sleep, you still have sensory input and sense of time

Unconsciousness, you don't

Neat!!! I'll never be able to squeeze into that teeny tiny box...
        How about seeing ambulance workers, who don't have time for anesthesia, from the back or outside the van??? Now if THAT'S not a good enough trick... maybe I can go get my glitter.

Your brain produces DMT, a natural hallucinogen. Maybe there is a study on that. Why don't you google it?

Does my brain produce Dmt under anesthesia or when im sleep??? Or do I have to ckeck one of the other stages of sleep to see if I can fit my body watching ambulance people work on my chest from outside the van, in there???

Why don't you do a little research on it yourself? Learning is exciting and fun.

I see we have a new avoidance Queen!!!
                I gladly step down from my throne. wink

What, do you expect me to know EVERYTHING? My brain isn't an encyclopedia.

Funny, that's what I've been telling you. wink
                    We just gotta trust some stuff... or don't.

35. Cgenaea profile image60

Seek, and ye shall find...
    I'm starting to wonder if the bible means that ANYTHING we seek, we find.
    I bet I can find evidence of the flying spaghetti monster if I look real hard in my bowl... wink .

1. profile image53

God WILL forgive you All in your ignorance, EVENTUALLY.

I don't know from scripture. He forgives the sinner who knows he is a sinner, humbles himself, and agrees with God no matter WHAT it looks like.
        Does he tolerate your search for "nothing" when he's right there calling?
        He said, "If you deny me, I will deny you..."

36. Cgenaea profile image60

You have been speaking to me, often from a pedestal,  for years, Mommy wink
    You may answer my question, I bet.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I CHOOSE Jesus.
    No matter WHAT anyone says.
    Say you got proof he doesn't exist??? Try me... I've been down that road before. Well I looked, from my side of the street... things just LOOK different from where you are. That's been "proven" too. wink

It's impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

You could be right, it may be possible to chose what we believe. I can only go from experience, though. I've tried to believe in things before just through will, and it never worked.

We know what we know. We guess at the rest. If we believe anything long enough, we amass a portfolio of little proofs along the way.
        If I suck in, that there is not really enough evidence to prove God exists, I'm going to take to heart, every study that confirms what "I" suspect; rejecting most others that don't agree with what I've ALREADY decided that I believe.
        There is a very important reason that the bible says that our cup (mind/spirit) should be emptied out when we come to him, ready to receive. He cannot be bothered with our ideas of how things REALLY should go. He does not trust our judgment.

37. janesix profile image59

"We know what we know. We guess at the rest. If we believe anything long enough, we amass a portfolio of little proofs along the way.
    If I suck in, that there is not really enough evidence to prove God exists, I'm going to take to heart, every study that confirms what "I" suspect; rejecting most others that don't agree with what I've ALREADY decided that I believe.
    There is a very important reason that the bible says that our cup (mind/spirit) should be emptied out when we come to him, ready to receive. He cannot be bothered with our ideas of how things REALLY should go. He does not trust our judgment."

I'm still not convinced. Do you think it would be possible for you to not believe in Jesus? Could you force yourself to believe any other way?

Seems like changing your worldview would be shattering, and not easily done.

I could today, fix my mind to believe that Jesus does not exist. There's "evidence" to bolster that opinion, everywhere!!! wink
      I WILL not...
      I block those suggestions easily. Don't I??? Lol...
      You block what you want, too.
      Depends solely upon where your faith lies.
      I cannot be convinced of what they say, if I don't give them more credit than I give my father in heaven. I put Him above ALL others willfully, with bells on...
      The MOMENT I put Darwin first...he begins to carry more weight.
      Do we CHOOSE our friends???

Yes, we choose our friends. But you can't choose who you love. It's either there or it isn't. Just like beliefs. They're either there or they aren't. That's just my opinion though, so I won't argue the point further (because I can't be certain).

Love is an action. We choose our actions for sure. No one has control of my hands and feet and mouth but me. What makes me to say loving words when my instincts want to berate and belittle??? Jesus said... I know he's right. I yield to his will for me. Now I don't hit that mark all the time. But I aim to...
          Ok, subject dropped, for now. smile

Well, now we have something to argue about:)

Love is a feeling, brought on by chemical reactions in the brain and body. You are describing empathy, not love. You can't choose who you have feelings for. You can choose your actions, which can go AGAINST feelings. If you don't feel love for someone, even can't stand them, you can still choose to be nice. But you don't love them.

Being nice is love. Even if I hate God... if I give instead of take, it is love. God is love.
              You have shown a Godly characteristic even if you don't believe it. What you are referring to is emotion. Not the same. I can choose to love you (clothe, feed, lead you to good) even if I do not like you very much. I loved my husband one day. And the next day, I didn't... but the next day I did... and 15 minutes later... thats (fleeting) emotion for you... it's hard to choose emotion.
              Love does not change. Love is consistent.
              I chose to feed him (always without spit) even on my "off" days. (Am I explaining this rite?????) Seems a lil off. What'd I miss???

Ok, I guess you can call it love, but I only see it as empathy or altruism. I see love a purely an emotion.

I've seen enough evidence that humans are mostly altruistic by nature, even from a young age. I think bad behavior is learned. What do you think?

Most often. My brother and I both picked up smoking and drinking. But neither ever happened in our house, growing up. The air was clean as a whistle.
                  We learned from someone, but not our closest role models. There were three separate families in our house, all related. No smoking, no drinking. We'd just puff rings outside.
                  Why do you ask?

Just curious what you think. I like to understand why people think the way they do. I don't understand people very well.

Careful.  There are at least four prominent types of love in the Bible.  The most prominent is an action.  The others have to be analyzed by context.  There is, of course, a 5th, the one the world uses to describe purposeful deviant behavior.

Have you considered that some of "us" believers started out with no faith, no belief and no God?  We hear the words reason, think, objective and subjective thrown around, or at us, in a manner that suggests only subjectivity.  And that akin to stupidity and nonsense.

It is especially "jaw tightening" to read of unbelievers "putting believers in their place" with the use of some worldly thinking applied to the Word of God. 

They seem to forget that believers aren't perfect (in the standard definition).  In fact, and for the most part, it is as Peter said we are "scarcely" saved, meaning there isn't really that much difference between the saved and unsaved... except Jesus Christ.

And these same all knowing folk have the temerity to demand answers to why God did this or that, but hide in some other forum page for a while when a direct answer is given that cannot be refuted.  Are the afraid they might believe?  I think so because they are aware of what they will have to give up and are not willing to do so. 

And, of course, a comment like this will raise eyebrows and another Bible verse will be foisted upon the believer by these folks "Your judging me."  I really just feel sorry for them at that point.  That's really all that can be done at that point, that and move on.

Man cannot change man.  Only God can do that, and only if the man is truly seeking.

I'm not sure what all that has to do with what I was saying. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

All I said was I don't think we can choose our beliefs. And then I said I wasn't even sure if I was right about that.

Just needed to be said.

2. profile image53

You can and do choose your beliefs because you were gifted with free will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)