How to start an infinite constructive debate?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

For example, if someone whom you have known for a long time, cease to like you. Would it  discompose  you?

1. cam8510 profile image91
      cam8510posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Michael, I am going to venture into this question, although I have no idea at this point where I am going.  Let me begin with the word discompose.  Although it turns out to be fairly self descriptive, I had to look it up.  I don't believe I have ever used or even heard the word discompose before, so great job tripping up this native English speaker. 

Would it throw off the order of my life if someone I knew for a long time ceased to like me?  Would it unsettle, agitate, perturb me?  I suppose it depends on the depth of the relationship.  Your question states that this is a relationship that has been a part of my life for a long time, and I assume you mean it was a deep, substantial relationship. 

In that case, yes, it would upset my world considerably for a while.  Would the strength of a structure be changed if a key building block were exchanged for one made of a different material?  Would the meaning of a sentence be changed if a vital word was exchanged for one of a totally different meaning?  yes, in both cases, of course there would be a fundamental unsettling of the wall and sentence. 

If someone that close to me changed their feelings for me, their attitude about me and their actions toward me, my life would be shaken to its very core.  This is what happens in divorce.  It's what happens between brothers and sisters who have a falling out over the family business.  It's what happens to friends when jealousy creeps in.   

What do we do in such cases?  We rebuild our lives.  We rebuild the lost relationship if possible, but if not, we must fill that void with something strong.  Otherwise, we become much weaker in an emotional, psychological way.  We are plagued with feelings of guilt, inadequacy, anger, frustration and bitterness. 

A person might try to pretend this catastrophic event did not disrupt their life, but the very same time that can heal, can also reveal the ineffective ways we attempt to deal with loss and grief, which is just what your question implies, loss and grief.

Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Chris for being the first commenter. You have made wonderful insight into the core of my focusing point of situations we human find ourselves in 'decomposing ' situation. Finding out in this HP community that we  are here as a "family' to enhance, to help, to build up each other, one thing i've noticed our effort stops short of going full distance. Two of your last paragraphs summarized excellently of my issue which I would never be able to express it as precisely as you did. You are using key words, '' weaker in an emotional psychological way ...inadequacy, anger, frustration an bitterness...'' telling me the cause and effect of " braking up or separate''-(discompose) our total existence as spirit and soul living in the body. We uphold physical, emotional and psychological and are successful in " healing,'' while "spiritual" is rarely reach into to deal with  which consequently leaves permanent damage  in relationships also  in a persons life ending in total loss. "infinite constructive debate" will bring ample input by contribution of  experiences, and  expertise of many knowledgeable and wise friends - to reach out- successfully in expectation to see happy and healthy loving world once again.

2. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Could somebody explain why this thread is listed under Technical Questions?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

An excellent question and one that I fear may only be answered with further debate.  It reminds me of the time... (fill in later)

Right on Mark. Thanks .

2. Michael-Milec profile image61

Might be 'technical' issue; my apology if caused by me.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Michael, like Cam I have never heard or used the word "discompose" before. His answer is also very thorough. I have had falling outs with family members before and we still don't speak so that event did severely effect and change my life .. but whether that is for the better or worse..there is no real way to tell. Interesting question of which I am sure there can be a variety of answers.

Your wise words Jodah  compliment to my anticipation. Thanks.

4. DasEngel profile image60
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12637339.jpg

Great line: We live by learning and learn from each other.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Michael:
    A.  discompose (verb):
            to disturb or agitate (someone)

B. compose:
            write, formulate, devise, make up, think up, produce, invent, concoct, pen, author, draft; score,  orchestrate, choreograph, organize, arrange, set out, make up, constitute, form.

C. composed:
           calm, collected, cool, cool as a cucumber, 'cool, calm, and collected', self-controlled, self-possessed; serene, tranquil, relaxed, at ease, unruffled, unperturbed, untroubled; equable, even-tempered, imperturbable; unflappable, together, laid-back.

Q. "If someone you knew for a long time…"
    like a friend? a brother? a cousin? a wife? a friend since grade school?

"...ceased to like you,"

how shown?

ignores your phone calls? won't write you back? has unfriended you on Face book? won't go out to dinner any more? won't play racket ball or tennis any more? won't go to museums any more? will no longer let you into his art studio for those wonderful discussions about art and painting? won't go for walks with the dogs any more? won't attend family functions any more? refuses to go surfing with you because your surfing buddy now has a girl surfing buddy? won't sleep with you any more?

"...would it cause you (edit:) to become discomposed?" ( adverb)
    would it cause you to become irritated or agitated?

A.  Loosing a friend would cause feelings of sadness within me. More-so than feelings of irritation or agitation.

PS The adverb form, become (answers the question, how?) discomposed (irritated), is probably more clear than the verb form, (cause you to) discompose (irritate oneself). We are baffled by your use of this word, as it is never used ...  nor should it, considering the definition of the word compose. For instance: To discompose something would actually be to destroy a composition! Feelings are not compositions ...  well, unless they are painted on a 2D matrix, written or authored in a book, featured in a play, etc. But to become discomposed, (state of mind), would be to become un-composed/calm.

LAM

Wow Kathryn, excellent lead toward the whole existence of our  human being: spirit soul and body... ( What LAM stands for this time, please ?)

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why " Look  At  Me?'

- another poster wrote:

"I agree with those who said the forums have gotten tired …  Most of the forums I've been on over the years have gotten tired.

HP forums tend to cover many of the same topics over and over and over.

"Did you see what Panda did to me?  OMG and WTF!"

"My religion is bigger than your religion."

"HubPages is dying, I better go and backup my backups!"

or worst of all...

'Look at me.'

Gasp."

Isn't "Look at me" a valid/interesting enough reason to post?

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Now, as to the title:

A.  Adding ly to infinite changes it into a word that can be used to describe, (an adjective.)

B. "How to Start an Infinitely Constructive Debate"
    Titles require (mostly) all caps, however, you are not informing us as to how to start a debate, you are asking us how does one start a debate ...

Therefore:

Q. How does one start an infinitely constructive debate?

This question would be a fine lead-in sentence, and doesn't need capital letters.

(I know you are confused by our language. Just trying to be helpful.)

There must have been a supernatural intervention : my reply to this has disappeared. ( we will see...)
      Anyway, thank you very much for being 'helpful' - my painful learning deserves spanking sometimes.
      Walter Mondale said " If you are sure  you understand everything that is going on, you are hopelessly confused ."

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

How DOES one start an infinitely constructive debate???

I think this is a great question!

A constructive debate brings to light something which needs to be clarified.
    Debates bring other opinions and viewpoints to the round table of discussion.
    The forum format of Hub Pages is the coolest due to the boundaries which set forth the rules for constructive debate as opposed to destructive debate.

Go anywhere else on the internet and you will find name calling and terrible put downs. Other people's points of view can cause others to become discomposed,. However, as we all know, the truth can only be found in cool headed logical analysis.

Thanks very much for your infinitely relevant prompts.

PS "Infinitely" constructive debating indicates totally, completely or wholly constructive (helpful or significant) debating as opposed to meaningless ramblings.

TWISI

A+

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

How does one start infinitely meaningless ramblings?

You mean how to stop infinitely meaningless...?

~ How to STOP infinite constructive debate = "look at me?"

I suppose so.

I hereby stop using LAM.

Sorry Kathryn, mine was only a question, not an order what have too be done.

I know that. It was my own decision, based on the truth of the matter, which you helped me realize.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"An adverb is a word that modifies a verb, adjective, another adverb, determiner, noun phrase, clause, or sentence. Adverbs typically express manner, place, time, frequency, degree, level of certainty, etc., answering questions such as how?, in what way?, when?, where?, and to what extent?"

"Adjectives are words that describe or modify other words. They can identify or quantify another person or thing in the sentence. Adjectives are usually positioned before the noun or the pronoun that they modify."

10. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Kathryn  , You are such a cool woman ,  a lively debater and forumer !

Thank You Very Much, ahorseback!
      ( I don't know how many want you encouraging me, however.lol )

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

This is a great explanation:

"infinite constructive debate" will bring ample input by contribution of  experiences, and  expertise of many knowledgeable and wise friends - to reach out- successfully in expectation to see happy and healthy loving world once again.

Just cross this out as not relevant:
    "'Infinitely' constructive debating indicates totally, completely or wholly constructive (helpful or significant) debating as opposed to meaningless ramblings."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)