Another tip that may help writers here.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12839708_f520.jpg
    When HP dropped the subdomains, I had a difficult time trying to find the right categories for my hubs because there really are not any that exactly apply.  Yesterday I went back and changed every one of them by digging deeper into seemingly unrelated categories.  So, for example, instead of using Travel and Places>transportation> Recreational Vehicles for all of them, I instead used topics such as Autos>buying and selling vehicles>buying vehicles where that one was applicable.

While this still is not an exact match, it obviously is working because today I am seeing red arrows all over my stats page!  Some, of course are from the updating, but it is clear that  right now this is helping my page views.

Check yours to see if you can tweak them because I'm thinking  that the more specific they are, the more likely they are to bring more views.

Good Luck!

1. gerimcclym profile image96
      gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion - it is certainly worth experimenting with.

2. Shadrack2 profile image43
      Shadrack2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

not a bad idea. I'll try it out.

2. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 8 years ago

Thank you for a great tip! I know what I'll be doing later today.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

Thats interesting; I update my hubs every so often and change categories as well. When they stop getting any traffic for a while then I delete them.

4. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

That's great! But just make sure those red arrows are not your own views? If they aren't then that's pretty cool. Probably your hubs are right on top in their new categories, hence the boost in traffic.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Already did that.  I stated earlier that yes, some of them are, but certainly not all because I only have 100 hubs and I am seeing an increase of more than 300 overall since changing.

5. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

My concern about this strategy is that it separates your Hubs. 

So for instance - if all your Hubs are about RV's, then if you put them all in the RV category then if someone is browsing the RV category they will see them all.   And they may show up in the "related Hubs" on your other RV-related Hubs and on Hubs about RV's by other authors. 

Whereas if you put them in a completely separate category, then no one browsing the RV category will see the ones you've put elsewhere.  And they will not show up in the "related Hubs" on your other RV Hubs, or on any other Hubs about RV'ing.    Instead, they will show up on Hubs about buying cars.  Most people interested in buying cars, won't be interested in buying an RV.

Also (although this is less of an issue) if someone happens to be looking at your profile, all your RV-related Hubs won't be under RV's.

This is the very reason I initially placed them under Recreational Vehicles, but the problem is that this is attached to Travel, but only a few of my hubs specifically deal with that.  It's a tradeoff, for sure.

I'll see how it goes, and if things head south, I can always change things back to the way they were.

I have consistently urged the team to create an RV category, but they have always refused to do so.  I feel it is to their and my benefit (as well as to all who write on this topic) to do so, but I cannot force them to do it, so the choices are minimal.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how many people go to the topics section to find articles but rather simply search on Google.

If we no longer have subdomains, what's the difference whether the hubs are separated or not?

Time will tell!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I just checked one of my hubs for some of these issues.  It appears that what is happening is that they are referring to one another within their own groups, rather than in the recreational vehicle grouping.  So, for example, anything having to do with maintenance is being shown as related, etc.  So, while people may not find these things in the general topics under travel, they can find them within the articles and immediately link to them.  I kind of like it this way!

By the way, my earnings since yesterday have almost doubled and my CPM went up quite a bit, also!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I meant, TT2.  What I'm saying is that you need to look at the other Hubs in the category and make sure that actually works in your favour.

So for instance, your RV maintenance Hubs won't ever appear as a "related Hub" on Hubs about RV'ing - instead, they'll appear on Hubs about maintenance for cars in general.  That could be good or it could be bad.

You and LeanMan may be right because views dropped considerably today.  If I don't see an improvement in a week or so, I'll change it back.  I just am not comfortable with the way the team provides categories in my main niche.  Nothing really exactly matches.  Although, I am seeing both car and RV related hubs showing up on some of my hubs.

6. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

I have seen a similar increase in traffic over the last 24hrs - but I have not done anything to my hubs so maybe there is something else going on with Google etc..

I'd like to know if this is happening to anybody else.  If so, I've done a lot of work for nothing!

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the same happened to me - a great increase for 24-36 hours, which has since died a death.  sad

So, it looks like my little upgrade wasn't the great Idea I thought it was.  I'm betting that if other people had increased views, my increase was due to something else.  Changing back today!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)