Please Publish a List of Topics You'll Be Making Into Niche Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

The blog post made it clear you're interested mostly in brand new hubs for the niche sites. If you release a list of topics you'll be making niche sites for, we can write new hubs on those topics.

You'll have to do so eventually and doing so now will give us time to create enough content for each niche to be a site worth mentioning when you release it. We can even wait to publish them so they can be brand new for the new sites.

We all know pet care is a very risky niche to try to dominate and that there are a limited number of writers who specialize in tattoos and piercing and have the necessary industry expertise plus a willingness to write for free. So there have to be other niche topics you already have in mind, things that are less difficult to rank in and more likely for people to write about. Please share them with us rather than waiting until the last minute when it will lead to failure.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this Kylyssa.
      I know that I am anxiously waiting to see if my niche topic will be covered.  I know I feel hesitant to write anything more here unless I know that my time is being well spent.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image90
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Paul E did come onto another thread and say that the next two will most probably be beauty, followed by food and beverage. I think there is no list yet..because there is not a list.

Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's scary. HubPages must be in terrible trouble if there is no list. 

I wonder why they are choosing such high competition niches?

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

As Jesse said, Beauty is next followed by Food and Drink - BUT they will be waiting to assess the performance of the first two before they continue, so it could be a long while before they get started. If they are going to hand-pick Hubs each time, it could be 2017 before we see them!

And by the way, it is not true that they are interested in mostly brand new Hubs for the new sites - Christy responded to apologise if that was misleading, it was not what they meant.

It's too bad that they've chosen such high competition niches for the test. 

What does the post mean by giving first priority to new hubs if it doesn't mean giving first priority to new hubs? I'm off to read the explanation on the blog.

[Edited to add] It still reads that they'll be giving priority to new hubs. The explanation confirms that new hubs have first priority.

4. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Niche sites which work well are those which don't exist within a context of intense competition.

Frankly the design capabilities of the site will need to be hugely enhanced if they are ever likely to float off sites focused on beauty and/or recipes.

These are after all both MEGA NICHE topics where image is everything!

1. Jesse Drzal profile image90
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You mean more specialized and focused niche? Like what?

2. Jesse Drzal profile image90

Sub niche sites inside specialized niche sites?

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why the question marks? They already exist! 
        e.g. within a mega niche like "Beauty" you'd have
        * skin care
        * skin care / beauty regimes for specific skin types eg acne.

Want to have a think about how many kids and adults have suffered with acne?

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I suspect they are focusing on moving those top 3000 hubs, in hopes they will do even better on niche sites. Some of my best earners are beauty hubs amd I know people doing well with tattoo hubs.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image90

Good news then.

2. Kylyssa profile image91

The thing they don't understand is that there are already massive, professional-looking authority sites for pets, beauty, and food.

5. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

The thing they also don't understand is that video is "where it's at" these days when it comes to teaching "how to" to people. Everybody I know who teaches is getting online with digital video - or thinking about it.

says she - prompted by just having been asked whether I'd be interested in doing a class for Craftsy!  I'm waiting to hear whether the film team will travel to the UK!

How unfortunate for those of us who are unattractive or who don't have good speaking voices.

That's life I'm afraid.

I'm much less keen on appearing in photos these days given I can remember what I used to look like. However not everybody is picky.

Also I have a complete aversion to artists (or anybody else) who appear in videos looking like barbie dolls! wink

People aren't that picky but you really must be somewhere within the realm of normal-looking and normal-sounding to succeed with videos.

Maybe I could do something like mount the critical camera looking down over my shoulder so people would only see my hands at work and have a normal person read the instruction script under my direction?

That would work!

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I immediately leave any site that tries to force me to watch a video and continue searching until I find a site that gives me the information I am seeking in words, with maybe the odd picture here and there.

I find videos useless for any form of learning, because
      (a) it is impossible to print them out and/or annotate them for future reference, so I would need to try frantically to write notes on a piece of paper so as to have usable information
      (b) moving backwards and forwards through them is such a faff and thus it is so difficult to skip through the unncessary chit chat and other padding to get to the actual information I need, as well as to refer back to some important point I am not sure I have remembered correctly
      (c) many people who make them have incomprehensible accents

That's fine - and I do tend to agree with you

However the marketplace is moving forward with video and has been for the last few years

Videos are also one of the ways of addressing copyright issues and making sure that your content remains your content - difficult to substitute your face or voice or words in a video!

Plus short videos make great marketing tools!

2. makingamark profile image70

Actually the main problem with videos is that many people who make them talk far too fast!

Plus don't annotate with the learning points at intervals!

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's so cool, that you may be making a video for Craftsy! I just began knitting again, learned when I was 10, and made only a scarf or two since then. I am finding You Tube to be very helpful, and learning all kinds of new stitches. Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)