folowing on the new sites

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 8 years ago

I just TRIED to follow a person on Pethelpful. Couldn't figure out how - no buttons for it. So HOW is this done and WHY isn't it easy?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Profiles and community functions still exist only on HubPages.com, not on niche sites, though we do want to build community features for those sites in the future.

Lionrhodposted 8 years agoin reply to this

right. so we follow...how?

Clicking on a Hubber's profile on a niche site should still take you to his/her profile on HubPages.com where you can follow him/her as usual.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christy, it's not working the way you just described. I tried it both signed in and not signed in on the niche site. In both cases clicking on the Hubber's profile simply shows a pop up of their profile description from HubPages.com. It does not provide any way of following and it does not bring one to the profile on HubPages.com.

2. EricDockett profile image97
            EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christy: As Glenn noted, clicking the Hubber's name on one of the niche sites only brings up a pop-up with profile text. You then need to click on the Hubber's name again (in the pop-up) to get to their actual profile where you can follow and see the rest of the their work.

It seems unlikely that many visitors will click the second time, thinking instead the pop-up is all they are going to get.

Thanks! I would never have figured that one out! And if I was just a casual visitor, not a hubber, I wouldn't have gotten as far as asking.

Needs a bit of fixing? Yeah, I think so. The new sites aren't supposed to LOSE our audience, right?

3. Glenn Stok profile image96

Christy, I agree with Eric. It's unlikely that visitors will click a second time to get to a Hubber's profile. I didn't even realize that was a way to get to their profile until I read what Eric wrote in his comment. I'm the kind of person who experiments with all possibilities, and yet I still missed it. I doubt visitors will know that. And they definitely will not experiment. It should require just one click, as it is on HubPages.com itself.

Thanks Glenn and Eric, it sounds like this might be a bug. I'll look into it.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92

I checked in with the rest of the Team and the overlay still links to the Hubber's profile (which is how you would follow him/her). We open the mini bio in an overlay in order to have a consistent user experience where the reader is not taken to HubPages out of the blue when that person was under the impression they were browsing a particular topic-specific site.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
                paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention the fact that doing a link from the hub to the HubPages domain would have resulted in PetHelpful having over a 1000 direct links to HubPages; definitely not a good idea. When I killed off 95% of the HubPages links on my website sometime back, my website traffic literally doubled within a month and has remained so ever since; I kid you not. Yep, multiple links to a Panda embargoed site is indeed a screaming SEO no-no.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

paradigmsearch, Good point! Based on Christy's reply and your explanation with SEO concerns of links back to HubPages, I think the design of the niche sites has been well thought out.

2. ryanpugs profile image61
                  ryanpugsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It shouldn't be a problem if the links have the nofollow attribute. It would be a big problem if they are passing juice.

2. Lionrhod profile image78

Yes, but if you need to click more than once to follow (or even find out that's possible)...bad move.
                It's an internet standard that you NEVER force someone to click extra times to get them to do something you want them to do.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

The niche sites are for the search engines, the whole search engines, and nothing but the search engines. The rest of it can basically go hang. Such is my take. big_smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So succinct. Para, you do have a way with words! lol

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

On a different, but niche-related note, I sincerely hope 'bellatory' has some kind of meaning to Americans or to some significant group. I wouldn't even know how to pronounce it.

My associations come up with:

battery
    belatedly
    a beast from a medieval bestiary

edit: Just found this is in an ancient tome:

'A Bellatory ravaged the lands of Thrace in that year and the people fled before it'

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm worried about the domain names too! It's not that hard to find decent ones if you put in some effort, seems HubPages hasn't.

1. gerimcclym profile image95
        gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps hubbers who write on beauty or fashion (or even hubbers who don't) and aren't happy with the current name for the niche site can propose other names...

I don't currently have any hubs on beauty or fashion, but I propose....

BellĂ­sima  smile

Other suggestions....?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bellatory is live, there's no way they're going to change the name now

In this case, it would be great to be given a say in the new niche site names before they are live. I would love for us, hubbers, to have the opportunity to vote among various names proposed by HP for each new niche site OR to offer our suggestions for the new niche site names and then vote among the options. I will contact HP directly with this suggestion. Perhaps this has been brought up in another thread...

Excellent idea. With names like "Bellatory" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean) it seems like the folks in charge need a bit of marketing help. Then again, I suppose it depends on what domain names are available too.

I might work on a few articles for the pet site, but much as I love pets, that's not my main focus right now in my writing.

As for tattoos...I don't have one, don't want one. Can't imagine writing about them.

Question - IF you plan on writing for a specific site, is there a way to submit TOWARDS that one as a preference?

I hope they get around to some niche sites that are more relevant to my writing AND AREN'T OVERDONE every other site on the web ( such crafts, travel, cooking, etc). A pagan site? A writing site? (Guess I won't hold my breath.)

yes, the domain availability would matter, and I think Bellisima is taken anyway. Another hubber suggested BellaMia which I think sounds appropriately beautiful (and fashionable) but in any event, Bellatory it is...

I don't know if we will eventually will be able to submit our hubs directly towards specific niche sites...it would be great if we could, and I suspect this may have been addressed at some point. It's hard for me to keep up with all the changes...

Also, to address your concern about niche sites that are more relevant to your writing topics, I believe that HP has indicated that there will be niche sites to cover most (if not all) topics currently covered on the main site.

We'll have to wait and see how things develop...

Glad to hear about the niche sites covering everything. I agree that it'd be great if we could submit directly, though that might be HP's method of quality control for the niches. Keep everything on HP that isn't the best and the niche sites may do better. And eventually phase out HP itself?

Hate to see that, but it could be a possibility. As Google may de-rank anything that doesn't end up on the niches, and writers who want their articles to rank well and may well move them to their own sites. Leading to a further downslide.

I don't mean to be the harbinger of doom, but I could see it playing out that way. Maybe it won't.

I realize that they're starting out by looking at newer hubs. I hope that eventually older hubs could at least APPLY to go on the new sites..

1. Solaras profile image96
                    Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You "apply" by updating your hub. Then it may get a look see.

2. Solaras profile image96
                Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about a pagan site, but a paranormal site that included pagan, wicca etc might be possible.  There used to be a lot of paranormal traffic here.  I don't know if it still draws the way it used to.

2. profile image0
        Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You seem surprised by that, Marissa.

2. gerimcclym profile image95

Lol. Yes, and it also brings to mind "predatory" and "territory".

Not an appealing name for a niche site.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bella-Tory = beautiful Tory
        Well I suppose it might appeal to those who support David Cameron, and similarly will probably repel those who hate him...

I read that our beautiful Conservative features "skin, hair, and fashion mavens"
        Maven is one of those odd words that practically nobody uses except when playing Scrabble big_smile
        Certainly I have never heard it said by anyone in more than 60 years of life.

1. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There were once Whigs and Tories in the US. The Whigs were the insurrectionists and the Tories were the loyal Royalists during the American Revolution.

I would be amazed if 1 per cent of Americans have ever heard of a Tory, though.

3. ryanpugs profile image61
      ryanpugsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In fairness to Hubpages, fashion is probably one of the more competitive niches so probably pretty difficult to find decent available domains.

I did contact Paul Edmondson and offer my assistance (free of charge), because I basically move in domaining circles and would have been happy to put feelers out to see what I could find at wholesale / trade prices.

He replied that they'd already acquired domains for most niches.

Ultimately the domain name isn't going to matter from a search perspective, and the short term goal is to clearly try and lift some content out of whatever algorithms are currently holding the site down.

But in terms of a longer term strategy of developing a following and these sites standing on their own two feet as individual and distinct brands with  a regular readership..... I think it certainly does matter then.

That said, if they succeed and hubpages finds that it can spend some money then changing the domain name for the more successful sites isn't going to be all that difficult, presumably the redirects from hubpages just go to the new domain and then any links leading to the current niche domains are also redirecting to a new domain.

Perhaps the point here is that Hubpages is going to launch dozens of niche sites, and then allocate their time time and new capital pro-rata into those which prove successful. Understandable really.

Perhaps those which work will evolve and those which don't wont.

Google robots aren't going to care less about the domain as long as its a .com and not a three or four word exact match domain.

4. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 8 years ago

Bellatory? Is that an actual suggestion or a joke? Bellisima is far better, I agree, though I personally am not the person to talk about fashion or beauty or anything close. Unless gray hair and broomstick cotton skirts suddenly becomes fashionable.
    Meanwhile,can we hope for some sites that are relevant coming up?
    Fashion,travel,finance,TV, music, painting your nails, anything that is OPTIONAL and costs more than $20. NOT freaking relevant in my life.
    Food, pets, writing, yes, relevant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)