I just got snipped.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

Figure that one out:)

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Probably means the Hub is about to be moved to one of the niche sites.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yup and it is a brand new one.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think you're right as that is what happened to one of mine they snipped.  All they did was remove a link and left everything else, as far as I could tell.  Then a little while later I received a notification it had been moved to one of the new sites.  It still remains on your HP page, but under topic, it indicates the new site. 

HP is saying that only the highest quality hubs are being chosen for the new sites, so that is a good compliment, and it will remain on your HP page too.

It is pretty painless.

2. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did they tell you which niche hub they are moving your hub to yet! It's kind of neat, as long as they didn't "snip" too much. So far they have left my text alone. They say they take the best written hubs to start with. Best of luck.

No but it is pretty obvious though as I write mostly in my niche subject.

3. Anthony Altorenna profile image96
      Anthony Altorennaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  None of the text was changed, just the Amazon module was removed.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm finding that when that happens, even text in the body that refers to the module is not changed.  It will now refer to something that isn't there.

I often do that - mention the module or product in the text - and have had to check for missing modules through quite a few "snippings".

Yes I think it is essential.  All the examples on staff hubs do the same.  I think the ads are likely to be snipped if they don't mention something relevant about the products you are adding.  In lots of cases they use Amazon links instead of modules.

2. sallybea profile image96

Me too, one Amazon module was removed.  One still remains.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They left one of yours? I wouldn't tell anyone if I was you. They'll be jealous. big_smile

I think that staff may be able to determine which Amazon ads have converted to sales. Unfortunately we can only do the same with our e-Bay stats.  I think snipping is not done by some computer system and even that might be savvy enough to realise which hubs have converted to sales.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Better to have been snipped and lost than to have never been snipped at all.

3. FlourishAnyway profile image95
    FlourishAnywayposted 8 years ago

Snipped?  They say it's just a love bite.

Such a weird expression, take a look at the word in the 'urban dictionary'  Think a less graphic one would have been a better substitute.  Call me old fashioned or what!smile.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

Oh my! I thought at first you are circumcised.  Lol

A physical impossibility, thank goodness:)

Different subject. Do you use Threaded or Chronological in the forums?

I seem to be set on Chronological.  Maybe I should experiment with threaded.

Chronological is indeed best.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

No! Don't!  It's horribly confusing and the "edit the quote" feature doesn't work

5. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 8 years ago

I just recently sent an email to HubPages about this after one of my hubs was 'snipped'. I really don't like having this done without prior notice or consultation, and it doesn't seem to be all that easy to reverse the process either - It's not just a simple matter of rejecting the changes. It takes time to change the hub back, as one has to re-input the original text.

On my hub the title was changed in a way which now makes it a less accurate description of the content, and references at the end of the hub were removed. These references both facilitate further reading by any who wish to know more about the subject, and to an extent authenticate the information given in the article by giving the sources used.

At least the main body of the text is not being tampered with, but even so it seems fundamentally wrong that our work should be altered in this way without agreement. I haven't heard back yet from the staff, but I hope it is possible in future to make this a process which is more consultative, or which can be opted out from. (I have already opted out of editing with HubPro Premium, but that does not prevent this 'snipping' process).

I don't think we have an option anymore to opt out of HubPro Premium.  I can live with the change so far, removing one Amazon hub was fine, but would prefer to have one Amazon and one E-Bay Ad on all of my hubs.  That way there is the potential to make a sale from one or the other.

1. purl3agony profile image94
        purl3agonyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,

Congrats on your snip smile  I also got a message that one of my hubs has been snipped.  The editors seemed to have made minimum changes on my hub, so I'm fine with it.  I'm surprised that they have chosen this hub of mine, but whatever.

As I see it moving forward, you either let HP do what they want with your hubs, or you move them off the site to some other place. 

I'm willing to see what happens with these niche site.  But having said that, I'm also saving copies of all my hubs in case I want to pull them and move them to my own blog.

Congrats to you too Donna.   Fingers crossed that there will be no need for us to move our hubs.  I probably would not bother, think I would start afresh with exciting new images and fresh text on my own site should this fail.

2. Kylyssa profile image90
          Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm surprised by the hubs of mine they chose, too. They chose what I feel is my one of my worst dessert hubs, one I considered deleting or moving, to go on Delishably but have left my food hubs that are much better (some of which have gone sub-viral in the past as lenses) on HubPages.

2. purl3agony profile image94

Ok, now I do have a problem with their snipping.  They removed the copyright from my hub/pattern.  This doesn't seem right.  When I tried to insert the HP-approved copyright, it doesn't show up on my snipped hub. 

To HP:  with knitting patterns, it is common to put in the copyright that the pattern belongs to the author/designer and is not meant for commercial use.  I think HP should allow us some tailoring to the copyright notice depending on our "niche".

Hi Donna,
          I think I would write to staff and explain the position.  This clearly needs some clarification.  The copying of patterns is a problem, especially if you are relying on your own patterns for an income.  I see it happening all the time on Etsy.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think it would depend where you put the copyright - but personally, I wouldn't be putting anything on HubPages that I wanted to protect.

HubPages is one of the biggest targets on the internet for content thieves, especially now that so many other writing sites have closed down.  You can almost guarantee your patterns will be reproduced on other sites, and even translated into other languages. Those thieves won't let a copyright notice stop them!

If you have content you don't want to risk being stolen, you need to put it on a site of your own.  It's much less likely to be stolen there.

1. purl3agony profile image94

True, you can never protect your work (or anything else) from people who are willing to break the law.  However, you can *inform* law-abiding folks of your ownership of your work.  I've had lots of people contact me, asking to use my patterns for charity knitting or for classes.  They asked because I put in my copyright notice to ask for permission before copying my pattern for commercial use.  This is standard language in most knitting patterns.

6. FlourishAnyway profile image95
    FlourishAnywayposted 8 years ago

There is no option.  Snipping is mandatory.

https://i.imgflip.com/128dk6.jpg

1. FlourishAnyway profile image95
        FlourishAnywayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one!

Let's sell it to HP to put in the Learning Center. We'll split the proceeds 50:50.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)