Where the Hell did good Grammar go?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 7 years ago

OK, This is a rant.
    But, really people! If you want to present yourself to the world using your writings, then at least take the time to use good grammar with what you write.
    And, you bleeding hearts who want to pity the persons who writes unintelligible garbage here on HP, just shut up, will you?
    You're the one's who think that if we keep dropping our nations education standards and graduate more and more people who can barely read and write, into the nation's workforce, their lack of skills can be offset by raising the minimum wage, so they can eat.
    Well, stop it!
    You have screwed up the lives of millions of young Americans by dumping them out of the doors of our schools every year.
    Honestly, do you think putting a computerized cash register in our fast food restaurants that automatically releases the right change to the customer, because the kid doesn't have the basic math skills to make the right change themselves, does these kids any good at all?
    Do you think letting these uneducated kids loose into the workforce who cannot construct a proper sentence? It's called a communication skill, Fool! And these kids can't communicate.
    And, now, every year, I see more and more young people who can barely write on HP doing their best to "be a writer", when nobody ever taught them how to communicate with a pen or keyboard.
    So, what can we do about this problem?
    In my opinion, we need to start treating the problem with "Hard Love".
    By that I mean, we need to clean our HP house, along with the rest of the places these uneducated people are trying to survive.
    We need to reject ALL poor quality writing and call it what it is; Junk! Unreadable! Unenjoyable! and not worth wasting our time reading.
    There!
    The truth is a terrible meal to eat, but let's all start rejecting these examples of what I can safely call, TRASH.
    Let's demand that HP work at making itself a Quality writers site. I mean, with all of the changes we are seeing within HP, it seems to me that the Great Google is saying the same thing as me, but they are doing it with their own tools for rejecting bad writing.
    Nuff said!
    DON

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Have you been Hub Hopping again?

Don Bobbittposted 7 years agoin reply to this

(Red-faced) Um! Yeah!
        LOL! DOn

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don, it has been alarming to watch the US ranking in education spiral from number 1 to the current position of number 20.  This of course depends on which website is providing the ranking information.

I, and many others believe the dumbing down of America was planned and executed by our own government.  The reason for this being it is far easier to control uneducated citizens than those with proper educations.

I would hope this is not true but the decline in educational standards has been escalating since Government became involved.  Name even one Government run program that runs efficiently and I'll buy you a steak dinner.

I seriously doubt HP would want to get involved in screening the quality of writing, and rejecting those hubs that don't make the cut.  They seem to only censor hubs that disagree with their left leaning philosophy.

It is a shame we let our educational system continue to fall further behind other nations, in spite of our high cost per student.  Many other countries spend less per student than we do, so that tells me that money is not the problem.

I believe if we got the Feds out of our education system and turned it back over to the states we would see almost instant improvement.

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sure, Poolman.  The globalists are all about putting us into a high-tech run system so that they can control us.  Could it really be that the technocracy elites want to rule supreme by dumbing down the populations, making them dependent and entitled?  Gasp! 

The New Holocaust: Medical errors are now the 3rd leading cause of death in the US.  Why is that?  The procedures used? Is it because computers are deciding what prescriptions to give patients? The drugs? Vaccines? Is it because medical students are not being taught higher education, but instead are being dumbed down, too?  Something is seriously wrong with the education system, not the students who become doctors themselves. 
        ------------------
        I will not go hub-hooping, I will not go hub-hooping, I will not go hub-hooping...  Write that 100 times, Don.   wink    I agree, I cannot read poorly written hubs.

3. Carb Diva profile image94
      Carb Divaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don, here is a frightening thought. Those same people who could not construct a decent sentence to save their lives are the same people who Hub hop and rate OUR writings. (They probably vote in the General Election too!).

Carb Diva,
        God knows I am not a writer who can claim any high ground in the quality of my own writings. I can only claim to be an average writer who continues to learn and grow my craft.
        BUT, AS A READER, i can be so very, very critical of what HP is putting on THEIR site for the world to read. SHAME ON THEM!
        DON

4. Don Bobbitt profile image83

OK, Let me repeat myself!
      The great writers of timeless works do not put down low-quality combinations of words that are placed together haphazardly.
      Their works are well written. PERIOD!
      If you just want to write low quality CRAP, please go start yourself a free Blog somewhere, and let's get HP to be a more discerning filter for us all.
      Sure, it's hard to write well.
      That's my point.
      It should not be easy.
      A writer uses words to paint pictures for the mind.
      A Hack throws something together in an effort to make a few pennies, and damn taking the time to edit and re-edit until it reads well.
      I'm just tired of seeing so many poorly written articles or whatever these "Hacks" call their submissions to HP getting accepted.
      And, By the Way, I am not criticizing any specific people here on HP. I am not uyour critic, I am HP's critic.
      DON

5. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don, being an editor, I cringe at some of these hubs. I think we lost sight of education in the 1960s. Instead of bringing education levels up so even the poorest of the poor could get a good education, we brought them down to the levels of the poor students and the poor schools.
      I'm lucky in that I got a good education in what the school system offered. I'm unlucky in that the choice wasn't very broad. Just as I was graduating, our district started getting in some late 20th century subjects. I marvel now that these kids are learning to read at 3 years old and taking calculus in the 4th grade. BUT this is just the cream of the crop. Today's education system is taking the top percentages and putting them into charter schools and leaving the poorer students behind. My point of this soliloquy is that I think we are seeing the results of some of the "left behinds" trying to catch up.
      Wouldn't it be nice if some of these writer websites offered Free online writing classes to help some of these people who have good ideas, but little ability to express them? Then it would be even nicer if these wannabe writers took advantage of them. I've met up with some who are arrogant and defensive about their lack of writing skills and think they are just fine as is.

Mizbejabbers-
        We agree on one thing, for sure.
        The world wide web really needs some sites that have online classes for people who want to improve their communication skills.
        And that's part of my point about HP. They are in a bloody battle for their own (and thus our) survival, and I, like so many of us old-time Hubbers, are sitting back and waiting for them to make the intelligent decisions we can all profit from.
        One thing that's obvious to me is; with HP starting so many new "niche" sites, what's wrong with taking a longer view and start cultivating these new writers by offering one with online tutorials.
        In fact, it seems to me that some of these courses could get acceptance by some Colleges as some point in the future, if they are designed appropriately.
        DON

6. thatsprettygood profile image77
      thatsprettygoodposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I find myself so wrapped up with the content and structure that I lapse in this area. I am trying to get better. My first language at this point is algorithm based. So my handwriting, as well as grammar,  has suffered tremendously.  I get your point though and I do concur. This is an area most of us could work on. A lot of times I am so happy to explain something so technically that it is being understood by novice readers,  I forget to even read over my Hub before publishing. Anyhow, good rant and I'll try to be more mindful of these concepts in future postings.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

But dear, for to what refers to you saying? I am proudly Hubbing one year! But saddly when I write seventeen Hubs today only one Hub pass QAP. What means QAP? Can you plz halp!

...I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. big_smile

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

FatFreddysCat is that QAP or CRAP?

3. Sam Montana profile image81
    Sam Montanaposted 7 years ago

Some of the articles are so badly written, I almost feel sorry for the person.

It is so easy just to run any article through a free online grammar checker.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sam Montana, if you and Don are including me in your observation of the misuse of grammatical terms and words on HP, then please do not do this. I do my best. Sure, and like you, Don, and the entire HP stable of writers, DO and will make mistakes.
      If there be a perfect hub or hubber, I want to meet them.
      And now I apologize for sound so self-righteous. I am not that in anyone's book.
      I just get defensive at times.

1. Sam Montana profile image81
        Sam Montanaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kenneth, no, I just read one of your articles for the first time. The driving your barber crazy article and it looks fine.

There are some articles on here that are really messed up. With a score of 80, I don't think you have to worry about your articles.

Not to mention, grammar is actually very hard. On another site I write, I have to go through very strict editors, and I always worry about even the proper placement of a comma.

@ Sam Montana,
          Thanks so much for your reply. I admit, and so did my former editor at the newspaper I worked for, that I need a class in punctuation, and I respect your views. I promise to try to do better.
          And thanks for the compliment on the barber hub.
          I can breathe now.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

Kenneth, remember that there are basic punctuation set in stone and there are styles of punctuation that are arbitrary. Some people want to quibble over a style as if it were a basic rule. Hey, Kiddo, just get yourself an AP stylebook (from the newspaper) or if you want to invest the money, the Chicago Manual of Style, and if somebody questions or criticizes your punctuation, you will have THE AUTHORITY to fall back on. Love, Miz B.

1. profile image0
              jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone, please excuse me butting in here, but there is a serious side to this punctuation debate.

Just quoting part of a report in one of our newspapers here, to show you how incorrect punctuation and grammar can alter the meaning of a sentence:

"...the US counterintelligence chief ended up handcuffing a suspect after a car rammed into the restaurant where he was having lunch and burst into flames."

This sentence, read verbatim, says the counterintelligence chief burst into flame!  We all know that was not the intention of the writer.  But our English language, whether it be the American version or any other, depends to a large extent on accuracy of grammar and punctuation.  If young people are not being taught, then is it the fault of adults who have never been taught either?  Or is it laziness?  Or is it simply being unaware of the importance?

The objective for any language is to convey a meaning, most often a fact; it's communication at its most basic.  If it inadvertently conveys an error, then something must be corrected.....don't you think?

jonnycomelately,
                You are right. Young people do need more, accurate teaching on the fundamentals of punctuation. Unless the writers at Sports Illustrated have changed, the last stories I read in this fine magazine, started with comma's at just about every six words, which I wondered, where does this sentence end?
                See what I mean?

2. Rupert Taylor profile image96
          Rupert Taylorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sam - Going off topic, but what is this site with strict editorial oversight? I would like to try my hand there because I find a lot of what gets on to HubPages is dreck and I'm concerned about being associated with it.

These are all commercial sites, where you write for clients.These are not places where you can just write your own topics or articles. I don't know of any content sites anymore other than HP where a person can write about their own topics.

1. Rupert Taylor profile image96
              Rupert Taylorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

Kenneth, it just ain't right for you to get plumb defensive. You shure do write good!

4. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

HubPages has always seemed to have a mission statement that conflicts with itself more and more as the internet evolves. I don't know what their actual mission statement is, but two important aspects have always appeared to be:

1. Allow anybody a chance to publish online.

2. Run a profitable business.

Seth Godin used to write about the elimination of the gatekeeper from publishing, both in print and online. It was the new order of things a few years ago, and sites like Squidoo and HubPages offered opportunities for thousands of people, myself included.

But things have changed in many ways. Competition is tougher. Writers have more options. Search engines are smarter. Sites like HubPages can no longer allow anyone to publish anything and still expect to succeed.

HubPages could solve the problem by kicking people off the site or somehow lowering the boom on the grammatically impaired. But that would directly conflict with #1 up there. Instead, the gate remains open, and we have the Learning Center and the quality control process, which ought to be enough for people to get the hint. Of course some people catch on faster than others.

Frankly, I worry about this much less these days than I did before the niche sites. Bad content that somehow manages to slip through the QAP isn't going to make the cut to a niche site.

Anyway, that's why we see so much low-quality nonsense published here.  I can speculate on the failings of our educational system and the willful stupidity of people in general, but that's unhelpful in the context of HubPages. Plus it's Friday, and I want to remain in a cheerful mood if I can.

5. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 7 years ago

and, and.... what about Velcro closures on shoes??? Kids need to learn how to tie their shoes... aghhhh, what is the world coming to??? What next. Clear doors on refrigerators??

And . . .water that is pre-boiled.

6. firstcookbooklady profile image85

yeah, but they had a native American writer check their work. Um, really. I couldn't even write this sentence without the spell checker changing the a in American from a small a to a capital A. They have no excuses...

@ firstcookbooklady . . . do not fret. I have the same trouble: Proper nouns. But maybe I could hire myself a "slacker" teen who loves to sleep all day and maybe work half an hour ever so often.

7. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 7 years ago

The problem with bad grammar, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and other elements of good writing on Hubpages is related to two major trends in society today.
    One, many people like to write in the same manner that they text.  For example, I is seldom capitalized and "r" is used for the word are.  Two, political correctness seems to place a taboo on proof reading.  I have read articles from the Huffington Post accusing proof readers and editors as being racist and even fascist by criticizing and correcting the grammatical errors of minorities and lower educated people.

That reminds me of an article I read the other day on a health website. The article was about the different uses of miso, and the first subheading in big bold letters was, "WTF is Miso." I really couldn't believe someone wrote that in an article.

8. firstcookbooklady profile image85

Yes. I have heard the awful story that was told about grandma being saved from being eaten by a comma. Many writers have committed murder by pen. It's a jungle out there.

9. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 7 years ago

Sam, Don't blink because what we are seeing is the evolution of many words in our English language into the popular acronyms popular on social media and texting sites. WTF and a number of others have become popular ways for people on the go to state their emotions without using all of the characters of words. Some of the ones that even I use are; LOL (Laugh out loud), U (you), frm (from), luk (look), LMAO (laugh my Ass off), BTW (by the way), 2 (to or too), C (see, sea), B (be, bee), R (are), to name a few. Also the dropping of the vowels saves many people a little typing time.

10. aware profile image67
    awareposted 7 years ago

If you comprehend the  sentence. It's  written right. Telepathy is coming.  . Eye sea .

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Know.   He hoo leev tele on pathy trip n fall.  Sea wot i meen?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)