The "Time for Truth Game"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. kenneth avery profile image79
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

In a few words, please reveal "the" best and "the" worst (in your opinion) hubs of your overall career?
    I will be daring and go first.
    My Best: "In Praise of The Old Front Porch"
    My Worst: "How I Learned The Facts of Life From Uncle Dow's Girly Books"
    Now who's next?

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One of my best is one of my first, Accenting Southern: A Comfortable Heritage, based on the fun I had writing it and responses to it.  I think one of my worst is OtterBox Defender: iPhone Protection, partly I'm sure, because writing product promotions isn't my favorite sort of writing.

kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@R Talloni, I think that I remember the Accenting Southern hub and it was quite enjoyable. The OtterBox hub was informative also. I understand your feeling of writing production promotions not being your favorite sort of writing, but the hub was also quite informative.

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image96
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kenneth! Great question.
      One of my best hub is "Lovebirds' Egg-Laying Process". Till now it got the highest traffic from Google out of all my hubs and this has made me very happy. smile

My worst hub is one from my "newly arrived" days here. It is called "History and Culture of Kuwait. The hub was informative but too long and messy, if I may add.

@smile Sakina,
        Ahh, yes. I remember the lovebirds egg-laying process hub. That one was fun and very informative.
        Why is your 'History and Culture of Kuwait' too long and messy?
        I am just wondering.

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image96

Hi Kenneth! smile

Thanks for the compliment. Actually, I wrote that when I newly joined here. So, I had no idea back then about "beauty" of a hub. I had crammed too many facts and lots of images. I need to split that one into 2 hubs or shorten it.

@ smile Sakina,
            You are not only a VeryTalented Writer, but a very Wise Young Woman too. You should go far on HubPages.

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image96

Thank you so much!  That means a lot. Really! smile

smile @ Sakina, I meant every word.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth,
      Since I am not a judge I can not say which of mine is best since they all center around bringing understanding where there was previously none. Everyone that DID meet featured I consider best equally. 

All that met publication standards are equally mediocre and any that DID NOT meet publication standards at all are my worst equally.

@TheONatureBoy,
        I understand.

4. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just read "in Praise of the Old Fromt Porch" and it is an excellent hub, Kenneth. I thought I had read it before but obviously had it confused with another. Well done.

@Jodah,
        "Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input, suggestions, and other ways that you tell me in order for me to improve."
        "That piece did bring back a lot of good memories."
        "Thanks again, Jodah."

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My best is the one I'm the most proud of; "I Wish I'd Known This When I First Went to College!"  It is also the one that has been the most read.  When I first published it, it got the lowest score I ever got on any hub; 42.  It now ranks in the 70s, though it has gotten as high as 91.

@smile Say Yes To Life,
        Congratulations! I like for hubbers to share good news and in your case, great news.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
        Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kenneth Avery.  I believe my worst hub is "Bullying, its Causes, and How to Deal with It".  That is because I'm still in the process of figuring that out.  But it's published, so it can't be that bad.

2. Luke Holm profile image87
    Luke Holmposted 7 years ago

I guess my "best" is probably the one I put most research into: "How to Build Trump's Wall."
    My "worst" is one I feel didn't make the sort of difference I had hoped: "Suicide Awareness."

@Luke,
      Your "worst" was Suicide Awareness? I would venture to say that this one  should have soared.

1. Luke Holm profile image87
        Luke Holmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the fact that I have low followers made it not take hold as much.  Also, I interpreted "worse" as which was worse in my opinion. I felt this one was my worst because it didn't live up to my expectations. I didn't feel like it captured the dire need of suicide awareness that I was going for. In that sense, I failed. Thanks for the kind words, though. This was a fun question to think about and answer smile

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years ago

My least favorite hub is a recipe hub - out of desperation for something new to post, I weeded my lawn and created (and photographed) a dandelion salad. I guess I can be thankful I had a good crop of weeds that year. (Hangs head in shame...).

I don't know what would be the "best" but there are a few I particularly like. I wrote one on the decline of bees, which includes some of the best photos I've ever taken. Two others were somewhat therapeutic to write & both get good traffic - a hub about identifying stalkers & one about identifying online con artists.

For other reasons, I feel good about the hubs I wrote on HIV, which is a disease many do not understand. I used to manage the HIV clinic in my city, and from the traffic they (the hubs) get, I feel they have helped people.

Sorry for breaking the rules on the number of hubs to mention!

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

Hi, Kenneth. This is a good question that leads us to evaluate our work. I feel my best (going on comments) is probably actually two in a series "A Story Never Written" and "Keto and the Falcon."  My worst in my opinion, is probably "The Monster Lurks" because it is based on a short story I wrote while still at school, so hopefully, my writing has improved since then.

1. Jodah profile image92

That said, I don't think there is any correlation between one's best and worst hubs and their corresponding hub scores. They vary too much.

5. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 7 years ago

I'm torn between several hubs as my "best" hubs, but my hands-down winner for worst hub is a real standout. I wrote it for some challenge or other back on Squidoo. I occasionally took some of those challenges to force me outside my comfort zone. Well, you can probably go through my entire library of hubs and pick out every single hub I made for one of them. They are the hubs that suck the most. The biggest sucker is "Would You Stop Writing for a Million Dollars?"

My tied-for-best hubs are on the topic of homelessness. Three have been purchased by educational publishers and one of them inspired a least a few people to create actual charities. That's what other people have chosen as my best hubs. My craft hubs are my best hubs according to their views. I think my actual best hub is something else, but that's probably just vanity speaking.

6. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

I think my best isn't an individual hub, but a group of them. They touch my heart because there ones I or love ones are directly affected by. My hope is to bring awareness to more people. My worst, I am not sure. I work on my hubs almost daily and improve them constantly. I don't have any that aren't featured. But I haven't written many yet either. I am still learning and renewing my love of writing. I have gotten help for 2 hubs, and I am thankful people are willing to help. Maybe those I would consider my worst, since I needed help to pass.

@Terrielynn1,
      I am as near as your keyboard to offer what help I can to you for I love to see fellow hubbers experience success.
      Hang tough and if you need me . . .remember this post.

1. Terrielynn1 profile image85
        Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awe, thank you. That is very kind.

@smile Terrielynn1,
          I checked your hubs and read the one that stood out to me. I left you a comment and became one of your followers.
          You are a very talented girl and never "hide your light under a bushel."

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image96

@Terrielynn1

Hi! smile I would love to help too.

3. Jodah profile image92

Terrielynne, as all your hubs are featured, maybe it should be us asking you for help smile me anyway. I had all my hubs featured for my first Five years at HubPages but now about a sixth of them are unfeatured due to engagement. I guess the more hubs you have the harder it is to keep updating them all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)