Trump visits Trump properties 1 out of 3 days he has been president

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

Does he serve our country or himself?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol … 2bff1ce224

1. dianetrotter profile image62
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And he profits from his safety entourage sleeping, eating, and using facilities.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You sure nailed that one! It hadn't occurred to me.

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

All owned by Trump.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would you suggest that they stay a mile away?  Think that would satisfy our requirement for protection?

1. profile image0

I suggest that Trump and his supporters own up to the fact that he has a massive conflict of interest and stop evading the obvious truth.

If he truly has a conflict of interest he needs to be jailed.

If, on the other hand, liberals see what could turn into a conflict of interest they need to keep their mouth shut and quit making claims they cannot support.

1. Credence2 profile image77
                Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Claims that cannot be supported? Seems like Trump made such a claim about Obama illegally wiretapping his communications, does that qualify?

The govt. collect recordings of him/group on the phone.  Call it whatever you wish, but don't forget it happened.

2. profile image0

The claims are supported by the eyes of all responsible citizens. We simply watch him get on Air Force One every weekend to fly to his resorts and parade around in public with foreign dignitaries who have to pay to stay there.

All for the sake of promoting his resorts. All at taxpayer expense.

3. wilderness profile image94

Before we get all angry at the location they stay at, is it more costly than arrangements that would have been chosen for other Presidents?  Does the country save money by using Trump's facilities?  Or should we ignore that so we can gripe about it anyway?

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

From what I have read, it actually saves us money by the President staying at his own property.  It would be out of character for Trump to go stay for two weeks at Martha's Vineyard.

However, the government has been well known for over priced wasteful spending. Taxpayers have had concerns about that for many years, and I am one of them.  I have no idea how we can rein that in, except to vote in people who want that to change.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You make a good point, but it's the same point I'm making.   Trump is the President, not the CEO of a business.

If he was just a business owner, he would be expected to go and meet people at locations to suit them.   And he would be willing to pay to do that, because it's essential for his business. 

He's the President now - if he needs to meet people, 99.9% of those people would be happy to travel to the White House.  They don't expect him to come to them.

The White House is already there, fully staffed and equipped to handle guest and meetings and functions. I bet they don't sack the staff when there are no functions on!   The cook and the cleaners and everyone else are still being paid every weekend and on all the days when Trump is not there. 

So, if Trump was being conscientious and spending taxpayers' money responsibly, he would take advantage of that facilities, the way every other President before him has done - rather than spend money to duplicate those same services elsewhere. 

Whether the Trump properties are being made available at a reasonable cost or not, is not relevant. The point is that they're not necessary in the first place.

Back to what I said elsewhere - I do not expect Trump to be a prisoner in the White House.  He can come and go as he pleases (IMO) and we own him SS security - it's part and parcel of the package of being President.

While you may assume that he is on US business, I've yet to see that confirmed.  I haven't seen anything about the purpose, except insinuations that because he visited a golf course that the purpose was to play golf on his own course (something I personally do not believe).  Putting it back to "He can go where he pleases".  All I ask is that the duties of the President are fulfilled, and I don't care where he is when they are.

I will add that crying about a few hundred thousand or million for presidential security, in a budget of 4 Trillion, is silly.  It's less than .000025% of the budget.  Were it being spent for other things it might be worthy of consideration, but I think we can afford to spend 25% of 1% of 1% of our budget for our President's safety.

1. profile image0

Are you a fiscal conservative or a fiscal liberal?

conservative.  Which includes paying what is contracted for.

2. Credence2 profile image77
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have to note how ironic it is that all these rightwing posters convieniently  forget how they were constantly harping about Obama's R&R and taxpayers costs. Now, how come all that is SO different in regards to Trump, the exalted one?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Does that question even require an answer.  And this is a surprise - why?  We knew this.  We knew this.  Everybody knew this.

1. profile image0

Yep, it's a rhetorical question. But I think the article shows the magnitude of the problem.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Isn't it funny how the Trump supporters on HubPages aren't joining this thread? 

Quite apart from the publicity he's giving his own businesses, there's the fact that when he moves around, he has to be surrounded by security men - which the taxpayer has to pay for.  It's perfectly obvious that he has no operational need to be at any of these places, since previous Presidents didn't do this kind of thing.  So he's spending public money for no good reason.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Please , what a conspiring  bunch ,  Hey ........... I know ,!    Maybe he's secretly meeting with Putin to conspire against Hub Pager leftists .  They are probably taking down your names even as we  speak !
      I'm sure it can all be cleared up   , maybe organize a "safe space" for  scared hubbers ? .

2. profile image0

As reported many times, the cost is $3 million per weekend trip to his properties. At that rate, it will be $1 billion a year to fly him to his golf courses and resorts.

3. wilderness profile image94

What's to join?  A petty insinuation that because he isn't on duty and active 24 hours per day every day he isn't doing his job?

When Trump is letting the needs of the nation slide in favor of his personal interest, then bring the claim.  Until then, he's doing fine.

1. profile image0

In response to your first paragraph, that's not the point of the post or the article.

In response to the second, yes, that's exactly what he is doing.

Really?  That he takes time away from the oval office isn't what is being complained about?  What IS the point of the OP, then?

Really?  Which need is he not addressing?  Is not under consideration, is not being discussed in cabinet meetings, is not being studied on paper, etc.?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
            Dr Billy Kiddposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I hope Trump keeps up this permanent vacation. Then 24 million people won't have to worry about losing health insurance.

They don't anyway - our congress has made it clear that giving freebies away is more important than the financial health of the nation.

2. ladyguitarpicker profile image76
              ladyguitarpickerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Amen, if you are one of the 24 million it is sad. If they don't want to give freebies away,then they need to put some kind of ceiling on the price of the pill and medical. I have insurance medical and drug and now my one pill went to $ 3,000. I don't want freebies just fairness.

2. profile image0

Come on, Wilderness. The ethical and possibly legal violations can't be more obvious.

- Spending $3 million of taxpayer money every weekend so he can jet off to his resorts is in his personal interest.

- Hopping from one of his resorts to another every weekend is in his personal interest.

- Having lengthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners with foreign dignitaries in the public restaurants of his resorts is in his personal interest.

- Holding cabinet meetings at his resorts and golf courses is in his personal interest.

We pay for all of it while his companies rake in the money as a result. Or is it OK for him to act that way to someone who voted for him?

Please address the point. Is all of that money being spent in the nation's interest?

1. dianetrotter profile image62

And the prospect of "running" into POTUS or other influential peopl make people want to book suites or buy condos.  There are two ongoing lawsuits about unfair competition.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
                GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Diane, just to offer my opinion; those "lawsuits" are just BS, and the filers should have to pay the costs - everyone's costs, of their legal efforts. The point about "running into POTUS" is just human nature. Are we to the point now that we can justify crying about the reality of human nature as 'unfair'?

Geesh!

GA

2. dianetrotter profile image62

Kinda of like Obama, huh?

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not at all, Wilderness - that's not the point.  These days, it's possible to carry on business almost anywhere so while we might think it makes more sense to do your job in your office, in theory Trump could be just as connected wherever he is. 

The point is that expecting the Secret Service to protect him, and his family, in multiple different places is costing YOU extra money.  They've already asked for an extra budget to pay for it.

Also, every trip he and his family makes between these multiple properties is costing YOU money, in fuel, in entourage costs, in fees for use of the facilities etc.

If there was a strong reason why he needed to travel about so much, that would be one thing. But from what I understand, there is no presidential reason for his movements.

1. profile image0
          ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just Todays newest phony leftist issue with Trump ,  What's on  tomorrows schedule ?

2. wilderness profile image94

So we the people have agreed to provide him with security.  What we did NOT include as part of the package is a stay-at-home clause, requiring the President to remain at the White House unless on official business.  He does not need a "reason", particularly one that those that hate him will agree is a "presidential reason" for any of his travels.

So it becomes not a matter of the President failing in his duties, but a portion of "we the people" complaining about doing our part of the "contract".

1. colorfulone profile image78
            colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, we're not going to chain Trump (a 70 year old man) to a desk in the Oval Office.

The President of the United States is told pretty much how its going to be by the Secret Service for his own protection.  Trump isn't even allowed to have a cell phone from my understanding.  But, its come down to, can Trump trust the Secret Service to protect him with the intruders at the White House that have gotten so close to the President on their watch.  A Secret Service agent had their computer stolen from their car that was parked in front of their house, with the floor plans to Trump Towers and information on a Hillary Clinton investigation.   What stupid fool leaves a computer in their car with that kind of info., maybe a double agent. 

As citizens of the USA, maybe we should be asking Congress why the Secret Service is so expensive and anything else the government does is way out of line with the rest of the world.  My guess is that's the way 'they' wanted it....long before President Trump was elected. 

Maybe the President's trusted Secret Service agents are instructing him on when and where he should go to protect him.   People, celebrates, journalists have even been calling for Trump's assassination, everyday.   Maybe that is the only way wicked corrupt people will be happy? 

President Trump is not afraid though, he is a man of great courage and to be admired.  Whatever it takes, he needs to be protected.

2. profile image0

Camp David is a private retreat built specifically for Presidents that is 70 miles from the White House. Fiscally conservative Presidents fly there on a helicopter. They don't fly to Scotland on Air Force One to resorts they own for the sake of promoting them.

Camp David has security already built. It has facilities for the Secret Service. It doesn't require the Secret Service to fly thousands of miles at great expense to stay at great expense in the resorts owned by the President.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)