Moderator could you explain why you allow other people's businesses

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

to be advertised in (in question and answer) and not be removed, When in the forum section you cannot do this. So, is it okay then to promote anything of yours (book or website) as long as it is in Q&A section?

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's irrelevant. The forum rules are clear. What applies to all of us, applies to you too.

http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

"The Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting. We encourage you to avoid posting promotional or irrelevant links, be they to Hubs or external sites in which you have a vested interest."

1. profile image0
        threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I will read.
        What about q&a section tonight i saw a number of ads for MBA courses tonight. And other times its been customer service businesses with upteen ads.
        I understand rules but this doesnt seem right.
        I still have to read your link moderator. I agree- what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

1. Marketing Merit profile image94
          Marketing Meritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just flag them for review Threekeys. There does appear to be an increasing amount of spam being posted on this site at the moment.

As has already been said by TheRaggedEdge, you are not permitted to self-promote. You can post links to your website and social media in your profile. You can also make reference to the fact that you are a published author in the bio section of your hubs. However, you cannot market your business anywhere else on this site.

Hope this helps.

1. profile image0

Yes thank you.

2. theraggededge profile image96

It sounds like you are referring to the ads that HP partners place on the site. Those are the ones we earn from. They are not posted by individuals unless I'm mistaken. I don't visit the Q&A. I'm pretty sure that members aren't permitted to place self-promoting links in Q&A.

Use personal contacts, social media and your own website to promote your book, not HubPages. Try making it free for Kindle Unlimited users, then you may pick up some good reviews.

1. profile image0

Ok:)

2. Marketing Merit profile image94

Don't normally visit Q&A but Threekeys is correct. Loads of spam for MBA courses. Just spent 10 minutes flagging a lot of it. Some adding images with links in them or simply nonsensical questions.
            Most of these are posted by new members, who have no published hubs and have literally just joined.

I appreciate that genuine new members may need help, but can't help feeling that the site team needs to somehow restrict their ability to repeatedly spam the site. The MBA guy had about 10 questions posted within a matter of minutes!

1. theraggededge profile image96

Oh dear. I stand corrected. You are right, this shouldn't be allowed. I suppose that threekeys is perfectly entitled to post their link there too.

Not here though, we like it clean and tidy in here smile

Believe you are correct Bev, insofar as personal/business links are not  allowed.

However, we appear to have attracted a deluge of spammers who realise their posts are not flagged as quickly in Q&A, as they are on the forum.

[Not wishing to hijack this thread as well, but I happen to live in a neighbouring authority to yourself. Such a small world! wink ]

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's not allowed.  It's just the spammers are having more success breaking the rules in one area than they other.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Those ads are spam and should be reported to the team.  If nobody reports them, they can't be removed.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They also remove spammy Qs if you report them.  However it is harder to report them in that area, i generally go back and flag their profile with a note.

1. vocalcoach profile image93
        vocalcoachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed an increase of spam.  Personal and business links are a no-no. It's somewhat irritating when I visit a new hubber with the intention of welcoming the person and then finding that the only reason the person joined was to promote a business or product.  I report these people.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can always report them by emailing the team as well.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's not OK to promote anything.  If you see it happening, it just means it's been posted recently and the moderators haven't caught up with it yet.  They can't be everywhere all the time, so they do rely on us flagging stuff.

Can't help wondering if they're a little bit irritated with me as I have been flagging so much in the past few days! wink

However, I feel that it is important to flag these posts in order to maintain the integrity and reputation of the site, which ultimately benefits us all. I didn't realise that Q&A was being spammed so heavily until Threekeys raised the issue.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
          Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We actually really appreciate your help with flagging spam and rule violations. smile

4. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi threekeys,

This type of advertising is not permitted anywhere on HubPages. If you see posts doing it, please flag them for us. Moderators aren't always able to get to rules violations immediately, but we review every report carefully.

1. profile image0
        threekeysposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Okay, will do.

2. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

I reported a couple of then too

3. MontanaTroyBrooks profile image67
    MontanaTroyBrooksposted 6 years ago

Moderator? Looks like either some form of AI or Amazon mechanical Turk scheme to save money.
    But I agree with the promotion policy the site has and think it is good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)