How long does it take to start earning some money at HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Amie S profile image80
    Amie Sposted 6 years ago

How long does it take to start earning once the ads show up i.e after 5 of your articles are featured)?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I checked your profile and see that you are very new and only have 3 hubs so far.  If you want to earn, here are some things you need to do:

Introduce yourself on your profile page
      create well written hubs on searchable topics that have appropriate titles
      keep your articles focused on your topic
      learn a bit about using SEO
      create beautiful appropriate images, at least one of which on each post is a "made for PInterest" photo, and then post it on that site.
      Use social networking sites to market your work
      write many, many articles.

It takes time to earn here, but the sooner you start doing these things, the more likely you are to make money. How much? Who knows?  Some people never figure out how to earn here, while some are smart enough to understand how this site works and what the things are that affect readership.

Welcome to HP and good luck!

2. tomsmithnow profile image72
    tomsmithnowposted 6 years ago

It's my understanding it can take months, maybe 6 months or more to make money on here. Guess it varies from person to person regarding: your content, activity in this community, extra traffic you can bring to it, capsules you have, etc. It is my understanding there could be a lot of factors involved to determine the money you can make on here, but it is possible, and it does take time and patience.

Amie Sposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Great. Thanks.

1. profile image0
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

good job. 3 articles, and 2 got moved to 2 niche sites. YAY!!! However, you still need to make more than about 48 more articles to start earning 60 cents per day or more. i know that this isnt the time nor the place for propaganda, but look at my autism article. come to know me.

2. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It could be a couple years before you make pay out. One or two cents a day is about average.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 6 years ago

If you get a lot of traffic quickly, 3 months. If you don't get a lot of traffic quickly, it can take at least 2 years. Before I learned about keywords and how to get traffic, it had taken me 2 years to start making a payout. Before that, I'd written what I knew about but didn't understand what it took to bring in traffic.

Those are the extreme ends of the spectrum, to me. Three months to 2 years. Could take longer, could take less time. Might take 6 months or 8 months, etc.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nate pretty much sums it up.

2. Amie S profile image80

Thanks, Nate. What is a good per article score, hits etc. for it to fetch "good" traffic?

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

The score doesn't affect traffic. What gets traffic are keyphrases that people type into the search engine to look for articles. If you've created a title for your article that pretty much matches what people actually type into the search engine to search, you are liable to get traffic, depending on how many people actually use the keyphrase and how good your content is. As general advice I tend to direct people to Wrylilt's Hub on using Google Auto-Suggest to find keywords/phrases. After you've written the article and publish it, it's mainly a matter of time to see if traffic comes. You can Google the keyphrase/title to see where it is in search results. You also want to see that your traffic is actually coming from a search engine and not just other users here at Hubpages; you can find those stats here in your account or you can use Google Analytics.

How many hits you need, I'm not sure, that's hard for me to say. I'd say an article is doing well if it gets 20, really good, to me, if it gets hundreds, a day. Although, I do keep Hubs that just get little trickles of traffic, they can add up. Overall, I'd say if you are getting around 500 views a day you're probably making a payout every month. That's for all your Hubs. Of course, the more the views, the more the earnings.  I think it's a good and valid rule that you make 80 percent of your money/traffic from 20 percent of your articles.

But I'd have to say this: To me, really good traffic would be at least 1500 views, overall, a day. I have an account here that, more or less, achieves that goal. But I'm okay with around 500 a day, more or less. Some of the articles on the account that gets at least 1500 views a day has articles that get several hundred views a day, and some that get dozens and some that get several.

Thanks for the elaborate answer.

No problem.

2. JaneNew profile image48
            JaneNewposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Are you able to make money from the hubs that have no products on them?  And do you make enough to do something major like paying your rent?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

On the HP program, you earn from products but also from the number of time your pages are viewed.  So, yes, you can earn money from just page views, but you need quite a few of them to earn any amount of money worth mentioning.

A few people here have earned fair amounts of money, but they are exceptions.  The average writer here earns about $10 per month.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image91
              Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

There's been visual proof of some people making between 3-5K a month so technically yes it is possible to earn a major amount of money to pay things like rent but that's maybe 1-2% of all hubbers here.

Generally the amount of people who do well whether writing online or creating content on YouTube is incredibly small relative to the total creator base. You have to be incredibly knowledgeable, find the right niche, get lucky, and have ninja like SEO skills to make that kind of money.

Your quality and amount of content should also be very high especially quality.

1. JaneNew profile image48

Thanks for the replies.  I am still learning and want to know if the effort is worth it all.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

If you log out of your account and take a look at the front page of HubPages.com, you'll see successful Hubbers featured, with an indication of their earnings.   

There's quite a number of Hubbers who make a few hundred dollars a month.  There's a small (very small) group of Hubbers making over a thousand dollars a month.  But surveys were done year after year which showed that the average Hubber made around $10 a month.  The surveys haven't been done in a while, but there's no reason to suppose it has changed.

The bottom line is, if you are looking for a way to earn a living, writing online is probably the last thing you should consider.  It has become vastly more difficult to make a living by writing online. Back in 2011, I had several friends making a comfortable living as professional bloggers.  NOT ONE of them is still doing it.  Nowadays I know a few people who survive by blogging and writing, but they work long hours, they live frugally and they're not putting anything away for a rainy day.

Writing on sites like HubPages can be very satisfying and can pay enough to provide yourself with some indulgences now and then.  But if you want to pay your rent by writing online, then you need to run your own blog or website as well as writing freelance and on writing sites. It's a big learning curve and will take you a year or two to earn a decent amount.

1. JaneNew profile image48

Thanks, I will probably try some more here, but not depend on it.

4. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

I earned about $0.41 last month because I started the ad program late.

5. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

I have 20 articles. I can't write articles again because I'm dealing with a problem.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

What problem are you dealing with, Ivan? Do you mean trying to fix your autism article?

We all have Hubs that didn't make it to the niche sites. The best thing to do is stop worrying and move on.  You've already got one Hub moved to the niche sites so you are making good progress, just keep writing.

1. profile image0

thanks for reminding me.

6. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

As has already been said in this thread, you've got to write a lot of awesome articles that people want to read, that are informative and interesting (avoid personal opinion or talking about yourself; that's what your profile is for), post on SNS, engage in the community, and the "Earnings" number will slowly rise. Success here comes with a lot of hard work, a passion for writing, following the rules, and writing about things that others will WANT to read.

1. profile image0

i earn on average about 5 cents per day since i subscribed to the earnings program. i had 1 click on the amazon program, but no orders were placed. i have 20 articles, all of them featured, and plan to write more articles soon. it was a pleasure getting to know you guys. i hope we can be friends.

2. profile image0

poppyr. im sorry about yesterday. can we be friends?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)