Poetry/creative writing traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (24 posts)
  1. karpouzian profile image60
    karpouzianposted 14 years ago

Has anyone had any success with poetry and/or other creative writing styles?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

traffic yes but money no

does everything gotta be about money

once it is in ones hands people start acting all funny

Suddenly, they can't seem to see they need it to pay the rent

But they use it instead to buy the newest shoes

Buy the newest vanity watch, look like the people in the news

Now no money what you got? An eviction notice and nice pair of nike air jordan

Do what you like and life will never get boring

Money needs to suffice the basic needs

Everything beyond that is extra like field goal attempt

And if you attempt to make money with ease

it will be a failed attempt

so what I am saying is do what you love

hard work pays off in time have patience

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have one book published, " Poems from the Other Side of the Hot Dog Cart!" and it does fair to good at best, it is self published, and I get 2.50 a copy; so far 721 copies sold, and some good reviews. I have done book presentations with it at two local book stores and had some sales locally

The real problem is the advertising to make it hit the Poetry nitche that fits your style. Picking a Nitche or target Audience is an Art form in itself. Thats why you need real help from an agent.

People who love Poetry spend for the Books to read, but they are picky with strong preferances. They have their favorites and the styles they will experiment with. They are very litterate and usually excentric in style. You need to know the Market and the people you are writing to.

You Can not afford the money out-lay to do it right, and Publishers will look at it, if it follows their requested format, and style and fits their audience, but very few will ever respond with an offer letter. its the Old story, takes money to make money. Most want to know what you have done, who do you know (What Writers) etc...What have you published? Do you have Reviews to submitt?

You have to get your name and face out there, so go to readings, seminars, Hold an Open Book display at a Local Book Store in your City, ask a manager to set up there, make copies for the Store to sell at their profit. Get some of your books out there to be read that way, and talk to the folks. Make up a Photo resume or portfolio of your best work, to show and hand out. Some beginning writers make a brochure to hand out. make your portfolio and brochure fit a style and motif, to show your nitch of writing, and voice. It will help a lot.

Attend local open mike Poetry readings, and read your work. Exchange it with other Authors at book signings, ask them to comment. if they really like it they will offer to show it to their publisher, you can ask them. I did that with an Author who writes for Llewellyn Publishing, and one of my books is now in the hands of an Editor. Maybe it will hit?

Most people today are looking for a quick get rich hit. Poetry is a slow and steady trying, and it means word-crafting, and that takes a knowledge of Grammar, linguistics and the ability to word-smith. Developing a voice and a style is important.

With the Internet preaching garbage and the Schools teaching only how to pass achievement tests, and not the actual craft of writing, it is becoming a lost cause, and Editors know this well, from all the crap that gets submitted.

It makes it hard on a person who writes from a passion for words, and a love of Poetry, to get through the haze and garbage to get noticed.

If you are writing for just money, you will not succeed. You have to write with passion and a voice. Always thinking of the money, kills the creativity and it shows to an Editor. Word count is not always your friend, and submitting mass portfolios to all editors is deadly.

I would also advise to pay attention to what they are asking for, and fit that style completely. The back of University Quarterly reviews in the bookstore magazine racks and in the Writers mags, all have submission editors and adresses to write for rules of submission, etc.. read them carefully. Fit the style and submitt to them. Keep trying.

It is better if you can to, first contact a publishing Agent, Pay him the 75.00 fee to read it, ask him to be honest. Do you have the talent to make it go? If he thinks it is possible, he will ask you to submit to real reviews of your work.

Then edit re-read and re-edit and learn from the commentary. Once it is like He/She wants it, the agent will pimp it to major publishers, and reviews, and quarterly review mags etc... all good exposure for you, to build your name.

You will find the Internet a haven for mutual admiration groups of folks who can not stand to be edited or negatively critiqued. Ego maniacs, and chat groupies that also write. There are some good sites, but few and far to find.

If you want that social fun, then write on the net but do not expect money for it, but do expect your work to be stolen, because if it is good...it will be. Also expect those on the site of lesser talent to find something in your work, to ignore you and not let you in the click.

If you care nothing for that, and you should care nothing for it, if you are really serious, then  submit to an agent and pay him to assist you. You will get real world experience that way.

All of which you should not avoid, because it will make you a writer. If you want to publish  then do not be afraid to submit for edit and review, bad or good; and learn from the comments.

It was the Best advice I ever received and the truest. And it led to my first Book. 

Best wishes, hope this honestly helps you.
      Jon

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a poet and have written a book called "Ponder Awhile

Best Book Buys - Poetry  75,810 books

35. Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra

Best Book Buys - Poetry -Inspirational and Religious- 4,255 books

7.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra

Best Book Buys - Poetry for 2006- 6,300 books

2.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra  smile

Philosophy-Religious- 5,312 books

6.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra

Body, Mind and Spirit - Spiritualism- 2,555 books

7.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra

Franklin top ebooks from 111,959

17.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra

Franklin Top Spiritual and Religious- 2,920 books

2.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra   smile

<all links have been removed - they are not allowed>

4. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been posting my stuf here for a long time, 13 months and I have a little over 1000 views. I haven't set anything up with ads or the like so maybe that's why.

2. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Great question and look forward to the answer.  I just started spreading my wings with poetry, trying to do better and would love to know the answer to your question. (Thanks for me too).

3. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

No-one has monetary success with poetry (and this has been the case for centuries). Even Shakespeare made all his money from the production of his plays and none from his sonnets.

The particular problem monetising poetry with Adsense is that poetry uses a lot of metaphor and other writing devices. Human readers usually have to think a bit to understand what the poem is about. It's impossible for a bot.

Take Wordsworth's poem "I wandered lonely as a cloud". Adsense will probably serve up gardening ads due to mention of clouds and daffodils. But would a person reading such a poem be inclined to click on a gardening ad? No, so you won't get many clicks.

Write poetry for your own pleasure, and make money with commercial writing.

4. manlypoetryman profile image77
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Yes...or should I say I believe I will have success in my style of poetry!

I think that Poetry..."as we know it"... is an old creative form that needs to re-visited once more. Too often in school...we were given a set of older poems and poets to study and analyze. This became our concept of how a poem should be. Old and stuffy-out of date- hopelessly romantic- nonsense-frilly-flowery, etc. They failed to bring in new poems-to keep them current-to keep alive current ideas in the form of celebrated-recent Poetry! The old stuff is good...but it is old. Period. Bring on the new-file the old for another day-Poetry has a huge domain in which it could tap into...in our present society! All vocal songs originate from a type of lyrical poem. Many dramas have their roots within dramatic segments that could be presented as a poem...no doubt. And were...on many a stage...in older times!

Get out there..."Would-be" (future famous) Poet...and kick some Poetry behind! It is high time we brought poetry back to the world as the magnificent writing endeavor that it is!

Was that too "over-the-top" for an answer? !roll

1. Ladybird33 profile image65
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love your passion and I agree, let's change it!  Power of positive thinking smile Had to go there smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image77
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ladybird big_smile

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes6/animalhouse347.jpeg

"Poetry!"

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

So far no for me. I am still trying to find a literary agent for my writing. I have had some poems published on poetry.com but have given up on writing poems. Not my style I guess lol. But I do write stories that I hope to one day make into books.

I am thinking of writing a bit of some short stories or something on here.

Good luck to everyone with dreams of writing and being published. smile

6. profile image0
    MistHavenposted 14 years ago

I think it all depends on how you write the poem/creative writing piece. If you can somehow many to squeeze in relevant keywords that would evoke Ads that people might be interested in, then I think it could work.

I think it would be better to post creative writing on websites that pay you by page view like Associated Content or Bukisa. Hubpages seems to be more article driven.

But I'm still new here myself.

7. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I have to agree that poetry is very low rated both historically and on Hub Pages. My poetry hubs are the lowest scoring of all my hubs except for a couple of exceedingly short ones.
    I also agree that, at times, this seems to be more about making money and getting click-through than anything approaching creative writing.
    I do not, however, write the poetry to get a high score. I write poetry because, like manlypoetryman, it best expresses what is in my heart. I write songs for the same reason - because that is the best medium for what I wish to say...though it would probably be more accurate to say "for whatever is inside that needs to be expressed".
    The serialized novellas I have published here have done quite well in terms of views, but it is the comments I value most highly, for they show me if I am on the right track with my work.
    The web is crazy for information - bazillions of people are on-line every hour of every day looking for advice, for answers to questions they haven't even formulated yet.
    It is great to be a part of that, and yes, to make some money doing what we all love to do - write - but in this particular community, creativity is valued and appreciated as nowhere else I have seen so far, and I am glad to have found a home here.
    smile ...here endeth the epistle... wink

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Nah. No money in that. smile

But I read several writers here whenever they publish new stuff. Teresa McGurk's serial "It's Later Than You Think" is really cool:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Its-Later-Than- … rt-Sixteen

9. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

I post tonnes of poetry online.

Basically what I have learnt is that the more complex the poetry the less people want to read it.

My favourite poem of mine is mega-complex and yet people don't seem to want to read it (http://hubpages.com/hub/Green-Friday)

Some of my least favourite poems have proved most popular due to them being simple. My most famous of these was called "The Lamentations of the Afro Kid" and has been posted all over the place. Someone even made a fan club on facebook for it when it turned into a serial:

http://hubpages.com/hub/marr-poetry

10. XTASIS profile image60
    XTASISposted 14 years ago

I write nonsense poetry only for fun

11. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Poetry is a satisfaction that seldom brings money. But as a satisfaction is 1 of the best I can think of smile... Appart from women ,that is cool

12. Tadeusz598 profile image77
    Tadeusz598posted 14 years ago

I publish short stories here on hub.

I get a bit of traffic, but not a huge amount. My feeling is that people use Hub mainly for short, magazine style articles, and the most popular pieces are often "How To.." or advice based.

Alternatively I might not be marketting my stuff enough or well, or it simply isn't the sort of thing people want.

As for making money: I make none. I can't say this bothers me enormously as I have other easier ways of making a living.

The internet has totally changed making money from writing: it's impossible for me to imagine what the future holds for authors in a landscape where so much is free, and where second hand books can be bought on Amazon for a penny.

13. tiginban profile image61
    tiginbanposted 14 years ago

Success at writing is subjective. For some it's only about financial reward, for more it's about seeing their creation in print and for another lot, it's knowing that their work is adding value to the lives of others. Write on, people!

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Poetry sucks.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

bump

16. Itswritten profile image46
    Itswrittenposted 14 years ago

I  love to write poetry, it influences many thoughts thoughout the mind and the world !

17. believeinhim profile image62
    believeinhimposted 14 years ago

Poetry is great, I love it. I self-published one book, so far.
    It takes too long to go with a traditional publisher.
    I haven't made too much money, though.
    Keep writing . . . it's great therapy.
    God bless,
    Launa

18. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i suppose it depends what the word success means, my poetry is being read, and appreciated....... i am soooo happy about that, i love reading other peoples poetry ........ money is not an issue,   one day values will change, i wait patiently for that day....... and by then if i ever make money with my writing skills it will be passed on to my children.... i have no real need of money except to eat ....... a lot less than i do at the moment and to be clothed, i have too many clothes.  To be creative, and have this spring board for me is just the best thing that could have happened,,,,,,,,,  i love hub pages

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)