Will my poetry be appreciated here?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Poetic Phantomposted 2 years ago

Good day, Everyone.

My name is Zeenat. I am a new member of HubPages community. I joined just 2 days ago. I've already published eight articles, three of them has been moved to LetterPile. But there is something very depressing. I'm basically a poet. Poetry is my passion.

Today, I visited the HubPages forums. I discovered that many of the writers here do not appreciate poetry. Is HubPages a good fit for me? Will my poetry be appreciated here? Please assist.

Thank you so much!

Zeenat

1. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Some writers here appreciate poetry very much, Zeenat. (I'm one of them.) I suspect that you may not make much money if you stick to writing poetry on this site. If you want to write just for enjoyment, though, I think you'll find that a group of writers here will support you.

1. profile image0
        Poetic Phantomposted 2 years agoin reply to this

AliciaC, thank you very much for your assistance. It's fun to write poetry, but why can't one earn money doing so? I am happy that you appreciate poetry.

1. AliciaC profile image93
          AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I expect you’ll earn some money, assuming you‘ve signed up for the income program, but the income may not be large. Perhaps someone who writes only poetry here will comment. We aren’t supposed to share our exact income, but maybe they will be able to share some general information. The problem is that some people love poetry, but my impression is that many don’t, as you mentioned in your first post.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, your poem and you.

1. profile image0

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you said.....

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

I repeat "yes, your poem(s) and you" will be apprecited here.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Miebakagh!

3. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

There are people here that appreciate poetry. John Hansen, Jamie Hamann, RJ Schwartz or Tony DeLorger. Comment on one of their poems to network and connect with them. But to tell you the truth for poetry I prefer Creative Exiles. You will get more attention to your poetry there.

1. profile image0

Thank you for the guidance, Nate. I am already following John Hansen. I shall check others as well.

4. Amara Hassan profile image88
      Amara Hassanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Zeenat I will suggest you to publish your poems bit slowly, and yess..!! you can get a big group of poets here.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Amara. Yes, I was doing it in a great hurry. I shall speed down

2. theraggededge profile image87
    theraggededgeposted 2 years ago

The problem with earning money through poetry is that earnings are based on how long someone remains on the page. If they stay on the page long enough it registers as an 'impression'.

Most poems are too short for a view to count as an impression. That's why the advice is to write articles of around 1,000 words. An article of that length will attract more impressions than a poem.

Also, earnings depend on viewers reading your work in numbers. You can't get enough readers from inside HubPages; they need to find your pages via search engines. It's hard to optimize poetry for search engine traffic unless you build an article around it.

There are some writers here who do quite well with poetry and, hopefully, they will chime in to let you know how to get past the problems I mentioned.

1. profile image0

Thanks, theraggededge. Could you please guide me on how long the viewer must stay on the page in order for it to be counted as an impression?

1. theraggededge profile image87
        theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure of the exact time... it probably varies according to an algorithm. 

I would guess it is the average time the average reader would take to read 1,000 words.

Don't confuse appreciation with making money. There are many people here who will appreciate your poetry. Making money is a whole other game.

By the way, make sure the images you use are correctly licensed and cited: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

There's a ton of info at the Learning Center and in the FAQs. Click Help, top right.

Good luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you for your time. I imported those images via link. Please guide me if it is not the right way? I will visit the learning center.

1. theraggededge profile image87
            theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Images must be licensed for free use. They have to carry a Creative Commons (for commercial use) license, be clearly marked as Public Domain images, or belong to you. You can't just take them from the internet because they all belong to someone (unless PD).

That link explains it in detail smile

1. profile image0

Thank you!

3. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

We have some amazing poets here with a large following of members who appreciate poetry.  You've only been here a few days and already three of your articles have been moved to LetterPile.  That says a lot!

Keep writing.  Release your passion through your poetry.  Write for the love of creating something magnificent.  Write because you must write.

Support other poets here on hub pages.  This is a two-way street.

Welcome!

1. profile image0

Thanks, Audrey. I appreciate your kind and thoughtful words. BTW a big thank you for following.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I write poetry, too, but I wouldn't personally post poetry here. I think there are better places for that elsewhere. This site is best-suited to factual and how-to articles.

The main selling point for this site is that you can earn for writing, but poetry is unlikely to earn here for the reasons that Bev/Ragged Edge outlined.

That said, there is a small but active group of poetry writers and I've no reason to think that they are unwelcoming, if a welcome is what you require.

Whether a poem is appreciated, or not, is really a subjective thing, as I'm sure you will know. So the answer to that question is impossible to predict. wink

1. profile image0

Thanks, Paul. Yes, she said that article of 1000 words length will attract more impressions than a poem. But does that mean that poems don’t make any  impressions? I am sorry but I am confused.

1. NateB11 profile image86
        NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

To me, the main issue is volume of traffic. Poetry does not attract traffic from the search engine, so does not bring in enough readers to create earnings. Search engines are by and large based in getting traffic according to article titles and content - both have to be something searchers type into the search engine query. Put simply, people don't type words into Google Search that have the words in your article title or in your article content if you write poetry. Let's say Allen Ginsberg was writing poetry on Hubpages. Let's say he published "Howl" here. The title "Howl" wouldn't attract readers, it's too broad. People might search for, "why do coyotes howl" and even then, if you had that as a title, I'm guessing the competition is high on that phrase. And then your content would have to be significant, with information on why coyotes howl.

Generally, poetry titles and content do not attract traffic from the search engine.

1. profile image0

Thank you for sharing these details

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

It's not a matter of having people appreciate your poetry.  It's a matter of attracting organic traffic. As Bev (theraggededge) explained, you earn Ad revenue when you get a large number of search engine traffic.

Undoubtedly, other authors here on HubPages will appreciate your poetry. But I don't think that's what you were actually concerned about if you hope to make money with your poems. If you intend to make money, poetry is known not to be a valuable method.

The reason for that is because poems generally don't provide answers to questions that people search for online. That's why you won't get many views. As long as you understand the expectations, go for it and enjoy sharing your creativity with people who care. You will find acceptance here. Welcome to HubPages!

1. profile image0

When users on Hubpages read our content, do we get impressions? What are the benefits of attracting organic traffic? How can my titles help me in increasing traffic while I'm writing poetry? 

6. Misbah786 profile image82
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Hi Zeenat,

For the past eight months, I've been writing on HubPages. I am a poet, but I also write on a variety of topics such as psychology, health, social issues, cooking, and quotes. All of them are topics that I enjoy writing. The reason I write about various topics is not to make money.

I don't write on HP to earn money. I currently have 117 published articles, all of them are featured and the majority of them are on niche sites. Sixty of them are poetry, I guess.

It is true that LetterPile does not generate a lot of traffic, as many people on this forum have already stated, but there are a lot of people in our lovely community who enjoy writing poetry and reading other people's work as well.

I believe that HubPages is a terrific platform for exercising one's creativity, and receiving comments/feedback from others on your work is a bonus. It has been a privilege for me to be a member of HP's wonderful family.

I write and enjoy reading poems. I also appreciate your poems. I've read a few of your poems, and they're extremely well- written, and you have a lovely way of expressing yourself. Your work is amazing.

You stated in this thread that just 3 out of 8 of your articles are moved to niche. I just checked your profile and saw that 6 out of 8 are on LetterPile, that is a huge accomplishment. It means that HubPages value poets/creative writers and poetry, that's why they have a niche called 'LetterPile.' In fact, we have hubbie awards every year, and one of the categories is "The Best Poet."

Having said that, I'd like to tell you that not all poems are simply transferred to niche sites. Some of my very good poems are still on discover. HubPages do examine whether or not the work has the potential to move to a niche, even if it is a poem.

You already have many good followers, and you are doing an amazing job so far. If, you're having trouble finding people who like to write and appreciate poetry. You can see my followers and followings list by visiting my profile. You'll be surprised to learn that there's a lot of enthusiasm on HubPages for writing and appreciating poetry.

I wish you best of luck and once again welcome to HubPages. We are very happy to have you here with us. smile

Sending Blessings to you!!!

1. profile image0

Thanks, Misbah. Your response is motivating and encouraging.

1. Misbah786 profile image82
        Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

My Pleasure, Zeenat. I wish you best of luck. Keep going! smile
        Blessings to you!!!

1. profile image0

Thanks for the best wishes!!

7. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Hello Zeenat. You haven't been here long and I am already one of your followers. You do write excellent poetry. I have been here 12 years and have over 1000 followers. Probably 75% of what I write here is poetry.

One thing that I have learnt over time is to incorporate your poetry into an article. To do this provide a commentary and some useful information relevant to the poetry included, also unless the poem is of significant length, include more than one poem in each article. I have a series called "Poems From the Porch" where I usually have 3 or 4 poems in each article and usually try to make the total artical around 1000 words.

I also write the occasional informational article on things that interest me such as gardening, ghostwriting, animals and pets, the environment etc. so that everything I have here isn't just poetry, though that is my passion.

There are other places you can write poetry such as "All Poetry" and "The Creative Exiles" but most aren't paying. You may not get rich from poetry here but you can make some, and that's better than nothing. There are some great poets here, so read their work, and they may reciprocate. Good luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you, John. I appreciate your help. I will try to follow your advice. Glad to connect with you here.

8. bhattuc profile image79
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Only advice which I can give from my experience is write and write and contribute and contribute and it will take some time but after that the work will be appreciated by others. It takes time to reach that level and patience is the only key.

1. profile image0

Thank you, bhattuc. I appreciate your kind advice

9. emge profile image79
    emgeposted 2 years ago

First I will say that the only way you can earn money on this site is when you write long articles and keywords that Google can expand. Second, lots of writers on this site write poetry and I am sure they are a happy lot, so if your aim is just to enjoy yourself you can write poetry and there will be a few who will appreciate but honestly for poetry there are so many other sites.

1. profile image0

I see. Every other person have a different point of view here regarding  poetry. But I am happy to see that there are some people who welcomes The Art of Poetry.  Thank you, MG Singh.

10. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

If I use a poetry writing app and crank it up and feed the hopper with words and press "start", is the poem that comes out my work, or am I plagiarising?

Edit: I haven't tried any yet, but if I could draw cartoons, that's how I I would visualise and sketch the contraption.

1. profile image0

I don't know if there is any poetry app. Writing poetry is creativity. I don't think computers have feeling and emotions to write poetry for us. I hope my answer makes sense. Animation is a completely different thing.

I can agree with you. Poetry is creative. It also comes with emotion and feelings.

1. profile image0

That's really true. Thank you!

You're welcome.

11. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

My passion is poetry & mostly everything I post on Hubpages is a poem.
    You will find a lot of grrat people here who love poetry & enjoy reading your work.
    I try to post a summary of the poem & a couple of videos that seem to go with it.
    I find them on YouTube.

Maybe a callout where you can write a quote.
    And a few photos you can take yourself or find on a free site like Pixabay or Pexels.

Don't put too many poems in one article because HP has a way of making them look dissected by placing ads in between our words, but they are working on that one for us.

This is no get rich quick scheme, lol...how I wish it was!  But great friends & a few dollars down the road is awesome.

1. profile image0

Thank you for the guidance, Brenda!

12. Poet Archana Das profile image57
    Poet Archana Dasposted 2 years ago

Hi Zeenat,

Welcome to Hubpages, I am also a poet. I do write poetry on hubpages, but as you say people don't appreciate. I agree. But, you can write your poetry and then explain the process and thought what made you write that poetry. I do follow the same. And sometime, I write article and to conclude I write my feeling through poetry. It gives me immense pleasure.

Hope you find it useful.

1. profile image0

Thank you for providing useful tips based on your experience, Archana

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)