Have you been sexually assaulted?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

I know this is a highly personal issue, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to post here about it.  Women of my generation (I'm 58) endured unwanted touching and sexual harassment.  We dealt with it, because most of the time, we knew it would be pointless to try and hold the perpetrators accountable.  I, specifically, have had these experiences:

- An unwanted kiss. I tried shoving him off, then bit his lip.  I was afraid he was going to hit me, he was so mad.  Instead, he called me a "f@#!in' b!tch," exited the car, and slammed the door behind him.  Why were we in a car together, you ask?  We were on our way to a conference and had stopped for coffee.  He was a member of our Board of Directors.  He was in his 50s; I was 27.  Never again have I ridden in a car alone with a male coworker.  I always find a way out of it.
    - A boob touch.  Intentional, brief, and infuriating.  Happened at a Christmas office party.  Again, he was older and higher up in the office chain. I did nothing except tell my female coworkers, all of whom had experienced some sort of unwanted BS from this guy.
    - A "come sit on Santa's lap."  Yeah, he was dressed as Santa, and yeah, another Christmas office party.  He was known for asking the women to "come sit on his lap." This was my first year, but the women were talking about it ahead of time, rolling their eyes and shaking their heads.  So I was prepared with a simple "No, thank you."  He was the Executive Director of the organization I worked for, and he was always cold to me after that.  Professional, polite, but cold.  It was noticeable. He didn't retaliate in any other way, but working with him was tense and I eventually found another job. Oh, and the other women sat on his lap.  It was supposed to be funny, but it really was just embarrassing and uncomfortable.

I don't think about these incidents very often, but since this issue is so dominant in our culture right now, I've been thinking about them and how it was so "accepted" by us women that we would have to deal with these types on a fairly regular basis.  We didn't like it, and we all talked about it, but we also felt it would do no good to fight it in any official or legal way.  So, when women come forward with these incidents, I believe them. 

Roy Moore is a predator.  Al Franken is a predator.  Donald Trump is a predator.  Bill Clinton is a predator.  Just as there are different degrees of murder or theft under the law, there are different degrees of sexual harassment and abuse.  Roy Moore sexually abused children.  Al Franken grabbed women against their wishes.  Are they the same?  Yes, but no.  Yes, they are both sexual crimes. No, one crime is far worse than the other.  Yet, some will defend Moore because he continues his predatory behavior by bullying his victims, calling them liars, threatening to sue.  Just like our president has done to his accusers.  Just like Clinton did with his.  Franken, at least, owns up to his transgressions.  That doesn't make it okay, but at least he is not continuing to bully his victims.  Can you really say Franken and Moore are the same, either in the crimes they committed, or in the way they are reacting to the allegations?  Franken is not my senator, but if he were, I'd call for him to resign.  We must have standards for our leaders.  Roy Moore, like Trump, is not fit to be dog catcher.  He certainly is not fit to be a senator of this great nation.  Come on, stop being partisan.  Stop defending the predators.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

I speak having been a supervisor of men and women ;
    Today , women should take great [er]care in the " never being alone " with any male coworker and especially a supervisor.   Any reputable company will tell it's supervisors , keep your office doors open !  Never put yourself alone with a female  underling in the office , conduct employee evaluations in public places and open spaces  restaurants , quiet fast food joints after rush hours , with a trusted fellow employee ...etc.......never, never  in a closed environment .   

Women owe it themselves to be aware enough of the possibilities to strategically avoid the encounter . They also , in my estimation , own the ability to out-think men , to control most   situations !  Problem , both men and women instigate and operate in far too personal  ways at work-sites  .  The hard part for women is to remain personally distant and  operate only in that mindset ,   don't bring up personal problems with male coworkers [marriage -boy friend problems etc.  ],  stay focused in a vigilance of self -protection . Never ride alone with coworkers or supervisors ..........

1. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's not just men, I've been sexually harassed by a woman too.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think you will agree that , that situational problem  is a little over-rated , easier to escape for a man and  to tell you the truth , sounds a little wimpy !

I think the O.P. means this a little more seriously.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)