Could you help me get this article onto WanderWisdom?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

Hi, everyone! My article "7 Facts About Japan That Aren't Actually True" has got quite a lot of views already and traffic will likely increase if it gets moved to a niche site. Shortly after publishing it, I got an email saying that it was eligible for WanderWisdom if:

Title/Subtitle Capitalization And Sizing:
    The title and subtitle of your article help your reader to navigate your article and get an idea of whether they trust or distrust your content. Proper capitalization goes a long way towards making your article reader-friendly. We require standard titlecase when formatting your titles and subtitles. See the APA guidelines for guidance. Additionally, using standard font sizing (the provided title and subtitle fields as well as Heading 2s) allows your reader to follow the structure of your article more easily.

Photos:
    Every article on Network Sites should have at least one high-quality photo. If there are multiple photos in the article, they should all be relevant to the content and visually appealing. Original photos—without watermarks—are always preferable to stock photos. If you must use stock photos, please choose them carefully and tastefully.

The article is here: https://hubpages.com/travel/Facts-About … ually-True

Sorry for the long read, but I don't want to submit it if I haven't fixed the problems as you can only submit an article once every two weeks (I think).

The pictures are all stock photos because it's quite difficult to come up with ideas relevant to the topic; however, I already deleted one stock image. If you have any ideas on how it can get it onto WanderWisdom, I would really appreciate it!

Sorry for the long post.
    - Poppy

1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The photos look fine for me. I looked at your sources. Are you sure they are all free to use?  One or two looked doubtful to me.

You can use photo-editing software to make the pictures "original." I crop photos and often add text to them. You have to make sure that the photos are 'free to adapt."

That's the only things I can think of.

I do find it very frustrating when we get these emails, they are so vague. Sometimes it is very hard to figure out what the editor wants and you can not reply to the email to ask.

poppyrposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Catherine smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You clearly have some problems with sentence structure, word usage and punctuation.  Here is an example

Your first paragraph reads:

Japan is a country of many things. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, fantastic cuisine that has gained popularity all around the globe, and a rich history that we can see in its people's traditions, architecture, and festivals. According to the Business Insider (2015), Japan is in the top 20 list of countries to visit, and in 2016, the country saw an all-time high of almost 20 million visitors.

Instead of "Japan is a country of many things" you should say "Japan is a diverse country".  For example, It has

1.  one of the lowest crime rates in the world,
      2.  fantastic cuisine that has gained popularity around the globe and
      3.  a rich history that we can see in its traditions, architecture and festivals.

Your last sentence should be divided into two sentences.  You don't need to quote the Business Insider in the first senence and the second should begin with  "In 2016 ....).

Using more appropriate words and listing things rather than stating them all in one sentence makes them much easier for people to read.  You should also limit your use of conjunctions whenever possible.

This is a nice article, but it needs updating as noted above.  Hope this helps.

Hi TimeTraveler,
        Those are nice ideas, but the email didn’t state that there was anything wrong with the text. Thank you for taking the time though, I really appreciate it.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image95
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

One of your subtitles is not in APA title case. “Have you ever been to Japan?” should be “Have You Ever Been to Japan?” I use the website capitalizemytitle to make sure all of my titles and subtitles are correct. These rules confuse me and using this tool is one way I am 100% sure I am right.

Other than that everything looks good to me. Maybe somebody else can give more advice.

Hi Eric, thank you for responding!
      I don't think it's the poll that's the problem. I don't put poll questions in the title case. Other articles with polls in that style (for example, the poll in this article: https://levelskip.com/horror/How-to-Com … ying-Light) do get moved to niche sites.

Plus if I edit it, the answers will disappear sad Thanks for the suggestion, though smile

2. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 6 years agoin reply to this

capitalizemytitle?? I learned something new today. Thanks for that idea. I'll be using it in the future.

3. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

The verbs "is" and "are" need to be capitalized in APA title case, too, even though they are short words. The same rule applies to "has."

Thank you, Alicia.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

All my photos are stock photos, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86

If the email specified those things in particular (capitalisation and photos), then concentrate on that.

People will always have ideas on to improve your text, but HubPages doesn't have a problem with it (otherwise they would've said so).  My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Your priority is to address the problems the HubPages editor has identified.  If you try making other improvements which haven't been requested, you might undo the very thing that's making the Hub a success.

I must admit I hadn't looked at your photos. There are problems with them.  If the photo is free to use and isn't under licence, the correct way to attribute it is to state the source, but don't paste in the URL.  So if you got a photo from Pixabay, you'd show "Pixabay" as the source but it won't be hyperlinked.  If you got it from Wikipedia/Wikimedia, Flickr, or any other site that offers photos under a Creative Commons licence, then they have specific attribution requirements and you need to paste in a specific URL.

Your other photos are illegal to use.   Have you read my Hub on how to use photos legally?  I think it might be worth it.  The rule is easy - ALL photos on the internet are copyright, unless you can find a statement saying otherwise.  I can't see anything on Japan Today or Know Your Meme that gives permission to use their photos, so you can't use them (unless you write to them and ask permission).

Oh, and if you've been invited to submit an article, it's an extra - it doesn't count as one of the "one every two weeks".

Thank you for all your kind words and help. I’ll fix the images. I actually didn’t know about the “once every two weeks” rule not applying in this case, so it’s very useful if you to point it out. Thanks big_smile

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77

About the source url: It is my impression that yu must always show the slurce url so that the editors cn check that the pictures are free of copyright violations.(That is why the source url box is there.) If I use a photo that is not free to use, I get permission from the owner of the picture and then add "Courtesy of (name)" or "By permission."  If you didn't use the source url, maybe that is the problem

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are right, Catherine - if the conditions of use say you must attribute the photo, then you must paste in the source URL.  However it's not so that the editors can check, because they don't!  HubPages editors don't police the legal use of photos (which I think is a pity, but it's the way it is).  It's up to us to be aware of the substantial risks and do the right thing.

So, to clarify - if you're using a photo that's free to use under a Creative Commons license, then you must paste in the URL because that's what the law requires.  If you're using a photo from a site that says no attribution is required, then you don't paste in the URL (but as a courtesy, it's nice to state the name of the site). 

Thanks for pointing out how my post could be misunderstood, I'll go back and fix it.

Thanks Marissa. When I joined three years ago I thought HP checked. I might have misunderstood or mis remembered.

At that time, I think we ALL believed they checked.  I think they probably wanted us to think that, because it helped keep us in line!  In fact, I'm not sure they ever have.  The only real reason to use photos legally is that it can be very, very, VERY expensive if you do it illegally.  It is rare for a blogger to be sued, but when it does happen, it can cost thousands of dollars. That's enough of a reason for me!

Thanks for clarifying, Marissa. I'll continue to do the Pixabay attribution and I'll put the url in just to cover all the bases.

Hubbers should be aware that not all flickr images can be freely used.

Very true.  Even the Flickr photos that can be used, must have the correct attribution (i.e. to the photographer personally, not to Flickr). 

I noticed someone recently who got into trouble for inserting the Pixabay URL on all his photos, because it was too many links. I'm confused about that because I thought Pixabay was exempt, but it's something to be aware of.  What I do, if all my photos are from Pixabay, is to put a "Photo Credits" section at the end of the Hub which says, "All photographs courtesy of Pixabay".

I often combine Pixabay images to create my own unique image. I list Pixabay as the source and then put 2 or 3 urls into the url box separated by the word and.  It has never been a problem.

In my recent hub 'Trump Anxiety Syndrome", if you scroll down to the Jail house picture at the end, I have combine 3 Pixabay images. I put all three urls into the box.

Have you tried clicking on the link, though?   When you post more than one link in the box, the system can't separate them so it just takes you to the first image.

3. paperfacets profile image86
      paperfacetsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

All I can say is wording is very very important to get a Hub into WW. I have been told  "grammar errors through-out". Don't forget a comma because it is not acceptable. I have had ALL travel Hubs rejected. I use all my own photos, so stock may be acceptable.

I have absolutely given up on pleasing that niche. Catherine,  I do not want to  discourage your efforts. Keep working on your Hub.

ps  per an email, WanderWisdom is flooded with work and is waiting for additional staffing.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86

One more general point about the "once every two weeks" rule (you may know this already, I just want to make sure):

Since the niche sites were launched, EVERY new Hub is considered for the niche sites automatically.  If it hasn't been moved to a niche site within a month or so, it's not good enough.  So there is no point in manually submitting that Hub using the "submit to a network site" button, because it won't succeed.  You will need to identify why the Hub failed, and fix it, before you try submitting it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)