I need a pep talk

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I'm on day 14 and have written 11 hubs.  I am feeling burned out.  I have ideas about what to write, so no writer's block, just have the BLAHS.  I don't want to fall too much more behind in the challenge because catching up would be hard.  I need to focus on writing shorter hubs, but that's hard to me.  Brevity is not my forte.  Just need a pep talk because I REALLY want to complete this challenge I've posed for myself.  Any inspirational words?  My revenue has gone up a tiny bit, that helps.  Thanks, guys.

Laura

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mami, you're a word scribe - live up to your NAME! Does that help? smile

2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I felt the same a few days ago (maybe day 12) and for a change just wrote a lovely Poem. Something different for a change but that's if your into poetry.

3. Silver Rose profile image66
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is this syndrome where you can't publish until the hub is "perfect", which can take forever.

Actually, given that no-one really reads the hub in the first few days, produce a "satisfactory" hub of about 400 words, publish it, and then go back and revise over the next few days as and when you want to.

That way, you get the hubs up, so feel you are achieving things, but your hubs slowly lengthen and improve over time too (and the Googlebot likes the fresh revised content). You will end up with really long perfect hubs by the time the challenge is completed but will have spread the work out and not have been hindered by "perfection paralysis".

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perfection paralysis, I love it, you pegged it quite well.  I like that advice, Silver Rose.  It makes sense to have a tweakable hub for Google.  Thanks for that input.

Lady E, I think I've finally settled on my next hub topic, one that's fun and will readily flow.  I do love poetry as well.  In fact, it's bar none my favorite kind of writing.

4. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Laura I was just feeling the same way. Ive got the ideas but I'm tired & I just had my toe operated on not that I write with my feet !

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

So wordscribe41, let's toughen up and get through the blahs. You seem to be interested in more revenue. Well, when my hub numbers went from about 30 (which is where you are now) to 100, my revenue increased by 416%. And it didn't start at pennies. I've made a google payout each month. Made lots at Amazon.

If you really want to make serious money here you have to write hubs, lots of them. To make money consistently online, requires a big effort.

Gosh, since you have ideas, write write write. Long hubs is good. Just write lots of them.

Okay, I'm ready to write more hubs. Hopes this helps. Wish you well. smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish you both well, I have not had the courage to start yet.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Wordscribe, I blame the twins! Seriously though, the way you can pump out a top limerick in a few seconds impresses the hell out of me!
    Can you do something using your wonderful humor?

4. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Laura .............. Time Out!! Take a weekend break with the kids.  You will achieve your goal.  I only have 3 up and 12 half done.  Now if you were like that you would have reason to worry big_smile

Time Out Laura; You're a Winner.. So you will win! Don't bring down things on yourself JGG-san.

Enjoy a weekend of family time... it will freshen you. Trust Me. hmm

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Laura I just read through a bunch of your hubs. They are wonderful. Just let the words pour out. Write write write.

6. profile image0

Great advice, all.  Nellie, I know it't true, you are so right.  It just helps to HEAR it.  Thanks.

Pearldiver, I think I do need a time-out, you're right.  I will go put myself in a lovely time-out now that 2 of the 3 kids are asleep.  My twins never rest, I tell you.

Earnest, you are SO good for my ego (free trip to the states, plus accomodations in the nut house).  I think I need to stress a little less about keywords and have some more fun.

Thank you all, I feel infinitely better.  I CAN DO IT. 

Signed, JGG-San, aka Wordscribe, and most accurately, Laura.

7. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Good to hear, Laura. You are too good a writer to not finish this challenge. I know you'll be back better than ever!

8. profile image0

Thanks, RedElf,  Oh, hear me now, I'm going to finish.  I AM enjoying the challenge, I truly am.  Just had some inertia, hate it when that happens.  Glad to know there's support, we have a little HubChallenge family over here.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope you don't have to give up on the limericks to fit it all in, smile I love your stuff there, it is very clever.

1. profile image0

Give up limericks?  Ha!  Would I forgo the very air I breathe?  No...  I NEED the limericks thread, it is my sustenance, Earnest.  What would I do without my Aussie pals over there?  I'd be lost, by golly.  Can barely write an un-limerick post in the regular forums.  They run deep in my blood.  I love yours, too.  I net a good hour per day laughing over there.  Thanks for the support.

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hey, you are doing great Wordscribe! Whatever you decide, we still love you smile

1. profile image0

Sorry about the double post, but thanks, Misha.  I love you, too.  smile

10. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Wordscribe, if you need a paradigm shift once in a while, feel free to drop by my poetic-humor site.  It won't make me any money or pump my ego or anything; I just figure that if you eyeball a few pages over there--where all of the "contributions", even, are just me writing under fake names to make the site look a tad less one dimensional--um, where was I?

Oh. Yeah.  You take a look at those, you're bound to think, "If this guy can write ridculous so-called humor like this and call it a whole freaking website, hey, I think I'll crank out TWO today before breakfast; they couldn't be any worse!"

Or something like that.

11. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Here's what I'd do... write your next 10 hubs, but don't DON'T publish them until they're all written. And put in capsules. And when you've got them ready to go PUBLISH.

It creates a lot of tension. You'll almost burst. You'll be itching to publish. In fact, see if you can last for a whole 19.

I've got 9 hubs all ready to hit publish, and another 2 that I have ready to copy and paste into hubs, so by the end of the night I'll have 11 like you. But I don't feel burnt out. I feel frustrated. But not in a terrible way. I'm making myself wait until all 30 are ready.

I haven't done it this way before. Try it. It's like the kama sutra of hub making. big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh, the patience you have.  But, I'm digging the idea, "the kama sutra of hub making"  lol  I can see how dangling the carrot might be just what I need.  I can see how that's more exciting and filled with anticipation.  I definitely need a change of strategy.  Thanks, darkside.

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Will you stop giving out hubsex?  You know what it does to me...

12. wannabwestern profile image94
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

Feeling tired too. I am going to try Darkside's approach. Thanks for sharing your feelings Wordscribe. You've set off a cathartic moment for a lot of us.

1. profile image0

Glad I could help, it's the social worker in me coming out.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)