What are easy and cheap dinners that a single guy can make at home?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

What are easy and cheap dinners that a single guy can make at home?

2. Chris Eddy111 profile image68
    Chris Eddy111posted 15 years ago

Stir fried chicken with veggies/rice/salad/potatoes
    grilled cheese sandwich
    barbecue hot dog, chicken breasts, beef patties, pork chops, steak
    Mac and cheese
    corned beef(can), sardines, tuna, salmon, crab meat, (just open can and heat)

3. J. Kumm profile image60
    J. Kummposted 15 years ago

My favorite single guy ingredient is canned tuna. It's good for you, packed with healthy fats, and high in protien. It's also affordable and you can store it forever.

Tuna Mix

If you're a health buff, have this with a can of beans (your choice) for a protein loaded low carb, low cal load up.

1 Can of Tuna
    Mustard to taste
    Sour Creme to taste
    Diced Tomatoes
    Diced Avocado
    Salt and Pepper

Tuna Melt

1 Can of Tuna
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Mustard and Mayo
    Mushrooms
    Tomatoes
    Shredded Cheese

Spread Tuna Mayo/Mustard mix on bread, top with sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese. Bake or toast for 10 minutes with Tuna on one side, and tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese, on the other side. Combine toasted sides and eat up.

Ghetto Tuna Mac
    1 Package of Mac & Cheese
    1 Can of Tuna
    1/4-1/2 package of Frozen Mixed Veggies
    Shredded Cheddar

Boil mac and add frozen veggies toward the end of cook time, drain together, add tuna and remaining ingredients from mac/cheese recipe, sprinkle with shredded cheddar and bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.

Mashed Doggs

Pre-cooked Cheddar Brats (or any hot dog)
    Country Crock Mashed Potatoes (pre made in the meat isle)
    Shredded Cheddar

Slice the hot dogs length-wise but not completely through, split the dogs down the middle and put them on a baking sheet skin side up, spoon on mashed potatoes and then cover with shredded cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

4. profile image49
    cheekyracer76posted 15 years ago

I have got to say Spaghetti! It can be made pretty cheap depending of course of where you live...
    Here is my fast version ( and yes I used the name brands here...you will love the taste!).

1. a pound of ground beef ( try to get the least fat in it for health reasons, and go natural if you can as well. Although choosing the later will make the price go up, so choose more fat now and you get to keep for 3 months on your thighs for later. You could also subsitute in turkey or a soybased product.)

2. Prego's "Roasted Garlic & Herb", it is (imo) the best bottled sauce and not too bad on the price.

3. Hearland's 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles ( get your fiber on!)

4. Fresh romaine greens and some grape tomatoes.

5. Good Season's Italian (all natural) Salad Dressing mix ( there is usually a cruet mixer sold near by and dont forget the oil and vinegar!)

Directions:

Follow the directions on the mix for the salad dressing and place in the fridge for later.

Start a medium to large pot with water and either a few tablespoons of oil or a teaspoon of sea salt ( or tablesalt if you have that instead)for the pasta, but do not add the pasta till the water has come to a complete boil.

Fry the ground beef in a frying pan with a lid cover till brown on a medium to high heat...  stirring the meat around to ensure all the meat is evenly cooked.

As those items are cooking start washing the veggies and then check the meat and water.

If the water is boiling add the noodles and lower the tempurature to a medium to high heat till the pasta is cooked to your liking ( mine is al' dente: firm but completely cooked).

If the meat is an all around nice greyish brown and there is no pink left... add the sauce and lower the heat to simmer with the lid on.

While those continue on the burners you can swiftly chop up the romaine leaves and add the grape tomates to the mix.

This dinner usually takes me about an hour if I have to start from scratch.

5. TurnipTornado profile image61
    TurnipTornadoposted 15 years ago

Don't forget healthy. Oh dear. Hot dogs are not ideal.  LENTILS are your answer. They are ridiculously cheap (dry bag of them is a buck) and easy to make. Boil and simmer. They are great with tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and garlic.

6. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 15 years ago

I like what is called an Enchilada Casserole:

Ingredients are as follows:
    10 to 20 (Flour/Corn) Tortillas

3 lbs of Ground meat

1/2 cup of ripe olives (I prefer Black)

Sour Cream

Mozerralia Cheese

Mild Cheddar Cheese

Season Salt
    Garlic Salt Chili Powders

Scrabble your meat in a skillet (Season to Taste)

Get a 2 inch baking pan and layer your tortillas on the pan then meat then cheese and olives follow this routine until the pan is full the top layer should be all cheese bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes (or until hot all the the way through!

7. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 15 years ago

This Hub I wrote was the 2nd one I ever wrote.
    Tried and True ,appears complicated at first( faster in a slow kinda way if you have a crock pot) but I have 3 sons who have made it ,froze some then took 2days to eat the rest.
    Its worth it!!
    Substitute the watercress with canned spinach ( which will only need heating,not actually cooking)
    Although I got my watercress straight out of the river ,here in the states I notice Asian Foodmarkets have fresh supplies.

http://hubpages.com/hub/onepotcompletemeal
    The best thing about this meal is its very forgiving,wont matter if you forget to add an ingredient.

8. Enigmatic Me profile image77
    Enigmatic Meposted 14 years ago

I've got a meal and then a dessert (I always misspell that word.. did I spell it correctly this time?).

Cheap....
    Chicken thighs at your local grocer will always be cheaper than chicken breast. It is also more moist, so baking it in the oven is easier.. flavor remains and it does not get dry as easily.

Potatoes ... cheapest veggie out there.
    And last ingredient Bacon... who doesn't like bacon? (I know there are reasons for not eating it... I just like it myself).

So.
    Step one:
    Unpackage the chicken and bacon.
    Take the bacon and wrap it around one thigh.
    Place the thigh in a baking dish. (repeat for the amount of portions you wish).

Take about 3-4 medium sized potatoes, cut them into quarters. Place them in the dish around the bacon wrapped thighs. Drizzle an ample amount of olive or vegetable oil over the potatoes. (You can add spice of your choice as well... though the potato will take in the flavor of the bacon and chicken).

Place in oven on 395 fareinheit for 45 minutes.
    Oh sooooo good.

While waiting for this to cook you can do an easy no bake cheese cake.

Ingredients:
    1 block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    2 boxes of Jello Vanilla Pudding
    3 cups of milk
    1 container of Cool whip (tub the size of margarine tub)
    1 box of whole graham crackers
    1 can of pie filling (flavor of your choice... I love blueberry)

Pour the 2 packets of Jello pudding into a bowl, whisk in the 3 cups of milk. The Philly Cream Cheese should be atleast room temperature as you fold then whisk the cream cheese into this same bowl.  Then when there are little to no clumps, add the container of cool whip. Fold in, do not whisk.

Place the Graham crackers on the bottom of the dish. Make sure that the whole bottom of the dish is covered. Pour mixture over the graham crackers. Use a spoon to level out the mixture over the graham crackers. Add a second layer of cracker, then finish off top with mixture and the can of pie filling.

Place into the fridge. Leave for 1-2 hours. This way the graham cracker gets moist and a little damp. Easy to cut, and very very tasty!

There ya go... supper for a Saturday night!

9. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

TV dinners silly. It cant get much easier. All you have to know how to do is read and run a microwave. lol

10. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

If you like chicken and you like rice, check out my hub that gives three super easy and inexpensive recipes.

http://hubpages.com/hub/ChickenAndRice

11. Linda's Hub Pages profile image60
    Linda's Hub Pagesposted 14 years ago

You can make this meal for one or many.This meal is for one.
    For the main course,you will need:
    1 burrito,can of chili,shredded cheddar cheese,chopped onion if desired.
    Fry burrito till crispy,put in small dish for oven,top with chili,cheese,bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or till cheese melts.add chopped onion if desired.or just pop in microwave.
    If you want rice with that,you will need a box of individual rice.and picante sauce.
    boil one rice bag,empty in bowl & add picante to your taste.
    You can also have can refried beans,add a little milk to beans,top with chedder cheese,add some chips on the side & there you go,a three course meal for one.

12. wildsurgg profile image47
    wildsurggposted 14 years ago

how about a chicken fatties real easy to make also small tuscan pork roast wrapped in bacon with mash potatoes and asparagus with gravy i have a receipt for it if you want it or cheese steak sandwiches      Cheese steak sandwiches
               For a family of 1

Ingredients

1)    2- pounds of  good shaved steak
    2)    Peppers onions mushrooms can buy frozen bag from market to save time
    3)    Cheese cheddar or American Swiss ect. ect.
    4)    4 fresh bulky sub rolls
    5)    Salt and pepper

Cook the steak over medium heat with peppers onions and mushrooms until fully cooked and add salt and pepper to the pan and top with the cheese you chose and put on the sub roll and serve.
    Cost is about 8.00 dollars

Wildsurgg 
    have lots more if your interested

13. Balinese profile image40
    Balineseposted 14 years ago

pasta bolognaise is the easy way for a single guy

14. Gabby Spokan profile image61
    Gabby Spokanposted 14 years ago

I can never get enough of hotdogs.  I think its because you can put so many different condiments  on them.

15. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Sausage, Beans and Rice.
    1. Baked beans(any flavor)
    2. White long rice
    3.. Dinner sausage

Cook the rice, heat the beans, heat  sliced sausage. Add rice and beans to sausage. Then low heat for about about 15 minutes.

Pancakes wrapped around a sausage link hand rolled and dipped into syrup of choice.

16. JulietduPreez profile image70
    JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

get a stir-fry pan. You can throw anything in it and it cooks like a charm.
    Chicken (beef or pork) strips and pre-sliced veg. Then just cook rice or pasta to go with it.

17. Auntie M profile image60
    Auntie Mposted 14 years ago

Boneless chicken breast usually goes on sale for $1.79 to $1.99 A ILB.  and there are many ways to prepare it. I often love to grill thick pieces seasoned with just salt and pepper. Then I prepare a quick salad using the greens of choice sometimes changing off on the dressing. I also often add fruit like orange pieces, apples, pears, or strawberries adding just olive oil and balsomic vinegar garlic powder,salt and pepper to taste. Healthy, filling, taste good,

18. easetravels profile image61
    easetravelsposted 14 years ago

Rice in south India is a common base food. Asingle guy can easily cook it.And make Veg.Briyani with that. It is easy and cheap also. Above all it is nutritious. Keep the cooked rice ready to make Briyani.
    Now, take a pan and add oil (refined oil is enough) and heat it.
    Add fine cut potato and fry.When its colour changes to little brown add fine cut  onion and boiled soya chunks and let it fry for a moment. Add chilly powder to your taste and add salt to your taste. Mix this masala (curry) with the required quantity of cooked rice and serve. This food is pure vegetarian and good for health also. Easy to cook. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. profile image53
    Jdwhitposted 14 years ago

First advise for a single that wants to cook. Get a “Food Saver” it allows you to make plastic bags that you can vacuum seal then freeze. You can save meat in the freezer for close to a year with no freezer burn. You can cook larger meals (pot of chili, pot roast, smoke ribs, etc.) and put individual portions in bags, freeze then vacuum seal, and store in the freezer. Later take a bag out and put it in boiling water to heat and it’s as good as the night it was cooked. I have a large Bar-B-Que pit that takes a lot of wood to fire up. So I load it up with ribs, brisket, chicken and pork chops when I fire it up. Portion everything up in bags, freeze then vacuum and seal them (if you vacuum them before you freeze the vacuum will suck the juice out of the meat and it will be dry when you reheat). Weeks or months later I boil a bag to reheat and I swear it tastes just like it just came off the smoker.
    Next advice, go to Sam’s or Costco and buy a whole “cryovac” Rib eye. Take it home, take it out of the cryovac packaging, wash and dry it. Put it on a cutting board and cut it into ¾ to 1-inch steaks. You should get 12 to 14 steaks. Take the time to trim up each steak, and save the trimmings, them vacuum seal each steak and freeze. Take the trimmings and cut out every morsel of meat, you should end up with a pound to two pounds of meat scraps. Cut them into very small pieces (the size of a diced onions) bag, vacuum and freeze. In the morning take a steak out and put it in the fridge to thaw for dinner (if you forget you can always put a bag with a frozen steak in water in your sink for half an hour to one hour and it will thaw), stick a potato in the oven, throw the steak on the grill and be happy. Oh and those trimmings you saved, make a pot of chili the first cold Fall day, you have never tasted chili until you have rib eye chili.

20. Leenie Pooh profile image61
    Leenie Poohposted 14 years ago

Dinner 1: frozen meatballs, pasta sauce, pasta. Make enough to have leftovers.

Dinner 2: Add Dinner 1 leftovers to boxed roasted red pepper and tomato soup.

Dinner 3: Add frozen veggies to boxed mac n' cheese. Make enough to have leftovers.

Dinner 4: Beat together 2 eggs with 1 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in leftovers from Dinner 3. Pour into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until dish moves a little when gently shaken but is not liquidy. Top with any of the following that you have around:
    * cracker crumbs
    * crushed cereal
    * crushed potato chips
    * bread crumbs
    Bake for another 10 minutes.

21. nifty@50 profile image68
    nifty@50posted 14 years ago

When I think cheap and easy stews come to mind. Just get a good big piece of beef or pork roast (ask the butcher for help) put celery ,onion,carrots and the meat and 12oz water into a crock pot  2 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper 2 tsp garlic and let it slow cook 3 to 4 hours or until the meat comes off the bone. You can eat as a stew or serve the stew over white rice or with noddles. Try my other recipes:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Classic-Cuban-S … -Bean-Soup http://hubpages.com/hub/Jalapeno-Cheese-meatloaf http://hubpages.com/hub/Super-Quick-Chicken-quesadillas http://hubpages.com/hub/Chicken-and-Che … -Casserole

22. Jay Louidor profile image59
    Jay Louidorposted 13 years ago

Cheap dinner? Buy yourself sum ham and sum hotdogs. Fry them up and throw them in sum rice. That'll cost you 4 to 5 tops. But you'll have enough food for 4 days to 5 days. Not 4 stars, but you get what you pay for. Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

23. profile image58
    boblet42posted 13 years ago

Do you have food that is just about to go out of is sell by date, or is it a Brit thing, after all our Asda has been gobbled up by the yanks KMart, I can get a specialiy loaf from ASDA for pennies just before midnight.

24. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

Mac and cheese, pasta, pizza, and chicken.  There is a ton more, but these are pretty easy to prepare and experiment with.

25. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Simple to make delicious, savory meal meant to be served with bread to sop up all the juices.  Step by step photos. read more

26. Ayeshafarid profile image59
    Ayeshafaridposted 8 years ago

I have an easy recipe that can fit into any meal try this http://ayeshafarid.hubpages.com/hub/Ben … Gram-Flour

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)