Why are People Unable to Look Straight into the Eyes of Each Other When in an El

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Why are People Unable to Look Straight into the Eyes of Each Other When in an Elevator? (minimum 150 words)

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It isn't that they're "unable" to.  It's more a matter of etiquette and generally being aware of normal social behavior.  People may make eye contact when they first get in the elevator, or if there's reason to make contact during the ride they may exchange quick looks. 

Other than that, people generally don't want to appear to either by trying to engage the other person in conversation, confrontational, or (for lack of a better term) "weird".

The fact that the elevator is closed in, and a crime could be committed behind the closed doors, makes it even more likely that people (especially men, concerned about appearing to be a potential threat) want to make it clear they have not interest in bothering the other person.  Another reason is that people who don't want to catch the attention of a "weirdo" know that making eye contact may do that.

In many ways, and potential (relatively rare) threats aside, there is just a "normal social behavior" that kicks in more dramatically, as people find themselves in smaller spaces with strangers.

3. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Well, I'll speak for myself.  If I do not want to make conversation, small talk etc. I tend not to look anyone in the eye in the elevator.

However, if I mistakenly do, (lol) I give them a quick smile and look away.

4. profile image0
    danmayerisgodposted 14 years ago

Have you ever been on an elevator with a stranger and found one or both of you unwilling or unable to make eye contact? Ever wonder why? Well, it kind of depends.  They say the eyes are the window to the soul. I'm not sure who "they" are, but they... read more

5. Tamarii2 profile image57
    Tamarii2posted 14 years ago

IT HAPPENNED TO ME LOOKING AT SOMEONE ON ELEVATOR.I THOUGHT I KNEW THE PERSON
    AND I BELIEVE I COULD HAVE DIED IF THE DOOR DID NOT OPEN.PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE IN THEIR SPACE.IF YOU WANT TO LIVE LONGER DO NOT STARE AT PEOPLE WHEN THEY FEEL CLOSED IN.MY HUSBAND DID IT ONE TIME AND I ALMOST KNOCKED HIS SIDES OUT. WE WERE IN ANOTHER STATE HE WAS ON ELEVATOR STARING AT THIS WOMEN,IT HAD BEEN 15 YEARS SINCE HIGH SCHOOL.HE TOLD ME THAT THE GIRL IN THE BACK OF ELEVATOR MIGHT BE CLASSMATE.WE WERE VISTING FRIENDS NEVER BEEN TO THAT STATE.GUESS WHAT HE WAS RIGHT.BUT I WAS NOT ALL SMILE BECAUSE HE MADE HER FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE...SHE SAID...BUT ALL ENDED WELL.

6. Gem-Gem-x profile image60
    Gem-Gem-xposted 14 years ago

Well only being 14, i dont really know these sorts of things in detail, but what i do know, is that in an elevator if there is someone your age you can too feel embarrassed. Also, if someone is looking at you, as you can feel it or even see it i just want to die.
    once me and some mates were in town, and we spilt coffee on our tights, so had to take them off. But we were wearing mini shorts, so you can imagine the type of looks we got in the elevator!

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

lol.....i think because you are sharing a tight space with a stranger/strangers, and there really be no connection outside of knowing who you are sharing this space with for the time that you are in case something shady were to take place.   If someone has an interest to stare in your face much less you eyes, then they are cruising you AKA trying to pick you up!!!  Yuk---

Vonda G. Nelson

8. ladyjane1 profile image69
    ladyjane1posted 13 years ago

Because its "AAAKKWWARDDD!!!!

People in general do not like to look each other in the eyes in my opinion, being a hairdresser I learned to look people straight in the eyes when talking to them, so that we know that we are on the same page, but I have noticed when I talk to strangers and look them in the eye that they look away way before I do, I guess because Im used to doing it,it doesn't bother me, but in the case of an elevator, it's already a little awkward being in an elevator with strangers and doubly awkward to look someone in the eye as well. Cheers.

9. tattoodesigns.net profile image60
    tattoodesigns.netposted 13 years ago

Looking in the eye is not that awkward in my opinion. Just relax, and go with the flow. I think that most people feel judged when you stare and them and dont say anything.

What I find even more awkward though is when you walk into an elevator, there are 2 or more people who were talking and they then stop.

I don't know. Humans suck.

10. drbillfannin profile image60
    drbillfanninposted 13 years ago

Are you gathering info for a Hub or article? Who asks for minimums?

11. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

I wouldn't do that at all. Born and raised in NY I know that is not something you would want to do, especially there. Not only would they think you are a freak but you may also get cursed out in front of everyone else that is in the elevator. I have glanced at people and have caught there eye for a second or two but that is all.

What I have done is complimented people on an elevator if I like something that they were wearing or if the cologne or perfume they have on smells good. That is the extent I have gone to and I have gotten thank you's. Thats about it.

12. badegg profile image81
    badeggposted 13 years ago

Because one of them farted. Once a person farts in an elevator, they look straight down at the floor.

13. Precious Warren profile image57
    Precious Warrenposted 13 years ago

I will tell you why, I don't do it... Half the time I don't know what to say or if I should say anything. We are only on there for a second and may not see that person again.

It's just not on the elevator... it is also on the street, at a resturant and driving by in a car.

We as humans sometimes do not want to be bumbarded with other humans issues or problems, we just want to get where we are going and not have to hold a meaningless conversation about something we could care less about.

It's the same concept when we are walking in a hallway or in the path of someone else and we all of a sudden meet the other persons eye... we do a quick (fake) grin an avert our eyes in the other direction...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)